The New Labour Leader

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Re: The New Labour Leader

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:23 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:You're admitting your double standard. That a majority opposing Corbyn is proof of Corbyn's unsuitability, but a majority opposing Johnson is not proof of Johnson's unsuitability.
Not at all, I personally find Corbyn completely unsuitable for the job of Prime Minister and I'm not in a small club. I'm not keen on Boris Johnson either, but of the two, I know which I'd rather have ...

Have you read Tom Bower's biography of Corbyn ?
Last edited by Clarets4me on Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:24 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Simply by insisting on terms that they know will be unacceptable, in respect of fishing rights, future role of the ECJ, the backstop, and a host of other issues. Mrs May's " withdrawal deal " was written almost entirely by the EU negotiating team, and it has been described as being something more suitable for " a Country defeated in war " . The EU team have done this to discourage others ...

Oh, and **** off yourself ! :D
The backstop. The ******* backstop.
That was our idea.

You haven't got a ******* clue, have you?

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:29 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Not at all, I personally find Corbyn completely unsuitable for the job of Prime Minister and I'm not in a small club. I'm not keen on Boris Johnson either, but of the two, I know which I'd rather have ...

Have you read Tom Boyer's biography of Corbyn ?
You can think Corbyn is unsuitable for the job without holding a double standard. You demonstrated a double standard when you argued that the fact that a majority of the country think Corbyn is unsuitable is evidence of his unsuitability yet refused to accept that exact same standard for Johnson.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2216 times
Has Liked: 2204 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:32 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Not at all, I personally find Corbyn completely unsuitable for the job of Prime Minister and I'm not in a small club. I'm not keen on Boris Johnson either, but of the two, I know which I'd rather have ...

Have you read Tom Boyer's biography of Corbyn ?
No idea who Tom Boyer is, but how do I already know that this biography won't have been fair and balanced?

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:34 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Simply by insisting on terms that they know will be unacceptable, in respect of fishing rights, future role of the ECJ, the backstop, and a host of other issues. Mrs May's " withdrawal deal " was written almost entirely by the EU negotiating team, and it has been described as being something more suitable for " a Country defeated in war " . The EU team have done this to discourage others ...

Oh, and **** off yourself ! :D
The backstop was our idea. The EU suggested the option of having the border in the Irish Sea. The Tory's refused because of them needing the DUP to cling to power. Now Johnson has sacked his majority and therefore the DUP is no longer any use his masterplan to overcome the backstop is to suggest to the EU to have the border in the Irish Sea

It is this pitiful political incompetence by the Tory's that has had us going round in circles for years

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:45 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:The backstop. The ******* backstop.
That was our idea. You haven't got a ******* clue, have you?
The Backstop was insisted upon by the Irish Government ....

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:49 pm

fidelcastro wrote:No idea who Tom Boyer is, but how do I already know that this biography won't have been fair and balanced?
Tom Bower, my apologies !

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:50 pm

Clarets4me wrote:The Backstop was insisted upon by the Irish Government ....
Have you being taking lessons on truthfulness from Boris the ....

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3860 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:56 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:You can think Corbyn is unsuitable for the job without holding a double standard. You demonstrated a double standard when you argued that the fact that a majority of the country think Corbyn is unsuitable is evidence of his unsuitability yet refused to accept that exact same standard for Johnson.
Corbyn has been around for a long time in politics, voting against nearly every proposal brought to the house, even from Labour. He has shown great ability to say what is wrong with everything and put a spanner in the works.

But to be a PM you need to be someone who puts the ideas forward, to show people the way.

I can't think of anything he has done in all his years which would suggest he is suitable for the job.

You might be able to?
This user liked this post: jrtod61

CardyTheClaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by CardyTheClaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:56 pm

fidelcastro wrote:It was an idea that, on the face of it , doesn't sound too bad, but as far as I know wasn't actually passed as Party policy at the Labour Party conference.

However, only a Tory would actually want people to be earning less!
I’m no Tory, even if I was why would it mean people earning less? The fact you think it doesn’t sound too bad suggest you have no clue how the economy works.

