Marco Silva

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IanMcL
Been Liked: 6362 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Re: Marco Silva

Post by IanMcL » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:49 pm

Marco Silva: Everton boss looks set to remain in charge for trip to Leicester

By Phil McNultyChief football writer

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6447 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:06 pm

FactualFrank wrote:It might be why he's still in a job. I doubt they want to bring in a new manager who then goes on to lose 6-7 on the bounce.
Exactly what Frank said. They’d be mad to expose a new manager to that run of games and expect the fans to get on board. Best to let Silva try and get something/anything from those games
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by ClaretEngineer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:35 pm

IanMcL wrote:Marco Silva: Everton boss looks set to remain in charge for trip to Leicester

By Phil McNultyChief football writer
He’ll be out of a job by full time then.

Leicester will roast Everton.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:38 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:Exactly what Frank said. They’d be mad to expose a new manager to that run of games and expect the fans to get on board. Best to let Silva try and get something/anything from those games
I agree with the first part of that but not the second. If they want to get rid, do it now. Promote a coach to caretaker and get the new man in after that run of games
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:06 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Won the second league in Portugal with the mighty Estoril then took them to 5th in the top division and qualified for Europe

Won the Portuguese equivalent of the FA Cup with Sporting

Won the Greek Super League whilst bettering any start to a season by any European club in the 21st Century

Had a decent record at Hull given the circumstances, had a great record at Watford up until the Everton approach and fall out where things then went sour.

Had a decent win rate last year but whether he'll fully succeed at Everton this season is doubtful but his track record up to this season as a manager is nevertheless impressive.

When Dyche finally gets a bigger club than Burnley with a bigger budget and more expectation we'll see how he fares and whether his unbelievable success at Burnley is just a one off
Whether he'll FULLY succeed at Everton. Are we serious here?

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:09 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Lots of people don't seem to realise there is a whole world of football outside the Premiership.

Perhaps that's because we don't all follow Estoril. What has he done here that has made him so precious which is where he is now? I know what Sean Dyche has done and I am impressed.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:39 pm

ClaretEngineer wrote:He’ll be out of a job by full time then.

Leicester will roast Everton.
I expect you are correct. This is just a process of sorting the new man, behind the scenes, ready for a swift change.

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:17 pm

Say they approached Dyche, does he have two years left so is that a £7m release clause?

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:18 am

Giftonsnoidea wrote:Say they approached Dyche, does he have two years left so is that a £7m release clause?
A release clause is a clause signed in a contract irrespective of wage or length of contract. Typically managers don't have release clauses, but instead when they are poached from another club whist under contract the approaching club has to agree with the current club a "compensation" fee which can loosely be based on remaining contract and wage.

So unless it's different with Dyche and somehow Mike Garlick has locked Dyche to a set release clause then we will basically be forced to let him go for measly compensation.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:46 am

Stayingup wrote:Whether he'll FULLY succeed at Everton. Are we serious here?
Feel free to pull me up on any bit of my post that iswrong. The bit you quoted was me making the point that despite having a ver good career to date and a decent first season with Everton that it was no gaurentee he wouldn't fail this season like he has done
This user liked this post: houseboy

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:31 am

I love the fascination with Silva on here, a lot of people wanting him to fail because I once said he’d be a good Dyche replacement. It’s good to know many on here still obsess over me despite me not posting much anymore.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:38 am

KRBFC wrote:I love the fascination with Silva on here, a lot of people wanting him to fail because I once said he’d be a good Dyche replacement. It’s good to know many on here still obsess over me despite me not posting much anymore.
Aye - it’s all about you KRBFC. That’s the only reason why people want him to fail.
Do you even read the board anymore ? You are the forgotten man - it’s like you never existed.
These 2 users liked this post: Burnleyareback2 Juan Tanamera

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:48 am

KRBFC wrote:I love the fascination with Silva on here, a lot of people wanting him to fail because I once said he’d be a good Dyche replacement. It’s good to know many on here still obsess over me despite me not posting much anymore.
It only took two and a half years for you to stick to your word.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:48 am

The only reasons anyone would want him to fail are his failing resulting in a club in our division consequently failing or because it provides evidence for those have questioned his ability.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:06 pm

A defeat or two should change that.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:15 pm

TVC15 wrote:Aye - it’s all about you KRBFC. That’s the only reason why people want him to fail.
Do you even read the board anymore ? You are the forgotten man - it’s like you never existed.
Couple of wins on bounce always have that affect.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:08 pm

Giftonsnoidea wrote:Say they approached Dyche, does he have two years left so is that a £7m release clause?
Dyche may have insisted on certain conditions in his contact. Such as we won't stand in his way if a better offer comes along.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:09 pm

TVC15 wrote:Aye - it’s all about you KRBFC. That’s the only reason why people want him to fail.
I read from time to time, Iv become sick of the same old lack of ambition in the transfer market and lost interest. I think replacing Vokes with Crouch was the final nail which is strange given I still watch every week, something is just missing for me, I don’t feel the same excitement as I used to.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:22 pm

KRBFC wrote:I read from time to time, Iv become sick of the same old lack of ambition in the transfer market and lost interest. I think replacing Vokes with Crouch was the final nail which is strange given I still watch every week, something is just missing for me, I don’t feel the same excitement as I used to.
Oh well that’s your prerogative.
Personally I’m rather happy that we have just had our third 3-0 victory in the premier league - the first time this has happened and it’s still only November.
I thought selling Vokes was a silly risk - but we got away with it and our form from January was great as was watching the likes of McNeil and Taylor.

