Your Best Ever Pre-Match Meal?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5162 times

Your Best Ever Pre-Match Meal?

Post by Rowls » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:27 pm

A pre-match meal is an essential part of any football day and the experience is often incomplete without.

Whether it's a greasy fry-up in the morning to kill that living-dead hangover drumming in your stomach, pie and peas down the local boozer, fish and chips in the caff or even a stop off at some hidden gem of a pub on the way to an away game.

They set you up for the game and provide us with an opportunity to salivate over the prospect of Steve Harper/Glen Little/Dwight McNeill, chew over the tactics of Jimmy Mullen/Owen Coyle/Sean Dyche and digest the fact that -unbelieavbly- Steve Davis/Graham Branch/James Tarkowski is playing at centre back.

But what has been your most memorable pre-match meal?

Mine goes to a chip shop/restaurant somewhere about 20 miles outside of Scunthorpe.

My Dad, my brother and myself were driving up (it *may* have been promotion day 1999 but I can't be sure) and we stopped off at a pub recommended by the CAMRA Real Ale guide.

With callous disregard, the previous landlord had departed the pub some months ago and instead of an "inviting range of up to 7 real ales, changing on a weekly basis" we were presented with a choice of Carling, John Smiths Smoothflow or the pungent mix of **** and vinegar which the grumpy waddler behind the bar joylessly squirted out of the single real ale tap.

We left quickly with bad portents gurgling in our bellies.

But just as we left the village there was a corrugated tin shack cafe on the side of the road promising us fish and chips.

We took a chance on it. Mainly because it just couldn't be any worse than the pub.

And oh, what a delight it was!

Even before we entered we sensed from the heady aromas of hot oils and frying that this could be a good decision.

Inside we were not dispapointed: Crispy but lightly battered generous portions haddock filled out plates. It was perfectly steamed on the inside, plump and fresh with a subtlety that only comes with the best fish. The chips which were cooked perfectly - crunchy on the outside, fluffy and smooth on the inside but with a moisture that constantly re-wetted mouth. That delightly ever-so-gorgeous-but-a-little-bit-filthy taste of the dripping in which they were cooked that made you hungrily bolt chip after chip without ever feeling fuller.

And peas had all the fullness of flavour that you normally only get from home-cooked peas. None of those glowing radioactive tinned types to be seen here folks. Just big fat mushy peas in a consistency that complimented the fried foods so perfectly that you felt compelled to ensure that each mouthful of fish and chips was accompanied by their light-green counterparts.

By the time we left we were all full to the brim and the rotten pints had -nearly- been pushed out of memory.

It was a joyous experience. Integral to the day out.

But what's your preferred or best ever pre-match meal?

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2072 times

Re: Your Best Ever Pre-Match Meal?

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:35 pm

Nothing you can eat before 3pm comes close to a full English brekky.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18215 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:41 pm

Home games its always the same for me .... Bacon (smoked) nice and crispy ... 2 fried eggs yolks nice and runny ... in 2 lightly toasted Bagels (or Baps if we don't have Bagels in) with plenty of Pepper on the eggs and brown sauce under the bacon.... yummmmmmy

Away games its usually a packed lunch and tea either provided by myself or my Brother. He supplied the one on Saturday...
A Warburtons thin for lunch containing Corned beef with smoked cheese and pickle. Tomatos and red and yellow pepper slices on the side. :)

Spicy Pasta Salad with Beetroot, tomatoes and peppers. With 2 quarters of Pork pie 2 quarters of a scotch egg and a mini quiche quartered for tea.... :)

Very nice it was too :D
This user liked this post: Rowls

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:41 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Nothing you can eat before 3pm comes close to a full English brekky.
Best ever full English was in a cafe on Woodhead pass during a Winter storm.

We sat almost on top of the single electric heater whilst the sludgy sleet slewed away outside.

There was an electric bar of instant death (if I'd touched it) keeping me warm on one side and heavenly full English in front of me.

