Bruce Springsteen premier rock star

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Bruce Springsteen premier rock star

Post by hampsteadclaret » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:18 am

Bruce is 70 today, Happy Birthday Boss!

I mention it because I know he has a few fans on here.
I’m a big fan as well, got nearly every album and seen BS and the the E-St Band about 14 times at Wembley Arena(1981) Wembley Stadium, Hyde Park, Earls Court, Etihad, Emirates, the Ricoh Arena and a couple of of others.... the live shows, he NEVER lets you down. I’m not going to slaver on about why he is my No.1 musiclal hero, he’s been around quite a while, and you either like him or you don’t.There’s tons of great stuff online including obviously on YouTube.

Randomly, if you’re curious, have a look at one I saw yesterday.. Bruce and his band live in Leipzig (2013) singing ‘You never can tell’.

Anyway that’s it - if you’re a fan put your Bruce related stuff on here today.. anecdotes, info, photos, music, and the rest... 70 only happens once !

Cheers
These 7 users liked this post: bobinho Dark Cloud Stalbansclaret the_magic_rat Beehole67 boatshed bill morpheus2

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Re: Bruce Springsteen premier rock star

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:36 am

My No.1 also Hampstead. The best live show ever. No pyrotechnics or fancy lighting, just a set of brilliant musicians giving their all for over 3hrs. And what a portfolio of songs they can choose from. Plus the fantastic covers they throw in to surprise you. Never been let down yet.
Can’t post a tune. I’m in Gdansk and our internet is dire.
This user liked this post: hampsteadclaret

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:51 am

Seen him a few times... absolute class.

Saw him at Hampden Park a few years ago, and whilst not his best song, Outlaw Pete with the video backdrop of the Wild West was most excellent.

Point blank followed by the river at the Etihad had me blubbing like a good un. Two very moving songs performed to their absolute best.

Simply outstanding.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:00 am

Cheers Hampstead, just watched that on you tube...

Can’t remember the last time I went to work on a Monday smiling.

Happy birthday Boss.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 559 times
Has Liked: 1393 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:15 am

I saw him play at Slane Castle in Ireland; it was a long time back, around the time I got married, so perhaps 1984 or maybe '85?

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:25 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:My No.1 also Hampstead. The best live show ever. No pyrotechnics or fancy lighting, just a set of brilliant musicians giving their all for over 3hrs. And what a portfolio of songs they can choose from. Plus the fantastic covers they throw in to surprise you. Never been let down yet.
Can’t post a tune. I’m in Gdansk and our internet is dire.
Gdansking in the Dark
These 5 users liked this post: Oshkoshclaret Stalbansclaret Bosscat Tricky Trevor morpheus2

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:37 am

I've seen Bruce at Bramhall Lane, Old Trafford, Wembley and Cardiff and he's absolutely brilliant every time. Like Hampstead I've got pretty much everything he's ever done in my collection and again like Hampstead, every now and then I google "You Never can Tell" live from Leipzig as it is fantastic, but I also cheer myself up by watching "Jonny B Good" live on stage with chuck Berry. Even better!!
These 2 users liked this post: the_magic_rat hampsteadclaret

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:21 am

Thanks for launching the thread Hampstead.

I discovered Bruce around the time Born to Run was released in 1975, (on my 17th birthday coincidentally) and I've been along for the ride ever since. Apart from the Clarets, music is my obsession and whilst I love most genres of rock music no artist has had such a profound effect on me.

Interestingly reading Hampstead's thread there are people I thought I knew well on here but never realised they were also Springsteen obsessives, who it turns out I'd shared memorable concert experiences with too. I did St.James's Park, Bramall Lane, Old Trafford, The Etihad twice and the Ricoh Arena twice as well as a couple of indoor venues too. Every time I see him I wonder if it will be the last time but there's a new album due in 2020 and he's planning to tour apparently.

