DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Foreverly Claret
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 160 times

DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY

Post by Foreverly Claret » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:44 pm

What the hell is going on in this world ?.The wife of a US diplomat,under investigation for allegedly killing a young lad on his motorbike after , allegedly , driving for hundreds of yards on the wrong side of the road is allowed to skip the country and go back to the US after promising the police that she would assist with their investigations .No doubt there will be some lily-livered ,half - arsed attempt from our Foreign Secretary to get the woman back to co-operate with the enquiries.Some hopes

tybfc
Been Liked: 1303 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Re: DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY

Post by tybfc » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:57 pm

Foreverly Claret wrote:What the hell is going on in this world ?.The wife of a US diplomat,under investigation for allegedly killing a young lad on his motorbike after , allegedly , driving for hundreds of yards on the wrong side of the road is allowed to skip the country and go back to the US after promising the police that she would assist with their investigations .No doubt there will be some lily-livered ,half - arsed attempt from our Foreign Secretary to get the woman back to co-operate with the enquiries.Some hopes
More chance of a Brexit deal being done than justice in this case.

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:10 pm

Foreverly Claret wrote:What the hell is going on in this world ?.The wife of a US diplomat,under investigation for allegedly killing a young lad on his motorbike after , allegedly , driving for hundreds of yards on the wrong side of the road is allowed to skip the country and go back to the US after promising the police that she would assist with their investigations .No doubt there will be some lily-livered ,half - arsed attempt from our Foreign Secretary to get the woman back to co-operate with the enquiries.Some hopes
Read about this before it hit the headlines, felt sick, glad it's become a big news story now. Nothing will bring the lad back obviously, but justice needs to be seen to be done.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Dosn't happen to often but this should be something all of us on here can agree on. Dont hold out much hope for justice being served though

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:32 pm

Plus the USA have a horrendous record for not extraditing. In this DI case that wouldn’t come in anyway but I do wish we would stop sucking up to them and extraditing so many to them.

HB Claret
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by HB Claret » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:34 pm

Lethal Weapon ?

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18093 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:38 pm

HB Claret wrote:Lethal Weapon ?
My 1st thought too m8

I had that vision of Murtaugh (Danny Glover) taking the shot as Joss Ackland waved his passport saying "Diplomatic Immunity" in that thick South African Drawl and Murtaugh uttering that phrase "Immunity Revoked" :lol: :lol: :lol:

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:51 pm

It’s just been revoked

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:54 pm

Up there with the Welsh FA
This user liked this post: tybfc

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:02 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:Plus the USA have a horrendous record for not extraditing. In this DI case that wouldn’t come in anyway but I do wish we would stop sucking up to them and extraditing so many to them.
It’s not got as far as extradition it’s still at the investigation stage and the police can’t question her because of DI. The police could make a request to interview her in America.

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Suratclaret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:12 am

An application by the police for an extradition order would be made to the Courts. In a diplomatic immunity case presumably the Foreign Office would ask for her immunity to be waived. The USA doesn't usually waive someone's diplomatic immunity to enable a foreign country to prosecute even when there is the supposed "special relationship".

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:18 am

I wish people would cease with this stupid idea that we have a special relationship with the USA. We haven't and we never have.
These 2 users liked this post: Tricky Trevor tim_noone

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:44 am

Corky wrote:I wish people would cease with this stupid idea that we have a special relationship with the USA. We haven't and we never have.
Absolutely. They sh1t on us after WW11 making us repay them every penny whilst they re-built Germany and Japan. Their only concern is advancing their own self interest.
They are behind 80% of the conflicts around the globe.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 815 times
Has Liked: 527 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:11 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:Absolutely. They sh1t on us after WW11 making us repay them every penny whilst they re-built Germany and Japan. Their only concern is advancing their own self interest.
Source?

(Oh God, here come the Americans to make me prove my point)

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Suratclaret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:12 am

Corky wrote:I wish people would cease with this stupid idea that we have a special relationship with the USA. We haven't and we never have.
I've just re read this thread and I can't find anyone saying " we have a special relationship with the USA"

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:27 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:Absolutely. They sh1t on us after WW11 making us repay them every penny whilst they re-built Germany and Japan. Their only concern is advancing their own self interest.
Who got the most money to rebuild their economy after the war Trevor?

Going back to the OP, this is pretty scandalous and sadly the US have precedent with this kind of thing

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:34 am

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:Source?
(Oh God, here come the Americans to make me prove my point)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk/6215847.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Plan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://history.state.gov/milestones/19 ... nstruction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:36 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:Who got the most money to rebuild their economy after the war Trevor?
Giving with one hand and taking back with the other, Lancaster. See my top link to Charlie, just above.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1983 times
Has Liked: 2872 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:43 am

Slightly mis quoting history. Fear of Stalin / communist expansion meant we had to rebuild West Germany. The reparations payments were demanded after Labour won the election, again to stop the appearing march of the left. America hit a depression and Britain copped for the outbreak of the Cold War... all very convoluted and led to the near bankruptcy of the country; which led via a convoluted route to the winter of discontent in the 1970’s and ultimately Thatcherism....