Thankfully lived to tell the tale. It's food like that which makes life worth living. :)

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:48 pm

Fish, chips, curry sauce in a restaurant at the Penrith FA Cup game, 1984.

A good day all round methinks!

ChrisG
Been Liked: 331 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by ChrisG » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:56 pm

First season we were in the PL, the place in the Mechanics did a belting deal of full English and a pint for a fiver. Was cracking food too.

gsyclaret
Been Liked: 163 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by gsyclaret » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:56 pm

Went to Old Trafford in the late 60s, found a little cafe , has steak pie and chips, and jam roly poly and custard, cost half a crown, was delicious.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3788 times
Has Liked: 12479 times

Post by Leisure » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:58 pm

Large English breakfast at a Wetherspoons prior to every away game. Great value at £4.99!

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:00 pm

Rowls wrote:A pre-match meal is an essential part of any football day and the experience is often incomplete without.

Whether it's a greasy fry-up in the morning to kill that living-dead hangover drumming in your stomach, pie and peas down the local boozer, fish and chips in the caff or even a stop off at some hidden gem of a pub on the way to an away game.

They set you up for the game and provide us with an opportunity to salivate over the prospect of Steve Harper/Glen Little/Dwight McNeill, chew over the tactics of Jimmy Mullen/Owen Coyle/Sean Dyche and digest the fact that -unbelieavbly- Steve Davis/Graham Branch/James Tarkowski is playing at centre back.

But what has been your most memorable pre-match meal?

Mine goes to a chip shop/restaurant somewhere about 20 miles outside of Scunthorpe.

My Dad, my brother and myself were driving up (it *may* have been promotion day 1999 but I can't be sure) and we stopped off at a pub recommended by the CAMRA Real Ale guide.

With callous disregard, the previous landlord had departed the pub some months ago and instead of an "inviting range of up to 7 real ales, changing on a weekly basis" we were presented with a choice of Carling, John Smiths Smoothflow or the pungent mix of **** and vinegar which the grumpy waddler behind the bar joylessly squirted out of the single real ale tap.

We left quickly with bad portents gurgling in our bellies.

But just as we left the village there was a corrugated tin shack cafe on the side of the road promising us fish and chips.

We took a chance on it. Mainly because it just couldn't be any worse than the pub.

And oh, what a delight it was!

Even before we entered we sensed from the heady aromas of hot oils and frying that this could be a good decision.

Inside we were not dispapointed: Crispy but lightly battered generous portions haddock filled out plates. It was perfectly steamed on the inside, plump and fresh with a subtlety that only comes with the best fish. The chips which were cooked perfectly - crunchy on the outside, fluffy and smooth on the inside but with a moisture that constantly re-wetted mouth. That delightly ever-so-gorgeous-but-a-little-bit-filthy taste of the dripping in which they were cooked that made you hungrily bolt chip after chip without ever feeling fuller.

And peas had all the fullness of flavour that you normally only get from home-cooked peas. None of those glowing radioactive tinned types to be seen here folks. Just big fat mushy peas in a consistency that complimented the fried foods so perfectly that you felt compelled to ensure that each mouthful of fish and chips was accompanied by their light-green counterparts.

By the time we left we were all full to the brim and the rotten pints had -nearly- been pushed out of memory.

It was a joyous experience. Integral to the day out.

But what's your preferred or best ever pre-match meal?
I see that it's obviously a quiet day behind the bar! :D

Scott Arfield's Swag
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by Scott Arfield's Swag » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:00 pm

I'm chief pub stop organiser for our small group going to away games, using a highly secret set of filters to determine destinations. Picking a favourite/best is very difficult but Saturdays trip to Mad o'Rourkes Pie Factory is always high quality
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:02 pm

Leisure wrote:I see that it's obviously a quiet day behind the bar! :D
Day off today!