Watching the video linked below always puts a tear in my eye. Anyone who's familiar with The Wild,The Innocent and The E Street Shuffle will realise what an awesome performance this was. What a band leader! What a musical arranger!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-IZWISZ8CY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 2 users liked this post: Stalbansclaret hampsteadclaret

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:27 am

I’ve been on the journey a long time but first gig was Newcastle on Born in the USA tour , followed by Leeds and Wembley on the same tour

claretblue
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 961 times

Post by claretblue » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:57 am

the_magic_rat wrote:I did St.James's Park, Bramall Lane, Old Trafford, The Etihad twice and the Ricoh Arena twice as well as a couple of indoor venues too
you're just a Glory (Days) hunter! :D

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:19 am

I’ve never been any more than a Greatest Hits fan, but I went with my Wife, Her Sister and Her Husband(a massive fan, who sadly died earlier this year) to the Concer in Hyde Park a few years back; the one where Paul McCartney encored an the plug was pulled after two songs.
That concer was amazing! He was supported by John Fogarty, who I’ve always like in a similar way to Springsteen. Fogarty did a set of his own and then came on mid-set with Springsteen and did some more.

Those tickets weren’t cheap, but in no way did I feel short changed.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:28 am

I can't easily articulate how much Bruce's music has meant to me in life but ever since a friend lent me his copy of the Born to Run album at Uni in 1979 I've been totally hooked on it. I think in essence it combines a fantastic "full band" rock n'roll sound with authentic and heartfelt lyrics advocating decency, grit and everyday reality whilst always having the backdrop of the romantic American dream. Epitomised maybe by lines such as this from The Promised Land""On a rattlesnake speedway in the Utah desert, I pick up my money and head back into town.......Gonna be a Twister to blow everything down, that ain't got the strength to stand it's ground". I mean.. "It's a town full of losers, I'm pulling out of here to win"...come on !!!

He gets parodied as one-dimensional..for example Prefab Sprout's (excellent) Cars and Girls.. but there's a lot more to him than just the guy driving across the desert or up the New Jersey turnpike with the wind in his hair. He's capable of writing genuinely tender love songs (Happy, Tougher than the Rest) and angry political polemics (Jack of All Trades, Death to My Hometown) whilst also being a tremendous interpreter of other people's work. Check out his fantastic live version of an old American protest song "How can a Poor Man stand such Times and Live" recorded shortly after the New Orleans hurricane disaster.

Seen him many times , most recently spending a ridiculous amount to go and see his Broadway show which I would not have missed for the world. I think my favourite was at Wembley around 5 years ago on "The River" tour when I was lucky enough to see the band play the Darkness on the Edge of Town album in it's entirety. I also thought a gig at The Emirates Stadium (Arsenal) on a Friday night a few years back was incredible...Clarence was still alive then and I will never forget the performance of Jungleland with THAT sax solo.

A major hero of mine then and hard to believe he is 70. There are rumours of a new album with the E Street Band and a tour next year (a last one maybe given the nature of his shows ?) and I will be there for sure.

Hard to pick a video.......and hard to ignore Thunder Road as it will def be a funeral song for me....but this version of Prove it All Night from 1978 is as good as any and catches him whilst in the midst of that incredible trilogy of Born to Run, DArkenss and The River. Happy Birthday Bruce !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgFMF-KQTdE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 4 users liked this post: the_magic_rat Dark Cloud hampsteadclaret bobinho

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:12 am

hampsteadclaret wrote: Happy Birthday Boss! !

Cheers
Thanks but its not my Birthday till May next year :D

Joking apart Happy Birthday Bruce ..... looking forward to seeing the movie....

https://youtu.be/nGqjav-KbDU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brucefanclaret
Been Liked: 203 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Brucefanclaret » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:38 am

Happy birthday to the main man!
Loved his music since way back when. Seen him in Sheffield, Old Trafford (both venues), Wembley Arena, MEN Arena or whatever it’s called nowadays, the Ricoh and The Apollo in Manchester on the solo acoustic tour. That last one was the best, even though the wonderful Clarence wasn’t there.
We had ‘If I should fall behind’ played during our wedding ceremony - one of the most ‘grown-up’ love songs ever.

Saw ‘Blinded by the Light’ recently and if you can cope with a bit of sentimentality, it’s one of the best explanations of the power of his music. Probably telling people who know all about it, but based on the book ‘Greetings from Bury Park’ by Sarfraz Manzoor - worth a read as it’s better than the film, IMO, but you have to do the music in your head, of course. Not a problem though - we all know all the lyrics, don’t we?
These 2 users liked this post: Tricky Trevor hampsteadclaret

COBBLE
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 471 times

Post by COBBLE » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:42 am

Roundhay 1985.

