Diane Abbott stands in for Corbyn on PMQ

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Re: Diane Abbott stands in for Corbyn on PMQ

Post by Corky » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:15 am

But that is Banksy depicting the whole House of Commons as Chimps, isn't it?

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:17 am

morpheus2 wrote:Artist depicts Diane Abbot as a chimpanzee and it is so popular to the public that it sells for near £10m - yet this is not decried as racist?? Even The Guardian lauds over it!
Surprisingly Owen Jones has not made a public statement yet (presuming he has recovered from his right wing assault)

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... RHA3RaWMPw
Presumably you've accidentally posted the wrong link? I see no reference to Abbott there.
The painting is somewhat disrespectful to chimps though.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6362 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:10 am

Sadly, that is the bias demonstrated by one or two against Diane Abbott. Banksy's picture is of the whole Parliament.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10237 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:27 am

morpheus2 wrote:Artist depicts Diane Abbot as a chimpanzee and it is so popular to the public that it sells for near £10m - yet this is not decried as racist?? Even The Guardian lauds over it!
Surprisingly Owen Jones has not made a public statement yet (presuming he has recovered from his right wing assault)

Desperate stuff, morph, desperate stuff. :oops:

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 436 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:18 am

Not even subtle that :|

smudge
Been Liked: 51 times
Has Liked: 140 times

Post by smudge » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:43 am

bobinho wrote:No. I’m not trashing every working class student at all. I’m saying Dianne Abbott is thicker than a dockers butty. Yes, she can probably add up the cost of the three items in her basket when shopping at Poundland, but by tea time she wouldn’t have a clue what she’d bought, or why. She WOULD however, understand what the items rights are under whatever pointless EU legislation she’s into this week.
Watched Dianne Abbott on the quiz program The Chase.She came across as likeable funny and intelligent.
With you're superior intelligence can't wait to see you on the program.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:56 am

You're coming in for some right grief Morpheus2. Take no notice.

I think you're a , genuinely , very open minded person.

I can feel the draught from here....

morpheus2
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 1850 times

Post by morpheus2 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:04 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Can you post the picture of Diane Abbott being depicted as a chimpanzee please?
Well, assuming in 2009 when the image was created Diane was a back bencher on the side of those in power, so I guess she is depicted by one of the Chimps behind the chimp stood up which would be representative of Gordon Brown if it is the Labour side of the house.
Diane Abbot was an MP.
Banksy’s picture represents MPs in parliament in 2009.
You might have to google images of 2009 parliament to find out which particular chimp represents Diane then you will know which one to highlight when you make your complaint to the race relations board whatever it’s called.
You will come in for some flack, I did....so don’t let the fascists grind you down!
I’m sorry I don’t have the time to do it myself, so I thank you and good luck.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:14 pm

bobinho wrote:No. I’m not trashing every working class student at all. I’m saying Dianne Abbott is thicker than a dockers butty. Yes, she can probably add up the cost of the three items in her basket when shopping at Poundland, but by tea time she wouldn’t have a clue what she’d bought, or why. She WOULD however, understand what the items rights are under whatever pointless EU legislation she’s into this week.

Hi bobinho, well out of order, if you don't mind me saying. Ms Abbott lives in London. No one who (a) has a degree from Cambridge Uni and (b) lives in London would know when "tea time" is - unless it's been booked at The Ritz. Down "sarff" we eat lunch at mid-day and dinner in the evening. And, it's "sarnies" not "butties."

And, these days "London Docklands" is full of office blocks and bankers - it's a long time since a docker would have had is butty there.
This user liked this post: bobinho

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:02 pm

morpheus2 wrote:Well, assuming in 2009 when the image was created Diane was a back bencher on the side of those in power, so I guess she is depicted by one of the Chimps behind the chimp stood up which would be representative of Gordon Brown if it is the Labour side of the house.
Diane Abbot was an MP.
Banksy’s picture represents MPs in parliament in 2009.
But there are lots of gaps on the backbenchers, so can you prove that Abbott or any other backbencher "of colour" was present in the house on that day?
Only Banksy would know I guess, but as all the MPs are depicted in the same way, irrespective of gender or race it would be impossible to make any claims of racism.
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

morpheus2

Post by morpheus2 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:24 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:But there are lots of gaps on the backbenchers, so can you prove that Abbott or any other backbencher "of colour" was present in the house on that day?
Only Banksy would know I guess, but as all the MPs are depicted in the same way, irrespective of gender or race it would be impossible to make any claims of racism.