Bob Lord knows I work enough! :D

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1143 times

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:10 pm

Saturday 3 o’clock kick offs are 10 am here in Orlando. Early morning walk followed by full English including Black pudding ( can only get Irish but v good) all devoured in good time for the kick off. Watch the game on 75 inch high def. Will never be as good as being ont turf but it’s a very close second.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:33 pm

FCBurnley wrote:Saturday 3 o’clock kick offs are 10 am here in Orlando. Early morning walk followed by full English including Black pudding ( can only get Irish but v good) all devoured in good time for the kick off. Watch the game on 75 inch high def. Will never be as good as being ont turf but it’s a very close second.
that's not a full English FC...it's an half Irish! ;)

Bon-appetit!

:D
This user liked this post: Marty Dobson

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:40 pm

Curry sauce on fish and chips. Gip

Quite fond of a tofu and cous cous salad.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1992 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:41 pm

A gang of us went to Wembley for England games in the 80s. Always stopped for lunch at a truck stop just off M6 J13. Proper plateful of working mans nosh and free brew top ups.
Just been on google maps and it’s gone.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:42 pm

In 1998 I was invited to the Stade de France in Paris for the France v Italy game (semi final?). My pre match meal was a five course affair consisting of:

Hors d'oeuvres was. Foie gras
Fish course was. Coquilles St.Jacques
Main course was, Maigret de Canard (duck's breast)
Cheese course, Assiette de fromages francais
Dessert was. Tarte tatin avec une creme anglaise

All this was accompanied be a choice of wines including - Pouille fuisse, Pomerol, Brouillly.

Finished off with coffees and Armagnac.

A truly fabulous meal, the match was rubbish though, nil apiece then pens.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:45 pm

I prefer Irish or Scottish black pud. Yes I know this is downright heresy and I risk punishment in the afterlife, but they are usually much spicier than our Lancashire versions.

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:53 pm

Bosscat wrote:Home games its always the same for me .... Bacon (smoked) nice and crispy ... 2 fried eggs yolks nice and runny ... in 2 lightly toasted Bagels (or Baps if we don't have Bagels in) with plenty of Pepper on the eggs and brown sauce under the bacon.... yummmmmmy

Away games its usually a packed lunch and tea either provided by myself or my Brother. He supplied the one on Saturday...
A Warburtons thin for lunch containing Corned beef with smoked cheese and pickle. Tomatos and red and yellow pepper slices on the side. :)

Spicy Pasta Salad with Beetroot, tomatoes and peppers. With 2 quarters of Pork pie 2 quarters of a scotch egg and a mini quiche quartered for tea.... :)

Very nice it was too :D

For a game 2 hours away? What the hell you take to Brighton? Excess baggage as well as your coolbox?

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5074 times
Has Liked: 6850 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:08 pm

Theres something about a pint and a Wetherspoons breakfast or burger that I really like.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:08 pm

When I was a kid we used to go to the Woodman Inn for lunch before home games. This was back in the early 1990s. It was a thriving pub back then and one that had a good reputation for decent 'home cooked' food. I wouldn't say these are my best ever pre-match meals, but it's a time that I remember with great fondness. My mum and dad would meet their mates. I would meet up with couple of mates from school who were there with their parents for a pre-match lunch. BTW: Good thread topic.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:14 pm

Vino blanco wrote:In 1998 I was invited to the Stade de France in Paris for the France v Italy game (semi final?). My pre match meal was a five course affair consisting of:

All this was accompanied be a choice of wines including - Pouille fuisse, Pomerol, Brouillly.

Finished off with coffees and Armagnac..
Yeah we have that quite often at Wetherspoons. It costs about £5.50!

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:15 pm

Local cricketer wrote:For a game 2 hours away? What the hell you take to Brighton? Excess baggage as well as your coolbox?
Take Saturday and the Villa match......

Set off from home 9.30am get to Colne 10am get onto Coach... leave Colne 10.25am ... 2.25pm arrive at Villa Park.

Return to Colne ... arrive 8.35pm get off Coach ... meet wife in car park and arrive home 9.15pm.

