Thomas Cook to collapse imminently?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Re: Thomas Cook to collapse imminently?

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:13 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Because less people are travelling because of Brexit uncertainty.
Hi Lancs, maybe you should take a look at Thomas Cook Group Plc's financial reports. I've posted a link a little above this post.

A couple of quotes I've picked out:

"Total bookings are up 8%, supported by higher volumes in the Group Airline as a result of the full season impact of extra aircraft acquired last spring."

"Our Summer 2019 programme is 30% sold, slightly ahead of last year."

Yes, there are some things on the down side, also, but TC was not planning on a Brexit downturn.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:29 pm

OK. I'm now reading TCG plc results for half year ending 31-Mar-2019. Statement dated 16 May.

CEO's statement:

The first six months of this year have been characterised by an uncertain consumer environment across all our markets. The prolonged heatwave last summer and high prices in the Canaries reduced customer demand for winter sun, particularly in the Nordic region, while there is now little doubt that the Brexit process has led many UK customers to delay their holiday plans for this summer.

"Brexit" is mentioned 9 times in the 6 months report - including spending £1 million on external advisors for the airline business with respect to "hard" Brexit.

So, what do we make of a CEO who in Feb makes no mention of Brexit and in May references it several times?

And, yes, TC took a "non-cash" write down by £1,104 million of the asset value relating to the 2007 merger with MyTravel.

And, more of CEO's commentary:

“Despite this more challenging environment, we have made good progress on our strategy of differentiation. Following the announcement of the strategic review of our Group Airline in February, we have received multiple bids, including for the whole, or parts, of the airline business. As we assess these bids, we will consider all options to enhance value to shareholders and intensify our strategic focus.

“We are well advanced in our aim to build our position as one of the leading sun and beach hotel companies in Europe. In the last two months alone, we’ve opened 12 new own-brand hotels out of a pipeline of 20 for 2019, reinvigorating key destinations across the Med with four new Cook’s Clubs, and launching our first family Casa Cook in Crete.

“Outside of Europe, we have taken an important next step in the development of our China joint venture with the announcement of two new hotel projects in partnership with Fosun, including our first Casa Cook in Asia. We have also secured a leading position in the Russian market with the development of a new joint venture to buy the number one tour operator Biblio Globus.

“Taking lessons from 2018, we have put a keen focus on cash and cost discipline across the group in the first half. We have also accelerated the transformation of our UK business, including the closure of 21 UK retail stores and a review of Thomas Cook Money. A range of further cost efficiencies are planned for the second half, allowing further investment in our growth strategy.

“As we look ahead to the remainder of the year, it’s clear that, notwithstanding our early decision to mitigate our exposure in the 'lates' market by reducing capacity, the continued competitive pressure resulting from consumer uncertainty is putting further pressure on margins. This, combined with higher fuel and hotel costs, is creating further headwinds to our progress over the remainder of the year.”

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:39 pm

Paul Waine wrote:So, what do we make of a CEO who in Feb makes no mention of Brexit and in May references it several times?
What a ridiculous amount of time and effort you will seemingly go to in order to try and convince everyone and anyone that there isnt anything negative that can be attributed to Brexit ever
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret Chip Harrison

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:47 pm

*Double sigh*

Brexit uncertainty is responsible for 0% of everything since 2016.

Thats the position that you lot have decided to die on, and its absolutely ******* ridiculous.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:56 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:What a ridiculous amount of time and effort you will seemingly go to in order to try and convince everyone and anyone that there isnt anything negative that can be attributed to Brexit ever

Exactly the same for the white handkerchief waving plastic sandal wearers, blaming something that hasn't happened yet.

Brexit uncertainty fits to anything negative.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:00 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:Exactly the same for the white handkerchief waving plastic sandal wearers, blaming something that hasn't happened yet.

You need some new insults

There is still some scope in "remainer traitors" I reckon, but sandal wearers is way past its sell by date.

Still, I've got you down as one of those who cracks one off over a blue passport*

*YES I KNOW, THATS THE JOKE**

**If I have to explain it, then we really have had it as a country

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:01 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:Exactly the same for the white handkerchief waving plastic sandal wearers, blaming something that hasn't happened yet.

Kinda missed what I was saying but you managed to get sandal wearers into your post so i'll give you some Brexit bonus points for that

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:03 pm

Have you been on t' swill tonight Lancaster?

