Crewe Statement

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Crewe Statement

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:57 pm

Absolutely shameful

https://www.crewealex.net/news/2019/oct ... rio-gradi/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just look at the pas para about him helping coaches. He’s been under a ban from the FA for almost four years.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Re: Crewe Statement

Post by Grumps » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:17 pm

I must admit I've lost track, has he been convicted of anything

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:18 pm

I must admit I've lost track, has he been convicted of anything

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:18 pm

Basically him and the club are getting away with what's happened then...

Disgraceful.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Suratclaret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:21 pm

Given what the club have said ( last paragraph) surely the FA has to do something as they banned him years ago. It's absolutely ridiculous that the club can make that statement in the knowledge that he is banned.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:21 pm

Grumps wrote:I must admit I've lost track, has he been convicted of anything
Nope, but Chelsea and City have both at least acknowledged that things happened at their clubs, including during Dario's time at Chelsea.
City have set up a big fund to compensate the victims there and I think Chelsea have done something similar on a smaller scale.

Crewe aren't interested in acknowledging the issue and are steering well clear of issuing any sort of apology.
We know they can't really afford to give money to victims, but an apology and acknowledgement of some sort would be the decent and very least thing they could do.

Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:48 pm

Aside from it being hugely insensitive to the victims of abuse, the club's obvious lack of remorse and current cavalier attitude to safeguarding means no sane parent would ever let their boy join Crewe as a youth player. I wouldn't let my son anywhere near the place.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretTony elwaclaret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:49 pm

Suratclaret wrote:Given what the club have said ( last paragraph) surely the FA has to do something as they banned him years ago. It's absolutely ridiculous that the club can make that statement in the knowledge that he is banned.
It’s beyond ridiculous - it really is disgraceful
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:07 pm

ClaretTony wrote:It’s beyond ridiculous - it really is disgraceful
I ask again, has he been found guilty of anything

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:18 pm

Grumps wrote:I ask again, has he been found guilty of anything
Not in a court of law but he's been suspended from all football since 2016, was named in the recent Chelsea enquiry for failing to prevent an abuser at that club, yet Crewe but out a statement like that. No one in their right minds would do anything but condemn it.
This user liked this post: Claretitus

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:24 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Not in a court of law but he's been suspended from all football since 2016, was named in the recent Chelsea enquiry for failing to prevent an abuser at that club, yet Crewe but out a statement like that. No one in their right minds would do anything but condemn it.
People are normally suspended in the workplace whilst an investigation takes place, have we the result of that investigation?
Until he's found guilty either internally, or criminally he remains innocent however bad you think that might be
This user liked this post: mdd2

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:31 pm

Grumps wrote:People are normally suspended in the workplace whilst an investigation takes place, have we the result of that investigation?
Until he's found guilty either internally, or criminally he remains innocent however bad you think that might be
He's not guilty in a court of law but some of his actions, certainly at Chelsea, were shown to be damaging to young footballers. Why on earth has he not appealed against his ban? Why on earth has he allowed it to go on for so long? The Chelsea report was so damning against him.

Start with this from less than two months ago:

Dario Gradi’s long career could be ending in disgrace after an independent inquiry into the football sexual‑abuse scandal concluded that he had information that might have stopped one serial offender who is now feared to have preyed on more than 25 victims.

According to the findings of a two-and-a-half-year investigation, Gradi failed to report Eddie Heath when they worked together at Chelsea in the early 1970s despite receiving a complaint that his colleague had indecently assaulted one boy in the showers.

Instead, Gradi, as Chelsea’s assistant manager, visited the boy’s parents and admits in his own evidence that he did not want the matter to go any further. “I’d got no intention of getting Eddie Heath into trouble,” he says.

Gradi, currently suspended by the Football Association and also facing significant questions about the Barry Bennell scandal at Crewe, has subsequently been accused by Charles Geekie, the QC who was appointed by Chelsea to oversee the inquiry, of giving “somewhat unlikely and unconvincing” evidence.

“Mr Gradi is the single example of a clear account of an adult in a position of responsibility being informed about an allegation in relation to Mr Heath,” Geekie’s 252-page report states. “The complaint … was not referred to more senior members of the club and an opportunity to prevent Mr Heath from going on to abuse others was lost.