The autobiography is fascinating too.
This user liked this post: morpheus2

springsteenisaclaret
Been Liked: 5 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by springsteenisaclaret » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:19 am

Happy Birthday Bruce, 70 years young and getting ready for another tour. I thought details may be announced today re: tour dates, or was hoping they would. Nils has already been tweeting he’s ready for it. One thing i would say is if you can, travel abroad to watch a show as well as seeing him in the uk. Seen him in Spain france and italy several times and the european crowds are crackers for him, especially in Italy. Looking forward to doing again next year.

Trampslike

Post by Trampslike » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:20 pm

'Discovered' him in 1974 with Greetings and he's been the Man ever since! Seen him all over the UK, Holland, Spain and the US. Hard to pick a favourite but I would probably say the first night of the reunion tour in Barcelona. Western Stars shows how relevant he still is. I also loved Blinded by the Light far more than I feared that I would.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRUCE!
These 2 users liked this post: hampsteadclaret Brucefanclaret

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:31 pm

Brucefanclaret wrote: We had ‘If I should fall behind’ played during our wedding ceremony - one of the most ‘grown-up’ love songs ever
My niece got married last year. Herself and her husband are gigging guitarists and guitar teachers. In the lead up 10 of us chose love songs, one a day. After all that I posted this is the truth about marriage and posted If I Fall Behind. She replied "you've got a surprise coming". It turned out his late Dad was a massive Bruce fan and this had been his favourite track. They had some wonderful friends performing at the ceremony and they covered it fantastically. A magic moment.
This user liked this post: Brucefanclaret

Trampslike

Post by Trampslike » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:39 pm

I also had 'If I Should Fall Behind' at my wedding. I will also go for Thunder Road (plus a solo, acoustic Born to Run) at my funeral!
These 2 users liked this post: Dark Cloud Brucefanclaret

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:55 pm

My partner had a friend whose husband died and she attended the funeral. Her friend chose "You're Missing" from The Rising album to be played...not a dry eye in the house.

icu81b4
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by icu81b4 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:43 pm

Can't say I'm a massive fan, but have seen him a couple of times and was even in a Sprinsteen tribute band for a while. Our 'Bruce' then started his own band and writes his music with a style along the same lines.

If you like this sort of music you might like to find him on Spotify or iTunes ... Johnny Bullitt & the Promise

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:14 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:I’ve never been any more than a Greatest Hits fan, but I went with my Wife, Her Sister and Her Husband(a massive fan, who sadly died earlier this year) to the Concer in Hyde Park a few years back; the one where Paul McCartney encored an the plug was pulled after two songs.
That concer was amazing! He was supported by John Fogarty, who I’ve always like in a similar way to Springsteen. Fogarty did a set of his own and then came on mid-set with Springsteen and did some more.

Those tickets weren’t cheap, but in no way did I feel short changed.

I was at that concert too. The organisers claimed they pulled the plug for health and safety reasons. Unfortunately for them one of the heads of the Health and Safety Executive was in the crowd too and made it clear that they were talking absolute tosh...

Crazy that they pulled the plug on two living legends

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:28 pm

Happy 70th Birthday Boss. Wishing you many more successful UK tours. Still got this image of his encore at the Etihad in 2016. Just him, guitar and harmonica singing 'This Hard Land' with 60k fans in the palm of his hand. You alway 'Prove it all night', long may you reign Bruce.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:42 pm

Absolute Classic Rock have a Springsteen documentary tonight at 10 PM,i was :shock: to learn he's never a number one single in the UK or the US,mind you when you've sold 135 million albums worldwide i don't suppose you'll lose any sleep about that fact.

I also only found out recently he'd done the original version of Blinded By the Light,and Manfred Mann covered his version,and obviously speeded up the track.

