The Hundred - Cricket

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
# 1
karatekid
Posts: 1675
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:22 pm
Been Liked: 634 times
Has Liked: 185 times

The Hundred - Cricket

Postby karatekid » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:48 pm

New cricket competition next summer that will see some of the worlds top players playing 100 ball cricket. To be shown live on the BBC. The team selection process seems a little complex though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49716478

# 2
Leisure
Posts: 8389
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:47 pm
Been Liked: 1364 times
Has Liked: 4247 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby Leisure » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:51 pm

A gimmick. 100 balls as opposed to 20/20 which 120 balls. Don't really see the reasoning behind this new competition.

# 3
Quickenthetempo
Posts: 8815
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:35 am
Been Liked: 1940 times
Has Liked: 1122 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby Quickenthetempo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:58 pm

The Manchester franchise seem a bit hindered with only Lancashire being a catchment area, the only team to only have a single one.

Leeds have the massive County in Yorkshire and Durham.

# 4
Steve1956
Posts: 7362
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Been Liked: 2314 times
Has Liked: 1155 times
Location: Fife

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby Steve1956 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:59 pm

More fecking slogging! :(
This user liked this post: IanMcL

# 5
LeadBelly
Posts: 1984
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:07 am
Been Liked: 536 times
Has Liked: 1062 times
Location: North Hampshire

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby LeadBelly » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:59 pm

I suspect this was dreamt up by somebody who was being paid to dream up things- as opposed to popping up naturally from problems in the current formats. It's just not cricket

The 100 balls can be bowled in blocks of five or 10 by bowlers, who have the option of switching ends halfway through a 10-ball spell.
The maximum number of balls a bowler can deliver is 20, with each fielding team allowed a 150-second tactical timeout.

# 6
Foulthrow
Posts: 1793
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:48 am
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1151 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby Foulthrow » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:36 pm

A no from me. I support Lancashire not some mutant Manchester team.

# 7
TheFamilyCat
Posts: 5071
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:56 pm
Been Liked: 2673 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby TheFamilyCat » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:38 pm

Absolute nonsense. Completely unnecessary.
This user liked this post: Foulthrow

# 8
Bordeauxclaret
Posts: 5720
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:36 pm
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 954 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby Bordeauxclaret » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:42 pm

“And will the Manchester team, who play at Old Trafford where there is an end named after James Anderson, opt for the legendary England fast bowler or Jos Buttler?”

I thought that Manchester team had already announced Buttler was playing for them?

# 9
Quickenthetempo
Posts: 8815
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:35 am
Been Liked: 1940 times
Has Liked: 1122 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby Quickenthetempo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:58 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:“And will the Manchester team, who play at Old Trafford where there is an end named after James Anderson, opt for the legendary England fast bowler or Jos Buttler?”

I thought that Manchester team had already announced Buttler was playing for them?

Jimmy hasn't played in the short form for a while.

I think they are using England stars to sell tickets but not play.

# 10
Leisure
Posts: 8389
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:47 pm
Been Liked: 1364 times
Has Liked: 4247 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby Leisure » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:07 pm

LeadBelly wrote:
The 100 balls can be bowled in blocks of five or 10 by bowlers, who have the option of switching ends halfway through a 10-ball spell..


Sorry but that's absolute nonsense!

# 11
dandeclaret
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:55 am
Been Liked: 671 times
Has Liked: 63 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby dandeclaret » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:09 pm

Ridiculous idea....... support Lancashire not Manchester. Not from Manchester.

# 12
jdrobbo
Posts: 3677
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:01 pm
Been Liked: 2139 times
Has Liked: 543 times
Location: Leeds

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby jdrobbo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:32 pm

I’ll watch it BUT I’m not convinced it’s a good idea and I’m hugely disappointed by the following... see the coaches...


MANCHESTER ORIGINALS - Simon Katich
BIRMINGHAM PHOENIX - Andrew McDonald
LONDON SPIRIT - Shane Warne
WESTERN FIRE - Gary Kirsten
TRENT ROCKETS - Stephen Fleming (I think)
OVAL INVINCIBLES - Tom Moody
NORTHERN SUPERCHARGERS - Darren Lehmann
SOUTHERN BRAVE - Mahela Jayawardene


Yet I refer you to the following article....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegr ... trict/amp/

# 13
Clarets4me
Posts: 2716
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:31 pm
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 555 times
Location: Ightenhill,Burnley

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby Clarets4me » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:42 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:Absolute nonsense. Completely unnecessary.


Absolutely agree, only in England could you win the World Cup in one format, and the season after degrade that format's premier domestic competition, the Royal London Cup, to that of a " development " tournament .. it's a joke ..

If people don't want to go to 20/20 cricket, why will they want to watch this ?