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:10 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Kinda missed what I was saying but you managed to get sandal wearers into your post so i'll give you some Brexit bonus points for that
I'm going to love it when Brexit finally happens and this board has to close because of it.

We'll all have to meet up in the Bridge (if it hasn't crumbled to dust) to drink Mead by candlelight.
This user liked this post: Murger

Murger
Been Liked: 1243 times
Has Liked: 845 times

Post by Murger » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:15 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:I'm going to love it when Brexit finally happens and this board has to close because of it.

We'll all have to meet up in the Bridge (if it hasn't crumbled to dust) to drink Mead by candlelight.
For some reason I laughed out loud to that.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:15 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:I'm going to love it when Brexit finally happens and this board has to close because of it.

To be fair a sh*thole like Burnley might be one of the few places that looks better post apocalypse
These 3 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie tim_noone Hipper

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:21 pm

With all these out of work pilots, it's probably not a good idea for Ryan Air and BA pilots to keep striking.
This user liked this post: lesxdp

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:29 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:To be fair a sh*thole like Burnley might be one of the few places that looks better post apocalypse

You're trying too hard.

Subtlety is key.

Alanstevensonsgloves
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 400 times

Post by Alanstevensonsgloves » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:38 pm

Paul Waine wrote:Some great information, "Mr Stevenson."

However, are you sure that German and Nordic region are still trading as separate companies? They are all included in Thomas Cook Group Plc - according to their financial reports - see link in my post above.
From the BBC here Mr Waine...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49791249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scroll down to the international operations bit
Just had a look on dieziet.de and you have to get to article 7 for any reference, and this relates more to the airline condor which is TC owned. So no mass redundancies in Europe yet I believe

I've worked in tour operation management for over 20 years for airtours, cosmos, first choice and laterally kuoni. TC has lurched from one disaster to another for the past ten...

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:45 am

The reason for Thomas Cook collapsing lies a lot closer to home
If you read or listen to all the experts, and not the so called one's on here, the reason for the collapse was its takeover of mytravel in 2007.....iam sure brexit wasn't a thing then. Mytravel was so much in debt that Thomas Cook has struggled with that debt ever since.
For those who don't know, mytravel was formally local tour company Airtours, who many wanted to invest in BFC., I think its a good job they didn't.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:54 am

Doesn't matter either way does it?

If the country goes down the toilet, you lot will still be arguing that is nothing to do with Brexit and all the fault of whatever is to blamed so you don't have to face up to responsibility.

And if you are right and there is absolutely no effects of us dumping everything overnight, then everyone will still get along and the country will still exist and people like me would have been wrong.

I'm hoping for the 2nd part, because I'm perfectly normal and well aware that this is the internet, and doesn't matter in the slightest but everything else I've read (from experts, and no offence lads, none of you are) suggests its the first part.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:38 am

It really isn’t though is it. Dying business model, aquiring more retail businesses at the wrong time, bad debts, huge exposure to Egypt and Tunisia ( this could have helped them due to increased popularity of non Euro currency countries but flight bans, terrorist attacks and then subsequent popularity interfered), bad management, the CEO taking £8 million a year can’t have helped cash flow ... I could go on. TUI seems to have survived despite ‘Brexit’.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:43 am

Interesting that the Tories gave the DUP £1billion to save their jobs but nothing to save the jobs of Thomas Cook staff. Highest figure I have seen for the cost of CAA/ATOL repatriation is £600m. All for the sake of keeping a liquidity buffer.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:59 am

See the ‘Brexit has caused nothing bad ever’ crew are still ignoring the fundamental point being made that Brexit contributed to the collapse rather than being the single cause. It’s difficult to have a sensible debate with people when they ignore the actual point you’re making in favour of one they want to argue against.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:02 am

martin_p wrote:See the ‘Brexit has caused nothing bad ever’ crew are still ignoring the fundamental point being made that Brexit contributed to the collapse rather than being the single cause. It’s difficult to have a sensible debate with people when they ignore the actual point you’re making in favour of one they want to argue against.

Dixons
Woolworths
Comet
MFI
Focus
C & A
JJB
Blockbuster
BHS
Phones4U
Staples
Maplin

Guess Brexit was the cause or helped with the collapse of these too ?

