Pet dogs kill owner

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Pet dogs kill owner

Post by conyoviejo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:10 pm

Very sad and Terrible news... A woman in Widnes attacked and killed by her two bull mastiff pet dogs..
Luckily her children managed to escape without injury..

Do you trust your dogs .?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... e-49824186" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Re: Pet dogs kill owner

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:15 pm

A completely avoidable and wasteful death.
Anybody owning dogs as potentially powerful and lethal as these want their heads looking at. No different to moronic, gun-owning Americans.
These 5 users liked this post: tim_noone mkmel LoveCurryPies IanMcL Quicknick

conyoviejo

Post by conyoviejo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:25 pm

I love dogs Eddie,but I'd draw the line at having a pair of them as pets..
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie tim_noone

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:26 pm

Why are people allowed to keep these type of dogs.More to the point why do people want to own them paritcularly if they have kids about.
These 2 users liked this post: mkmel IanMcL

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:27 pm

conyoviejo wrote:Very sad and Terrible news... A woman in Widnes attacked and killed by her two bull mastiff pet dogs..
Luckily her children managed to escape without injury..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... e-49824186" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yes.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:30 pm

No doubt the woman in question thought they were lovely dogs "who wouldn't hurt a fly".

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2196 times
Has Liked: 2179 times

Post by fidelcastro » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:34 pm

jrgbfc wrote:No doubt the woman in question thought they were lovely dogs "who wouldn't hurt a fly".
Probably.

I wonder if she was also one of those people who used to say "there's no such thing as bad dogs, just bad owners!"

A statement that was always and remains complete nonsense.
These 3 users liked this post: The Enclosure Swizzlestick mkmel

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1778 times

Post by dougcollins » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:34 pm

'They've never done that before'.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

conyoviejo

Post by conyoviejo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:41 pm

ClaretMoffitt wrote:yes.
Let me expand the question a bit more then... Would you trust them enough to leave in the house on their own with children?

claretnproud
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by claretnproud » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:02 pm

There seems to be an awful lot of cases of dogs attacking people in the merseyside area. I suppose until certain breeds have very strict policing then this will just be an ongoing problem. Many of the owners often seem to be chavs. Something will eventually get done but how many people need to be mauled or disfigured before this happens.

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1486 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:04 pm

Tragic yes, but at least it hasn't torn the face off some little kid or other innocent walking down the street minding their own business.

If I had my way, all dogs would be kept on a lead in public and these types would be banned.
These 4 users liked this post: ZizkovClaret paulatky mkmel Cleveleys_claret

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:09 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:other innocent walking down the street minding their own business.
Met a mate for a coffee in town last week and some bloke appeared with his top off belting out random tunes. He entertained us anyway whilst we had a catch up so I went to put a quid in his hat he had out ..... his dog jumped up at me and ripped a small hole in my shorts and left a deep scratch (deep enough to draw blood) on my leg.

I just walked off but if that was at a kid walking past it could have done some serious damage...... you kind of trust that dog owners wouldn’t put their dogs in a situation it could “go” at people if they know it has a tendency to but I guess that’s too much to hope for.

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1486 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:11 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Met a mate for a coffee in town last week and some bloke appeared with his top off belting out random tunes. He entertained us anyway whilst we had a catch up so I went to put a quid in his hat he had out ..... his dog jumped up at me and ripped a small hole in my shorts and left a deep scratch (deep enough to draw blood) on my leg.

I just walked off but if that was at a kid walking past it could have done some serious damage...... you kind of trust that dog owners wouldn’t put their dogs in a situation it could “go” at people if they know it has a tendency to but I guess that’s too much to hope for.
Used to work near the ghetto bus stops in Birmingham, was looking out of the window one day at some scrubbers dog - it tore the entire leg off a mans trousers who was walking past!

