Raith Rovers / East Fife

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Re: Raith Rovers / East Fife

Post by Bosscat » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:00 pm

houseboy wrote:Ha ha no mate but I know who you mean - that was my next door neighbour. It was a guy you wouldn't know called Tony Martin from Tottington - we had a holiday bumming around in his car for two weeks - it took in Kirkcaldy, London, Newquay, Great Yarnmouth and Woverhampton (don't ask). We did a lot of miles.
:lol: :lol: :lol: bloody hell thats a road trip m8

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:04 pm

houseboy wrote:Anglo Scottish mate - 8-0 at home and something like 5-0 away. It was a tough encounter. :lol:
It was the Texaco Cup in 1973/74 when we reached the final. We beat them 7-0 at home and 3-2 away.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7178 times

Post by Quicknick » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:43 pm

Lost 1-0 to Newcastle up there. One-legged. Hardly anyone knew it was on.

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:26 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Did you try the lobster hut in Crail Harbour CJ,I live just down the coast in Elie,it's the most beautiful peaceful place ..the east Neuk of Fife,The coastline from Elie to Crail is truly beautiful
We went for dinner to a pub/bistro on the harbour in Elie. Can't remember the name. I've also been to the Anstruther Fish and chip shop which is wonderful. When we visit the area we always stay at a farmhouse B&B in Dunino to the east of St Andrews. We've been going up there annually since 1999 to play in a golf competition at St Andrews and have our after tournament dinner in the St Andrews golf club which overlooks the 18th on the Old Course. I managed to win the trophy this year for the 2nd time :)
This user liked this post: Steve1956

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6485 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:50 am

CaptJohn wrote:We went for dinner to a pub/bistro on the harbour in Elie. Can't remember the name. I've also been to the Anstruther Fish and chip shop which is wonderful. When we visit the area we always stay at a farmhouse B&B in Dunino to the east of St Andrews. We've been going up there annually since 1999 to play in a golf competition at St Andrews and have our after tournament dinner in the St Andrews golf club which overlooks the 18th on the Old Course. I managed to win the trophy this year for the 2nd time :)
The Ship Inn,and the chippy has just won best chippy in Scotland for about the six time.

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:25 am

Steve1956 wrote:The Ship Inn,and the chippy has just won best chippy in Scotland for about the six time.
And quite rightly so. It's the best fish & chips I've ever had :D
Wonderful part of the world.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:29 am

CaptJohn wrote:And quite rightly so. It's the best fish & chips I've ever had :D
Wonderful part of the world.
It certainly is .

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:12 am

Bosscat wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: bloody hell thats a road trip m8
We were just visiting people we knew and oddly they were all spaced out (literally in some cases). The Wolverhampton thing was odd, we met a couple in Great Yarnmouth who needed a lift home and we wound up staying a day or two with them. The idea of holidaying in Wolverhampton is a bit odd.
Last edited by houseboy on Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:17 am

ClaretTony wrote:It was the Texaco Cup in 1973/74 when we reached the final. We beat them 7-0 at home and 3-2 away.
I am forever getting the Texaco and Anglo Scottish mixed up. So it's the Anglo we beat Oldham in in the final? I always thought that was the one we played East Fife and Hearts in. I now recall the final at Newcastle in the Texaco - am I right it thinking it should have been a two legged final but they changed it to one because Newcastle were in the FA Cup final (wrongly - it should have been us)?

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:46 am

Posted on the Raith forum,guess who popped up a fella Claret living in Kirkcaldy,they really are a friendly bunch and he offered to meet to show me round and have a pint,thinking of taking in the Raith v East Fife derby at the end of the month.
£16 a ticket.;)

Us Clarets get everywhere.:)
This user liked this post: Bosscat

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:52 am

houseboy wrote:I am forever getting the Texaco and Anglo Scottish mixed up. So it's the Anglo we beat Oldham in in the final? I always thought that was the one we played East Fife and Hearts in. I now recall the final at Newcastle in the Texaco - am I right it thinking it should have been a two legged final but they changed it to one because Newcastle were in the FA Cup final (wrongly - it should have been us)?
Same competition but it was sponsored by Texaco when we played East Fife (1973/74) but had no sponsor when we won it (1978/79). You are right that it should have been a two legged final and then was switched to one match at St. James' Park.
This user liked this post: houseboy

