Lancashire CCC Awards Night

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Lancashire CCC Awards Night

Post by tybfc » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:03 am

Lancashire County Cricket Club held their annual awards night this week and below is a brief summary of who won the prizes and what has been happening around the Emirates Old Trafford.

Lancashire captain Dane Vilas deservedly scooped three awards at tonight’s End of Season Awards held in The Point at Emirates Old Trafford.

The skipper picked up the headline award, Player of the Year, winning a Members’ vote overwhelmingly to collect the prize.

The 34-year-old also won the Red Rose Player of the Year, voted for among the Red Rose Members, as well as the Championship player of the year for his outstanding performances in leading Lancashire through an unbeaten First-Class season, their first since 1974, in winning the Division Two title.

Vilas scored 1,036 runs in 14 Championship matches at an average of 74.63, including a career-best 266 against Glamorgan, the highest by a Lancashire number six in First-Class history and the highest score by anyone in this year’s County Championship.

He led the side to a Royal London One-Day Cup semi-final, scoring 439 runs including a remarkable 166 in the match against Notts Outlaws, and also reached the Vitality Blast quarter-final, adding a further 259 runs in the competition.

Recent England call-up Saqib Mahmood won the One-Day Player of the Year after an incredible season in the Royal London One-Day Cup. The right-arm seam bowler finished with a tournament-high 28 wickets which almost powered Lancashire to a Lord’s final.

T20 Player of the Year went to Glenn Maxwell for his outstanding contribution on and off the pitch during the Vitality Blast. The all-rounder scored three fifties in making 305 runs in the competition, took six wickets and eight catches, including a club record four in an innings during the thrilling win over Notts Outlaws at Emirates Old Trafford.

The award was collected by Josh Bohannon on Maxwell’s behalf, with the 22-year-old winning the Young Player of the Year after an impressive season of progression, culminating in a maiden First-Class century batting at number three against Derbyshire earlier this month.

Champagne Moment of the Year was presented to Steven Croft on behalf of the Lancashire squad for the thrilling one-run win over Yorkshire in the Royal London One-Day Cup match at Headingley.

Emma Lamb won Lancashire Thunder’s Player of the Year award after taking ten wickets, with a best of 3/33 against beaten finalists Southern Vipers, while also adding 115 runs.

Lancashire Women’s Player of the Year went to Georgie Boyce for scoring 383 runs during their One-Day and T20 campaigns, with Boyce finishing as the tournament’s third-highest run-scorer in the 50-over competition.

Northern Cricket Club were selected as Club of the Year, Wasim Afridi was named Disability Player of the Year for a second successive season and Liz Chamberlain of Adlington CC won Volunteer of the Year, as nominated by awards sponsors AO.

Norden Cricket Club also had their Lancashire Knockout Cup trophy, sponsored by Heineken, re-presented after beating Darwen Cricket Club in the final at the beginning of September.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2071 times

Re: Lancashire CCC Awards Night

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:08 am

I read somewhere that Jimmu Anderson's 30 wickets at an average of just 9 was the best in county cricket for quite some time.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:26 am

ty - Gleeson gets 47 wickets at 20, Mahmood 21 at 30 yet Mahmood is the England pick, any comments?
Similarly for Parkinson, I guess they are younger but it's tough on Gleeson and possibly Bailey.

CBT
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by CBT » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:21 pm

CleggHall wrote:ty - Gleeson gets 47 wickets at 20, Mahmood 21 at 30 yet Mahmood is the England pick, any comments?
Similarly for Parkinson, I guess they are younger but it's tough on Gleeson and possibly Bailey.
Mahmood is alot quicker(as quick as Archer so I'm told)
I think England looking towards next ashes in Oz were pace is key

Leisure
Been Liked: 3787 times
Has Liked: 12479 times

Post by Leisure » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:37 pm

Did Vilas not win an award for the worst ever decision as to who should bowl the 19th over in a 20/20 game? ;)
This user liked this post: ashtonlongsider

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:40 pm

That's naughty Leisure.
It was an inexplicably poor decision but otherwise, the man had a terrific season & deserves the accolades.

Let's hope LCCC is successful in the expanded 1st division next summer. I look forward to seeing them down The Oval again (and might even watch them down Southampton).

Leisure
Been Liked: 3787 times
Has Liked: 12479 times

Post by Leisure » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:43 pm

LeadBelly wrote:That's naughty Leisure.
It was an inexplicably poor decision but otherwise, the man had a terrific season & deserves the accolades.

Let's hope LCCC is successful in the expanded 1st division next summer. I look forward to seeing them down The Oval again (and might even watch them down Southampton).
Fully agree that he's had a tremendous season but I still can't get my head around the decision to bowl Livingston! Would love to know what his thought process was for him to come to that decision!

Flixton Claret
Been Liked: 57 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Flixton Claret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:30 pm

Clegg Hall I'll comment!
Based on this season's bowling averages Mahmood was ranked the 10th best Lancashire bowler with an average of 31.2
Anderson 9.36
Lamb 14.83
Parkinson 19.05
Onions 19.57
Gleeson 20.17
Maxwell 20.50
Bailey 21.00
Livingstone 24.90
Parry 31.20
Mahmood 31.42

I think it says more about England than Lancs!!

Although he was ranked 5th on wickets taken!
This user liked this post: CleggHall