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:04 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:What a ridiculous amount of time and effort you will seemingly go to in order to try and convince everyone and anyone that there isnt anything negative that can be attributed to Brexit ever
Good morning, DA. No worries. Reviewing financial reports is one of the things I've done for many years for work. It doesn't take me a lot of time or much effort. TC would have been in the broad range of companies that I would have looked at. Often it would be to understand what is going on in that sector and, therefore, looking to understand if there are implications for other companies in the same or other sectors.

It would be interesting if "everything" that is "going wrong" is "down to brexit." In the case of TC, I don't see any evidence that brexit is even "the straw that broke the camel's back." TC was financially weak and would have been extremely lucky to ride out the other challenges that are always there in the holidays and airlines sectors.

Of course, for Lancs, "none of us on here are experts." I'm sure there are a number who do have expertise in their "real world" lives. I've been making "financial viability" decisions for 3 decades. My employers have always been pleased to follow my judgements.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:07 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Dixons
Woolworths
Comet
MFI
Focus
C & A
JJB
Blockbuster
BHS
Phones4U
Staples
Maplin

Nope, that would be daft. It would be like claiming Sean Dyche was responsible for our 59/60 title win. But your argument goes that if he wasn’t responsible for our 59/60 title win then he can’t be responsible for our 7th place finish a couple of seasons ago either.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:09 am

martin_p wrote:Nope, that would be daft. It would be like claiming Sean Dyche was responsible for our 59/60 title win. But your argument goes that if he wasn’t responsible for our 59/60 title win then he can’t be responsible for our 7th place finish a couple of seasons ago either.

Why only Thomas Cook then ?
Why haven't all holiday companies gone, does brexit only effect certain companies in the same industry ?

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:09 am

Corky wrote:Interesting that the Tories gave the DUP £1billion to save their jobs but nothing to save the jobs of Thomas Cook staff. Highest figure I have seen for the cost of CAA/ATOL repatriation is £600m. All for the sake of keeping a liquidity buffer.
Of course, we know:

1) N.Ireland rec'd the £1 bn.
2) The cost of repatriation is less than £100m - and most will be covered by Atol
3) TC was planning to shut shops and cut jobs, some had already closed earlier this year
4) any gov't support would af best have "kicked the can down the road" and TC would fail in any event next year.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6447 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:10 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Dixons
Woolworths
Comet
MFI
Focus
C & A
JJB
Blockbuster
BHS
Phones4U
Staples
Maplin

Yes

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:12 am

martin_p wrote:See the ‘Brexit has caused nothing bad ever’ crew are still ignoring the fundamental point being made that Brexit contributed to the collapse rather than being the single cause. It’s difficult to have a sensible debate with people when they ignore the actual point you’re making in favour of one they want to argue against.
Martin, try imaging that brexit wasn't happening, then ask yourself if TC business would be failing.

If TC would fail without brexit then we can not say "brexit contributed"

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:14 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Why only Thomas Cook then ?
Why haven't all holiday companies gone, does brexit only effect certain companies in the same industry ?
Well clearly it effects the companies that have less scope for dealing with the impact of Brexit such as Thomas Cook. As demonstrated on this thread they were struggling anyway. It’s the same reason that a no deal Brexit will have a bigger negative impact on the average man/woman in Burnley than Johnson, Rees-Mogg or Farage for example.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:15 am

Paul Waine wrote:Martin, try imaging that brexit wasn't happening, then ask yourself if TC business would be failing.

No, it wouldn’t have failed.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:18 am

So Thomas Cook was poorly prepared as well as a failing business ?

Did Burnley town centre need 2 Thomas Cook stores ? If there are 2 in a small town centre how many multiple stores in other towns cities, despite more people booking holidays online.
Last edited by claretonthecoast1882 on Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:18 am

Alanstevensonsgloves wrote:From the BBC here Mr Waine...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49791249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scroll down to the international operations bit
Just had a look on dieziet.de and you have to get to article 7 for any reference, and this relates more to the airline condor which is TC owned. So no mass redundancies in Europe yet I believe

I've worked in tour operation management for over 20 years for airtours, cosmos, first choice and laterally kuoni. TC has lurched from one disaster to another for the past ten...
Thanks, AlanSG. I appreciate your specialist knowledge.