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:20 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Met a mate for a coffee in town last week and some bloke appeared with his top off belting out random tunes. He entertained us anyway whilst we had a catch up so I went to put a quid in his hat he had out ..... his dog jumped up at me and ripped a small hole in my shorts and left a deep scratch (deep enough to draw blood) on my leg.

Hope you reported him. Could easily be a kid next time
This user liked this post: IanMcL

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:40 pm

Almost 9 million pet dogs in the UK so it would come as something of a surprise if a few of these were not in the ownership of people who are not responsible enough to own dogs and look after them properly.

A very sad case and perhaps there needs to be more scrutiny of those people who buy dogs deemed as "dangerous breeds" to ensure that they are not going to homes where they will not be properly supervised and where young children are part of the family.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:31 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Yes.
Attachments
7FAC7D7F-1CC9-452A-BA9F-0416245A7F3D.jpeg
7FAC7D7F-1CC9-452A-BA9F-0416245A7F3D.jpeg (59.9 KiB) Viewed 4200 times
F18EBDD7-5EC0-47EB-AC81-AA6343992E3D.jpeg
F18EBDD7-5EC0-47EB-AC81-AA6343992E3D.jpeg (54.36 KiB) Viewed 4200 times
793EEDEB-EF12-438B-B285-2C975352DC16.jpeg
793EEDEB-EF12-438B-B285-2C975352DC16.jpeg (57.46 KiB) Viewed 4200 times
This user liked this post: CardyTheClaret

lesxdp
Been Liked: 112 times
Has Liked: 1662 times

Post by lesxdp » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:58 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:Yes.

I reckon he/she would steal my crisps

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:14 pm

Time to reinstate the dog licencing system with DNA (for dog fouling identification) along with compulsory pet and liability insurance. Also have a look at all the serious UK wide dog attacks in the last ten years and see if the Dangerous Dogs Act requires an update. I'm sure responsible dog owners will welcome such a system.

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:24 pm

lesxdp wrote:I reckon he/she would steal my crisps
She’d rumbled my secret snaffling of Mini Cheddars.
Last edited by Lord Beamish on Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:17 am

conyoviejo wrote:Do you trust your dogs .?
I trusted my dogs as much as you can trust dogs - I treated them like dogs and I made sure they all knew that they were at the bottom of the pecking order and knew their place.

They were never...

* Greeted before any people when I came home
* Fed before all people had eaten
* Allowed to misbehave without punishment
* Allowed to be disobedient without punishment (eg. refuse to move off the sofa if a person wanted to sit down)
* Allowed to win any competitive game such as tug-o-war, play fighting or 'king of the castle'
* Play any game which I could not win (eg. 'catch me if you can' down the park)

They always were made to...

* Sit before receiving any food
* Sit before receiving anything they wanted (eg. a toy etc)

And they were never allowed in the company of my nieces and nephews without an adult keeping an eye on them at all times. If the adult wasn't able to properly supervise the dog, for example if the children were in different places, then the dog was kept in the kitchen or garden when until the children had gone home.

This is a tragic story but I suspect the root cause is that these dogs were treated like substitute babies and were tendered on according to their canine desires. When you treat a dog like this, the dog does not interpret it as you being "kind"; it simply believes that he is more important than you and must therefore outrank you in your "pack". The dog thinks it has dominant status over you.

And why not? You bring it food whenever it barks, you pet it when it demands and you let it out in the garden when it tells you to. You even smother the dog in "kisses" to demonstrate your submissive status and subservience to the dominant animal.

Many people are treating their dogs this way without a clue.

It's not a problem if the dog is content and happy - the dog simply thinks that it is the leader of a happy and content pack.

The problem is when you have to discipline a dog who thinks it outranks you - suddenly you are trying to usurp their position as pack-leader, a position which your ignorant behaviour has unwittingly reinforced in the dog's mind. Of course it will attack you - that's how it's going to show you who is the boss.

