Sheffield united

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Sheffield united

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:03 am

Just seen their squad from today’s close game with Liverpool. I can’t believe how many journeymen type players they have. Leon Clarke being the biggest surprise.

Will they be able to keep up their energy and fight?

Also although wilder has done an amazing job there felt his management of the keeper today was a bit poor.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: Sheffield united

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:11 am

They'll be relegated along with Norwich.

It was more than 'a bit poor' about the goalkeeper. He virtually said that he's a billy big b0llocks and was the reason they lost.

Not great management.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:41 am

chris wilder came across as a ****, idiot of a manager.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:26 am

Haven't got the nous like wot we have.
They've had a fair start, but they'll sink down soon and will be lucky to stay up.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1463 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:33 am

They were unlucky today when Liverpool were off their game and they should have got something and it is that lack of killer instinct that may see them in trouble.

With regards to Wilder, I thought he was right and fair. The keeper is clearly a United fan and wants to play for them but will need to cut those type of mistakes out if he is to get that type of move.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1239 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:33 am

Goobs wrote: The keeper is clearly a United fan and wants to play for them but will need to cut those type of mistakes out if he is to get that type of move.
You would think so. Although it doesn’t stop the current incumbent making similar mistakes and getting rewarded with a million pounds a month contract. Must be nice......

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:36 am

Very surprised by Wilder’s post match comments about the keeper. He’s done similar before - I think he’s just trying to come across as ‘telling it like it is’ to the fans but appears to be trying too hard. Sometimes you need to manage the situation better particularly with young players. And Shef Utd have “plucky but not quite enough” written all over them.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:40 am

Goobs wrote:They were unlucky today when Liverpool were off their game and they should have got something and it is that lack of killer instinct that may see them in trouble.

With regards to Wilder, I thought he was right and fair. The keeper is clearly a United fan and wants to play for them but will need to cut those type of mistakes out if he is to get that type of move.
A World Cup winner lost the ball trying to Cruyff turn in his own box yesterday. Pretty certain he’s fumbled one through his legs too. Yeah, you can work on things in training but to dig him out like that after the game is unhelpful and counter productive, particularly for a team that needs all the collective team spirit it can muster in order to survive.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:40 am

They were very good yesterday to be fair.

Caught Liverpool on an off day but couldn't take advantage which isn't ideal.

But from what I've seen so far, they will give anyone a game and they are unbeaten away from home (no mean feat)

Be interesting to see if they can keep the spirit and effort levels up.

Still far too early to be writing anyone off IMHO of course

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:52 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Also although wilder has done an amazing job there felt his management of the keeper today was a bit poor.
I'm already getting bored of his brutally honest post-match interviews.

What a character......
This user liked this post: burnmark

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1991 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:56 am

Goobs wrote:They were unlucky today when Liverpool were off their game
How many times have teams said they were off their game against us?
It’s a lack of respect for the smaller team devising a system that restricts them.
SheffU were very unlucky not to get a deserved point. I think they could be the promoted team to stay up.

Shore claret
Been Liked: 267 times
Has Liked: 660 times

Post by Shore claret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:13 am

Goobs wrote:They were unlucky today when Liverpool were off their game and they should have got something and it is that lack of killer instinct that may see them in trouble.

I think he's on loan from united.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5043 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:22 am

I think they've had a great start, but I too think they'll go down.

Its interesting the 3 different approaches of the promoted teams, and I think Sheff U have the best strategy. They've bought a very good Championship team, that's getting lots of experience, and will no doubt be hungry to bounce back if they should go down. They can then come back with a lot stronger team next time.

Norwich and Villa are more likely to lose players, especially their top players if they go down, and could struggle to bounce back.

Shore claret
Been Liked: 267 times
Has Liked: 660 times

Post by Shore claret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:31 am

Just watched motd ,they need a decent striker made some good chances but didn't look like putting one away.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:13 am

Goobs wrote: With regards to Wilder, I thought he was right and fair. The keeper is clearly a United fan and wants to play for them but will need to cut those type of mistakes out if he is to get that type of move.
He already plays for united. On loan at Sheffield.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:15 am

Swizzlestick wrote:A World Cup winner lost the ball trying to Cruyff turn in his own box yesterday. Pretty certain he’s fumbled one through his legs too. Yeah, you can work on things in training but to dig him out like that after the game is unhelpful and counter productive, particularly for a team that needs all the collective team spirit it can muster in order to survive.
Agree hundred percent.

Can you imagine dyches reaction to pope making a similar error? Would be totally different. In public at least.

What kind of extra unnecessary pressure does that put on a young kid? And will it make him want to work for that manager?

IMO wilder was ****** off about the result and put the blame squarely on the young goalkeeper.

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:20 am

Sheff U seem to have a bit more resilience than Norwich (who ship goals for fun) and Villa (who look mentally fragile and can’t keep hold of a lead). They also seem to be doing ok away from home (1 win and 2 draws I think) which is where promoted sides tend to really struggle. That said, it’s still very early in the season and promoted sides always carry a bit of momentum. Always hard to maintain such high effort standards over the course of a season.