HarryPottsDesk
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by HarryPottsDesk » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:57 pm

Hello to all the stupid right-wing people. Nice to see you all out again.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:02 pm

Burypaddy wrote:You say corbyn but how many votes will johnson lose in parliament before he gives up his job??? He hasnt won one in seven!!!
Erm I don’t mean to be pedantic but it’s because it’s technically a minority govt in a contentious vote

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:05 pm

CardyTheClaret wrote:I’m no Tory, even if I was why would it mean people earning less? The fact you think it doesn’t sound too bad suggest you have no clue how the economy works.
They're currently earning less than a minimum of ten pounds per hour, which is why I stated you supported them earning less than ten pounds per hour.

The old chestnut about businesses not being able to afford this is exactly the same tory mantra from 1997, when Labour wanted to bring in a minimum wage. "Businesses will go to the wall" the greedy capitalists said! If that Tory government had continued we'd still have people earning two quid an hour! :x

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:08 pm

A minimum wage of £10 per hour for under 18s would be stupid.
This user liked this post: fidelcastro

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:16 pm

taio wrote:A minimum wage of £10 per hour for under 18s would be stupid.
Or alternatively, it might be an incentive for people that age to want to find work.

All academic anyway. I'll stand corrected, but this, as yet, isn't official policy.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:21 pm

fidelcastro wrote:Or alternatively, it might be an incentive for people that age to want to find work.

All academic anyway. I'll stand corrected, but this, as yet, isn't official policy.
There's a whole raft a reasons why I'd be opposed to it, such as a significant risk of increasing youth unemployment, deterring some young people from further education, that under 18s don't typically have the commitments or experience adults have, and it'd be against the advice of the low pay commission.

CardyTheClaret

Post by CardyTheClaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:25 pm

fidelcastro wrote:They're currently earning less than a minimum of ten pounds per hour, which is why I stated you supported them earning less than ten pounds per hour.

The old chestnut about businesses not being able to afford this is exactly the same tory mantra from 1997, when Labour wanted to bring in a minimum wage. "Businesses will go to the wall" the greedy capitalists said! If that Tory government had continued we'd still have people earning two quid an hour! :x
The minimum wage as it is now is crippling small businesses. To pay it to that age group would make millions of kids unemployable.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:35 pm

CardyTheClaret wrote:The minimum wage as it is now is crippling small businesses. To pay it to that age group would make millions of kids unemployable.
So, from that statement, can I take it that you think the minimum wage is too high? :shock:

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:51 pm

dermotdermot wrote:Apparently a two horse race between Rebecca Long Bailey and Laura Pidcock. God help us!
Is a new contest likely in the near future?

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:08 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:How many elections will Corbyn lose before he gives his job up?
Maybe none at all.

yTib
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 665 times

Post by yTib » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:09 pm

CardyTheClaret wrote:The minimum wage as it is now is crippling small businesses. To pay it to that age group would make millions of kids unemployable.
i remember the same argument from the tories in the mid nineties. it arrived and it was one of the only good things to come out of blair's premiership.

now they're so on board with it they've even rebranded it the 'living wage'.

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2246 times

Post by mkmel » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:26 pm

yTib wrote:i remember the same argument from the tories in the mid nineties. it arrived and it was one of the only good things to come out of blair's premiership.

now they're so on board with it they've even rebranded it the 'living wage'.
Re Tony Blair you forgot Ireland

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3860 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:37 pm

IanMcL wrote:Maybe none at all.
He's already lost two hasn't he?

One where Theresa May didn't even campaign or offer policy, just kept saying how bad he was.

yTib
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 665 times

Post by yTib » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:40 pm

mkmel wrote:Re Tony Blair you forgot Ireland
that was largely down to john major.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:48 pm

Ballcocks, don't be a **** - you're trying to rewrite history.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3077 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:50 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Brexit hasn't been cancelled. No one is standing in the way of the will of the people. That's just bullshit that is being spread by extremists who want the most damaging form of Brexit possible, for which there is absolutely no mandate.

The will of the people is to leave the EU based on campaign promises. You have just demanded that the will of the people be enacted "as we were promised" during the campaign. You can't pick and choose what campaign promises must be followed. We were promised that there would not be a "no deal" Brexit just like you were promised Brexit.

You can have what you were promised. But I want what I was promised too. But the problem is that you and your lot seem to think that the only way you can have what you were promised is if what I was promised is denied to me. Why?

