Harry Brooks

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Harry Brooks

Post by Local cricketer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:46 am

Sadly passed away. Big Lowerhouse and Burnley fc fan

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Re: Harry Brooks

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:06 am

Local cricketer wrote:Sadly passed away. Big Lowerhouse and Burnley fc fan
Must have been getting on in years. Was a big Burnley CC fan but then switched to Lowerhouse.

Local cricketer

Post by Local cricketer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:14 am

ClaretTony wrote:Must have been getting on in years. Was a big Burnley CC fan but then switched to Lowerhouse.
I didnt want to put that in my post but your right. No age given but I imagine in his 80s

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:24 am

ClaretTony wrote:Must have been getting on in years. Was a big Burnley CC fan but then switched to Lowerhouse.
Harry was always a follower of both clubs but was actively involved in Lowerhouse in the 80's before moving away. When he came back to the area his allegiance was more with Lowerhouse and he has given the club great support, particularly financially, in recent years.

Not afraid to have an opinion on any subject he was also one of the people involved in the 'coup' that ultimately after Ingleby and Shackleton et al lead to Barry Kilby becoming BFC chairman.

He was a regular in the pages of the Burnley Express addressing local issues and fighting causes close to his heart.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:31 am

arise_sir_charge wrote:Harry was always a follower of both clubs but was actively involved in Lowerhouse in the 80's before moving away. When he came back to the area his allegiance was more with Lowerhouse and he has given the club great support, particularly financially, in recent years.

Not afraid to have an opinion on any subject he was also one of the people involved in the 'coup' that ultimately after Ingleby and Shackleton et al lead to Barry Kilby becoming BFC chairman.

He was a regular in the pages of the Burnley Express addressing local issues and fighting causes close to his heart.
I know he used to be at just about every Burnley CC home game back in the 1990s and early 2000s - and it's clear the support he's given Lowerhouse in more recent years.

I know he was involved with Clive Holt when he got on the board in the 1980s but am amazed he had any involvement with Barry Kilby's arrival although I know that was all done behind Teasdale's back.

How old was he? Last time I saw him he didn't look at all good.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3845 times
Has Liked: 2066 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:34 am

Always seemed to have an angry letter in the Burnley Express when I used to read it years ago.

Seems to have done lots of good for local cricket in the area.

Rest in peace

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:38 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:Always seemed to have an angry letter in the Burnley Express when I used to read it years ago
He loved to challenge authority - it was an annual event at Burnley FC's AGM but he once went too far with Doc Iven and the whole meeting turned on him. He got on the council with Labour but quickly went independent so he could challenge everyone.

One positive from him re: Burnley FC. He was a contributor back in 2014 (I think it was) when we bought back Turf Moor and Gawthorpe. He's still listed in the match programme today under the list of Turf Moor Buy Back Associates.

Really sad news though this morning, very much a prominent figure in Burnley for some years.

clansman
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by clansman » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:03 pm

Many of us shareholders use to wait with trepidation for his input into the AGM! A real Burnley character. r.i.p

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:08 pm

I liked him, although he could be contrary .... he was a generous contributor to many good causes locally, especially those relating to young people getting involved in sport ..

He stood for Parliament in 2005 on a " Burnley First " ticket, and polled a very respectable 5,786 . He came 3rd, behind Kitty Ussher ( Labour ), and Gordon Birtwistle ( L/D ). He relegated the Conservatives into 4th place, outpolling them by over 1,500 votes ....

R.I.P. Harry ...
Last edited by Clarets4me on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:11 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I know he used to be at just about every Burnley CC home game back in the 1990s and early 2000s - and it's clear the support he's given Lowerhouse in more recent years.

I know he was involved with Clive Holt when he got on the board in the 1980s but am amazed he had any involvement with Barry Kilby's arrival although I know that was all done behind Teasdale's back.

I don't think he was directly involved with Barry Kilby himself but do seem to recall that he tried to force a share issue and was very public in his pursuit of Frank Teasedale and that ultimately lead to Barry Kilby coming in a taking control. He still held shares and as you say made a significant loaned contribution to the buy back.

His health hasn't been great in recent years with his mobility suffering most, but he was still razor sharp mentally and still attended both Lowerhouse games and Burnley FC games . Harry would host meetings with myself and others about cricket at either his home or Nino's. We were due a catch up any time and was comign to this Friday's presentation evening. He was in his mid 80's, I'm unsure exactly how old he was.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:26 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:I don't think he was directly involved with Barry Kilby himself but do seem to recall that he tried to force a share issue and was very public in his pursuit of Frank Teasedale and that ultimately lead to Barry Kilby coming in a taking control. He still held shares and as you say made a significant loaned contribution to the buy back.

His health hasn't been great in recent years with his mobility suffering most, but he was still razor sharp mentally and still attended both Lowerhouse games and Burnley FC games . Harry would host meetings with myself and others about cricket at either his home or Nino's. We were due a catch up any time and was comign to this Friday's presentation evening. He was in his mid 80's, I'm unsure exactly how old he was.
I thought he must be well past 80.