“The very purpose of this review is to shine a light on matters such as this. The events involving Mr Gradi are central to the purpose of this review. There is, I consider, a significant public interest in matters such as this being brought fully and openly into view. I consider it absolutely necessary … to name Mr Gradi.”

In his evidence, Gradi was asked to clarify what the complaint was. “I don’t remember the detail but … he [Heath] didn’t rape him or anything. He was sexually, I don’t know, touching him, I suppose. I don’t remember.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5520 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:42 pm

Grumps wrote:People are normally suspended in the workplace whilst an investigation takes place, have we the result of that investigation?
He hasn't been found guilty, or even accused himself of child abuse (that I am aware of) but isn't allowing it to happen unacceptable in your eyes?

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:59 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:He hasn't been found guilty, or even accused himself of child abuse (that I am aware of) but isn't allowing it to happen unacceptable in your eyes?
Let's start by saying, if he is guilty of anything then he deserves all that comes with it
Allowing it to happen could mean anything from knowing it was happening to being such a crap boss you haven't got a clue what's going on
I think in today's culture, the fact that he hasn't been personally charged, or even accused says a lot.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:02 pm

Read Gradi's own words.

I'm not sure if he has committed a crime but that's only because I'm not sure if allowing it to happen is an actual crime. But just because it isn't illegal doesn't mean he should not be criticised for it.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:08 pm

I think that's essentially the nub of it. Gradi hasn't been accused (i don't think) or convicted of directly abusing anyone, but he didn't act properly when it was clear it was happening at Chelsea with one of HIS coaching staff involved and it seems more than a coincidence that an almost identical situation seems to have developed subsequently at Crewe where Bennel was abusing kids and Gradi (apparently) saw nowt!!

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:10 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:Read Gradi's own words.
I have.....going to see the parents of a child involved is hardly covering it up. He didnt tell the club,bad decision,but,it was different times,safeguarding rules hadnt even been thought of
There's been a massive criminal enquiry into the allegations at crewe,resulting in court cases, i would have thought that would have unearthed anything gradi may or may not have done,and unless iam mistaken it hasn't,so why shouldnt crewe stand by him

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:02 pm

Grumps wrote:I have.....going to see the parents of a child involved is hardly covering it up. He didnt tell the club,bad decision,but,it was different times,safeguarding rules hadnt even been thought of
There's been a massive criminal enquiry into the allegations at crewe,resulting in court cases, i would have thought that would have unearthed anything gradi may or may not have done,and unless iam mistaken it hasn't,so why shouldnt crewe stand by him
I can't be bothered to pick the holes out of that post. All I will say is if you want to defend him, go ahead.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:36 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:I can't be bothered to pick the holes out of that post. All I will say is if you want to defend him, go ahead.
Hang them high eh?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:24 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:I can't be bothered to pick the holes out of that post. All I will say is if you want to defend him, go ahead.
100% with you on that. Sad that, given all the evidence, someone is still prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:26 pm

If ever a poster proved that some people will defend anything just to be controversial

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:49 pm

ClaretTony wrote:100% with you on that. Sad that, given all the evidence, someone is still prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Innocent till proven guilty,unless the law doesnt apply on here.
I guess people are suggesting Gradi is an abuser....no evidence whatsoever for that.do we ignore the massive enq into Bannan? Was Gradi implicated in any way?
If there was any evidence of abuse I'd be first in line wanting maximum sentence, but as yet the evidence of any wrongdoing at Crewe is not available

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:50 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:If ever a poster proved that some people will defend anything just to be controversial
Just looking at the facts mate

1fatclaret
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 100 times

Post by 1fatclaret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:14 pm

Grumps wrote:Just looking at the facts mate
Ok, let’s stick to facts.

1) he has been suspended by the FA
2) despite this, he has continued working at the football club.
3) no more facts needed, it’s a disgrace.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:16 pm

ClaretTony wrote:100% with you on that. Sad that, given all the evidence, someone is still prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.
So......what's your Verdict ?

