Thomas Cook to collapse imminently?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Re: Thomas Cook to collapse imminently?

Post by theroyaldyche » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:26 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Correct. Hes going Saturday.
Sweet

Im hvaing to change my flights too for fuertaventura

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:31 pm

Email from the holiday company received yesterday to say my holiday has been cancelled as they cannot arrange alternative flights. Looked at booking another holiday last night and due to demand are £1000 - £1500 more expensive for a week. We had planned to go to India in October next year, so I think we are going to sacrifice the October break this year, spend a week in Devon instead and move the 2020 holiday forward to Easter. Week in Delhi staying at the British Consulate with friends then internal flights and spend a week in either Goa or Kerala.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1000 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:04 pm

Looks like Wolves owners are going to be badly hit by this. They owned 18%
One of the papers today reporting that they (Fosun) will lose over £1 billion :o

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:56 pm

Excellent.

lesxdp
Been Liked: 112 times
Has Liked: 1662 times

Post by lesxdp » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:13 pm

"It looks as though the repat costs will be more than £100m but how much no one knows. And you are right, they were looking at restructuring and slimming down their operation, sensible move. But your 4th point you have just made up "

The cost of repatriating Monarch passengers 2 years ago was apparently about £100 million and TC is thought to be about 50% biggerso £150 million would seem comparable, at least some of which would be paid by ATOL. As for long term survival their debts were in excess of £1.5 BILLION so £250 million would as has been said only delay the inevitable. Quite simply if it was still trading after this the majority of travellers would probably not consider booking with TC. Once the brand is tarnished there is little chance of coming back. Anyone remember the comments of Gerald Ratner that his jewellry chain sold cheap trash!! End of his business.
Last edited by lesxdp on Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:34 pm

As Corky said about the knock on effect to other small businesses, we have a flower shop, with a delivery very service and supplied the TC shop in Burnley on a regular basis. I feel really sad for the wonderful staff at the shop. They will find it difficult to find a like for like job locally.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:28 pm

Bfc wrote:As Corky said about the knock on effect to other small businesses, we have a flower shop, with a delivery very service and supplied the TC shop in Burnley on a regular basis. I feel really sad for the wonderful staff at the shop. They will find it difficult to find a like for like job locally.
...but Hertsclarets is spending a week on holiday in the UK. Positive knock-on. Which isn't to dismiss your negative but it's all in the mix.
This user liked this post: Corky

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:09 pm

LeadBelly wrote:One of the papers today reporting that they (Fosun) will lose over £1 billion :o
Wolves were starting to get a bit too billy big time last season and they’re getting a much needed reality check this time round. I do wonder what will happen to them when Nuno decides to jack in.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:21 am

Chip Harrison wrote:How can you say TUIs model is the same? TC have been in trouble for 8 or 9 years. They have had bail outs and changed CEOs on a regular basis.

Amazing how people become experts in one day. I worked for TC in a management position and we knew several years ago that long term survival was not feasible unless we changed. We didn't change. Tui has and always will have short term cash flow issues due to seasonality. They factor this in. TC knew these periods were coming and had no plan to deal with it.

I don’t profess to be an expert. I am a lay person on this. From what I can see as a lay person, TUI and TC seem more or less the same company offering the same product, hence my question

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:55 am

Inchy wrote:I don’t profess to be an expert. I am a lay person on this. From what I can see as a lay person, TUI and TC seem more or less the same company offering the same product, hence my question
(For what it's worth I thought it was a fair question, too!)

Alanstevensonsgloves
Been Liked: 342 times
Has Liked: 399 times

Post by Alanstevensonsgloves » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:58 am

In broad terms you are right to make the comparison lnchy.

Thomas Cook Germany now gone insolvent, but as they are profit making they will re-emerge under new owners with the same brands (Neckermann etc...)

The airline Condor will probably receive state aid to continue flying.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:12 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:Wolves were starting to get a bit too billy big time last season and they’re getting a much needed reality check this time round. I do wonder what will happen to them when Nuno decides to jack in.
Plus the players that were bought for a small amount of what they are really worth because of the super agent using Wolves will probably end up leaving for a small sum as their ownership is dodgy. I mean less than 5m for Moutinho? Something dodgy going on....cant wait for it to collapse for them

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:36 pm

My daughter flew to Vegas from Manchester last Saturday for a 2 week holiday. She paid for premium seats. She has been informed that she will be flown back on the day she was scheduled to return. However she has been told that the only flight available is by Virgin to Heathrow. If she wants to fly in premium ( which she paid for) she will have to pay 350 pounds per seat. Furthermore she will have to then get herself back from Heathrow to Burnley. So much for ATOL insurance !!!!!