So, is it just the separations between the different countries that means the other parts of business are still operating? Are there any "financial viability" regs that was stopping Condor, for example, transferring funds to keep the parent going?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:19 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:So Thomas Cook was poorly prepared as well as a failing business ?

Did Burnley town centre need 2 Thomas Cook stores ? If there are 2 in a small town centre how many multiple stores in other towns citites, despite more people booking holidays online.
No it didn’t. That was a contributing factor as well.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:22 am

martin_p wrote:Well clearly it effects the companies that have less scope for dealing with the impact of Brexit such as Thomas Cook. As demonstrated on this thread they were struggling anyway. It’s the same reason that a no deal Brexit will have a bigger negative impact on the average man/woman in Burnley than Johnson, Rees-Mogg or Farage for example.
And when those in society who are currently living right on the limits start to become homeless, fall ill and in some case die, fall into abstract poverty and have to use things like food banks then the same Brexit bullsh*t argument can be trotted out

"They were poor people, homeless people and starving people before Brexit"
"If Brexit it is to blame why are we all not homeless and starving"

The level of intelligent debate with some these Brexiteers is just so childlike and lacking in intelligence

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:24 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:And when those in society who are currently living right on the limits start to become homeless, fall ill and in some case die, fall into abstract poverty and have to use things like food banks then the same Brexit bullsh*t argument can be trotted out

"They were poor people, homeless people and starving people before Brexit"
"If Brexit it is to blame why are we all not homeless and starving"

The level of intelligent debate with some these Brexiteers is just so childlike and lacking in intelligence
It’s stunning isn’t it? The fact that poor people are less resilient to losing money than rich people shouldn’t even merit comment, it’s just a fact.

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:57 am

Paul Waine wrote:Martin, try imaging that brexit wasn't happening, then ask yourself if TC business would be failing.

You can sort of get a feeling where the remain camp is right now, can't you? Imagine if you genuinely believed everything bad that ever happens is 'Brexit related', presumably you would be screaming from the rooftops "Remain! Remain! We have to Remaaaaaaiin........" as well.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:00 am

If it be your will wrote:You can sort of get a feeling where the remain camp is right now, can't you? Imagine if you genuinely believed everything bad that ever happens is 'Brexit related', presumably you would be screaming from the rooftops "Remain! Remain! We have to Remaaaaaaiin........" as well.
Do you believe Brexit isn’t going to cause issues for various industries, either in the short or long term?

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:34 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Because less people are travelling because of Brexit uncertainty.
You've been asked several times to back up this , EU nationalist claim.

Any chance you could!?.......

Finally...

Perhaps.......

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:37 am

The only people saying brexit was to blame for Thomas Cook failing are those on here.....

Chip Harrison
Been Liked: 126 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by Chip Harrison » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:35 am

Inchy wrote:What was so wrong with TCs business model that it went belly up. As far as I can see TUI run the same model. Are they at risk?
How can you say TUIs model is the same? TC have been in trouble for 8 or 9 years. They have had bail outs and changed CEOs on a regular basis.

Amazing how people become experts in one day. I worked for TC in a management position and we knew several years ago that long term survival was not feasible unless we changed. We didn't change. Tui has and always will have short term cash flow issues due to seasonality. They factor this in. TC knew these periods were coming and had no plan to deal with it.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:44 am

It's obvious that Thomas Cook went bust because they gave all those holidays away on facebook.

Them that Debbie from Barnsley never claimed in time.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:43 pm

And now it seems that people who booked TUI and First Choice holidays may lose them due to both of those cmpaines using TC flights.....

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:36 pm

Paul Waine wrote:Of course, we know:

1) N.Ireland rec'd the £1 bn.
2) The cost of repatriation is less than £100m - and most will be covered by Atol
3) TC was planning to shut shops and cut jobs, some had already closed earlier this year
4) any gov't support would af best have "kicked the can down the road" and TC would fail in any event next year.
It looks as though the repat costs will be more than £100m but how much no one knows. And you are right, they were looking at restructuring and slimming down their operation, sensible move. But your 4th point you have just made up!!! Mind you the CEOs or whatever they were called look to have taken the money and run, in the past few years. Typical Tory types no doubt.