Treat dogs like dogs.
These 10 users liked this post: fatboy47 Rick_Muller Bertiebeehead Bullabill CleggHall Lancasterclaret Darnhill Claret Cleveleys_claret Billy Balfour evensteadiereddie

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5004 times
Has Liked: 6722 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:33 am

Dogs as powerful and dangerous as these should be banned rounded up and put to sleep. There are less dangerous things in zoos.

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:39 am

This mutt has ideas above hisstation
IMG_0447.JPG
IMG_0447.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 3598 times
This user liked this post: CardyTheClaret

CardyTheClaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by CardyTheClaret » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:41 am

Rowls wrote:I trusted my dogs as much as you can trust dogs - I treated them like dogs and I made sure they all knew that they were at the bottom of the pecking order and knew their place.

They were never...

* Greeted before any people when I came home
* Fed before all people had eaten
* Allowed to misbehave without punishment
* Allowed to be disobedient without punishment (eg. refuse to move off the sofa if a person wanted to sit down)
* Allowed to win any competitive game such as tug-o-war, play fighting or 'king of the castle'
* Play any game which I could not win (eg. 'catch me if you can' down the park)

They always were made to...

* Sit before receiving any food
* Sit before receiving anything they wanted (eg. a toy etc)

And they were never allowed in the company of my nieces and nephews without an adult keeping an eye on them at all times. If the adult wasn't able to properly supervise the dog, for example if the children were in different places, then the dog was kept in the kitchen or garden when until the children had gone home.

This is a tragic story but I suspect the root cause is that these dogs were treated like substitute babies and were tendered on according to their canine desires. When you treat a dog like this, the dog does not interpret it as you being "kind"; it simply believes that he is more important than you and must therefore outrank you in your "pack". The dog thinks it has dominant status over you.

And why not? You bring it food whenever it barks, you pet it when it demands and you let it out in the garden when it tells you to. You even smother the dog in "kisses" to demonstrate your submissive status and subservience to the dominant animal.

Many people are treating their dogs this way without a clue.

It's not a problem if the dog is content and happy - the dog simply thinks that it is the leader of a happy and content pack.

The problem is when you have to discipline a dog who thinks it outranks you - suddenly you are trying to usurp their position as pack-leader, a position which your ignorant behaviour has unwittingly reinforced in the dog's mind. Of course it will attack you - that's how it's going to show you who is the boss.

Treat dogs like dogs.
So, your dogs thinks your a miserable **** too?
These 2 users liked this post: Lord Beamish Bosscat

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:53 am

I am a massive dog lover and have had dogs most of my life up until a few years ago when my old dog had to be put down. I’ve got a young family now and I don’t have the time to look after a dog properly so I won’t be getting another.

I also don’t buy into this “there are no bad dogs only bad owners” nonsense. Dogs, like most mammals are susceptible to suffering from neurological conditions which can effect their mood and behaviour. Dog dementia is a thing and there is nothing you can do to stop them becoming aggressive.

I don’t think it’s a massive problem if you have a dog you can fit in a hand bag. My 3 year old could fight off one of those celeb micro dogs with a swift right boot. But anything bigger, even Jack Russell size, could pose him risk. I would never leave my kids alone with any dog no
Matter how friendly. I dislike big aggressive dogs as you never know if they might turn.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:32 am

Anyone else heard, if you die alone at home but with your dog(s), within a couple of hours will start to eat you?

Apparently they start to lick the fluids that leak from your orifaces and then liking the taste, they will start to eat the flesh.

:o

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:44 am

LoveCurryPies wrote:Anyone else heard, if you die alone at home but with your dog(s), within a couple of hours will start to eat you?

Apparently they start to lick the fluids that leak from your orifaces and then liking the taste, they will start to eat the flesh.

Waste not, want not.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8431 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:49 am

Chobulous wrote:This mutt has ideas above hisstation
IMG_0447.JPG
Amazing dog defies gravity by being on the wall

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:50 am

LoveCurryPies wrote:Anyone else heard, if you die alone at home but with your dog(s), within a couple of hours will start to eat you?