During the campaign we were promised brexit with a deal if we voted to leave. That's what I'm demanding from my politicians, why aren't you?
IF you really wanted Brexit with a deal, then you and all the tossers in Parliament should have been behind May, and behind Boris, giving them the support they deserved.
Instead they got no support, they weren't even given a free hand, they've been hindered by the House every step of the way for 3.5 years.
You say you want what was promised, and just like the arseholes in Parliament, you're a liar. You dont want a deal, you want a no deal, so they can use it as an excuse to overturn the referendum.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:12 pm

Our form of democracy is fooked. Brexit is nothing more than a convenient stopping off point. Parliament as we know it is defunkt

cbx750
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 372 times

Post by cbx750 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:22 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:Ballcocks, don't be a **** - you're trying to rewrite history.
Taken from the Guardian site.

Tony Blair and Bertie Ahern, the former British and Irish prime ministers, are rightly lauded for their historic roles in leading the Good Friday Agreement negotiations. But their warm and constructive relationship was only made possible after their predecessors had embarked on the hard graft of normalising Anglo-Irish relations.

The key relationship was between John Major, prime minister from 1990-97, and Albert Reynolds, Taoiseach between 1992-94. The two men, who had formed a strong bond as finance ministers at EU meetings in Brussels, had a straightforward and open relationship.

Major and Reynolds had a tough job. Their predecessors, Margaret Thatcher and Charles Haughey, had a tetchy relationship. Their relationship started well at the famous famous "teapot" summit in 1981 when Haughey presented Thatcher with a silver Georgian teapot and they agreed to examine the "totality of relationships" between the two islands. But Thatcher became alarmed by Haughey's determination to press ahead what she regarded as overly nationalist plans.

The breakthrough in Anglo-Irish relations took place under John Major and Albert Reynolds in 1993 at, of all places, the Baldonnel military airbase where the Queen was welcomed today. Lord Butler of Brockwell, the former cabinet secretary, flew to the airbase for a secret meeting with Reynolds who had an early draft of a proposed new Anglo-Irish declaration. This eventually became the Downing Street Declaration of December 1993 which was one of the first steps on the lengthy road that led to the Good Friday Agreement four and a half years later.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:18 pm

So your "largely down to" = the Guardian's "one of the first steps", does it ? :roll:

CardyTheClaret

Post by CardyTheClaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:23 pm

fidelcastro wrote:So, from that statement, can I take it that you think the minimum wage is too high? :shock:
Yes. In East Lancashire, it is. That’s if you’re the one paying it, of course.
Last edited by CardyTheClaret on Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stockbrokerbelt
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 137 times

Post by Stockbrokerbelt » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:23 pm

Jess Philips, she would rip Boris a big one & break his arm if he started any of his love buffoonery.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:25 pm

CardyTheClaret wrote:Yes. In East Lancashire, it is.
Why is that?

Is there no poverty in East Lancashire?

:?

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:32 pm

CardyTheClaret wrote:Yes. In East Lancashire, it is. That’s if you’re the one paying it, of course.
If you are an employer who believes £10 ph is too much for your business, can I make a couple of suggestions?
1. Charge more for your services.
2. Cut your non-wage expenses.

Got to be right! ;)

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:39 pm

boatshed bill wrote:If you are an employer who believes £10 ph is too much for your business, can I make a couple of suggestions?

Got to be right! ;)
Exactly right.

I wonder how much old CardyTheClaret would pay his workers (you know, the ones who generate wealth!), if the minimum wage wasn't the law?

cbx750
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 372 times

Post by cbx750 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:10 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:So your "largely down to" = the Guardian's "one of the first steps", does it ? :roll:
Was looking more at the first paragraph especially the last sentence and it was not "my" largely down to.
Last edited by cbx750 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardyTheClaret

Post by CardyTheClaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:23 pm

fidelcastro wrote:Exactly right.

I wonder how much old CardyTheClaret would pay his workers (you know, the ones who generate wealth!), if the minimum wage wasn't the law?
It depends what they are doing. Now, you answer me this. Which would you prefer. The minimum wage living in London, or in Burnley?

CardyTheClaret

Post by CardyTheClaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:25 pm

boatshed bill wrote:If you are an employer who believes £10 ph is too much for your business, can I make a couple of suggestions?

