Ban Smacking

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Reb
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Re: Ban Smacking

Post by Reb » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:40 pm

Why should children be subjected to something that adults are protected by law from doing to other adults.
If children are too young to be reasoned with then what else can be inferred from a grown adult hitting a child.
The "it never did me any harm" brigade may be better off taking a look at their ridiculous point of view and then realising it did harm to their brain power.
Rowls - come and spend a day in my job at Childline listening to terrified young people taking about how scared they are of their parents, listen to hour after hour of horror stories of beatings and neglect - and then stick your pathetic ignorant views where they belong.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Reb wrote:Why should children be subjected to something that adults are protected by law from doing to other adults.
If children are too young to be reasoned with then what else can be inferred from a grown adult hitting a child.
The "it never did me any harm" brigade may be better off taking a look at their ridiculous point of view and then realising it did harm to their brain power.
Rowls - come and spend a day in my job at Childline listening to terrified young people taking about how scared they are of their parents, listen to hour after hour of horror stories of beatings and neglect - and then stick your pathetic ignorant views where they belong.
Oh Reb. Surely you are just demonstrating how liberal, nice and progressive you are. Rowls’ girlfriend has a Degree in Psychology. He knows what he’s talking about.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:58 pm

Reb wrote:Why should children be subjected to something that adults are protected by law from doing to other adults.
There is a problem with the logic of that first sentence. As an adult, I am protected, among other things, from being sent to my room, from being made to sit on the naughty step, from being sent to bed, from being grounded, from having my XBox taken off me, from being forced to eat my cabbage, from being told what time I am allowed to come home, and from being sent to school. So unless you are saying that it's wrong for a child to be subjected to these things ..

The other logic failure is that you see someone doing something illegal (beating their child to the point of terror) and conclude from that that smacking is wrong. It's obviously a valid belief that smacking may be wrong, but not for that reason. It's an overreaction; it doesn't logically follow. It could be compared to knife crime and the rules about carrying knives - it's illegal to attack someone with a knife, so it's often proposed that no-one should carry a knife - as if the people who break the law about slashing people, will obey the law about carrying.

Will the person mentioned earlier on the thread, who kicked his young relative in the head, be deterred because he knows that smacking is illegal? He wasn't deterred by knowing that kicking in the head is illegal.

Reb
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by Reb » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:25 pm

my sentence construction was slightly out - adults are protected by law from other people hitting them - are we saying that children shouldn't have that same protection.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:29 pm

Biggest shock of this whole thread is that Rowls has a girlfriend
This user liked this post: fatboy47

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:29 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Biggest shock of this whole thread is that Rowls has a girlfriend
He helped her get her Degree, too.

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:29 pm

Reb wrote:my sentence construction was slightly out - adults are protected by law from other people hitting them - are we saying that children shouldn't have that same protection.
He's just saying the law protects adults from lots of things that are considered entirely normal to do to a child. That it wouldn't make sense to apply the same laws to children that we do to adults - like making them sit on the naughty step or grounding (false imprisonment if done to an adult) or removing an Xbox (theft or robbery).

Wherever you stand on smacking, that is a valid point.

Edit. Actually, having thought about it, this really is an interesting point: do all laws that apply to adults also apply to children? Could an adult theoretically be charged with false imprisonment for making their child sit on the naughty step, or are there specific exemptions in law for the parent/child relationship?? I've actually no idea.

Edit II. Having had a look around the answer is 'It's complicated'. Sometimes to the point the law could be seen as contradictory in this area.
Last edited by If it be your will on Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:27 pm

Ban smoking and carry on smacking

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:30 pm

Ban smack!

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 773 times
Has Liked: 1427 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:37 pm

I was just saying the other day that what the world needs is more psychologists out there who had to get help/ cheat to get their jobs.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

holycustard
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by holycustard » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:44 pm

Does that include cattle prods. :shock:
It worked for me and as an added bonus everytime i get shouted at i do a perfect back flip. :(

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:29 am

https://metro.co.uk/video/father-arrest ... k-2014588/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sure some of you on here will be applauding this bloke.

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:35 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:https://metro.co.uk/video/father-arrest ... k-2014588/

Sure some of you on here will be applauding this bloke.
Who?

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:39 am

taio wrote:Who?
Read the thread.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:42 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:Read the thread.
I have and still can't see who, as you say, would applaud it. Which people on here do you think would?

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:45 am

taio wrote:I have and still can't see who, as you say, would applaud it. Which people on here do you think would?
The ones who think hitting a child which doesn't leave a mark is an appropriate punishment.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:47 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:The ones who think hitting a child which doesn't leave a mark is an appropriate punishment.
Still can't see who would applaud it. Who on this thread do you think would applaud the video you linked?

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:48 am

taio wrote:Still can't see who would applaud it. Who on this thread do you think would applaud the video you linked?
Will you feel happy if I name names for you taio?

taio

Post by taio » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:50 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:Will you feel happy if I name names for you taio?
I just don't know who you're referring to.

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:51 am

taio wrote:I just don't know who you're referring to.
Ok, maybe my post was hyperbolic. I bow down to you taio, I apologise profusely,.

Please forgive me.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:53 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:Ok, maybe my post was hyperbolic. I bow down to you taio, I apologise profusely,.

Please forgive me.
Yes it was. But fair play for recognising it.

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:55 am

taio wrote:Yes it was. But fair play for recognising it.
Thank you for forgiving me. I'm really sorry, I won't do it again.

Walton
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 242 times

Post by Walton » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:33 pm

Rowls wrote:A belated welcome to the bandwagon, Walton.

Although I don't have a masters in psychology I helped write a substantial amount of memoire of my girlfriend's masters in psychology and I'm more than knowledgable enough to post opinions on the subject.

Given that we're all posting our opinions I don't know who isn't "qualified" enough to post here. Maybe you can police all threads in this manner and tell us who is and isn't allowed to voice their opinions?

How to spot a bandwagon, continued:

8. Using humour to hide sheer nastiness
Your girlfriend might get on with my other half, who also read psychology and has since completed two MAs in different areas relating to child development, while working with deprived children.

We apply her knowledge when raising our children, and having been a father for a number of years now, I also feel 'more than knowledgable enough to post opinions on the subject'

I suppose once you've caught up with me on the practical side of things you might also come to my way of thinking.
These 2 users liked this post: tybfc Lord Beamish