The fall of Stoke City and Vokes / Ward

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Re: The fall of Stoke City and Vokes / Ward

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:34 pm

ClaretTony wrote:And now Preston's Alex Neil has gone odds on.

Neil looked a certainty to go to West Brom in the summer, was apparently there for talks, returned to Preston and signed a new long term deal. Doing a good job at Preston - can't imagine why he would want to leave a team at the top of the division for one at the bottom.
I guess we're at the time of the season when Neil will be speaking to his chairman and finding how much money he has to spend in the January window to boost his promotion push. If he doesn't like what he hears, then I suppose he could be tempted by another club on a higher a salary.

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 588 times

Re: Nathan Jones sacked

Post by rob63 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:00 pm

Alanstevensonsgloves wrote:Nathan Jones, he stayed on too long
Supreme post ASG
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

Helmshore Claret
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Helmshore Claret » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:53 pm

I wouldn't mind getting Sam back in January. I reckon he could still do 'a job' off the bench' especially in a match such as tomorrow's.Last Jan we signed a pundit/author/podcaster(whatevever that is)/oh ad I forgot/striker. I'll bet Sam gets in the team if Pullis, Allardyce or someone of that ilk gets the job. I have got my tin hat on in readiness for the flack.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1464 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:38 pm

Would be funny if Alex Neil went to Stoke and bombed would be very similar to Grayson leaving them for Sunderland and failing.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32408 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:09 am

Goobs wrote:Would be funny if Alex Neil went to Stoke and bombed would be very similar to Grayson leaving them for Sunderland and failing.
I thought Grayson might have done a decent job at Sunderland but that club was, probably still is, in a right mess. Having said that, I saw his hardly inspiring pre match pep talk in the dressing room.

Surprised to see Neil as favourite given he signed that long contract when West Brom, a much better bet than Stoke, tried to get him.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:13 am

ClaretTony wrote:And now Preston's Alex Neil has gone odds on.

Neil looked a certainty to go to West Brom in the summer, was apparently there for talks, returned to Preston and signed a new long term deal. Doing a good job at Preston - can't imagine why he would want to leave a team at the top of the division for one at the bottom.
Would probably double his wages and transfer budget. A lot of the PNE fans say he always seems to be angling for a move, probably due to being stymied in the market. Consensus with WBA is that something cropped up later down the line, most likely less than full control re transfer policy.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32408 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:31 am

Swizzlestick wrote:Would probably double his wages and transfer budget. A lot of the PNE fans say he always seems to be angling for a move, probably due to being stymied in the market. Consensus with WBA is that something cropped up later down the line, most likely less than full control re transfer policy.
Strange one with West Brom. Looked to be done and dusted when PNE announced the new contract. Done a good job there though.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:39 am

ClaretTony wrote:Strange one with West Brom. Looked to be done and dusted when PNE announced the new contract. Done a good job there though.
He’s their best chance of promotion, really good manager at that level. Will totally derail them if he left. Has been on record a few times re his frustration in the transfer market. Amazing their record signing remains David Healy in 2001.