David Pemsel - Premier League Chief Exec

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32540 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

David Pemsel - Premier League Chief Exec

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:14 pm

The Premier League have finally replaced Richard Scudamore as chief exec - the new man is David Pemsel who will start no later than April 2020

The Premier League is pleased to announce David Pemsel as its new Chief Executive. His candidacy was approved unanimously at a special meeting of Shareholders held today.

David is currently CEO of Guardian Media Group (GMG), where he has led the company’s transformation into a more digital, more international media brand and has overseen the organisation’s first operating profits in its news business for 20 years, delivering record revenues in 2019.

Bruce Buck, Chairman of Chelsea Football Club and Chairman of the Premier League Nominations Committee which conducted the recruitment process, said: "We are delighted to welcome David to the Premier League. His straightforward style and personal integrity make him an ideal person to lead the business.

"At the Guardian, he has shown strong leadership through a period of change and transformation. Returning the group to profit is an impressive achievement and has demonstrated that he can develop and execute a transformational plan in an ever-changing business landscape. In addition, he has worked with the big players in digital and media and has managed diverse groups and constituencies.

"We are looking forward to working with David and are sure he will be a great asset to the Premier League.

"At the same time, we would like to extend our huge appreciation to Richard Masters, who has captained the ship expertly this year as Interim Chief Executive. Richard and his team have done a great job and will continue to drive the League forward under David’s leadership."

Commenting on his appointment, David said: "I am thrilled to have been offered this incredible opportunity. The Premier League is the most-watched football league in the world and I am very excited to be a key part of that. As a football fan, I understand just how important the game is to supporters and our national identity and I am honoured to take the helm of such an influential and prestigious organisation.

"I have enjoyed my eight years at Guardian Media Group and want to thank everyone for their support and friendship, but now is the perfect time for me to take on the next challenge. I am really looking forward to meeting the team and working with them on the evolution of the Premier League."

Neil Berkett, Chair of Guardian Media Group, said: "In highly turbulent times in the global media sector, David has been an outstanding Chief Executive and tireless in his pursuit of the company’s goals. Under his leadership GMG has restored its finances to a sustainable position and become a much stronger, better business. Everyone at the Guardian wishes him well and we are sure he will continue to thrive in his new role."

David is a proven Chief Executive who led the strategic and commercial expansion of Guardian Media Group into an international business. He brings additional management experience from his earlier roles, which include: Group Marketing Director at ITV; Partner at boymeetsgirl, working with Channel 4, Disney and Discovery; Managing Director and Partner at Shine, the TV and film production company; and Managing Partner at St Luke’s Communications, where his clients included Sky and the BBC.

- David Pemsel will join the Premier League no later than April 2020.

- Richard Masters will continue as Interim Chief Executive until that time and will then revert to Managing Director.

- The search for a non-executive Chair will now commence.

- The Premier League Nominations Committee comprises: Chair, Bruce Buck (Chelsea FC); Susan Whelan (Leicester City FC); Mike Garlick (Burnley FC); Claudia Arney (Interim Chair of the Premier League and Non-Executive Director); and Kevin Beeston (Non-Executive Director).

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Re: David Pemsel - Premier League Chief Exec

Post by Suratclaret » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:38 am

Didn't they appoint a woman recently or am I mixing the job up with somewhere else?

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3162 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:30 am

Susan Dinnage went to a private dinner with the Chief Execs of the big six before she was to start her role - a few days later she said thanks but no thanks - make of it what you will

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:39 am

Does this mean games will be free on line with a request for donations at the end?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32540 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:46 am

Chester Perry wrote:Susan Dinnage went to a private dinner with the Chief Execs of the big six before she was to start her role - a few days later she said thanks but no thanks - make of it what you will
I didn't know it followed dinner with the top six clubs - but it was very strange that she accepted the job and then turned it down. It's an incredible that an organisation such as the Premier League has taken so long to replace its CEO.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3162 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:55 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I didn't know it followed dinner with the top six clubs - but it was very strange that she accepted the job and then turned it down. It's an incredible that an organisation such as the Premier League has taken so long to replace its CEO.
posted it here a while back http://uptheclarets.com/messageboard/vi ... &start=509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The big 6 meet every couple of months usually out of the country - New York is popular - that way they present a unified front at Premier League meetings (it is also why City did not want the Liverpool hacking story to break as it would disrupt the bigger picture) They act like a cartel and it is a very deliberate strategy