Changes to penalties ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Changes to penalties ?

Post by Firthy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:13 pm

I think we all agree that penalties will never go away otherwise you'd have the opposite of what we have now and defenders taking out attackers in scoring positions. But with some of the handballs, minimal contact and diving the punishment far outweighs the crime because the award of a penalty is celebrated like scoring a goal, which it basically is. Far more penalties are scored than missed or saved.

So rather than change the rules for the award of a penalty how about changing the penalty area or penalty itself, here are a couple of options.

Make the penalty area smaller and a semi circle rather than rectangle so that penalties are awarded when in front or close to the goal. At present getting a penalty at the outer corner of the box is a joke and that couldmnever be classed a s a scoring position.

Move the penalty spot two yards further away from goal and balance the odds up a bit so that the goalie has more of a chance to save it. Maybe this might stop so much diving if the penalty award wasn't almost a certain goal, they might actually try and stay on their feet and try and score in some instances.

Probaly both ridiculous ideas but would be interested to hear other peoples opinions on them.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Re: Changes to penalties ?

Post by taio » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:18 pm

I'd leave it as it is. Too much meddling as it is.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 511 times
Has Liked: 1062 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:20 pm

The penalty kick was never awarded in relation to being in a goal scoring position. It is just an area, the penalty area, where if you offend within these lines a penalty will be awarded. Simple as.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:22 pm

Darnhill Claret wrote:if you offend within these lines a penalty will be awarded. Simple as.
try convincing ay ay Ashley of that! ;)

Darnhill Claret

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:23 pm

The fault is not the law, but with the offender. You are not allowed to foul in this clearly marked area. If you do a penalty will be awarded, which deliberately gives a massive advantage to the attacking side.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:27 pm

Firthy wrote:Probaly both ridiculous ideas but would be interested to hear other peoples opinions on them.
Sorry, but I agree. Leave it as is.

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:56 pm

Bit mad that to you can be clean through but an inch outside of the penalty area and its a free kick. Compared to an erroneous clipped heel whilst with your back to goal on the corner of the area is a penalty.

Darnhill Claret

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:02 pm

As they say, you have to draw the line somewhere.

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:04 am

Firthy wrote:I think we all agree that penalties will never go away otherwise you'd have the opposite of what we have now and defenders taking out attackers in scoring positions. But with some of the handballs, minimal contact and diving the punishment far outweighs the crime because the award of a penalty is celebrated like scoring a goal, which it basically is. Far more penalties are scored than missed or saved.

So rather than change the rules for the award of a penalty how about changing the penalty area or penalty itself, here are a couple of options.

Make the penalty area smaller and a semi circle rather than rectangle so that penalties are awarded when in front or close to the goal. At present getting a penalty at the outer corner of the box is a joke and that couldmnever be classed a s a scoring position.

Move the penalty spot two yards further away from goal and balance the odds up a bit so that the goalie has more of a chance to save it. Maybe this might stop so much diving if the penalty award wasn't almost a certain goal, they might actually try and stay on their feet and try and score in some instances.

Probaly both ridiculous ideas but would be interested to hear other peoples opinions on them.
Good effort. Decent attempt at trying to tackle the problem of simulation (i.e. cheats). I reckon leave things as they are, though, and just ban the cheaters. However, we need someone in authority in the FA to simply have the balls to say that “contact” does not equal a foul.
This user liked this post: turfytopper

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1029 times
Has Liked: 1521 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:29 am

I see McTominay got away with a dive in the box in the last minute earlier.

Should be banned for life after that cheap attempt!

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3430 times

Post by turfytopper » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:03 am

Firthy wrote:I think we all agree that penalties will never go away otherwise you'd have the opposite of what we have now and defenders taking out attackers in scoring positions.
Entirely agree that there is a need for change...but not sure what the answer is....but a penalty award is virtually handing a goal to one team and often a result.
With the introduction of VAR I hoped the desception would at least be greatly reduced.

A point I've made before is that the introduction of professional referees has not led to a better standard.