ARTICLE: Back home and Burnley get win against bottom club Birmingham

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32417 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

ARTICLE: Back home and Burnley get win against bottom club Birmingham

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:35 am

Latest from the 1959/60 season

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/back-home-a ... birmingham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Re: ARTICLE: Back home and Burnley get win against bottom club Birmingham

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:43 am

ClaretTony wrote:Latest from the 1959/60 season

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/back-home-a ... birmingham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Went to this game with my dad as usual on the bus from Haslingden. To be honest there is little I can recall about the game but names like Gil Merrick,in goal, and Mike Hellawell and Harry Hooper on the wings remind me very much of that era. However, I am aware of a game around this time where my dad inexplicably decided we leave before the final whistle probably thinking we had the points in the bag. It must have been this game and I can still recall being on the road close to where the club shop is now when a roar went up confirming another goal for us and a definite two points. I suppose my dad was relieved to hear it,too. Leaving early,especially with the outcome still in doubt is something I've never practised though I do understand that people may have pressing engagements which necessitate it. UTC.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:52 am

Doesn't appear to have been the most inspiring of performances against the team at the bottom, but another win and up to third.

Last time I left before the end was at Leeds. We were 3-0 down and I missed a superb Ralph Coates goal.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1280 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:19 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Doesn't appear to have been the most inspiring of performances against the team at the bottom, but another win and up to third.

Last time I left before the end was at Leeds. We were 3-0 down and I missed a superb Ralph Coates goal.
Probably the most memorable part was the rare headed goal from Jimmy Mac, only a handful of which he scored in his time here. Still it was another two points and meant that, at that stage, we had more wins than any other team in Division One.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:24 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:Probably the most memorable part was the rare headed goal from Jimmy Mac, only a handful of which he scored in his time here. Still it was another two points and meant that, at that stage, we had more wins than any other team in Division One.
A Jimmy Mac header was rare indeed - and we'd still have been top had it been three points for a win

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:57 am

Gil Merrick was a very good goalkeeper who played for England on a number of occasions. The one thing that sticks in my mind about that game was being stood near some city fans( no segregation in those days) and not understanding a word they said. Ten years later, I started work in Birmingham and still had the same problem!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:43 am

Suratclaret wrote:Gil Merrick was a very good goalkeeper who played for England on a number of occasions. The one thing that sticks in my mind about that game was being stood near some city fans( no segregation in those days) and not understanding a word they said. Ten years later, I started work in Birmingham and still had the same problem!
Some years later Gil Merrick was manager of Atherstone and recommended their goalkeeper to us who we signed. The goalkeeper was Gerry Peyton.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7178 times

Post by Quicknick » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:50 am

ClaretTony wrote:Some years later Gil Merrick was manager of Atherstone and recommended their goalkeeper to us who we signed. The goalkeeper was Gerry Peyton.
I didn't know that. And what a good keeper he was. It was 1977 when he left for Fulham. On reflection, I'd have kept him and sold Stevenson, who, brilliant though he had been, was on the slide by then.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:13 am

Quicknick wrote:I didn't know that. And what a good keeper he was. It was 1977 when he left for Fulham. On reflection, I'd have kept him and sold Stevenson, who, brilliant though he had been, was on the slide by then.
Peyton went to Fulham in December 76 just days after Stevenson's 26th birthday. He was hardly on the slide then although he was finished as a goalkeeper very young, in his last season at Burnley he was dreadful.