Why don't you stick to Cricket :D as you know nowt about travelling to away games :D

Not done Brighton yet ... Will do that one from Southampton as our Sister lives down there.... make a weekend of it ...

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:31 pm

Meaty Klobasa and two pints by 10am on a sunday morning at Zizkov :)
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Rowls

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:32 pm

ZizkovClaret wrote:Image

Meaty Klobasa and two pints by 10am on a sunday morning at Zizkov :)
Now that looks good m8 :D had a couple of those if memory serves when we were doin the xmas market 3 years ago tasty tasty very very tasty

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:46 pm

Pints with breakfast is just wrong

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:48 pm

Blackrod wrote:Pints with breakfast is just wrong
Hey, when its a 10:15 ko its either pints with breakfast or go straight from the pub from the night before

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:08 pm

Vino blanco wrote:In 1998 I was invited to the Stade de France in Paris for the France v Italy game (semi final?). My pre match meal was a five course affair consisting of:

Finished off with coffees and Armagnac.

A truly fabulous meal, the match was rubbish though, nil apiece then pens.
Very nice. Very nice indeed.

Except for the "creme anglaise" which they always manage to muck up by making it far too sloppy instead of opening a good ol' tin of Ambrosia custard.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:11 pm

Oh I just remembered I got a steak in a baguette when we played that Swiss team pre-season (2015?)

He even asked how well I wanted it cooking!

That was the best I've ever had inside a ground. The players didn't seem happy that day - news was seeping through that Shackell was refusing to play and he'd be on his way to Derby in a few days time.

Turned out alright for us Clarets later on. We all knew Shackell had played his last for us so nobody would have guessed he'd actually score a few goals in our favour later that season :D
This user liked this post: ZizkovClaret

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:13 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:I prefer Irish or Scottish black pud. Yes I know this is downright heresy and I risk punishment in the afterlife, but they are usually much spicier than our Lancashire versions.
Each to their own but the Burnley black pudding should be a protected foodstuff.

Plenty of London restaurants are charging through the anus for it and we can pick it up for pence on Burnley market.

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:15 pm

Blackrod wrote:Pints with breakfast is just wrong

I have a pint at 8am every morning, sets me up for the day

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:16 pm

If you like Black Pudding you'd love this! The pig starts the day still honking but ends the day with every bit of it aside from spinal cord cooked

https://www.radio.cz/en/section/panoram ... he-country!

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:18 pm

ZizkovClaret wrote:If you like Black Pudding you'd love this! The pig starts the day still honking but ends the day with every bit of it aside from spinal cord cooked

https://www.radio.cz/en/section/panoram ... he-country!
I DO like that Zizkov.

One day I'd like to own and process a pair of porkers.

I've just polished off a slice of "Fromage de tete" which is a kind of French pate made up of tongue, cheek and brain etc, set in gelatine. Absolutely delicious. Went lovely with a potato salad but would've been just as good with a baguette.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:26 pm

Rowls wrote:I've just polished off a slice of "Fromage de tete" which is a kind of French pate made up of tongue, cheek and brain etc, set in gelatine. Absolutely delicious. Went lovely with a potato salad but would've been just as good with a baguette.
Your Czech article actually mentioned "head cheese" as a pork product.

NB: Grow up, all those who are giggling.
These 2 users liked this post: ZizkovClaret bobinho

ŽižkovClaret

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:29 pm

Rowls wrote:Your Czech article actually mentioned "head cheese" as a pork product.

Id rather eat head cheese than Olomouc Cheese! Pongs like a tramp in a heatwave

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:31 pm

Head cheese is delicious.

icu81b4
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by icu81b4 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:32 pm

Man City corporate hospitality takes some beating.