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:50 am

FCBurnley wrote:My daughter flew to Vegas from Manchester last Saturday for a 2 week holiday. She paid for premium seats. She has been informed that she will be flown back on the day she was scheduled to return. However she has been told that the only flight available is by Virgin to Heathrow. If she wants to fly in premium ( which she paid for) she will have to pay 350 pounds per seat. Furthermore she will have to then get herself back from Heathrow to Burnley. So much for ATOL insurance !!!!!
At least she's had her holiday, and is being flown back, albeit in the wrong seats! Howabout those who never got away, who's holidays, weddings etc were cancelled

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:00 am

Assume they all got full refunds ?

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:22 am

FCBurnley wrote:Assume they all got full refunds ?
Eventually. If she's on a Thomas Cook holiday she'll be refunded price from Heathrow, still not anywhere near having your holiday cancelled, refund or not

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:25 am

FCBurnley wrote:Furthermore she will have to then get herself back from Heathrow to Burnley.
This bit seems wrong.
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... ook-update" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:31 pm

Grumps wrote:Eventually. If she's on a Thomas Cook holiday she'll be refunded price from Heathrow, still not anywhere near having your holiday cancelled, refund or not
We had our holiday cancelled as the holiday company used Thomas Cook flights. Similar holidays are now £1k - £1.5k more expensive so it means we are not going for some autumn sun in October. Pales into insignificance when compared to the TC staff who have all lost their jobs.....

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:40 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:We had our holiday cancelled as the holiday company used Thomas Cook flights. Similar holidays are now £1k - £1.5k more expensive so it means we are not going for some autumn sun in October. Pales into insignificance when compared to the TC staff who have all lost their jobs.....
Precisely, which is why I thought it a bit rich complaining about the type of seats they were flying home on.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:51 pm

FCBurnley wrote:My daughter flew to Vegas from Manchester last Saturday for a 2 week holiday. She paid for premium seats. She has been informed that she will be flown back on the day she was scheduled to return. However she has been told that the only flight available is by Virgin to Heathrow. If she wants to fly in premium ( which she paid for) she will have to pay 350 pounds per seat. Furthermore she will have to then get herself back from Heathrow to Burnley. So much for ATOL insurance !!!!!
Different airline classes vary with each company. I’ve never flown with Virgin but

TC premium economy is comparable to British Airways Economy. I suspect Virgins economy will be better than TC premium economy. TC was basically long haul Ryanair.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:16 am

bfccrazy wrote:Glad he’s sorted it - we’ve had to switch to Malta instead of Tunisia and fork out again and just wait for the refund to come back. Some of the prices now are eye watering :shock:
Second booking got cancelled due to being double booked with system overloaded. :lol:

He’s ****** it off and booked Amsterdam instead :ugeek:

Caernarfon_Claret
Been Liked: 1473 times
Has Liked: 633 times

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:47 am

At the end of a week where we've had to deal with losing our flights (Thomas Cook - and despite knowing they were gonna go not being able, due to insurance coverage, to look for alternative flights until they'd actually gone) to having to go through the nightmare of flying with Vueling as the only flights we could get to Tenerife.
Still waiting for lost (delayed) baggage.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:56 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Second booking got cancelled due to being double booked with system overloaded. :lol:

He’s ****** it off and booked Amsterdam instead :ugeek:
Ffs!! :lol:

We’re off in a couple of weeks and had to rebook the rebooking. It’s madness at the minute.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:04 am

Caernarfon_Claret wrote:At the end of a week where we've had to deal with losing our flights (Thomas Cook - and despite knowing they were gonna go not being able, due to insurance coverage, to look for alternative flights until they'd actually gone) to having to go through the nightmare of flying with Vueling as the only flights we could get to Tenerife.
Still waiting for lost (delayed) baggage.
Gutted. What are vueling like nearly booked with them the other day?

As for last baggage. Hope it gets sorted. Happened to us in 2006. Absolutely horrible.

Caernarfon_Claret

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:40 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Gutted. What are vueling like nearly booked with them the other day?

