Burnley's greatest chairman

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rodleydave
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Burnley's greatest chairman

Post by Rodleydave » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:48 am

A little discussion got going at the exhibition opening at Towneley... was it Bob Lord or Barry Kilby.
Bob Lord for making the club what it was in the 60s and 70s, visionary, contributions to football in general, players produced, Gawthorpe, title, Cup Final etc not a very nice man by all accounts.
or Barry Kilby, rescuing an insolvent club, promotion with Stan, keeping it afloat for several years, promotion to Prem and a thoroughly good man.
Both made massive contributions to the Burnley story.
Or can you actually say one is more important than the other.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32241 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Re: Burnley's greatest chairman

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:25 am

I spoke to Barry yesterday while looking at the board at the exhibition which depicts Lord slamming England manager Ramsey. I told him he needed more controversy in his life to warrant a book and suggested he started by blasting Southgate for not selecting James Tarkowski and Ben Mee. Somehow, I don't think that's quite Barry's style.
These 3 users liked this post: FactualFrank basil6345789 evensteadiereddie

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:26 am

Rodleydave wrote:A little discussion got going at the exhibition opening at Towneley... was it Bob Lord or Barry Kilby.
Bob Lord for making the club what it was in the 60s and 70s, visionary, contributions to football in general, players produced, Gawthorpe, title, Cup Final etc not a very nice man by all accounts.
or Barry Kilby, rescuing an insolvent club, promotion with Stan, keeping it afloat for several years, promotion to Prem and a thoroughly good man.
Both made massive contributions to the Burnley story.
Or can you actually say one is more important than the other.
They were well rewarded in the process..no fans ..no club so it's the whole collection of people from day one. IMO from top to bottom. And we've had some fantastic managers over the year also. :D Bob Lord had Vision....he was right about the Press/Media as it's now called etc.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:34 am

In Lords era it was well run and the set up to discover players was phenomenal we unearthed a catalogue of fine players.
But regards to that players knew how good Burnley was to come to and not only that it was more of a level playing field to competing with the big city clubs as we was on par to a degree.
He certainly was a master business wise was Lord and a very shred man.
It became a profited business for him and like the club as we knew it was a selling club.
For all his endeavour and he certainly put Burnley on the map i still second rate him
This is because at the end of Lords reign the club was spiralling into serious decline
and sold out to Frank and Co
Barry put in his own cash in to resurrect the club from the ashes his achievement today goes beyond anyone's imagination competing on a level that not one Burnley fan would ever have predicted of our famous old little mill town club braking all these barriers week in week out for this alone it goes without question in my view who takes the accolades
We all love you, we all love you, Barry Kilby is King :D
This user liked this post: Texanclaret16

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:36 am

Bob Lord made himself so unloveable, as a consequence his achievements and role at Burnley are oft underestimated.

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:04 am

You cannot separate them. Completely different rules and different challenges

They both demonstrate what can be achieved if your Chairmand and the Board are born and bred supporters

Are you listening Man U?
These 3 users liked this post: Tricky Trevor Bosscat evensteadiereddie

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:09 am

What about Teasdale? Saved us from the brink when nobody else wanted us. Hired jimmy mullen and stan the man. Signed Andy Payton. Took us to wembley twice and oversaw the orient miracle. Revamped thw turf with no cash. Set us off to where we are today.
These 4 users liked this post: Rodleydave jjclaret Clarets4me k90bfc

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:09 am

As above. Different eras, different challenges. Both immense in the successes of our club but Bob Lord started with a top tier club and with graft and nous improved it. Barry took on a club just turning the corner after a poor spell and advanced it to the PL.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Suratclaret » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:46 am

I think if Bob Lord had given up being Chairman sooner, he would have been remembered probably in a better light despite some supporters never forgiving him for selling JImmy Mac and voting with their feet. It is difficult to compare him with BK and both did many good things for the club. After all, the training complex at Gawthorpe has resulted from Lord Bob's initial foresight.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:48 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:As above. Different eras, different challenges. Both immense in the successes of our club but Bob Lord started with a top tier club and with graft and nous improved it. Barry took on a club just turning the corner after a poor spell and advanced it to the PL.
We were about to go back to Division 4 under Stan until BK pumped in cash and the likes of Davies, Branch and Cook were signed in the latter half of 1998-99 season if my memory is correct.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:49 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:What about Teasdale? Saved us from the brink when nobody else wanted us
or, what about Teasdale who blocked investment from local people.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:50 am

mdd2 wrote:We were about to go back to Division 4 under Stan until BK pumped in cash and the likes of Davies, Branch and Cook were signed in the latter half of 1998-99 season if my memory is correct.
Looked certain to go back down I thought but then Barry arrived and Stan was able to sign Crichton, Pickering, Davis, Branch, Mellon, Johnrose, Cook & Cowan.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:20 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:What about Teasdale? Saved us from the brink when nobody else wanted us. Hired jimmy mullen and stan the man. Signed Andy Payton. Took us to wembley twice and oversaw the orient miracle. Revamped thw turf with no cash. Set us off to where we are today.