If the Test grounds/Counties want to raise more money, then offer to host Pakistan's home tests until their domestic security situation improves ... imagine a five test series with India at Lords, Old Trafford, the Oval, Edgbaston and Headingley ... add in two warm up tests for each against Ireland , Afghanistan or Bangladesh and a mini 20/20 Tournament for all 5 adding in England .... :D

# 14
Cleveleys_claret
Posts: 2424
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:58 am
Been Liked: 636 times
Has Liked: 444 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby Cleveleys_claret » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:55 pm

Seems the ECB are doing exactly what they chastised Kevin Pieterson for doing when he wanted to go the IPL. Calling him greedy and only interested in making money

# 15
Bordeauxclaret
Posts: 5720
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:36 pm
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 954 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby Bordeauxclaret » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:59 pm

jdrobbo wrote:I’ll watch it BUT I’m not convinced it’s a good idea and I’m hugely disappointed by the following... see the coaches...


MANCHESTER ORIGINALS - Simon Katich
BIRMINGHAM PHOENIX - Andrew McDonald
LONDON SPIRIT - Shane Warne
WESTERN FIRE - Gary Kirsten
TRENT ROCKETS - Stephen Fleming (I think)
OVAL INVINCIBLES - Tom Moody
NORTHERN SUPERCHARGERS - Darren Lehmann
SOUTHERN BRAVE - Mahela Jayawardene


Yet I refer you to the following article....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegr ... trict/amp/


“Each franchise may only be permitted to employ one foreign coach for the tournament, which begins next summer, ensuring that the bulk of jobs go to coaches based in England. There are expected to be three or four coaches per team.”

# 16
jdrobbo
Posts: 3677
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:01 pm
Been Liked: 2139 times
Has Liked: 543 times
Location: Leeds

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby jdrobbo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:01 pm

Hmmmmmmm

# 17
Bordeauxclaret
Posts: 5720
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:36 pm
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 954 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby Bordeauxclaret » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:02 pm

Don’t want any of that foreign muck eh.

# 18
Foulthrow
Posts: 1793
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:48 am
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1151 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby Foulthrow » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:03 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Absolutely agree, only in England could you win the World Cup in one format, and the season after degrade that format's premier domestic competition, the Royal London Cup, to that of a " development " tournament .. it's a joke ..

If people don't want to go to 20/20 cricket, why will they want to watch this ?

If the Test grounds/Counties want to raise more money, then offer to host Pakistan's home tests until their domestic security situation improves ... imagine a five test series with India at Lords, Old Trafford, the Oval, Edgbaston and Headingley ... add in two warm up tests for each against Ireland , Afghanistan or Bangladesh and a mini 20/20 Tournament for all 5 adding in England .... :D


Thing is - folk are going to T20. Lancs had some unreal numbers this year in terms of attendance and this was mirrored across the country.

And, as you rightly point out, England win a 50 over World Cup for the first time but all of those lads, and those on the fringes, will only play 50 over cricket if they play internationally. Crazy.

# 19
DCWat
Posts: 4278
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:04 am
Been Liked: 1702 times
Has Liked: 1438 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby DCWat » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:06 pm

Sounds like a proper; high fives, foam fists and whoop whoops all around, job to me.

# 20
ClaretTony
Posts: 31380
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:07 pm
Been Liked: 14161 times
Has Liked: 2770 times
Location: Burnley
Contact:

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby ClaretTony » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:10 pm

I’ve been baffled by this ever since it was announced last year. We are attempting to follow the likes of the IPL & Big Bash but for the life of me I can’t understand why they didn’t stick to the current t20 format.

# 21
jrgbfc
Posts: 3102
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 pm
Been Liked: 791 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby jrgbfc » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:24 pm

It's not traditional cricket fans that this is being aimed at. The ECB are clearly hoping to attract people who wouldn't normally go to cricket. Without the backing of the hardcore fans think it will be a struggle to fill the stadiums.

# 22
Bin Ont Turf
Posts: 8600
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:38 am
Been Liked: 4055 times
Has Liked: 480 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby Bin Ont Turf » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:37 pm

Lancashire on their own, just as it should be. 8-)

Cricket on the BBC though, yes please.

# 23
TheFamilyCat
Posts: 5071
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:56 pm
Been Liked: 2673 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby TheFamilyCat » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:53 pm

jrgbfc wrote:It's not traditional cricket fans that this is being aimed at. The ECB are clearly hoping to attract people who wouldn't normally go to cricket. Without the backing of the hardcore fans think it will be a struggle to fill the stadiums.


Who are they hoping to attract that isn't already going to t20?

# 24
TVC15
Posts: 5673
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:09 pm
Been Liked: 2259 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby TVC15 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:10 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:Who are they hoping to attract that isn't already going to t20?


The ones with about 32 minutes less time on their hands
It’s a real niche market
This user liked this post: Foulthrow

# 25
jrgbfc
Posts: 3102
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 pm
Been Liked: 791 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby jrgbfc » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:15 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:Who are they hoping to attract that isn't already going to t20?


You'd have to ask the ECB that!

# 26
Stproc
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:55 pm
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 140 times
Location: Ribble Valley
Contact:

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby Stproc » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:34 pm

Couldn’t care less about this as I’ve no affinity with Manchester. England’s problems lie in batting for longer periods at the wicket and the ECB answer is even more slogging.

# 27
timshorts
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:52 pm
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 116 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby timshorts » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:05 pm

It's supposed to be aimed at "a different market than the existing cricket supporter" who will get excited by watching the world's best cricketers playing each other.

