Labour now want to interfere in running football clubs

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3190 times

Re: Labour now want to interfere in running football clubs

Post by Taffy on the wing » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:47 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Corbyn then announced that under a future labour government ( which is a contradiction in terms , given, if there was a labour government, there wouldn't actually be a future) but we'll gloss over that. At the end of each season there would be no relegation or promotion and all teams would finish with the same , equal, number of points in the inclusive, newly sponsored, LBGTXYZ premier league.

Diane Abbot to present the trophies to the twelveteen team captains .
Next thing ..........you'll be telling us that you're daft enough to support Brexit!

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3190 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:53 pm

Paul Waine wrote:The Times report:

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn: ban bad football club owners like Mike Ashley

Jeremy Corbyn has vowed to transform how football is run, lashing out at “bad owners” such as Newcastle United’s Mike Ashley.
Meeting members of the “Ashley Out” campaign in Newcastle, the Labour leader said football clubs were “more than just a club” and should not be run by people who “put their business interests ahead of everything else”.

Corbyn wants supporters’ trusts to be able to buy shares when clubs change hands, as well as having the power to appoint and sack at least two members of their club’s board of directors.

He would also demand that Premier League teams use at least 5 per cent of their income from TV rights to fund grassroots football, including better facilities and pitches and training for developing coaches.

Corbyn, who supports Arsenal, said: “A football club is more than just a club, it is an institution at the heart of our communities. Clubs are part of the social fabric that binds us together. They are too important to be left in the hands of bad owners like Mike Ashley who put their business interests ahead of everything else, marginalise supporters and even put the financial security of clubs at risk.”

Ashley, who founded Sports Direct, has owned Newcastle since 2007. His reign has included a series of controversial managerial changes. This summer Rafa Benítez left after his contract expired to manage China’s Dalian Yifang, and was replaced by Steve Bruce.

During his meeting with the fans on Saturday, Corbyn was told that the mood of the city is directly linked to how Newcastle play. Corbyn told them: “Under a Labour government, the Premier League riches will be used to invest in grassroots football, fans will be protected from rip-off online ticket touts, and staff who work at clubs will get security and a living wage.”

Somewhat different from Ringo's version............ who's a bit like reading the Sun/Express/Mail etc.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:24 pm

TVC15 wrote:Like who ?
He’s not going to mention the owners of a low profile club in the 2nd division.
He’s mentioned Ashley because Newcastle are a big club and it’s a big place....and their fans have been unhappy with their owner for a long time.
Nothing to do with jumping on the band wagon.
I've mentioned Brighton, they're in a much worse financial position and unless something's changed the club and ground are still separate entities owned by the same parent company etc, it's just their owner keeping them afloat.

Yeah I get Newcastle fans have a tendency to get all pissy about their club and Ashley but it's his money keeping them in the PL or the upper Championship

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:10 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:I've mentioned Brighton, they're in a much worse financial position and unless something's changed the club and ground are still separate entities owned by the same parent company etc, it's just their owner keeping them afloat.

Yeah I get Newcastle fans have a tendency to get all pissy about their club and Ashley but it's his money keeping them in the PL or the upper Championship
Are Brighton fans unhappy about their owners ?

This wasn’t really a debate about which clubs are being bank rolled by the owners and the obvious perilous risks this strategy carries if they decide one day to up sticks or their other businesses take a hit etc. There are far too many clubs in that situation (including Brighton and Newcastle) to single out Newcastle as the worst.

Unfortunately many Premier League clubs supporters don’t seem too bothered about the way their board run their finances as long as their team is doing ok. Newcastle fans have been unhappy for a long time ironically because they want Ashley to spend more than the club can afford or for him to just sell up and someone else do this.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:36 am

One of Labour's biggest individual donors in the late 80's and early 90's was a great football man .... Owen Oyston !!

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:55 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:Next thing ..........you'll be telling us that you're daft enough to support Brexit!
Correct!

I'm also one of those silly buggers that believes the largest single expression of democracy this nation has ever witnessed, should actually implemented.

Call me old fashioned like.........

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 610 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:51 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Correct!

I'm also one of those silly buggers that believes the largest single expression of democracy this nation has ever witnessed, should actually implemented.

Call me old fashioned like.........
37% Leave
35% Remain
28% Undecided

Call me old fashioned like, but that in no way shape or form is that the “largest single expression of democracy”. Deluded.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:16 pm

Winstonswhite wrote:37% Leave
35% Remain
28% Undecided

Call me old fashioned like, but that in no way shape or form is that the “largest single expression of democracy”. Deluded.
28% didn't vote. You dont vote, you dont count. Simple as.

17,410,742 is the largest single expression of democracy this nation has ever witnessed.

If not, point me to a referendum option or a single party , at a general election, that received a greater number of votes.

Good luck with that.

While your at it, could you also tell me when a uk wide referendum, or general election , wasnt actually implemented?

Again, good luck.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2325 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:02 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:28% didn't vote. You dont vote, you dont count. Simple as.

17,410,742 is the largest single expression of democracy this nation has ever witnessed.

If not, point me to a referendum option or a single party , at a general election, that received a greater number of votes.

Good luck with that.

While your at it, could you also tell me when a uk wide referendum, or general election , wasnt actually implemented?

Again, good luck.

clown.

1975 referendum voted 67% for common market 32% against......and i presume the 17million then was a far greater percentage of the electorate......and they hadnt been conned by a bunch of politcal opportunists either.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:43 pm

fatboy47 wrote:clown.

1975 referendum voted 67% for common market 32% against......and i presume the 17million then was a far greater percentage of the electorate......and they hadnt been conned by a bunch of politcal opportunists either.

What was the total number of votes cast to Remain in the the, then, common market, 1975 referendum?

Was it MORE or LESS than 17,410,742?

Over to you Coco!
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:48 pm

Newcastle United has issued the following statement in response to recent comments made by Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn.

"We are disappointed by comments made by Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn at the weekend regarding football governance and club ownership, in which he specifically attacked Newcastle United.

"Amongst his comments, Mr Corbyn accused ‘billionaire owners like Mike Ashley’ of ‘ruining our national game’, claiming these ‘bad owners’ put their ‘business interests above everything else’ and risk their clubs’ financial security.

"In overlooking existing governance and regulation, as well as the hugely positive impact Newcastle United and other professional clubs have in their communities, Mr Corbyn has demonstrated a surprising lack of knowledge about our national game.

"We feel, therefore, it is important to address his damaging and misinformed opinions in the interests of the club and its supporters.

"Financially, other than sums provided to the club on a short-term, interest-free basis and repaid to him as intended, we would like to make it clear that Mike Ashley has not taken a penny out of Newcastle United in interest, salary or dividend, as is customary at many clubs.

"As stated on numerous occasions before, every penny Newcastle United has will continue to be available to it. In this financial year, the club will use an overdraft facility to manage its cashflow following a significant spend on talent in the summer. As a well-run, responsible club, that amount will be repaid in full and on time and our other regulatory obligations will be met.

"We will not apologise for being financially sustainable, but we will push the boundaries of our budgets as far as possible to maximise the impact on the team. We agree with Mr Corbyn that ‘a football club is more than just a club; it is an institution at the heart of our communities’.

"That is why our vast work across the local community will continue, with Newcastle United Foundation providing services and support to tens of thousands of people in our region each year who truly need them.

"Often, Newcastle United Foundation’s projects fill in significant gaps that the public sector sadly cannot stretch to, particularly at a time when government cuts are so prevalent.

"We would like to invite Mr Corbyn to visit one of these initiatives to experience at first hand the incredible work that is being undertaken by the Foundation in our local community every day."