I actually thought his name was 'Teasdale Out'.
These 3 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Pimlico_Claret DidsburyClaret

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:25 am

ClaretTony wrote:or, what about Teasdale who blocked investment from local people.
Attachments
Screenshot_20191005-112523_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20191005-112523_Samsung Internet.jpg (589.41 KiB) Viewed 9192 times

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:27 am

ClaretTony wrote:Looked certain to go back down I thought but then Barry arrived and Stan was able to sign Crichton, Pickering, Davis, Branch, Mellon, Johnrose, Cook & Cowan.
Some very shrewd signings there. Obviously we bought ourselves out of trouble and on to the inevitible success. But no doubting how important those signings were. Struggling big time until then.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:33 am

We were about to go bust with the fold of ITV digital pulling the plug if it wasn't for that good season and Barry's input we could have quite easily been in Bury's shoes

Demonstration and very unrest when Teasdale was in the hot seat so no accolades there ok Burnley fan through and through but did not have enough to take us from the doldrums

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:12 pm

Impossible comparison of Lord and Kilby. I only knew Lord from a supporters perspective and under his guidance the club had its best period ever and by some distance. I knew Barry Kilby very well prior to his involvement at Burnley. He and his family are Burnley thru and thru. He had a successful business and was persuaded to take the reins at the turf. The rest as they say is history. It’s amazing what common sense , business acumen and passion can do. For me Lord and Kilby both gave Burnley FC their all and the current chairman ain’t doing too bad either !
This user liked this post: mdd2

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:41 pm

dougcollins wrote:I actually thought his name was 'Teasdale Out'.
I don't think Teasdale ever came out, did he?

LordBob
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by LordBob » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:55 pm

We love Barry for what he's done for Burnley but my top man was Bob Lord. The word visionary has been mentioned and that's exactly what he was he fought our corner tooth and nail, we have been blessed with some great men.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Reb
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by Reb » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:28 pm

Without a doubt it was Barry. He did things for the love of BFC rather than the love of himself. The characters of the two couldn't be further apart. One is a good man ...

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:48 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:What about Teasdale? Saved us from the brink when nobody else wanted us. Hired jimmy mullen and stan the man. Signed Andy Payton. Took us to wembley twice and oversaw the orient miracle. Revamped thw turf with no cash. Set us off to where we are today.
Now, now, you know the powers that be on here hate teasdale and Lord, no seeing past that

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:54 pm

Lord undoubtedly number one.
Teasdale and Kilby equal second with Garlick. The man who has kept us at this level.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5003 times
Has Liked: 6721 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:16 pm

Barry Kilby.
Without a doubt we are where we are due to him. A passionate Claret with no ego. He started the resurgence of Burnley when he could of used his wealth to become a tax exile in warmer climes.
If ever a stand needs a new name or renaming his name must be on it.

yorkyclaret
Been Liked: 246 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by yorkyclaret » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:18 pm

Bob kept Bates out. Teasdale and Kilby kept Ingleby out of the chair at least. Thank God for both.
This user liked this post: AfloatinClaret

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 559 times
Has Liked: 1393 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:37 am

It's bound to be an age-related opinion by all of us: At the time that I began watching, the Glory-Days of the 1960's were past, so to me BL was just this evil guy who sold-off our best players every year for no good reason whatsoever - I guess that at eight years old, I my grasp of business economics was no better than many regular posters on here?

dougcollins post "I actually thought his name was 'Teasdale Out'." made me smile, I'd joined in that chant often enough. But in hindsight, I now realise that without Frank Teasdale, there's a fair chance that BFC wouldn't have still existed for Barry Kilby to 'rescue' and despite the crap often thrown at him on here, I think Mike Garlick's doing a tremendous job now. Though it's on a much bigger stage, he and the Board are doing much the same as that for which I berated Frank Teasdale: Prudently managing Burnley's finances. We might never win the Champion's League on MG's watch, but neither will we be joining the sad roll call of Leeds, Portsmouth B*stards, et al.

So for me and perhaps many of my contemporaries too? The 'Greatest' is our Messiah Barry Kilby who brought us back from the dead, with FT (for somehow keeping the corpse fresh) and MG (for maintaining and building on what BK achieved) in equal second, whilst BL will forever be the Pontius Pilate who crucified BFC in the first place.

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:04 pm

I am thinking what would old Bob think this morning. His 70s prediction that Burnley were finished as a top club is about the only one he got wrong.
And what's happening to the pub over the road that was/is to be renamed after Barry Kilby.

Commy
Been Liked: 464 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:31 pm

Jimmy Adamson wrote, in the BFC and Me book by Paul Fletcher, 'BOB LORD BUILT AN EMPIRE AND THEN DESTROYED IT.'

Billyblah
Been Liked: 165 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Billyblah » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:03 pm

Barry Kilby for me.

Bob Lord seemed to be pressing the self destruct button by the late 70's.

I know there are people on here with a low opinion of Frank Teasdale. I did however, hear a story that during the club's darkest hour, the Electricity Board turned up to cut off the power due to an unpaid bill and Frank dipped into his own pocket to allow the next game to go ahead.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets