Time for a change away from home?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Time for a change away from home?

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:09 pm

5 across midfield/4-4-1-1 ?

I think we have the players available now to do it again, maybe even better than before.

I know, we're 3 unbeaten and our forwards have been scoring. But we've been lumping it as much as ever and I think that we've been a little lucky to get two of them draws.

Stay as, or change?

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Re: Time for a change away from home?

Post by MACCA » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:24 pm

This could get interesting, I genuinely like the debate of our style and the massive contrasts in how people perceive how we play.

mickleoverclaret
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 424 times

Post by mickleoverclaret » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:29 pm

Thought it was interesting how early Dyche changed the formation, he must have seen something in it at Brighton.

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:31 pm

Think the change was forced on him by Cork’s injury

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:33 pm

MACCA wrote:This could get interesting, I genuinely like the debate of our style and the massive contrasts in how people perceive how we play.

I love it that we play "mixed football".

There is no point having a philosophy if you don't have the best players in the league.

That sort of shite is going to see someone like Norwich relegated.

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:35 pm

paulatky wrote:Think the change was forced on him by Cork’s injury

But he could have just moved Jeff inside and brought on Brady.
These 3 users liked this post: Sonic jdrobbo cricketfieldclarets

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:38 pm

Fair play to Dyche he seems to be showing a bit more flexibility. At half time you'd have expected him to move Hendrick inside and bring one of our wide men on and stick with 4-4-2.
These 2 users liked this post: bobinho cricketfieldclarets

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:44 pm

I prefer 442, most other teams hate playing against us because of it. Where we let ourselves down, is not getting the ball on the deck and playing to feet, or running the channels.
The long ball is effective, but we need to mix it up more. We have the players, especially out wide to get the ball into better positions for delivery, rather than launching it.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1099 times

Post by bfcmik » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:48 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:But we've been lumping it as much as ever and I think that we've been a little lucky to get two of them draws.
We may have been a bit fortunate in Villa not being a good side despite knocking the ball quite well at times but we were distinctly unlucky to only get a draw at Wolves and the defeat at Arsenal could have seen us get a deserved point.

I don't think we lump it very often. We hit long targetted balls up to a physical and mobile front 2, we knock deliberate balls into the channels behind or outside defenders and long diagonal balls out towards advancing wide players. To my mind, hoof ball is where you just belt it as far as you can hoping there is someone nearby when it comes down.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets summitclaret

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:52 pm

bfcmik wrote:We hit long targetted balls up to a physical and mobile front 2, we knock deliberate balls into the channels behind or outside defenders and long diagonal balls out towards advancing wide players. To my mind, hoof ball is where you just belt it as far as you can hoping there is someone nearby when it comes down.
:lol: :lol:

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:56 pm

bfcmik wrote:We may have been a bit fortunate in Villa not being a good side despite knocking the ball quite well at times but we were distinctly unlucky to only get a draw at Wolves and the defeat at Arsenal could have seen us get a deserved point.

I don't think we lump it very often. We hit long targetted balls up to a physical and mobile front 2, we knock deliberate balls into the channels behind or outside defenders and long diagonal balls out towards advancing wide players. To my mind, hoof ball is where you just belt it as far as you can hoping there is someone nearby when it comes down.
I support the local team in my town in Spain and they try to play a possession based, patient game with everything going out to the wing and back again before they try and put one of their forwards through. It's awful. I love watching hoof ball, where the defenders have to battle with forwards, it's much more exciting than watching someone trying to pass it to death.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:43 am

No. We are far better with two up top. We don’t have a striker who is suited to playing the lone role. Or enough pace to get up and support one.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:46 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:But he could have just moved Jeff inside and brought on Brady.
Which if it was 0-0, or we were leading the wouod have.

The fact we were behind, and lucky for it to only have been by 1 kind of forced his hand, we had what he likes to call a free shot with nothing to lose.

I dont think anyone can honestly say it was a masterstroke.
If it had not been for the injury to Cork or us not being behind itd have been same set up/personel.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:09 am

He took Cork off and brought on Jay yesterday. McNeil then played more centrally in midfield so we adopted a 433 which is similar to what we did in the second half at Brighton.

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:17 am

We played with good width after the sub and it did look effective. The trick of that formation is to play 4-5-1 when you're not in possession but move to 4-3-3 quickly when you do had it, and it requires a lot of stamina from wingers. I thought Barnes was outstanding for that reason.

I think we should stick to 4-4-2 but it's good to know we can make subs to change a game. This must be the strongest squad we've ever had in the PL. Taylor and Vydra not even in the sixteen speaks volumes about our depth.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:29 am

Thought we looked much more effective with the 433 after the break. Suddenly we were able to get a grip on Villa in midfield, who at times were playing with 4 in there during the first half. We still played long, but we were able to do so into the channels instead of always in front of their massive centre backs.

McNeil and Hendrick did well defensively and also in supporting our attacks, and I thought Rodriguez and Barnes were brilliant going both ways too. Wood was also good as the central striker, see his goal for an example, where he comes short, lays it off and then gets into the box to score.

If we were to play it regularly it would need altering slightly, as I don’t think we could start every away game with 3 strikers. For me, I’d I’ve one of Barnes or Jay our wide, with either Gudmundsson or Brady on the other side to give us a better shape.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:21 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:5 across midfield/4-4-1-1 ?

I think we have the players available now to do it again, maybe even better than before.

I know, we're 3 unbeaten and our forwards have been scoring. But we've been lumping it as much as ever and I think that we've been a little lucky to get two of them draws.

Stay as, or change?
The strikers scoring is the main thing. We struggle to do so with a lone one.

Also yes probably a bit of luck getting the draws. But yesterday’s wasn’t without a bit of fight and determination. Brighton probably less so.

We were also unlucky not to get the win at wolves. Which had we got that and lost Brighton and villa we’d acyually be higher up the table.

Systems working very well. IMO of course.

mickleoverclaret
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 424 times

Post by mickleoverclaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:19 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:The strikers scoring is the main thing. We struggle to do so with a lone one.

Also yes probably a bit of luck getting the draws. But yesterday’s wasn’t without a bit of fight and determination. Brighton probably less so.

We were also unlucky not to get the win at wolves. Which had we got that and lost Brighton and villa we’d acyually be higher up the table.

Systems working very well. IMO of course.
If we'd won at Wolves and lost to Brighton and Villa we'd have the same points but have a slightly worse goal difference.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:33 pm

mickleoverclaret wrote:If we'd won at Wolves and lost to Brighton and Villa we'd have the same points but have a slightly worse goal difference.
Sorry. I thought I’d included arsenal in that where we should’ve got a draw.