Got to be right! ;)
I have got over 230 happy employees who are more than happy with my rates of pay. Thanks for the business advice, boatshed.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:37 pm

CardyTheClaret wrote:I have got over 230 happy employees who are more than happy with my rates of pay. Thanks for the business advice, boatshed.
I'm delighted for you.
And do you pay them all the minimum wage, or above?

CardyTheClaret

Post by CardyTheClaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:52 pm

boatshed bill wrote:I'm delighted for you.
And do you pay them all the minimum wage, or above?
I have people on minimum, I have people on 100k+ I’m also pleased that you’re delighted.
This user liked this post: Clarets4me

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:56 pm

CardyTheClaret wrote:It depends what they are doing. Now, you answer me this. Which would you prefer. The minimum wage living in London, or in Burnley?
Irrelevant. I don't and wouldn't live in London.

It's because of greedy employers like you that the minimum wage was brought in in the first place.

(One of the few good things that Tony Blair did).

CardyTheClaret

Post by CardyTheClaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:01 pm

fidelcastro wrote:Irrelevant. I don't and wouldn't live in London.

It's because of greedy employers like you that the minimum wage was brought in in the first place.

(One of the few good things that Tony Blair did).
You don’t even know me or my business, yet you assume I’m greedy.
This user liked this post: Clarets4me

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:21 pm

CardyTheClaret wrote:You don’t even know me or my business, yet you assume I’m greedy.
You must be if you think that the current minimum wage is in any way acceptable against the cost of living.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:27 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Corbyn has been around for a long time in politics, voting against nearly every proposal brought to the house, even from Labour.

HAHA! Source on this, "against nearly every proposal brought to the house"?

I think you might be exaggerating in the extreme there, fella.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:29 pm

fidelcastro wrote:You must be if you think that the current minimum wage is in any way acceptable against the cost of living.
Pretty shite accusation this without knowing a single thing about his business.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:33 pm

taio wrote:Pretty shite accusation this without knowing a single thing about his business.
Not really.

It was him that stated that the minimum wage in East Lancashire is too high!

Think about that for a moment.

:shock:

CardyTheClaret

Post by CardyTheClaret » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:34 pm

fidelcastro wrote:You must be if you think that the current minimum wage is in any way acceptable against the cost of living.
In Burnley or London? let’s rest your theory that it’s irrelevant.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:34 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:IF you really wanted Brexit with a deal, then you and all the tossers in Parliament should have been behind May, and behind Boris, giving them the support they deserved.
Instead they got no support, they weren't even given a free hand, they've been hindered by the House every step of the way for 3.5 years.
You say you want what was promised, and just like the arseholes in Parliament, you're a liar. You dont want a deal, you want a no deal, so they can use it as an excuse to overturn the referendum.
Boris doesn't want Brexit with a deal. He wasn't a no-deal brexit so much that he's even willing ti illegally suspend parliament and illegally refuse to carry out the will of parliament to make sure it happened, so no thanks. I won't be supporting him.

"Instead they got no support" :lol: **** off, mate. When the other parties offered to participate in Brexit Theresa May told them to **** off. The Tories didn't want their support. That's the fault of the Tories.

And now you're saying that my 3+ year opposition to a no deal Brexit is evidence that I want a no deal Brexit. :lol: You're ******* delusional. Get help.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:36 pm

CardyTheClaret wrote:In Burnley or London? let’s rest your theory that it’s irrelevant.
Either.

£8.21 per hour for someone over 25 is not acceptable in 21st century Britain.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

taio

Post by taio » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:41 pm

fidelcastro wrote:Not really.

It was him that stated that the minimum wage in East Lancashire is too high!

Think about that for a moment.

:shock:
There's nothing to think about given I know nothing about his business and the impact paying the national minimum wage has on his business. I know of businesses that don't find it easy paying the minimum wage but not because they are motivated by greed.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:46 pm

taio wrote:There's nothing to think about given I know nothing about his business and the impact paying the national minimum wage has on his business. I know of businesses that don't find it easy paying the minimum wage but not because they are motivated by greed.
You've obviously not read through this thread.

Cardy stated, quite clearly, further up the thread, that he had employees earning £100,000+

Yet despite this, he claims the minimum wage is too high in East Lancashire!

Do me a favour! :roll: