Gary Parkinson

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
TomtheClaret
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 153 times

Gary Parkinson

Post by TomtheClaret » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:02 pm

Was he in attendance today? Any updates to his condition?

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Re: Gary Parkinson

Post by Bfcboyo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:16 pm

TomtheClaret wrote:Was he in attendance today? Any updates to his condition?
Walked past him in the Jimmy Mac suites. He was obviously in the care of his family and in his chair. I felt awkward as I wanted to say something but couldn't find the words. I wish I had of stopped and said hi now. I just didn't handle the opportunity very well.

I imagine he would still enjoy the fans applauding him.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:49 pm

TomtheClaret wrote:Was he in attendance today? Any updates to his condition?
Bfcboyo wrote:
Walked past him in the Jimmy Mac suites. He was obviously in the care of his family and in his chair. I felt awkward as I wanted to say something but couldn't find the words. I wish I had of stopped and said hi now. I just didn't handle the opportunity very well.

I imagine he would still enjoy the fans applauding him.
One of those awkward moments any ideas on how maybe you would handle seeing your club hero like this .

Is it head down and walk past. Or stop and talk to the family to show support. Really difficult situation!

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:52 pm

It was so sad to see him in that state, but uplifting to see just how much family support he's got, they were all smiling and interacting with the fans. Really hope that one day he recovers.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:59 pm

I suppose technology might one day come to the rescue similar to the quadraplegic French guy "walking with an exoskeleton but that will be many years into the future-poor Gary has neither speech nor power to his limbs but has thought and understanding apparently.
Very sad and hard for Gary and his family
This user liked this post: Pimlico_Claret

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:13 pm

There was a thread posted yesterday about a collection at the game for Gary's support costs - to enable him to live at home.

EDIT: Thread subject: "Bring a pound." I've now bumped it back to the top - was already on page 2.

Donations can also be made on-line for anyone who'd like to. The link was also with the thread.

UTC

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:02 am

After years in the doldrums, this was a turning point in Burnley Football Club history.

"GARY Parkinson has described scoring the goal which last earned Burnley promotion via the play-offs as the highlight of his career."

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/s ... highlight/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it wasn't for Parky's goal, who knows.....

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1769 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:55 am

Bfcboyo wrote:One of those awkward moments any ideas on how maybe you would handle seeing your club hero like this .

Is it head down and walk past. Or stop and talk to the family to show support. Really difficult situation!
I speak to his son Luke at times on social media. I told him a couple of tales involving his Dad from when I used to work at the Turf. One involved him wearing a bar maid's jam jar bottom specs in the bar after a game when he missed a penalty. The other around me dropping a half bottle of whisky at the top of the player's tunnel before a game, witnessed by Marlon, Davis and Parky. I got a load of stick for that and after the game when Parky came to the Sponsors Lounge he gave me a pair of Marlon's gloves to wear to help with the handling of his drink.

Luke recounted these to Parky who did remember them and sent his best wishes. I am sure Parky and his family would have welcomed any Claret yesterday stopping to say hi. Underneath the wheelchair and the physical paralysis is a man who 9 years ago was physically fitter than most of us will ever be and coaching at Blackpool. He is also fully aware of what is happening around him.

What his family do to enable Parky to live at home is remarkable and shows the love they have for him. It is costly and that is the reason I posted the Bring a Pound message previously. 2 weeks ago Boro did a reunion of the 86 team and raised over 20k for Parky. I know we have similar next weekend for the 94 play off side and hope we can do similar. He was a good player for us, scored a winner at Wembley and more than all of that, is a genuine nice bloke who deserves all the support we can give him. UTC
These 8 users liked this post: longsidepies bfcjg wilks_bfc TVC15 JohnDearyMe Claret Till I Die evensteadiereddie Bfcboyo