Is that "Orifices" or a shortening of "Orrid Faeces"

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:04 am

Billy Balfour wrote:Time to reinstate the dog licencing system with DNA (for dog fouling identification) along with compulsory pet and liability insurance. Also have a look at all the serious UK wide dog attacks in the last ten years and see if the Dangerous Dogs Act requires an update. I'm sure responsible dog owners will welcome such a system.
Owner needs to face charges applicable to the dogs actions. E.g GBH.

SonofPog
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 82 times

Post by SonofPog » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:05 am

I couldn't find much information on the web about it, but this which was interesting

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news ... s-science/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tl/dr... its a possibility.

As for the OP, its a sad event, and while the phrase "there's no bad dogs, just bad dogs owners" is obviously false, yes, of course, like all animals some will be maladjusted, It's true that's there's far far more bad dog owners, than bad dogs.

conyoviejo

Post by conyoviejo » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:21 am

ClaretMoffitt wrote:I find it interesting that the dog haters on here are also lefties.

Lefties in general tend to be cat people.

Cat people tend to be weirdos.

It all makes sense.
I've always liked Pussies . 8-)

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:43 am

ClaretMoffitt wrote:I find it interesting that the dog haters on here are also lefties.

Lefties in general tend to be cat people.

Cat people tend to be weirdos.

It all makes sense.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:02 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Image

I call shenanigans. One of those dogs is fast asleep next to a basket of custard creams.

Also, tidy your bookshelf you savage.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:04 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:I call shenanigans. One of those dogs is fast asleep next to a basket of custard creams.

Also, tidy your bookshelf you savage.
1 - Mrs LC and youngest love Custard Creams

2- I've got far too many books and the kids leave their stuff everywhere

3- Those are cats

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:11 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Image

1 of your cats has a reclining chair ? Spoilt pussy

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:12 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:1 of your cats has a reclining chair ? Spoilt pussy
Only because I kicked her off my office chair

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:23 pm

The uppermost cat think it's a dog, because cats shouldn't sleep like that. it probably thinks it's a dog because the one next to it is disguised as a black labrador puppy.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:25 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:The uppermost cat think it's a dog, because cats shouldn't sleep like that. it probably thinks it's a dog because the one next to it is disguised as a black labrador puppy.
Just checked, and they are both still sleeping like that.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:06 pm

CardyTheClaret wrote:So, your dogs thinks your a miserable **** too?
Obviously you're joking but on a serious point (again) which person do you think -from a dog's perspective- you would be happier to welcome home:

A) The "subservient" person who brings you food whenever you bark

or

B) The "leader of the pack" who provides you with food, exercise, sets all the rules, keeps the pack disciplined and rubs your belly.

It's all about understanding how dogs think.

A dog will stay with anyone who adopts it or feeds it but it won't always respect you unless you treat it like a dog.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:09 pm

Ban dangerous breeds. There’s no need for them. The biggest losers will be chavs that think it makes them look harder instead of just more of a tw*t.

Chobulous

Post by Chobulous » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:13 pm

Bosscat wrote:Amazing dog defies gravity by being on the wall
If you've seen the dendrologists thread you will already be aware that IT is not my forte

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:16 pm

Chobulous wrote:If you've seen the dendrologists thread you will already be aware that IT is not my forte
:shock: is it not a gravity defying dog then :shock:

Nobody should have IT as a forte.

Lets face facts IT is better kept right out of these threads Chobber m8 ;)

Chobulous

Post by Chobulous » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:28 pm

Found out the picture of the leaf was too big. 4.8 MB whatever that means. The leaf was shaped like a christmas tree.

Chobulous

Post by Chobulous » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:29 pm

Bosscat wrote::shock: is it not a gravity defying dog then :shock:

Nobody should have IT as a forte.

Lets face facts IT is better kept right out of these threads Chobber m8 ;)
Keep IT out of life in general if I can, I'm fed up of 5 year-olds laughing at me
This user liked this post: Bosscat