ARTICLE: Late goal earns point at leaders Spurs

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

ARTICLE: Late goal earns point at leaders Spurs

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:51 am

Excellent result for us in 1959, even without the services of Jimmy Mac

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/late-goal-e ... ders-spurs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1282 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Re: ARTICLE: Late goal earns point at leaders Spurs

Post by Royboyclaret » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:18 am

A good point at Tottenham but we were still looking for that elusive to find consistency in both results and performance.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:19 am

Enjoying this thread, CT. Again I don't recall this fixture but some of the less familiar names in the Spurs team bring back memories. Tony Marchi, Mackay's replacement and Hollowbread in goal are two but I didn't realise David Dunmore was a Spurs player then. A couple of years later he caused us a few problems in an FA Cup tie against Leyton Orient,especially the replay at Brisbane Rd. That description of Brian Miller is exactly as I recall him,watching from the terraces as a young boy.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:43 am

Silkyskills1 wrote:Enjoying this thread, CT. Again I don't recall this fixture but some of the less familiar names in the Spurs team bring back memories. Tony Marchi, Mackay's replacement and Hollowbread in goal are two but I didn't realise David Dunmore was a Spurs player then. A couple of years later he caused us a few problems in an FA Cup tie against Leyton Orient,especially the replay at Brisbane Rd. That description of Brian Miller is exactly as I recall him,watching from the terraces as a young boy.
Without Blanchflower, Mackay & Brown but by the following season they had Henry & White in their regular side as well as Allen.

Dunmore was close to leaving - he signed for West Ham in late 1959 and moved to Leyton Orient in 1960.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:06 am

'...The spectator retired hurriedly as police ran to the scene...'

where was CCTV CT?

:D

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7195 times

Post by Quicknick » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:15 am

Thoroughly enjoying this series of reports. And crowd trouble at a stiffs match.
I wonder what the crowd was at the reserve game.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 537 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:22 am

Nice to see Burnley Preston and Blackburn in the top seven of the Division, all above Chelsea, City and United. Liverpool were not even in the division, however, they had just, or were about to appoint Bill Shankly.

With Bolton and Blackpool in there as well, it was the heyday for the North West town clubs. King Cotton was a hard ruler but at least brought some form of prosperity to the region. Now look at the EPL table, Watford, Norwich, Palace, Southampton, Brighton and Bournemouth all relative football backwaters at that time and all in the South of England.

What does that tell you?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:26 am

Quicknick wrote:Thoroughly enjoying this series of reports. And crowd trouble at a stiffs match.
I wonder what the crowd was at the reserve game.
Didn’t often get reported but there would have been a decent crowd on for the reserves. I’ve been on reserve games with over 10,000 there.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:29 am

ClaretLoup wrote:Nice to see Burnley Preston and Blackburn in the top seven of the Division, all above Chelsea, City and United. Liverpool were not even in the division, however, they had just, or were about to appoint Bill Shankly.

With Bolton and Blackpool in there as well, it was the heyday for the North West town clubs. King Cotton was a hard ruler but at least brought some form of prosperity to the region. Now look at the EPL table, Watford, Norwich, Palace, Southampton, Brighton and Bournemouth all relative football backwaters at that time and all in the South of England.

What does that tell you?
A quarter of the current Premier League is north west based but then it was over a third. Only the five London clubs representing the south then but nine today plus the long trip to Norwich.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2005 times
Has Liked: 3346 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:34 am

ClaretTony wrote:Didn’t often get reported but there would have been a decent crowd on for the reserves. I’ve been on reserve games with over 10,000 there.
My first memories of gong to the Turf were in the early sixties sitting in the Brunshaw Rd stand with my dad for reserve games and there were an awful lot of people there.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:45 am

ClaretTony wrote:Didn’t often get reported but there would have been a decent crowd on for the reserves. I’ve been on reserve games with over 10,000 there.
they also used to do a very comprehensive write-up in the local paper of each reserve game...the Central League was very competitive!

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1282 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:56 am

claretblue wrote:they also used to do a very comprehensive write-up in the local paper of each reserve game...the Central League was very competitive!
We won the Central League in 1961/62 & 1962/63 with a very strong side. As CT says crowds were in the region of 10,000 on a regular basis, it was also the best way of hearing the latest score of the first team over the tannoy.
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure Tricky Trevor

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:31 pm

We used to travel from Haslingden to watch the reserves on a regular basis. I remember the whole of the ground was open for the fixtures, there were plenty of goals scored and some very good players on view. 10 reserve team players featured in a first team fixture against Chelsea in 62 and drew 4-4 after leading throughout most of the game. One player from the reserves always stands out for me and that was Brian O'Neil who scored with some spectacular long range shots.

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:02 am

There were some memorable games against Spurs then when both sides were amongst the best teams in the country. Spurs had some very good players with the two Welsh forwards, Medwin and Jones always a threat. I was at the reserve game that day...when I first started going to matches it was to see the reserves as my dad thought it best as the crowds wouldn't be very big...just around 10,000, he said!
The situation in the town was pretty grim with the prospect of many people losing their jobs. I'm sure to many having a successful football team to support meant a great deal and took their minds of the local jobs situation.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:11 am

Suratclaret wrote:when I first started going to matches it was to see the reserves as my dad thought it best as the crowds wouldn't be very big...just around 10,000, he said!
Was exactly the same with me. It was like serving an apprenticeship. You were taken to reserve games to see whether you enjoyed it and getting used, to some extent, to the crowds. I'm not sure how long my apprenticeship would have lasted had my mum not been going out one October afternoon when the first team were playing and my dad had to take me.