Local cricketer

Post by Local cricketer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:28 pm

The Clitheroe dossier was his best work
This user liked this post: Hopey

Spike
Been Liked: 595 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:29 pm

RIP Harry

Sean Dyche's Watch
Been Liked: 233 times

Post by Sean Dyche's Watch » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:34 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
He was 86 years old

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:14 pm

I've noticed his name often comes up in those reports CT has posted of the footy seasons in the late 50's and early 60's, as there's always stuff included from the local press and he was often being quoted on some issue or other. He was at times controversial and was definitely very opinionated and I rather disagree with an above post that the "Clitheroe Dossier" was his finest work as I really didn't think it was, as it came across as more of a rant then a reasoned argument, when actually he was trying to make valid points. Ultimately though, his heart was in the right place and that place was always "Burnley" and everything in it and he was certainly generous with both his time his cash.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:23 pm

Brief statement from the club on the Official website now

Hopey
Been Liked: 213 times
Has Liked: 156 times

Post by Hopey » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:57 pm

Club statement

RIP Harry.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2155 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:40 pm

Very sad, I’d got to know him quite well and always had a chat about cricket & football. He would let me have his hospitality tickets now and again and everyone would ask where he was as he was very well known within the club.

I believe he gave the club money when they were in need and refused it back on promotion to the premier league.

Those that were at the Lehmann evening recently at LHCC would have seen that he hadn’t lost his controversial questions :D . Rest in peace Harry

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1140 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:27 pm

One of the "joys" of reading the Burnley Express was looking for the obligatory Harry Brooks letter. Didn't always care about his various causes but I recall that they were all eloquently written , and from the heart

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:17 pm

Really saddened to read of his passing.
Harry was a very interesting gentleman and used to ring me up and ask me to pop round, as he always had something he wanted to discuss. Whenever I called, we talked for ages and we often talked of his younger days working at Bank Hall pit in the office and me later working there on the pit top. Harry spoke of the likes of Connelly and a few more players working at the pit.
His memory of all the clubs players and games from the 40/50s was a pleasure to listen about. Not just football but his love for cricket.
At least I’ve got something to remember him by on the wall of my Clarets room, from when he gave me a copy of the plaque for Burnley’s 30 game unbeaten record.
From recollection he went to Abel St school and later Burnley Grammar School.
While he was perhaps not to everyone’s taste, I think the people judging him, probably hardly knew him. If they had, they would have thought different of him.
His elegant tone of voice, was one which never uttered vulgar language.
RIP Harry

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:31 pm

I always thought he was very rude, unnecessarily argumentative and bitter that he was never invited onto the board at Burnley.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:37 pm

Bfc wrote: From recollection he went to Abel St school
I'm sure you are right - think he was brought up on Pheasantford Street at Duke Bar.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 481 times
Has Liked: 2290 times

Post by basil6345789 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:07 pm

Remember him being on Question Time when it came to Burnley (Thomson Centre, I think). He got the mic. and explained a few home truths but was shouted down in a PC oriented stitch up by Labour, clearly approved of by The BBC. A good man. RIP Harry.

Reb
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by Reb » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:06 pm

At one point I believe he would very much have liked to be on the Board. I remember his obligatory AGM appearances well.

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:27 pm

His letters were gems. We ended the Roger Eli book with one to Roger that is a joy to read. Used another classic in the Bob Lord book in which he wrote to the ghost of Bob Lord, bemoaning the state of the club.

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:44 pm

Local cricketer wrote:Sadly passed away. Big Lowerhouse and Burnley fc fan
Left a big chunk of his estate to the club i hear

Loaded that man. He bought the scoreboard at LCC didnt he? 9k worth
This user liked this post: superdimitri

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:12 am

Re the passing of Harry Brooks, theroyaldyche has stooped to commenting on the mans wealth, before he (Harry ) has had his funeral.
" He's heard he's left a chunk of his estate to the club" and as you know, why didn't you also say which club he left it to. Whatever Harry did with his money before he died, be it OUR local local cricket teams and football club, it was a saviour to benefit each of them and their supporters, in time of need.
Show some respect for someone who has just passed away, rather than commenting on heresay and your apparent jealousy, of a local lad who has done good for local sport.
These 2 users liked this post: Lord Rothbury Hopey

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:19 am

Bfc wrote:Re the passing of Harry Brooks, theroyaldyche has stooped to commenting on the mans wealth, before he (Harry ) has had his funeral.
" He's heard he's left a chunk of his estate to the club" and as you know, why didn't you also say which club he left it to. Whatever Harry did with his money before he died, be it OUR local local cricket teams and football club, it was a saviour to benefit each of them and their supporters, in time of need.
Show some respect for someone who has just passed away, rather than commenting on heresay and your apparent jealousy, of a local lad who has done good for local sport.
Jealousy? Certainly not hearsay. He was a good man and a very good friend of the family. My grandad sat with him on the turf

Get your facts right smart arse. Its a good thing that my local club lowerhouse will be well looked after following his passing.
These 3 users liked this post: basil6345789 Hopey tim_noone

Hopey
Been Liked: 213 times
Has Liked: 156 times

Post by Hopey » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:29 pm

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2155 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:49 pm

theroyaldyche wrote:Jealousy? Certainly not hearsay. He was a good man and a very good friend of the family. My grandad sat with him on the turf

Get your facts right smart arse. Its a good thing that my local club lowerhouse will be well looked after following his passing.

I hope to leave a legacy like him