As for last baggage. Hope it gets sorted. Happened to us in 2006. Absolutely horrible.
Problem with Vueling is all their flights seem to be in and out of Barcelona El-Prat so there is a greater chance of losing luggage or missing connecting flights particularly if like us you only have an hour to make the connecting flight. Should have lost luggage in next few hours.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:30 pm

Caernarfon_Claret wrote:Problem with Vueling is all their flights seem to be in and out of Barcelona El-Prat so there is a greater chance of losing luggage or missing connecting flights particularly if like us you only have an hour to make the connecting flight. Should have lost luggage in next few hours.
Why is that?

And best of luck.

Caernarfon_Claret

Post by Caernarfon_Claret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:39 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Why is that?

And best of luck.
Barcelona is to Vueling as Singapore is to Singapore airlines.

They've found our luggage and tried to deliver it but had wrong contact phone number. We've come to Tenerife North Airport but they have taken luggage to Tenerife South Airport. Waiting for bus to take us to South Airport.

Thanks for good luck messages.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:46 am

SammyBoy wrote:I’m currently in San Diego and due to fly from LAX to Manchester on 1 Oct with Thomas Cook. I was advised by the CAA website to ring British Airways and they booked me onto the 21:35 flight on 30 Sept free of charge. Granted it’s a day earlier than I was meant to be returning but I was amazed how hassle free it was, got to give the civil service/govt credit where it’s due (assuming it doesn’t degenerate into an omnishambles when I actually try and check in).
How did it go, then?

The repatriation effort is still in full swing but is not making the news, suggesting it must be going ok.

Herts Clarets

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:36 am

Dyched wrote:Different airline classes vary with each company. I’ve never flown with Virgin but

TC premium economy is comparable to British Airways Economy. I suspect Virgins economy will be better than TC premium economy. TC was basically long haul Ryanair.
We flew Economy with Virgin Atlantic last year to New Delhi. Everything about the flight, service, facilities, refreshments, entertainment etc. was spot on. Loads of choice of movies, TV series and programmes to watch, pretty decent food as airline food goes, as many soft and alcoholic beverages as you request. Pre reserved seats and they even printed our visas at Heathrow as they were not sure whether Indian customs would accept electronic versions.

We have just booked to go again in April and didn't look at any other airline than Virgin.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:34 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:We flew Economy with Virgin Atlantic last year to New Delhi. Everything about the flight, service, facilities, refreshments, entertainment etc. was spot on. Loads of choice of movies, TV series and programmes to watch, pretty decent food as airline food goes, as many soft and alcoholic beverages as you request. Pre reserved seats and they even printed our visas at Heathrow as they were not sure whether Indian customs would accept electronic versions.

We have just booked to go again in April and didn't look at any other airline than Virgin.
I thought they’d be very good tbh. I’ll use them for aure in the future. Thanks!!

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:37 pm

If it be your will wrote:How did it go, then?

The repatriation effort is still in full swing but is not making the news, suggesting it must be going ok.
Still jet lagged but it went flawlessly, I didn't pay a penny extra and all it took was a 5 minute call to get a new flight, a big well done to all involved who made this work behind the scenes.
These 2 users liked this post: Grumps If it be your will

Stickers
Been Liked: 22 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by Stickers » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:11 pm

Apologies as I’ve not read this thread for a couple of pages now but thought I’d add this.
Booked a holiday through on the beach for the family to the canaries next Easter, flights were with Thomas Cook. When Thomas Cook went bust we were informed by on the beach we had 3 options
1 cancel holiday and get full refund
2 try to book replacement flights ourselves
3 wait and see if on the beach could find us new flights, though this could take a couple of weeks as they were working through bookings in a chronological order.
We initially looked into option 2 but the cheapest flights we could find after TC’s immediate demise were £3000 extra ( there are 12 of us travelling) so we were pretty resigned to the fact our holiday wasn’t going ahead. Anyhow went with the option of leaving on the beach to find us replacement flights and today got a message saying our flights are sorted and now with Ryanair same cost and flight times.
So guess other operators are stepping in to take over some of TC’s future schedules.
Thought someone might find this information useful

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:17 pm

Glad to see most people are getting sorted, makes the original post look a bit silly. I know people who were on holiday with Thomas Cook when it collapsed, all came back on the day they should have, incident free.