Well it wouldn't be very inclusive if Diane Abbot and/or other coloured people were not depicted there, so either way it is bigoted.

morpheus2

Post by morpheus2 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:57 pm

nil_desperandum wrote: .... as all the MPs are depicted in the same way, irrespective of gender or race it would be impossible to make any claims of racism.
No it wouldn't...........it doesn't matter that white people are depicted as chimps there, that's fine and nobody is offended - but there will be some coloured people there who are depicted as chimps and one of them will probably be Diane...and that, as you know, is insensitive - it is racism.
Can't believe people are willing to just let this go, and some of you racists are even mocking me for pointing something out that should be obvious to all :?: :o

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:38 pm

morpheus2 wrote:No it wouldn't...........it doesn't matter that white people are depicted as chimps there, that's fine and nobody is offended - but there will be some coloured people there who are depicted as chimps and one of them will probably be Diane...and that, as you know, is insensitive - it is racism.
Can't believe people are willing to just let this go, and some of you racists are even mocking me for pointing something out that should be obvious to all :?: :o
I'm with you brother.

I can't believe these Liberal Nazis are trying to defend it, do they not know that we don't live in a free democratic society?

I say that we get our black gear and face masks on, and start throwing milkshakes at folk (but not at children).

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:11 am

Wow, morpheus just took virtue signalling to a whole new level. I wonder if he/she wakes up in the morning and scours social media and the like for something to be offended by.

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:52 am

Corky wrote:Wow, morpheus just took virtue signalling to a whole new level. I wonder if he/she wakes up in the morning and scours social media and the like for something to be offended by.
I’m pretty sure that a massive WHOOOOOSH is in order here

morpheus2

Post by morpheus2 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:28 am

nil_desperandum wrote:But there are lots of gaps on the backbenchers, so can you prove that Abbott or any other backbencher "of colour" was present in the house on that day?
Only Banksy would know I guess
Yes, it's possible but highly improbable that all of the 38 or so coloured MPs were coincidentally absent on that particular day, and each empty seat is representative of an absent coloured person.

But, I'm pretty sure that coloured MPs will have been present for every PMs QT since at least the early 80's so then you would have to ask Banksy why he has singled out the coloured MPs to be absent (bigotry)

Then you've got to ask Banksy - if Diane Abbot had been present on the day you created your depiction - how would you have portrayed her? Would she be a chimp or would she be human?

Would Banksy say Diane was a chimp?
How would you feel if Banksy said that Diane and all the other coloured MPs were chimps?

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:08 pm

morpheus2 wrote: How would you feel if Banksy said that Diane and all the other coloured MPs were chimps?
It would rather depend on whether Banksy said "ALL MPs are chimps", or whether he said "just the coloured ones", wouldn't it?

morpheus2

Post by morpheus2 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:32 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:It would rather depend on whether Banksy said "ALL MPs are chimps", or whether he said "just the coloured ones", wouldn't it?

I don't know.

okay
Fact - All MPs are chimps.
Fact - Diane Abbot is an MP.
Q - Is Diane Abbot a chimp?
A (a) Yes Diane Abbot is a chimp
or
A (b) No Diane Abbot is not a chimp.

Also change the title of the piece to "South African Parliament" and imagine that the artist depicted all the coloured MPs as chimps but coincidentally all the 34 white MPs had not been depicted because for the first time in the history all the 34 white MPs had been conveniently absent.
Would that be racist? Yes it would.
Therefore this piece is racist too.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:34 pm

Not sure about Banksey drawing but I can see someone on this thread has the brains of a chimp (and thats probably doing a disservice to chimps