ARTICLE: All lit up in Folkestone

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

ARTICLE: All lit up in Folkestone

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:16 am

The latest news from Burnley and the Clarets sixty years ago as we played an exhibition match at Folkestone under their new floodlights

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/all-lit-up-in-folkestone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: Suratclaret

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1049 times

Re: ARTICLE: All lit up in Folkestone

Post by CleggHall » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:09 pm

A very strong side for a friendly at Folkestone, only Adamson and Mac missing.
Water shortage would make life difficult too.
Those really were the olden days! :D

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:17 pm

No international breaks in those days plus playing exhibition matches as well! How did the players (and managers) cope? There wouldn't be that many international matches then...presumably the home internationals being the main ones.
Mention of the fine imposed by Mr Thornber...not that many years later another Magistrate when fining somebody used to say "we are going to find you £x". One defendant said he was very grateful and when would he get the money!

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7178 times

Post by Quicknick » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:28 pm

The article gave me a player to google: Billy White. Played a few league games that season, so he must have been good.
Last edited by Quicknick on Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:29 pm

Amazing that we were playing this game with a full strength team and also allowing Jimmy Mac to play in some benefit match elsewhere at the same time.

You were entitled back then to call a game off for two internationals missing but often clubs didn't and just played the games.

HB Claret
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by HB Claret » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:38 pm

Ha ha - just a few years too young to have been at this game but I do remember the friendly where the game had to be abandoned because of floodlight failure !!

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:38 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Amazing that we were playing this game with a full strength team and also allowing Jimmy Mac to play in some benefit match elsewhere at the same time.

You were entitled back then to call a game off for two internationals missing but often clubs didn't and just played the games.
Regularly the case in the early 60's if my memory still serves me well. The first home internationals of.the season were always played in October and Mc and Alex Elder were regular starters for NI but.I can't recall a game of ours ever postponed due to international call-ups.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:43 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:Regularly the case in the early 60's if my memory still serves me well. The first home internationals of.the season were always played in October and Mc and Alex Elder were regular starters for NI but.I can't recall a game of ours ever postponed due to international call-ups.
Was the rationale that the clubs wanted the takings from a Saturday 3pm game rather than probably having a lower crowd for a rearranged midweek game?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:54 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:Regularly the case in the early 60's if my memory still serves me well. The first home internationals of.the season were always played in October and Mc and Alex Elder were regular starters for NI but.I can't recall a game of ours ever postponed due to international call-ups.
In 1961/62 we had two successive weeks with two players missing. We opted to play without Connelly & Pointer on England duty and lost (against West Ham I think) but called off the home game against Blackburn when McIlroy & Elder were unavailable. We lost that game too later in the season.

I've just looked at that seasons' results. We didn't play on 7th October but lost at West Ham on 14th.

http://www.uptheclarets.com/fixtures-re ... 62-results" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:53 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:Was the rationale that the clubs wanted the takings from a Saturday 3pm game rather than probably having a lower crowd for a rearranged midweek game?
The game was so different back then. Mc was so important to us but I think the general feeling then was that it was just one game so it was acceptable. As a young fan I was always disappointed if key players were missing but it didn't create the type of furore you would expect today.
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:09 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:The game was so different back then. Mc was so important to us but I think the general feeling then was that it was just one game so it was acceptable. As a young fan I was always disappointed if key players were missing but it didn't create the type of furore you would expect today.
You are very right that the game was so different but Burnley wouldn't have wanted to play without Jimmy Mac if at all possible. He did miss 10 games that season as it was although we did win five and draw three of them.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:29 pm

Just remembering that once Mc was off to Stoke in early 63 it wouldn't have been long before Sammy Todd was in the first team and playing for NI as well. So the NI connection continued to affect us though with all due respect to Sammy Todd not to the same degree as when Mc was missing.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:05 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:Just remembering that once Mc was off to Stoke in early 63 it wouldn't have been long before Sammy Todd was in the first team and playing for NI as well. So the NI connection continued to affect us though with all due respect to Sammy Todd not to the same degree as when Mc was missing.
Willie Irvine and then Sammy Todd got into the NI team after Jimmy Mac went to Stoke. I always rated Todd but I was once told he wasn't always the most ambitious of players.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1280 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:14 pm

There was one NI game against Wales in the first week of April'63 when their team included Alex Elder, Willie Irvine and Jimmy Mac.

However Mac had signed for Stoke some four weeks before this game and incredibly Irvine still had to wait another six weeks before making his first-team debut at Burnley.

Foreverly Claret
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 160 times

Post by Foreverly Claret » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:22 pm

Bloody hell...EDWARD SHARP THORNBER...he used to put the shits up me.I used to go to Salem Congregational Church and he was a deacon or something but talk about strict .He had a real nasty streak..I remember once that some of the older lads were messing about a bit in a Sunday School Class and he gave one of them an almighty great slap across the face...I'll never forget it..the lad was called Duncan Fraser and he lived on Pasture Gate.These days " Ted " would have got a prison sentence himself for that...or a battering.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:50 pm

Foreverly Claret wrote:Bloody hell...EDWARD SHARP THORNBER...he used to put the shits up me.I used to go to Salem Congregational Church and he was a deacon or something but talk about strict .He had a real nasty streak..I remember once that some of the older lads were messing about a bit in a Sunday School Class and he gave one of them an almighty great slap across the face...I'll never forget it..the lad was called Duncan Fraser and he lived on Pasture Gate.These days " Ted " would have got a prison sentence himself for that...or a battering.
Different world then wasn't it? They were the days when kids stood on a full bus for the elderly and always said please and thank you.