The new 'stoke'

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Wooshydeakin
Been Liked: 4 times
Has Liked: 9 times

The new 'stoke'

Post by Wooshydeakin » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:07 pm

How is it over the last few seasons we've now started to be portrayed as the new Stoke? Long ball rubbish that only play one way. I know we maybe not the most pleasing on the eye and very much play to our strengths with regards 2 big lads up front but no way are we anywhere as direct as pulis' stoke. Does my head in. Just because we are a small club for the level we are playing at.... Why are the media so insistent on making us out to be this anti football? Everton away. 24 passes. Quality goal. If Man City had done that they would be having kittens....... Anyway UTC

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Re: The new 'stoke'

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:20 am

Because the lazy press like to put everything in boxes and they have found one for us.
It’s b0ll0x but if they shout it loud enough the idiots who read them will believe it.

Helmshore Claret
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Helmshore Claret » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:50 am

Bet Stoke wished that they were being called the "New Burnley"!
These 3 users liked this post: randomclaret2 Bosscat Cajun

frankinwales
Been Liked: 86 times
Has Liked: 648 times

Post by frankinwales » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:05 am

We would need a long throw expert to come close............

Up the Clarets........
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill burnleymik

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:07 am

Signings of Walters. Crouch. Bardsley. Pieters. Might help work out why we get labelled that.

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:41 am

The media hate us
The pundits hate us

And we keep performing. They hate us

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:10 am

What you have to bear in mind is that the longer they were in the PL, the more people swallowed the media bullsh*t about playing style and Stoke fans increasingly berated their style of play and cried out for more of Barcelona! It was the same at West Brom, Sunderland, Bolton, West Ham, Swansea and others and it's SOMETIMES the same at the Turf. But you have to be very, very careful what you wish for, as if something ain't broke, stop sticking your fingers into it!! Or you can end up with a mess!!
This user liked this post: claret54

claretnproud
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by claretnproud » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:11 pm

I can see the comparison but dont think we are as direct as they were. The similarity for me is more about work rate and attitude to grind out a result. I thought we were 2nd best today but once again got a good point. Its a great habit to have. utc,

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:37 pm

Wooshydeakin wrote: Everton away. 24 passes. Quality goal...
Focussing on a goal we scored two years ago might suggest there was a dearth of anything similar since...

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:43 pm

Stoke took us apart in the PL in the 09/10 season. Was an obvious gulf in quality, as we are against the likes of Norwich etc.

Stoke changed too much too quickly which is why I believe they are now where they are.

Kick it up to Wood and Barnes or pea roll it to Rodriguez I don't care.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:55 pm

People keep going with this fallacy that a change of style from Pulis’ industrial football did for them. They scored consistently higher places after Hughes changed the style. As usual, poor recruitment was the issue (and still is, by the looks of it).

For what it’s worth, we do mix it up more than Pulis did, but you can see why the comparisons are made - we’re undeniably direct (the Everton goal is a few years down the line now and was when we had our ‘technical’ players fit and firing) and we’ve signed a good few ex Stoke players. While the ‘physical’ and ‘anti football’ comments are tiresome, I’ve seen a good bit of praise in the media, too, particularly for our defensive and tactical set ups.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Cajun
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Cajun » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:11 pm

We are not going to out-football the best teams in the land, so we play to our strengths, identify the opposition's weaknesses, and figure out how we can get points off them. We are very difficult to beat and very good at what we do. I'm perfectly happy for other clubs and their fans to be frustrated by us as we take points off them. A surprising number of people are aware of the PL and Burnley with the extensive TV coverage over here, and appreciate the way we continue to do well and the team spirit we show.

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1506 times

Post by Goodclaret » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:19 pm

thatdberight wrote:Focussing on a goal we scored two years ago might suggest there was a dearth of anything similar since...
Ok, shall we look at the goal we scored at Brighton just a couple of weeks ago?

I do get a wee bit fed up of the media and, especially, other so called football fans (including some of ours) saying we are the Antichrist of football when, if you take a bit of time to look at our performances we are not that at all. We play some good stuff but still mix it up when we have to try and grind out a result. It's almost as though we try and use our resources in the best way possible?!