It's tough to pick a favourite from his vast catalogue but if pushed i'd plump for Glory Days.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:22 pm

Literally impossible to pick a favoutite. Slow songs, fast songs, raucous lyrics, moving ballads........For me IF absolutely pushed it would possibly be "The River", closely followed by "I Wish I Was Blind" which is so underrated imo.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

morpheus2
Been Liked: 750 times
Has Liked: 1827 times

Post by morpheus2 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:36 pm

COBBLE wrote:Roundhay 1985.

The autobiography is fascinating too.
Yeah Roundhay, same here. I wasn't a fan before then but that turned me - phenomenal performance.

I remember him taking the pee out of Clarence for his advanced years, walking around the stage like an old man saying "I'm getting old, I'm 34 years old".

Happy birthday Brucie!

icu81b4
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by icu81b4 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:42 pm

I recall at the Roundhay gig in 85 he was talking a lot (I mean a lot) between songs and folk were yelling at him to get on with it. last saw him at the Etihad, no fancy light show or anything, I thought not many artists can get away with just turning up onto a blank stage these days without putting on a 'show'.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:51 pm

I had a ticket for Roundhey in 85 along with a mate and utterly stupidly (in hindsight) I gave backword and let my ticket go to somebody else. It has become something of a seminal gig and I know my mate came back absolutely full of it. My loss!!! (Sadly!)
A few years earlier I also remember a girl I'd got "friendly" with telling me about this song called "The River" which she loved and which at the time I didn't know. She said her player was in the bedroom of her flat so we "had" to go in there in order to listen to it. Another "seminal"moment!!!! :lol: And my very first moment with Bruce and we've been together ever since!!! :)

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:08 pm

The 1985 concerts were the ‘Born in the USA’ tour, when he was probably at the peak of world popularity ( though far from his best album) - he did four nights at Wembley Stadium ( I got to two) and you couldn’t buy a ticket... the yuppies of that time bought into BS in a big way, he was the latest big thing and I remember the roads around Wembley after the gig were packed with BMWs and Mercs - I guess they’ve all disappeared now.

I was at Hyde Park when Macca joined in and they pulled the plug - what I heard was that the gig had gone over its curfew licence time and wealthy powerful connected Mayfair residents put the boot in with the police and other Westminster authorities - the organisers ( Hard Rock Calling) were told to ‘shut this down now or you’ll never get another licence for Hyde Park’.
Last edited by hampsteadclaret on Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

CJW
Been Liked: 144 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by CJW » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:00 pm

Talentless American hack producing generic, over the top, schmalz "rock" for people.with no taste.
This user liked this post: fatboy47

Cajun
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Cajun » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:35 pm

Seen him perform a few times, puts on a great (and long) live show. Also been to gigs at his club in Asbury Park, "The Stone Pony", where he is still likely to put in an occasional surprise appearance.
Radio station over here was playing what they considered his best 70 songs today for his 70th - no surprise that "Born to Run" was the top choice. Mrs C was disappointed that her own favorite "Sandy, 4th July Asbury Park" was only at 20 - she's always been convinced he wrote it for her :)
This user liked this post: Brucefanclaret

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:41 am

Bought my first Springsteen Album, " Darkness on the edge of town ", in France in 1981, aged 18 and been pretty much hooked since .... I was at Wembley on 4th July 1985 ( Still got the ticket, £9 ! ).

I particularly admire the lobbying and advocating he did to get the brilliant Darlene Love recognised in the " Rock and Roll Hall of fame " ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2RFHMCZssE
This user liked this post: the_magic_rat

Downhamclaret
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 194 times

Post by Downhamclaret » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:26 am

Saw Bruce Springsteen at the cirucus maximus,Rome and the newcamp Barcelona, was at Hyde Park has well, worth every penny a true entertainer

Reb
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by Reb » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:54 am

Just brilliant - seen him a couple of times most notably The River Tour at Hammersmith. Got all his albums "Nebraksa" being the underated star.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:49 am

Someone mentioned “happy” earlier (st Albans I think) and this gem is hidden away on the 4 cd package called tracks. Not only is it one of Bruce’s best love songs, it’s one of HISTORYS best love songs. When you consider the back catalogue, you can imagine just how good this is (if you haven’t heard it)

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:18 am

Just around the corner. From the xxplugged set for mtv. That’s rockin’
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JsUj6vcKIqw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;