Thoughts?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Thoughts?

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:48 pm

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Re: Thoughts?

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:31 pm

Well that's just weird as **** and I'd certainly stop my daughter attending that lesson.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:31 pm

I managed to read a few paragraphs before the whole site vanished - what a dreadful advertising loaded site.

It is a fact that as children we explore ourselves, and others if we had the chance. I was still junior school age when I was involved in an 'I'll show you mine if you show me yours' episode. Whilst it's not actually sexual it's still of interest.

The question then is do we let this happen naturally as children find things out for themselves, and of course make mistakes which lead to punishment, or do we try and help them find there way more comfortably?

I don't know the answer and I'm not a parent, but I had no sex education whatsoever and had to find things out 'in battle'. I think it would have been better if I'd had some formal sex education.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:44 pm

:shock:

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:47 pm

I read a few sentences and left because I felt uncomfortable reading it.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8515 times
Has Liked: 18257 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:55 pm

Bloody hell

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:19 pm

Hipper wrote:I managed to read a few paragraphs before the whole site vanished - what a dreadful advertising loaded site.

It is a fact that as children we explore ourselves, and others if we had the chance. I was still junior school age when I was involved in an 'I'll show you mine if you show me yours' episode. Whilst it's not actually sexual it's still of interest.

The question then is do we let this happen naturally as children find things out for themselves, and of course make mistakes which lead to punishment, or do we try and help them find there way more comfortably?

I don't know the answer and I'm not a parent, but I had no sex education whatsoever and had to find things out 'in battle'. I think it would have been better if I'd had some formal sex education.
My thoughts exactly. A really thorny issue. Good teachers will do it well, bad ones will be really potentially damaging and dangerous. It would depend on the teacher as to how comfortable I was with this.

We have a 10 year old daughter and there are definitely things she needs to know. Whether it is school or us and at what age is all matters of conjecture.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:39 pm

I don't have kids, but this is ****** up.

I don't really know what else to say about it. It's hard to remember being 6. I don't remember tossing off at play time though. I remember, as hipper says above, 'show me yours and I'll show you mine' whilst at primary school, but I kinda put that down to the earliest form of rebellion. You know you're not allowed to, so you do. That kinda thing. Never once thinking it was sexual, that came later. It was the same level of curiosity as sticking a crayon up your nose, or eating mud, or trying to sit on the swing as your mate tries to push you all the way over the bar.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1102 times

Post by bfcmik » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:28 pm

As far as I could see it just says that they will be telling kids that they may find tickling or stroking themselves fun and that it may even be in their 'private parts'. They will then be told it is wrong or dirty but have it explained to them that there are rules about when and where it is appropriate or otherwise.

There will be no demonstrations using dolls or cartoons nor will instruction be given on how to get the 'fun' bits. I have spoken to a friend who is a school governor in Warwickshire and they say it is all done as a generic non-sexual discussion and that it is definitely needed in many schools - even at Y2 age.

Like it or not, sexuality is out there nowadays. It is everywhere and kids are just as intrigued about these things as they ever were. If they can be taught about keeping things appropriate without being made to feel guilty or dirty for experimenting then that is good.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3161 times
Has Liked: 6751 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:35 pm

My issue with it is that it is taking away the "right" (for lack of a better word) for kids to do this in their own time scale. We don't all develop at the same rate, and this sort of information could cause problems.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4842 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:47 pm

I’ve taught in an inner-city Leeds Primary for just over thirteen years now. I’ve delivered Sex and Relationships Education sessions to my year six class for the last eight.

The content of the curriculum has changed, but I can categorically assure you that this is absolutely not something I have taught or been asked to teach. Far from it. I’m not surprised people with children feel uncomfortable.

As a teacher, I will always do what I believe is right by the children and their families, and thus is something that I never feel would be right, particularly in a primary context.
These 2 users liked this post: Bfcboyo spadesclaret

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:15 am

I'd like to believe this is made up and exaggerated to the extreme. Otherwise what the hell is wrong with this country!

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:16 am

jdrobbo wrote:I’ve taught in an inner-city Leeds Primary for just over thirteen years now. I’ve delivered Sex and Relationships Education sessions to my year six class for the last eight.

The content of the curriculum has changed, but I can categorically assure you that this is absolutely not something I have taught or been asked to teach. Far from it. I’m not surprised people with children feel uncomfortable.

As a teacher, I will always do what I believe is right by the children and their families, and thus is something that I never feel would be right, particularly in a primary context.
Tell us it is a lie so we can sleep at night.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2974 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:42 am

What's next, elementary bomb diffusion, how to wear a stab vest, shaving for beginners ?

BillyIngham'sShorts
Been Liked: 38 times

Post by BillyIngham'sShorts » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:39 am

being a good catholic boy, i would have felt very conflicted to have seen "Double W*****g" on the school timetable.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:21 pm

boatshed bill wrote:My issue with it is that it is taking away the "right" (for lack of a better word) for kids to do this in their own time scale. We don't all develop at the same rate, and this sort of information could cause problems.
Maybe. At junior school as the bigger girls were growing breasts we boys took an interest by groping them.

I have no complaints about being allowed to grope girls breasts in the interests of learning on my own timescale'! I can't remember if any boys got into trouble over it.