Funeral cover plans....

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Funeral cover plans....

Post by Bosscat » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:47 pm

Has anyone on here ever discussed Funeral Plans with their friends (such as in the current crop of adverts on TV.....) like the one where they are walking the dogs....

https://youtu.be/VHKCzZBmJS0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know they say its good to talk but I have never had the inclination to discuss my own funeral costs :lol: with others
This user liked this post: IanMcL

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Re: Funeral cover plans....

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:33 pm

If everyone was talking about it there wouldn’t be adverts about it.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:46 pm

If it is a plan to pay for your funeral then I would say it is worth considering. A typical funeral costs around £4,000 although it could be less or more.

My Mum bought such a scheme called 'Golden Charter' through her local funeral directors. It saved an awful lot of issues, including financial, for her relatives (me in fact!) when the day came. When someone dies there's a lot to deal with and this eases the load.

The only problem is deciding on the type of funeral if there's still a long way to go (hopefully).

Other things worth considering are a will, obviously, and who is going to be the Executor, and 'Power of Attorney, both for your finances and for your health.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:47 pm

My Wife and I have discussed this ripoff and as neither of us are remotely religious have decided that we will both go for a simple cremation. You do not need undertakers or coffins or to hold any type of service. You simply arrange with your local Crematorium for a suitable slot and off you pop, 10 minutes on gas mark 5 and job done. Taking the ashes is optional.
These 3 users liked this post: basil6345789 Rick_Muller fatboy47

rayzer
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by rayzer » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:52 pm

I did a funeral plan for my late mother. It was one of the best things I've ever done. Firstly, she got to choose all the arrangements and secondly when the day came it took just one phone call and everything was sorted by the funeral directors( Alderson and Horan). I don't think I would have managed otherwise.

rayzer
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by rayzer » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:53 pm

I did a funeral plan for my late mother. It was one of the best things I've ever done. Firstly, she got to choose all the arrangements and secondly when the day came it took just one phone call and everything was sorted by the funeral directors( Alderson and Horan). I don't think I would have managed otherwise.

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:30 pm

NHS can scrape me dry (if they can find anything worth having) then off to the pyre for me.

I'll be going out like a viking!

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:35 pm

I wasn't saying they arent a good idea its just the adverts idea people of a certain age just seem to talk about their own demise and how to pay for it :D .

I usually find people of a certain age seem to endlessly discuss bodily functions and their frequency / consistency / colour etc
:roll: :roll: :roll:

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:48 pm

...I prefer over 300's travel insurance adverts.

"fivety-billion pounds medical cover and its norr'as dear as you think! oooh he'll have no excuse to not go on that cruise now!"

Lol
These 2 users liked this post: basil6345789 Bosscat

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:50 pm

I worked in the funeral industry for a while and if you want a “full on” funeral then they are a good thing to plan.

It’s basically a funeral home getting prepayment for your funeral the way you want it and guaranteeing that they will be doing your funeral. It costs the same as the funeral would cost you if you passed away today and avoids any extra costs of funeral costs go up in future as you've already agreed/paid for what you would like to happen.

As someone mentioned above though, you could just go to your local crem and arrange your own cremation through them and have no actual need for the traditional things. I guess it works for some people who don’t want to burden their family with paying for their funeral costs and for others it’s all a con.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:37 am

It's fear based marketing that targets people at their most vulnerable. At this time most are fearful of not doing it right...seeming to be penny pinching..or hard up.

It's a little bit of obligatory theatre.....but a bit of a racket too.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:54 am

I'm not sure it is as easy as just taking the body to the local crem..

First you have to collect the body from the place of death, or where the body has been stored. In my brother's case that was a hospital and they demand some sort of dignity. You can't for example just bung a box on your roof rack. There is paper work to be done too. And toxicity. I'm not sure what the rules are for a cremation, or burial, concerning things like pacemakers, artificial joints, even mercury fillings. Are you going to extract these?

There's no doubt cheaper ways then the traditional funeral - cardboard coffins, you carry out the transport, some crems cost less then others, and I would guess many of us couldn't care less how we are disposed of - I don't.

Here's another type of provider. I'm sure there are others.

https://www.purecremation.co.uk/funeral-plans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

moaninclaret
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by moaninclaret » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:35 pm

i dont think they are a good idea, just put a few quid away each week, they wouldn't offer these services if they weren't making a lot of money out of it, if you have enough money, i would find the cheapest funeral and pay up up front as long as its a fixed price.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:15 pm

I would have to borrow a fan, if I had to transport the coffin to the crem!

When Mrs McL died, I did have a funeral director for the sorting. However, I did the service with my daughter.

It was not easy but it was what she wanted. I got her ashes and dug a hole in the back garden and poured them in. She wanted to be with the cat.

I have done my mum and dad's service and the eulogy for a friend.

Who is going to do mine? :o

Billyblah
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Billyblah » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:08 pm

There was a time when Funeral Plans were not covered by what is currently known as the Financial Conduct Authority. I'm not sure whether things have changed. Hopefully there is now greater financial regulation.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:18 pm

Funeral Ads that pop up on tv with people cheerily discussing impending Death over a cup of tea and a rich tea biscuit.get right on my T!ts........Ok
This user liked this post: fatboy47