I'm clearly not the market they are after. If there was a new tournament for sloggit, I'd have gone for extra sides in a 32 team tournament with a schedule similar to US football. The extra teams would have been made by splitting some counties so that you could maintain existing rivalries but add, say, Liverpool v Manchester and Leeds v Bradford. West ham is an awful ground for football but would suit this.

I don't understand why people would want to go and watch artificial teams with a load of imports that don't relate to the area they represent. It's probably good for the betting companies and couch potatoes. Like creating a league load of mk dons.

# 28
Clarets4me
Posts: 2716
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:31 pm
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 555 times
Location: Ightenhill,Burnley

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby Clarets4me » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:20 am

timshorts wrote:It's supposed to be aimed at "a different market than the existing cricket supporter" who will get excited by watching the world's best cricketers playing each other.

I'm clearly not the market they are after. If there was a new tournament for sloggit, I'd have gone for extra sides in a 32 team tournament with a schedule similar to US football. The extra teams would have been made by splitting some counties so that you could maintain existing rivalries but add, say, Liverpool v Manchester and Leeds v Bradford. West ham is an awful ground for football but would suit this.

I don't understand why people would want to go and watch artificial teams with a load of imports that don't relate to the area they represent. It's probably good for the betting companies and couch potatoes. Like creating a league load of mk dons.


I understand that the India v Pakistan Group game at this year's World Cup had 400,000 applications for around 20,000 Tickets .... hence my suggestion for Pakistan hosting Home tests here, rather than before a couple of hundred fans in Sharja ....

# 29
Bordeauxclaret
Posts: 5720
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:36 pm
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 954 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby Bordeauxclaret » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:25 am

Clarets4me wrote:I understand that the India v Pakistan Group game at this year's World Cup had 400,000 applications for around 20,000 Tickets .... hence my suggestion for Pakistan hosting Home tests here, rather than before a couple of hundred fans in Sharja ....


You don’t see many more away fans when they play test matches in England.

# 30
Local cricketer
Posts: 650
Joined: Mon May 13, 2019 5:46 pm
Been Liked: 104 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby Local cricketer » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:17 pm

Bit surprised that The Originals have picked Mahmood over Livingstone.

Cant imagine that will have gone down well with the Cumbrian KP

# 31
Foulthrow
Posts: 1793
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:48 am
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1151 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby Foulthrow » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:02 pm

Local cricketer wrote:Bit surprised that The Originals have picked Mahmood over Livingstone.

Cant imagine that will have gone down well with the Cumbrian KP


Two questions...

1, Who are 'The Originals'?

2, Who is the 'Cumbrian KP?'?

TIA

# 32
jrgbfc
Posts: 3102
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 pm
Been Liked: 791 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby jrgbfc » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:43 pm

Foulthrow wrote:Two questions...

1, Who are 'The Originals'?

2, Who is the 'Cumbrian KP?'?

TIA


I'm guessing the Originals are the Manchester franchise and the Cumbrian KP is Liam Livingstone.
This user liked this post: Foulthrow

# 33
CBT
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:23 pm
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby CBT » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:57 am

ClaretTony wrote:I’ve been baffled by this ever since it was announced last year. We are attempting to follow the likes of the IPL & Big Bash but for the life of me I can’t understand why they didn’t stick to the current t20 format.


IPL Big Bash and Caribbean PL only have 8 teams in each
I think the thinking is there's not enough quality players or only having 8 teams can ensure lineups with more shall we say 'worldclass' or star names playing

# 34
fatboy47
Posts: 1696
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:58 am
Been Liked: 961 times
Has Liked: 836 times
Location: Isles of Scilly

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby fatboy47 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:57 am

Cricket for people who know nothing about cricket.

# 35
Working_Class_Zero
Posts: 195
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:47 am
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby Working_Class_Zero » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:07 pm


# 36
RogerBest
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:44 am
Been Liked: 73 times
Has Liked: 22 times

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby RogerBest » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:55 am

I have thought cricket has been particularly badly mismanaged ever since home tests were no longer on free-to-air television. I think the point of the ECB should be to encourage the participation and enjoyment of spectating cricket in England not to make money for the ECB.

Much as the Hundred format seems a bit gimmicky. At least it is going to be broadcast live on free TV and many of the best players in the world will be there.

I am pleased it is happening. It is better to have something rather than the complete absence of live cricket we have now.

# 37
Bangers&Mash
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:15 pm
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 7 times
Location: Leeds

Re: The Hundred - Cricket

Postby Bangers&Mash » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:14 am

Don't think the reaching out is to existing fans, and probably not even to fans turning up in the ground (although I'll wait to see how jam packed the teams are with superstars before I judge). The key to this tournament is it's on free to air tv and that's why something strange had to be dreamt up - any T20 would have gone straight to Sky. Let's just hope it's on an actual channel and not hidden away on a labyrinth on the red button and just maybe it could attract some new fans.

I'd still prefer a test match kind of thing any day. Would it ever be possible to create a franchise test style competitions? A month long, 8 team, straight knock out competition?


Return to “The Bee Hole End”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lesxdp, MSN [Bot] and 270 guests