This is a few individuals using a safety guard against arrest for political reasons, to avoid a domestic crime... very different. Hope the Yanks do the only right thing and fly her back, but I doubt it.

CharlieinNewMexico

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:49 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk/6215847.stm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Plan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://history.state.gov/milestones/19 ... nstruction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So I'm basically reading the UK was loaned 82 by the US and Canada , agreed to pay it back, and did.

What am I missing, why the vitriol.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:04 am

Suratclaret wrote:An application by the police for an extradition order would be made to the Courts. In a diplomatic immunity case presumably the Foreign Office would ask for her immunity to be waived. The USA doesn't usually waive someone's diplomatic immunity to enable a foreign country to prosecute even when there is the supposed "special relationship".
I believe this is what you are looking for Suratclaret. Semantics big in your house?

Also regarding the Marshall plan, that was a great idea by the USA but we ploughed the money into the NHS/Welfare State whilst Germany and Japan sort of started from scratch and rebuilt their industrial base from scratch. It sort of depends which side of the political divide you occupy as to which was the right thing to do.

There is no doubt that financially the Americans did very well out of WW2, gone way off thread now though!!!!!!!

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:48 am

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:So I'm basically reading the UK was loaned 82 by the US and Canada , agreed to pay it back, and did.

What am I missing, why the vitriol.
Because Britain stood alone against Nazi Germany until US came on board.
ICYMI They weren’t interested until Churchill sent Roosevelt an intercepted Enigma message from Hitler to the Mexican President about backing Mexico if they attacked California.
Thanks for the help but whilst the rest of the World was being looked after we were on rations and in the sh1thouse for years because we stood alone.
Sorry to tell you I don’t like America.
I have never met an American I didn’t like and I love American sport & music but it’s the state.
Run on pure greed, look after yourself cos no one else will, buying “justice”, CIA interfering around the world causing conflicts, the gun lobby, I could go on.
Have a nice day, Charlie

CharlieinNewMexico

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:55 am

Run on pure greed, look after yourself cos no one else will, buying “justice"

Source?

Also I'm not American I've just lived here for 30 years. I'm actually Burnley Bank Hallian.

For every American you think is that way, there's also one thinking " wow, this is one dumb uncultured Lancastrian who should be on an idiot abroad"

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:11 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:Because Britain stood alone against Nazi Germany until US came on board.
ICYMI They weren’t interested until Churchill sent Roosevelt an intercepted Enigma message from Hitler to the Mexican President about backing Mexico if they attacked California.
Thanks for the help but whilst the rest of the World was being looked after we were on rations and in the sh1thouse for years because we stood alone.
Sorry to tell you I don’t like America.
I have never met an American I didn’t like and I love American sport & music but it’s the state.
Run on pure greed, look after yourself cos no one else will, buying “justice”, CIA interfering around the world causing conflicts, the gun lobby, I could go on.
Have a nice day, Charlie
Trevor, some less selective history reading would certainly not go amiss!

The Marshall Plan rebuilt Germany and Japan, because of two reasons

- Both were smashed into the ground economically, with the infrastructure wrecked and effectively a clean slate to start from scratch.
- The Allies learnt the lesson of WWI, and realised the only way to avoid such conflict again was by dialogue, rebuilding and readmitting the new democracies of W.Germany and Japan back into the international fold as quickly as possible.

We got more money that they did, we just repaired rather than rebuilt, and didn't understand our role in the world and the changing world economy till it was almost too late. We are still paying for that decision today*

*no blame attached here, hard to see what else a UK government could have done after the war and in the NHS, we created one of the worlds premier health systems.

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:56 am

Trevor, I think you might be confusing the offer to Mexico with World War One. It was the Zimmermann Telegram sent in 1917 that suggested Mexico might recover Texas and New Mexico from the USA if Mexico joined with Germany in the event of the USA declaring war on Germany. This was one of the main reasons for the USA entering World War One. I might be wrong, but I don't think Hitler ever made a similar offer.

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:29 am

Erasmus wrote:Trevor, I think you might be confusing the offer to Mexico with World War One. It was the Zimmermann Telegram sent in 1917 that suggested Mexico might recover Texas and New Mexico from the USA if Mexico joined with Germany in the event of the USA declaring war on Germany. This was one of the main reasons for the USA entering World War One. I might be wrong, but I don't think Hitler ever made a similar offer.
That’s new to me, Erasmus. I’ll check it. The story I heard was as I wrote.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:31 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:That’s new to me, Erasmus. I’ll check it. The story I heard was as I wrote.
I would if I was you.

its called the "Zimmerman cable" (from memory) and that plus U-boat sinkings of neutral American ships was a major point in the USA joining in WW1