Kirkham Prison

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Kirkham Prison

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:46 am

Is this place fit for purpose?

Another two escaped prisoners on Saturday night who managed to scale the fence.
Seems to be at least once a month a prisoner decides to leave of his own accord.

I know it's supposed to be a soft prison but

Just glad I don't live around there.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Re: Kirkham Prison

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:53 am

It’s an Open Prison. It’s not meant to be hard to escape from. The Inmates in there are usually in for Minor, Non-Violent Offences. 20 years ago a friend of mine was ther for 3 month out of Six, for Credit Card Fraud.
Those that can’t resist escaping, upon re-capture will end up in somewhere like HMP Preston, which is not so easy a ride.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:55 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:Just glad I don't live around there.
Brrrrr...I know - the draft from the open doors must be perishing! :D

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:55 am

Have to climb the fence now...a number of years ago there was a hole in one of the fences and a friend of mine who worked there said the hole wasn't repaired so that any inmate who wanted to go walkabout could do so without damaging the perimeter fence. It's a category D prison so inmates are supposed to be low risk.
Kirkham was in the football news a number of years ago when it provided accommodation to Jan Molby the Liverpool player.

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:16 pm

I might be wrong but I was always under the impression that you could walk out of an open prison should you want to, but the inmates were trusted not to do so.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:30 pm

SammyBoy wrote:I might be wrong but I was always under the impression that you could walk out of an open prison should you want to, but the inmates were trusted not to do so.
short, sharp, shock! :shock:

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:30 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Is this place fit for purpose?

Seems to be at least once a month a prisoner decides to leave of his own accord.

Perhaps they were checking out "Parking" for visitors in the local area ;)

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 436 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:51 pm

Pretty sure there’s a barrier you can walk through next to the office, similar to a car park. They probably scaled the fence to give themselves more time.

Most people are close the end of their sentence or minor crimes, the ability to easily escape is a test these are obviously failing.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:58 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:It’s an Open Prison. It’s not meant to be hard to escape from. The Inmates in there are usually in for Minor, Non-Violent Offences. 20 years ago a friend of mine was ther for 3 month out of Six, for Credit Card Fraud.
Those that can’t resist escaping, upon re-capture will end up in somewhere like HMP Preston, which is not so easy a ride.
Not always the case. People also go there at the end of long sentences for more serious and violent crimes.

Bit daft escaping. They’ll be back in and serve their full term at a less ‘nice’ prison now.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:32 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Not always the case. People also go there at the end of long sentences for more serious and violent crimes.

Bit daft escaping. They’ll be back in and serve their full term at a less ‘nice’ prison now.
Beat me to it. A parole board may determine a murderer is now no danger and can serve the remainder of their sentence in one of these. Doesn’t fill me with confidence. Could be wrong but I bet the escapees havnt just been caught shoplifting from Greggs.

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:45 pm

Blackrod wrote:Beat me to it. A parole board may determine a murderer is now no danger and can serve the remainder of their sentence in one of these. Doesn’t fill me with confidence. Could be wrong but I bet the escapees havnt just been caught shoplifting from Greggs.
I bet nobody is in any Prison for stealing from Greggs; unless, of course they did it whilst out on licence.

I’d wager that the escapees are commuters of minor offences, rather than time-served lags sitting out the last 18 months of a sentence in a comfy Open Prison. They know what they will be going back to. The ones in for 3-6 stretch in Kirkham won’t.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:34 pm

A little info about both escapees
https://www.lancashire.police.uk/news/2 ... cialSignIn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.lancashire.police.uk/news/2 ... cialSignIn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:36 pm

Someone will be along soon to be offended that one of the escapees has been described as black

claret3561
Been Liked: 136 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by claret3561 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:52 pm

Open prison is a cushy number, you are told when arriving you can walk out anytime you want. The reason people dont do it is quite simple.
1 you normally only serve a third of your sentence, when your caught the full sentence applies.
2 once you've walked out you'll never go back, you spend the whole sentence in a lock up jail like Preston which isn't pleasant.
One of the main reasons people walk out is getting into debt through drugs and suchlike and they'd rather be in a lockup jail than suffer the consequences of not paying.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10237 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:55 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Someone will be along soon to be offended that one of the escapees has been described as black

Er, the other lad's described as "white".

Good effort though, coast. ;)

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:17 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:It’s an Open Prison. It’s not meant to be hard to escape from. The Inmates in there are usually in for Minor, Non-Violent Offences. 20 years ago a friend of mine was ther for 3 month out of Six, for Credit Card Fraud.
LB m8 have a look at what these two were in prison for....

One 7 years for wounding offences in the North Wales area.

The other had been jailed for six years for conspiracy to supply Class A drugs.

So not exactly minor non violent offences :lol:

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:29 pm

Bosscat wrote:LB m8 have a look at what these two were in prison for....

One 7 years for wounding offences in the North Wales area.

The other had been jailed for six years for conspiracy to supply Class A drugs.

So not exactly minor non violent offences :lol:
They’ll be back in hard chokey again, soon.

I also suspect that they’ll not be in the vicinity of Kirkham, either.
Last edited by Lord Beamish on Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodIsADeeJay81
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:29 pm

Inmates can be moved half way through a sentence if they've behaved themselves to an open prison.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:31 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:They’ll be back in hard chokey again, soon.

I also suspect that they’ll not be in the vicinity of Kirkham, either.
Reckon you are right m8....

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:05 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:A little info about both escapees
Would have put money on them being in for serious stuff. No other reason to try and bunk.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4094 times
Has Liked: 6570 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:20 pm

Lord Beamish... two references you have made to life in a normal gaol being hard... just wondering where you get this notion from?

Only askin cos I have a couple of ‘mates’ who have done some pokey time. Both treat it as a rest, a chance to chill for a bit and recharge at their own pace.

I’m sure I wouldn’t like it, but I know I could do it. I’m equally sure there are plenty of others who wouldn’t like it or manage to do it but knowing what I do from these two lads, coupled with what I gather from the many prison documentaries I have seen, it ain’t that bad.

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:24 pm

bobinho wrote:Lord Beamish... two references you have made to life in a normal gaol being hard... just wondering where you get this notion from?

Only askin cos I have a couple of ‘mates’ who have done some pokey time. Both treat it as a rest, a chance to chill for a bit and recharge at their own pace.

I’m sure I wouldn’t like it, but I know I could do it. I’m equally sure there are plenty of others who wouldn’t like it or manage to do it but knowing what I do from these two lads, coupled with what I gather from the many prison documentaries I have seen, it ain’t that bad.
Give it a whirl, if you like. I’m determined to stay out of Criminal Detention.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1155 times
Has Liked: 783 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:25 pm

You have to be a special kind of stupid to escape from an open prison.
Pretty much all escapees get re-captured so you're just swapping the cushiest of prison experiences for a more grim one
These 2 users liked this post: Lord Beamish Bosscat

jjclaret
Been Liked: 119 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by jjclaret » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:21 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Is this place fit for purpose?

https://tinyurl.com/y4quvnqp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently 18 over the past 12 months - that's 1.5 per month on average.

claret3561
Been Liked: 136 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by claret3561 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:25 pm

[quote="Lord Beamish"][quote="bobinho"]Lord Beamish... two references you have made to life in a normal gaol being hard... just wondering where you get this notion from?

I've seen lots of car crashes on tv, they dont look that bad either until your in one, and if it's that easy for your mates how often do they go back for a rest.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 773 times
Has Liked: 1431 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:43 pm

I had an acquaintance that finished up his sentence at Kirkham. Having visited him at several other prisons this looked to be a breeze.

His view was quite the opposite, you were almost pushed to break the rules and constantly tested. One bad move and you would sent back to a much tougher prison and longer sentence. Psychologically a different challenge.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:54 pm

working for Probation in the 80's I often came accross young offenders bragging to gullible kds about how they could do 6months DC or Borstal ""standing on my head""...

Some of these lads would be the same ones I'd seen on visits to Buckley Hall etc...crying their eyes out all day..absolutely desperate to get through their time.
Take anything any young jailbird tells you with a massive pinch of salt.
These 3 users liked this post: Lord Beamish cricketfieldclarets Suratclaret

bobinho
Been Liked: 4094 times
Has Liked: 6570 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:05 pm

claret3561 wrote:
One goes occasionally, although not for quite a while now. One is quite regular... as a judge once said to Norman Stanley Fletcher, "he accepts incarceration in a casual manner"

Like I said, it's no bother to them. They can choose to work for fag money, or they can doss all day, no shortage of recreational drugs, tv In the room, pool and table tennis on the landing, get their hands on fones and alcohol.... I spent years in some of the biggest shitholes in the world whilst serving in the Army, without anything LIKE that sort of comfort.

When I see one of them I always ask "How was it this time ………… ?" "Easy Bobby - If it was shite, I wouldn't want to go back but it's no trouble."

Personally, i'd miss everything about being out here, but I could get my head around it if I had to - but everyone's different.

chipbutty
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 132 times

Post by chipbutty » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:42 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:A little info about both escapees
Mr K. Hunt :D