Aston Villa - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Re: Aston Villa - Player Ratings

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:55 pm

ClaretTony wrote:It appears not but why is Lowton ignoring McGinn?

Tony you said Lowton cost us the first goal but he didnt - i agree Lowton after the cross for their second should have been on Mc Ginn but the same could be said for Mee for their first goal if thats the case.

But to prevent both goals you have to stop the crosses and they were both on Peiters side.

Also the same will be said for them - stop the cross and you are likely to stop the goal.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:10 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:Tony you said Lowton cost us the first goal but he didnt - i agree Lowton after the cross for their second should have been on Mc Ginn but the same could be said for Mee for their first goal if thats the case.

But to prevent both goals you have to stop the crosses and they were both on Peiters side.

Also the same will be said for them - stop the cross and you are likely to stop the goal.
How should Lowton be on McGinn for the second goal? When a cross is coming in from our left then Lowton's job is to go more central and help out covering the centre halves. McGinn came in from quite deep. Maybe that would have been the job of the right midfielder but I don't think we had one at that point?

You could argue that Pieters could have done better getting closer to the winger and trying to stop the cross but Trezerguet is quick and did Pieters over 5-10 yards.

Sometimes you've got to hold your hand up and say, 'Good wing play and then McGinn did well to control the volley, keep it down and hit the target'.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:16 pm

Wasn't there, so only going off highlights, but I must admit I didn't think Lowton did much wrong for either goal. First is a poor cross, but that happens and they should have too much to do to score. Second seems to me to be an excellent finish from an excellent cross.

The second actually appeared to me to be a result of Villa exploiting our change in shape. McGinn is well beyond the back post, which is the territory I'd expect the wide midfielder on that side to pick up - Lowton starts by coming in to make sure he's in the right position to defend the back post, which is precisely what he should do. In the event, there isn't a blindside winger which means that McGinn has perfectly intelligently dropped into space (and been found by a cross designed to take out our back four - good planning by Villa) , and finishes it well. I also thought the change of shape excused Pieters a bit - in a 442, McNeil gets (or should get0 much closer to the winger than Barnes does.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1239 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:30 pm

My view would be Pieters main culprit for goal 1. Goal 2 is a good goal with nobody particularly at fault.

Pieters should also have 2 assists so even if he’s responsible for both he’s done ok. If you take it that he is to blame for just the first he has done more than ok

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:40 pm

Both are very good finishes to be fair, though the 2nd can just as easily hit Popes leg and bounce clear as go in.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:54 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Both are very good finishes to be fair, though the 2nd can just as easily hit Popes leg and bounce clear as go in.

I also think Pope should have done better on the second goal

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1143 times

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:54 pm

Pieters has a habit of backing off wingers and then trying to block the crosses. That’s good when it works but dangerous when it doesnt. Pope was probably most at fault with the secon as it went straight thru his legs but somebody should have picked up Mcginns late run. Having said that it’s easy to blame the defense every time s goal is scored. Both our goals could have been stopped but they weren’t and we where worthy of another good away point. UTC

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:56 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:I also think Pope should have done better on the second goal
Possibly

But its hit hard and low and he's moving across from the near post to the far post.

Would have been a good save

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32417 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:05 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:I also think Pope should have done better on the second goal
Very difficult for a goalkeeper when it is hit like that.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:09 pm

I agree it is when hit near the legs

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:30 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:How should Lowton be on McGinn for the second goal? When a cross is coming in from our left then Lowton's job is to go more central and help out covering the centre halves. McGinn came in from quite deep. Maybe that would have been the job of the right midfielder but I don't think we had one at that point?
My thoughts exactly regards those blaming Lowton for the second goal.

For me it is too easy for the winger to get to the byline unchallenged and get a lowish trajectory deep cross in that gave us no time to react to McGinn coming on to it

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:41 pm

On another day it hits the outside of Pope's leg flies clear and it's a great reaction save.

McGinn sees it early, sets himself and hits the ball low and hard - all Pope can do is get in the way. Where the ball ends up is then something of a lottery.