Your expectations seem far higher than they should be. It probably means you are going to be in for many years of disappointment....but as said you are entitled to them.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:47 pm

TVC15 wrote:Oh well that’s your prerogative.
Personally I’m rather happy that we have just had our third 3-0 victory in the premier league - the first time this has happened and it’s still only November.
I thought selling Vokes was a silly risk - but we got away with it and our form from January was great as was watching the likes of McNeil and Taylor.

Your expectations seem far higher than they should be. It probably means you are going to be in for many years of disappointment....but as said you are entitled to them.
I can never fault the Dyche results, magical things he’s done for us. I don’t know exactly what is missing, possibly I don’t like the way football in general has gone in the last few years.
- hate VAR, nonsense and appears like something introduced to favour the big sides.

- miss the Keane V Vieira passion

- the media obsession over the “big 6” no matter how gash they are

- almost become a non contact sport, the Tarkowski booking against Watford being a prime example, does anyone know why he was booked? An absolute top class sliding tackle, he gets booked and a free kick awarded on the edge of the box, just comedy.

- The buying power at the top of the game, it’s way more evident now than it ever has been since I started watching football.

Basically, I want to see a fiery local derby with real passion and not a whistle happy referee wanting to be centre of attention.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:02 pm

KRBFC wrote:- almost become a non contact sport, the Tarkowski booking against Watford being a prime example, does anyone know why he was booked? An absolute top class sliding tackle, he gets booked and a free kick awarded on the edge of the box, just comedy.
Tarkowski was booked for taking out Deulofeu just before half time. A definite yellow card.

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:06 pm

KRBFC. So do you want us to get relegated or them down the road to be promoted, so you can see a local derby ?.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:16 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:Tarkowski was booked for taking out Deulofeu just before half time. A definite yellow card.
In these days it was, however, because the referee then deemed his fair tackle to be a foul, presumably for endangering an opponent, he should have received a second caution and been dismissed.

KRBFC is correct that the game is in danger of becoming a non-contact sport, thanks to the directives coming from FIFA.

Going back to the managerial merry-go round, I reckon that Silva will struggle to stay in post for much longer and nobody can prophesy who will take over. The football world is a crazy world.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1486 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:21 pm

Eddie Howe chocked at Burnley and had survived by spending shed loads of his owners cash
He will not leave Easy Street Bournemouth

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:33 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:In these days it was, however, because the referee then deemed his fair tackle to be a foul, presumably for endangering an opponent, he should have received a second caution and been dismissed.

KRBFC is correct that the game is in danger of becoming a non-contact sport, thanks to the directives coming from FIFA.

Going back to the managerial merry-go round, I reckon that Silva will struggle to stay in post for much longer and nobody can prophesy who will take over. The football world is a crazy world.
I was just confirming what Tarkowski got booked for...as it wasn't the 'fair' sliding tackle that KRBFC thought.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:34 pm

KRBFC wrote:I read from time to time, Iv become sick of the same old lack of ambition in the transfer market and lost interest. I think replacing Vokes with Crouch was the final nail which is strange given I still watch every week, something is just missing for me, I don’t feel the same excitement as I used to.

Then it was a signing for which everyone benefited

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:54 pm

Everton face a fight from West Ham to secure David Moyes as their next manager. (Mirror)

There's turn up!

One minute he has the plague, the next he has 2 potential prem jobs, according to a tabloid! :o

Giftonsnoidea

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:15 pm

superdimitri wrote:A release clause is a clause signed in a contract irrespective of wage or length of contract. Typically managers don't have release clauses, but instead when they are poached from another club whist under contract the approaching club has to agree with the current club a "compensation" fee which can loosely be based on remaining contract and wage.

So unless it's different with Dyche and somehow Mike Garlick has locked Dyche to a set release clause then we will basically be forced to let him go for measly compensation.
Not sure what Everton want but i guess its attractive football and success (winning a cup etc), Silva seems a busted flush now with no successful cv in England.

I looked, Dyche is in contract till 2022 so that means £10m contract which i bet Garlick will be wanting back if someone comes in for him.
If he can improve the style of his football then he'll become more attractive to teams like Everton.