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:38 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Same competition but it was sponsored by Texaco when we played East Fife (1973/74) but had no sponsor when we won it (1978/79). You are right that it should have been a two legged final and then was switched to one match at St. James' Park.
Hated the sight of Malcolm Macdonald that season. Cost us a place in the FA Cup final. I think he scored in the Texaco final (I could be wrong there). And didn't he score the eqauliser in the last home game of the season that cost us a place in Europe? No wonder I disliked the man intensely - good player though and even faster than Kindon.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3336 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:48 pm

houseboy wrote:Hated the sight of Malcolm Macdonald that season. Cost us a place in the FA Cup final. I think he scored in the Texaco final (I could be wrong there). And didn't he score the eqauliser in the last home game of the season that cost us a place in Europe? No wonder I disliked the man intensely - good player though and even faster than Kindon.
McDonald WAS a good player and extremely quick (see Hillsborough '74 :x ), but a totally arrogant and obnoxious person tbh and yes, I'm fairly sure it was him (again) who equalised in the final match of the season and meant we missed out on Europe (on goal average?) and also wasn't it after that match that the Newcastle coach was bricked going through Brierfield and John Tudor (another good player) was badly injured? McDonald allegedly got off the bus and gave chase and couldn't catch the culprit!!! :roll: :roll: Tudor's career went downhill soon after and the 2 things may have been related? Not sure?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:12 pm

He did score that goal on the last day of the season. He then said Burnley should be told to leave the first division because we weren’t a big enough club. We stuffed them at home in the following season and MacDonald was substituted after which Bob Lord chose to comment.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3336 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:26 pm

Newcastle should never even have been in that Hillsborough semi anyway, as the quarter final should have been awarded to Forest. There was at least a degree of karma as McDonald had possibly his worst game EVER in the one sided final against Liverpool. I think he touched the ball once! And at least for a while that even shut him up!

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:57 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:Newcastle should never even have been in that Hillsborough semi anyway, as the quarter final should have been awarded to Forest. There was at least a degree of karma as McDonald had possibly his worst game EVER in the one sided final against Liverpool. I think he touched the ball once! And at least for a while that even shut him up!
Touched it once? Bloody hell thats one shite game he had,did Newcastle take the kick off?

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:32 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Touched it once? Bloody hell thats one shite game he had,did Newcastle take the kick off?
I will never forget his quote before the final mate, 'Wembley will be my stage, watch me go'. He went alright. He went missing and it was one of the most one sided finals in years, even Liverpool fans said they would have preferred us as it would have been a better game. I still recall shouting at Waldron to 'break his f*ckin leg' as he raced toward the goal at our end in the semi. Unfortunately old Colin was nowhere near quick enough or strong enough and just kind of slid down Macdonalds body. The rest is history.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:35 pm

houseboy wrote:I will never forget his quote before the final mate, 'Wembley will be my stage, watch me go'. He went alright. He went missing and it was one of the most one sided finals in years, even Liverpool fans said they would have preferred us as it would have been a better game. I still recall shouting at Waldron to 'break his f*ckin leg' as he raced toward the goal at our end in the semi. Unfortunately old Colin was nowhere near quick enough or strong enough and just kind of slid down Macdonalds body. The rest is history.
Did you go to that semi Final with Pete Whitley. God rest his soul.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:42 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Did you go to that semi Final with Pete Whitley. God rest his soul.
No - I can't remember who I was with but f*ck me Steve I didn't know Pete was gone. When was that? The last game I remember going to with Pete was a league cup tie at Aston Villa. We went in Johnny Redmonds old Humber Hawk and ran out of petrol on the way home (I think it only did about 2 miles per gallon). We lost the game as well. One of the lads who's name escapes me was messing about with the cigarette lighter and stabbing it on us, I got him back but unfortunately I think I scarred the back of his hand for life (it stuck when I stabbed it on him). He didn't half curse. Those were the days when boys would be boys and if you couldn't scar your mate for life who could you scar?

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:49 pm

houseboy wrote:No - I can't remember who I was with but f*ck me Steve I didn't know Pete was gone. When was that?
Years since Ian.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:59 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Years since Ian.
I often wonder who is still around now Steve. Was thinking after you mentioned him about Stuart Johnson and wonder if he is still around, he was older than me. Is Pete's brother Trevor still going strong? He was as tough as old boots that guy.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:05 pm

Yea Trevor is still batting,did you live on Shawfield,another guy you might remember Jimmy Lord died a few years back,do you never get over to Rossendale?