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:41 pm

Grumps wrote:Innocent till proven guilty,unless the law doesnt apply on here.
I guess people are suggesting Gradi is an abuser....no evidence whatsoever for that.do we ignore the massive enq into Bannan? Was Gradi implicated in any way?
If there was any evidence of abuse I'd be first in line wanting maximum sentence, but as yet the evidence of any wrongdoing at Crewe is not available
If he covered up the abuse on more than 1 occasion, then he might aswell have been an abuser.
Disgusting statement from a disgusting club defending a disgusting man.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:42 pm

1fatclaret wrote: ...he has continued working at the football club.
Has he? Where did you get that from?

The details of Gradi's 2016 "interim" suspension by the FA are hard to come by. What were the terms? How long does an interim ban last? Why has it taken 3+years of an interim ban? Was there any sign they might ever charge him with something?

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:05 am

This was an interesting piece from almost a year ago - https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... se-scandal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:18 am

Why would someone receive a complaint that an adult had indecently assaulted a boy in the showers but not want the complaint to go any further?

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:37 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Why would someone receive a complaint that an adult had indecently assaulted a boy in the showers but not want the complaint to go any further?
Because it was in an era when it went on in every football or cricket dressing room, its wrong,but in those days it was accepted.
Many a young player,at every level will have been a victim of some kind of abuse or bullying, in many local teams it was to have firey jack rubbed in their privates.....its not right, and gladly not acceptable now, but it was then.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:50 am

ChorltonCharlie wrote:This was an interesting piece from almost a year ago - https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... se-scandal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daniel Taylor's investigative journalism on this subject has been absolutely brilliant

Richardsbfc
Been Liked: 66 times
Has Liked: 84 times

Post by Richardsbfc » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:53 am

It was clearly accepted in those days which is a shame. You look at all these TV personalities that have been done in that time and it’s sickening. Like a poster above mentions, thank god this is deemed as unacceptable in every way now!

Not that long ago, I played at youth level for a football club who if we had a bad game our manager used to make us do naked press ups in the shower. A press up would only count if the old man touched the floor.

We all thought it was pretty funny really but thinking back, you’ve got to question whether they were any strange undertone or just a bit of fun to get over a terrible day at the office.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:54 am

By coincidence, Steve Walters, who was one of the young players sexually abused with Bennell, was at Gawthorpe yesterday with his son George who was signing scholarship forms with us.

Thank God that George will never have to go through what his dad did at a football club. Shame on that football club and shame on Bowler & Gradi.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... n-the-face" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:58 am

ChorltonCharlie wrote:This was an interesting piece from almost a year ago - https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... se-scandal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting and worthy of consideration but deeply flawed and contradictory.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:03 am

Richardsbfc wrote:It was clearly accepted in those days which is a shame. You look at all these TV personalities that have been done in that time and it’s sickening. Like a poster above mentions, thank god this is deemed as unacceptable in every way now!

Not that long ago, I played at youth level for a football club who if we had a bad game our manager used to make us do naked press ups in the shower. A press up would only count if the old man touched the floor.

We all thought it was pretty funny really but thinking back, you’ve got to question whether they were any strange undertone or just a bit of fun to get over a terrible day at the office.
I saw this first hand just before the time in question. It would have been considered, by serious people trying to act responsibly, to be in no-one's interest, including mine, to take it further unless the acts were more serious than those that Gradi is deemed to have known of.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:08 pm

Away from football Back in the sixties "Apprentice" Day.....I'm sure it was shrove Tuesdays Apprentices were defrocked so to speak Boot polish applied and young 15 year old Lads to all intents abused. I remember being off sick at the time....thank f..k and dreading the day.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:33 pm

tim_noone wrote:Away from football Back in the sixties "Apprentice" Day.....I'm sure it was shrove Tuesdays Apprentices were defrocked so to speak Boot polish applied and young 15 year old Lads to all intents abused. I remember being off sick at the time....thank f..k and dreading the day.
Went on in every work place, young girls bits being date stamped, or photocopied, all the forces had some kind of abuse for youngsters, why people think male oriented sports was any different is beyond me. I haven't read what the guy did to the young guy in the shower at Chelsea, but if was for argument sake, smacking his backside, perhaps gradi thought he shouldn't get in trouble for something which was going on everywhere. Many on here didn't live through those times, so will find it difficult to understand.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:39 pm

Grumps wrote:Went on in every work place, young girls bits being date stamped, or photocopied, all the forces had some kind of abuse for youngsters, why people think male oriented sports was any different is beyond me. I haven't read what the guy did to the young guy in the shower at Chelsea, but if was for argument sake, smacking his backside, perhaps gradi thought he shouldn't get in trouble for something which was going on everywhere. Many on here didn't live through those times, so will find it difficult to understand.
That's alright then.