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:32 pm

Giftonsnoidea wrote:Not sure what Everton want but i guess its attractive football and success (winning a cup etc), Silva seems a busted flush now with no successful cv in England.

I looked, Dyche is in contract till 2022 so that means £10m contract which i bet Garlick will be wanting back if someone comes in for him.
If he can improve the style of his football then he'll become more attractive to teams like Everton.
Any savvy chairman would work out that the style of play Dyche adopts is practical, based on the tools at his disposal. Based on ability, how many Burnley players make it into the Everton 11. Not many. Dyche isn't a long ball manager, he's a manager who knows how to win the most games possible given the players he has to put on the pitch. And we don't get nearly enough recognition for the passages of play that are "good football". He's all about effecting the game, if he had top players he'd do that in a different way more often. But even the top teams like Liverpool go direct, it's just the accuracy is more often than not better. No one blinks an eye at a 40 yard pass if a forward in the channel gets onto it.
These 5 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 Wile E Coyote Dark Cloud Buxtonclaret Juan Tanamera

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:38 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:Tarkowski was booked for taking out Deulofeu just before half time. A definite yellow card.
I was talking about the sliding tackle on the edge of the box in the 2nd half, clean as a whistle, luckily Doucoure skied the free kick. My mistake If Tark didn’t get booked for that, I think it was actually Westwood who got booked for complaining.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:39 am

Bfc wrote:KRBFC. So do you want us to get relegated or them down the road to be promoted, so you can see a local derby ?.
Neither, I was just talking about the type of football I want to see, fiery passionate and allowed to flow.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6447 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:50 am

still not sacked... how long will he last...?

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1239 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:46 am

It’s like a slow, laborious death rather than a lethal injection that’s for sure....

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3336 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:37 am

As someone mentioned previously, Everton have an absolutely awful run of fixtures coming up, starting with last night's, so a sensible board wouldn't sack and appoint just yet as there is unlikely to be any new manager "bounce" (Even with Fat Sam!! :lol: )

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5159 times

Post by Rowls » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:42 am

Ok I’m gonna stick my neck out and say that Silva won’t last much longer at Everton.

I think they might actually go ahead and sack him

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3766 times
Has Liked: 7557 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:46 am

Horse face may have perfected his 'Indian Rope Trick' by Christmas and, he could be free. 8-)
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6485 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:47 am

Very overrated, I noticed last night as he subbed a player,as he walked off he never even acknowledged the player and looked straight ahead,surprised he ever got the Everton job in the first place,talk of Moyes going back there,they never learn Everton do they? :)
This user liked this post: Bosscat

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:03 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:47 am
Very overrated, I noticed last night as he subbed a player,as he walked off he never even acknowledged the player and looked straight ahead,surprised he ever got the Everton job in the first place,talk of Moyes going back there,they never learn Everton do they? :)
TBF Steve I think moyes could be the answer ... Silva looked traumatised last night.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:23 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:37 am
As someone mentioned previously, Everton have an absolutely awful run of fixtures coming up, starting with last night's, so a sensible board wouldn't sack and appoint just yet as there is unlikely to be any new manager "bounce" (Even with Fat Sam!! :lol: )
Their run of fixtures is dire Chelsea (H) Man Utd (a) Leicester (H) EFL QF Arsenal (H),following those games they have Burnley at Goodison on Boxing Day,and Newcastle away 2 days later,however how long can they wait before making the change,if they dither too long it gives any incoming manager less time to turn the sinking ship around.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3336 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:52 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:23 pm
Their run of fixtures is dire Chelsea (H) Man Utd (a) Leicester (H) EFL QF Arsenal (H),following those games they have Burnley at Goodison on Boxing Day,and Newcastle away 2 days later,however how long can they wait before making the change,if they dither too long it gives any incoming manager less time to turn the sinking ship around.
Absolutely, but any manager appointed now will struggle to get a "lift" and the gloss will pretty soon wear off. You watch,they'll sack and appoint Christmas Day, just in time to receive Burnley and win 4-0 as they turn their season round!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6485 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:53 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:03 pm
TBF Steve I think moyes could be the answer ... Silva looked traumatised last night.
One word Timbob...."Sunderland" :lol:

Giftonsnoidea

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:25 pm

Looks like a clown has fallen off his bike! can’t see Silva getting another prem job. Shame really as the football they were playing end of last of last season was really good, he’s completely lost the plot this season.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:49 pm

Rowls wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:42 am
Ok I’m gonna stick my neck out and say that Silva won’t last much longer at Everton.

I think they might actually go ahead and sack him
Mystic Meg's got nothing on you mate.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5159 times

Post by Rowls » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:42 am

I called it.

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:49 am

He's had nearly as many clubs as the special one now, but I bet he isn't as rich off them.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:06 am

Dark Cloud wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:37 am
Twas me, but the other side of the coin is they could have a caretaker manager for this run of games to take their time of the new replacement - might not be the case though if Moyes is in demand, they may need to act quickly.