Just a side issue for you to chew over and very minor but it emphasises a point. I have a friend who runs a dog boarding service from home. They had a client booked in their dog for most of October. Unfortunately as they were travelling with TC that has now been banjaxed as has the need for dog boarding, so far at least. That is the ripple effect that normally doesn't get noticed.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:54 pm

It's crazy how Aaron Ramsay scored again at the weekend and now Thomas Cook is dead.

He's going to have to stop scoring.

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:02 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Anybody else want to state the Brexit backers position?

As always, everybody else who is an expert is saying its a factor, while Brexiteers are declaring that its nothing to do with it.

Give yourselves a break lads, and maybe get out of the echo chamber occasionally eh?

And again, read my first post on the subject before you angrily defend Brexit to the death against someone who is just laughing at you all getting carried away because someone said "its a factor"
I voted remain, i also voted Lib Dem’s in the european elections.

LS7
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Post by LS7 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:40 pm

Good riddance to Thomas Cook. I have wished them nothing but the worst since their response to the carbon monoxide deaths.

Outmoded business model + poor acquisitions = gone. Brexit or not.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:17 pm

Corky wrote:It looks as though the repat costs will be more than £100m but how much no one knows. And you are right, they were looking at restructuring and slimming down their operation, sensible move. But your 4th point you have just made up!!! Mind you the CEOs or whatever they were called look to have taken the money and run, in the past few years. Typical Tory types no doubt.

Just a side issue for you to chew over and very minor but it emphasises a point. I have a friend who runs a dog boarding service from home. They had a client booked in their dog for most of October. Unfortunately as they were travelling with TC that has now been banjaxed as has the need for dog boarding, so far at least. That is the ripple effect that normally doesn't get noticed.
Hi Corky, sorry for your dog boarding friend. Sorry, to an extent for all the TC staff who are losing their jobs - except, I've always looked on the time I've had a job as a "bonus" and the times I've been out of work as, "well, at least the job lasted longer than it might." Be grateful for what you have, rather than be regretful for want you don't have. "Always look on the bright side of life, dede, didum, dedi didum…."

#4 was Grant Shapp's comments on R4 on Monday morning. I didn't make it up. Reasonable comment, rescue TC today, but you are probably only putting off today something that will still happen next year or some time later.

However, interesting comments about airline bankruptcy rules. Whether they would have kept TC aircraft flying would depend on their aircraft leasing arrangements, perhaps. I'd have always thought that a Chapter XI (US bankruptcy rules for those not familiar) style stand-still may have allowed the aircraft and crew to keep flying until all the holiday makers were home.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:48 pm

theroyaldyche wrote:Hes not now
Correct. Hes going Saturday.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:51 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Correct. Hes going Saturday.
Glad he’s sorted it - we’ve had to switch to Malta instead of Tunisia and fork out again and just wait for the refund to come back. Some of the prices now are eye watering :shock:

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:22 am

I’m currently in San Diego and due to fly from LAX to Manchester on 1 Oct with Thomas Cook. I was advised by the CAA website to ring British Airways and they booked me onto the 21:35 flight on 30 Sept free of charge. Granted it’s a day earlier than I was meant to be returning but I was amazed how hassle free it was, got to give the civil service/govt credit where it’s due (assuming it doesn’t degenerate into an omnishambles when I actually try and check in).

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:32 am

Looks like Wolves owners are going to be badly hit by this. They owned 18%.

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:59 am

SammyBoy wrote:I’m currently in San Diego and due to fly from LAX to Manchester on 1 Oct with Thomas Cook. I was advised by the CAA website to ring British Airways and they booked me onto the 21:35 flight on 30 Sept free of charge. Granted it’s a day earlier than I was meant to be returning but I was amazed how hassle free it was, got to give the civil service/govt credit where it’s due (assuming it doesn’t degenerate into an omnishambles when I actually try and check in).
You have to hand it to the CAA, They appear to have done a quite remarkable job. There's been the odd hiccup here and there, granted, but they've effectively had to start a travel company from scratch, source all the flights, and run their operations, at very short notice. I'm sure it's costing quite a lot (more than a travel company would normally pay for flights etc), but it's still quite an achievement. It certainly could've gone a lot worse.

So if anyone at the CAA happens to see this, hat's off. You've impressed at least one random person up North.
These 2 users liked this post: SammyBoy cricketfieldclarets