:roll:

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:42 pm

fidelcastro wrote:That's alright then.

No. It's not alright. But then since nobody said it is alright, everyone's in agreement.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:45 pm

thatdberight wrote:No. It's not alright. But then since nobody said it is alright, everyone's in agreement.
But they're not really, are they?

People saying that it was Gradi just going along with what was deemed acceptable.

Do me a favour! :roll:

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:49 pm

fidelcastro wrote:That's alright then.

Nobody ever said it was

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:51 pm

fidelcastro wrote:But they're not really, are they?

People saying that it was Gradi just going along with what was deemed acceptable.

Do me a favour! :roll:
Acceptable at the time, which you are failing to grasp

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:54 pm

Grumps wrote:Nobody ever said it was
It's trolling Tuesday ....

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:59 pm

Grumps wrote:Acceptable at the time, which you are failing to grasp
Who said it was acceptable at the time?

Or were people just too scared to report it or do anything about it?

Go on... tell me it was just good natured banter, and those on the receiving end should stop being snowflakes! :roll:

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:00 pm

Grumps wrote:Acceptable at the time, which you are failing to grasp
Sexual abuse was not acceptable at the time and this is why it was covered up. If what went on a Crewe was acceptable - it wouldn't have been covered up. Quite logical really. Why are you finding this so hard to understand?
These 2 users liked this post: fidelcastro Dyched

1fatclaret
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 100 times

Post by 1fatclaret » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:00 pm

thatdberight wrote:Has he? Where did you get that from?
From the original link to the statement from Crewe......

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:33 pm

Whenever anything like this is discussed it is always ‘they were different times...etc’. I really don’t buy that for any of the stuff that has been found out from the 70s etc. People have and always will be predominantly good or bad and the good ones would always see this sort of stuff for what it is....

There is also a reason you have crimes like perverting the course of justice which could be based on having information and not acting on it. Any normal good person with the information Gradi was given would have acted on it correctly.....no doubt about that...

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:56 pm

1fatclaret wrote:From the original link to the statement from Crewe......
If Gradi has worked with and for Crewe during his suspension, that would be a serious matter. I don't think he has. I agree the statement is poorly worded with "continuing" being open to interpretation. But I really don't believe he has been involved while suspended and even less so believe Crewe would be stupid enough to boast about it.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:02 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:Sexual abuse was not acceptable at the time and this is why it was covered up. If what went on a Crewe was acceptable - it wouldn't have been covered up. Quite logical really. Why are you finding this so hard to understand?
Has anyone been by courts or their employer been found to have covered anything up at Crewe? Or has a corporate entity been found to have done so by a regulatory body? - it's hard to keep up.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:15 pm

fidelcastro wrote:Who said it was acceptable at the time?

Or were people just too scared to report it or do anything about it?

Go on... tell me it was just good natured banter, and those on the receiving end should stop being snowflakes! :roll:
It was accepted that it would happen, therefore by definition acceptable
However the world evolves,and things that were acceptable at one time in life,sometimes in later life are deemed unacceptable, its how life changes

Some of the things which have changed from acceptable to unacceptable in my life are
Smacking children
Teachers giving unruley pupils six of the best
Drink driving
Racist chanting at football matches
Love thy neighbour, and such like on tv
Comedians such as bernard manning,jim Davidson etc
Wolf whistling

On the other hand,things like homosexuality has gone from unacceptable to acceptable in today's world

There will be things we accept today,later generations will find unacceptable.

When judging gradi for not reporting something,which at the time,though wrong, people should remember it was accepted by society at that time. And although people find it difficult to comprehend,he was one of many millions of bosses,at the time doing the same thing. For those struggling, yes It was wrong, i repeat, yes it was wrong...and for a third time,yes it was wrong.
This user liked this post: tim_noone