Cajun
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Cajun » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:44 pm

Back in the mid to late '70s I frequently hitchhiked up the M6 for home games, and often got dropped at the Tickled Trout exit from where I could get a bus on to Burnley. Just outside the bus station there was a cafe called The Alamo where I used to just love the meat and potato pie with mushy peas - absolutely perfect, would thaw me out and fill me up, and if travel had gone well I could then stroll on to the Swan for about noon in time for Football Focus and a few beers with my mates before heading to the Turf. Happy days.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4098 times
Has Liked: 6573 times

Post by bobinho » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:53 pm

Rowls wrote:Your Czech article actually mentioned "head cheese" as a pork product.

Still giggling now... :lol:

In answer to the OP, the lasagne at Belissimo in Burnley CANNOT be beaten. Not even in Italy. The guy who owns it is Sicilian, and proper knows his flavours.

The penne amatriciana is tasty too, as are most things in there.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:54 pm

Rowls wrote:Head cheese is delicious.
Wonder how many are googling "Head Cheese" :lol:

More Brawn less Brain ;)

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:00 pm

weetabix and 2 toast and a brew.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:02 pm

Cajun wrote:Back in the mid to late '70s I frequently hitchhiked up the M6 for home games, and often got dropped at the Tickled Trout exit from where I could get a bus on to Burnley. Just outside the bus station there was a cafe called The Alamo where I used to just love the meat and potato pie with mushy peas - absolutely perfect, would thaw me out and fill me up, and if travel had gone well I could then stroll on to the Swan for about noon in time for Football Focus and a few beers with my mates before heading to the Turf. Happy days.
Used to go in the Alamo post match P!ssed .....11pm when the pubs shut steak n chips plus they served Alcohol :D stayed at tickled trout twice.nice place.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:19 pm

6 pints of Tetley and Barley Wine mixers.

And a packet of pork scratchings, obviously.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:05 am

Rowls wrote:Head cheese is delicious.
:shock:
Out of context but Rowls will be forever known for this quote. :lol:
This user liked this post: ZizkovClaret

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:51 am

Not sure why but our crew always have to have a steak dinner on match day before an International game , kind of sets you up for the day . Anyway in all the places we have been Cardiff comes out tops now off hand I can't remember the name of the place but it's a double barrelled name like Carter and Jones in one of the lanes in the centre of the city .

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 835 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:04 am

Random fact : you get very good head cheese in Kentucky.

Which made me think from growing up in Lancashire...what is Haslet?

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:09 am

Billy Balfour wrote:I prefer Irish or Scottish black pud. Yes I know this is downright heresy and I risk punishment in the afterlife, but they are usually much spicier than our Lancashire versions.
Correct, I have even sampled Sneem black pudding from the Ring of Kerry (no joke folks) that seemed to have the faintest hint of iodine, a bit like Laphroig whisky. :x

Marney&Mee
Been Liked: 657 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Marney&Mee » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:17 am

Tribesmen wrote:Not sure why but our crew always have to have a steak dinner on match day before an International game , kind of sets you up for the day . Anyway in all the places we have been Cardiff comes out tops now off hand I can't remember the name of the place but it's a double barrelled name like Carter and Jones in one of the lanes in the centre of the city .
Miller & Carter?

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:44 am

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:Random fact : you get very good head cheese in Kentucky.

Which made me think from growing up in Lancashire...what is Haslet?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haslet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rayzer
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by rayzer » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:30 am

There's a Miller and Carter Steakhouse in Aberdeen. Top notch. Marney and Mee beat me to it

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32417 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:45 am

Scott Arfield's Swag wrote:I'm chief pub stop organiser for our small group going to away games, using a highly secret set of filters to determine destinations. Picking a favourite/best is very difficult but Saturdays trip to Mad o'Rourkes Pie Factory is always high quality
Nothing to say on this - our organiser has already posted as above. We've built up a decent portfolio of pubs now for away games (best one being in South Wales but no Cardiff or Swansea this season). We did make the mistake once of returning to a pub in Sowerby Bridge. We went for the 3-1 win at Huddesfield in 2015/16 and it was brilliant. We returned two seasons later, it had changed hands and it was dreadful.

I just leave it all up to Scott Arfield's Swag.