Locksmith or Joiner?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Locksmith or Joiner?

Post by LoveCurryPies » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:49 am

I'm sure someone on here will be able to advise me. I have wooden French doors and the barrel locks at the top and bottom need replacing (some have already dropped out). I suspect it might mean replacing some of the wood (the doors are 15 years old but fine). I have bought the replacement locks.

Do I need to find a local joiner or a locksmith to do the work? :shock:

ps. I'm not wanting recommendations because I'm not in Lancashire. Any idea of likely cost?

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2634 times
Has Liked: 6461 times

Re: Locksmith or Joiner?

Post by Rick_Muller » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:58 am

If you suspect wood needs replacing then you'll need a joiner/carpenter to do that, I'm sure they'll be able to work with the locks you have. In terms of cost, not sure, but probably dependant upon time to do the job - around where I am thats approx £250/day for a good carpenter.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:07 am

Sounds like it's a splicing job on your door frame
What kind of locks are they
Are they pins that lock into your door frame or single barrelled ones ?
If you have to let them into the top and bottom rails of the doors you might have to splice them
Without looking how much work is involved I couldnt say but if it's all that I've mentioned £120 to £150
If it doesn't need aĺ the work I've mentioned and it all but a change over
Then about 60 pounds
It all might sound dear and a lot wont touch a job like that as you could be there all day and the work doesn't value the money you can charge
Hope this helps
My advice would be have a go

LoveCurryPies

Post by LoveCurryPies » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:35 am

There are 4 doors in total (2 double French doors). They will need taking down for the work to be done and rehanging. I will not be doing the work myself as totally useless at this sort of thing (but pretty good with paint brush :lol: ).

Attached is photo of the door security bolt. They go at the top and bottom of each door, locking into the door frames.
Attachments
locks1_800pxl.jpg
locks1_800pxl.jpg (181.88 KiB) Viewed 1006 times

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:40 am

A joiner is needed, any joiner that does doors will be experienced with lock fitting.

Just post on a local FB community group and they will recommend.
This user liked this post: LoveCurryPies

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:13 am

Yes they are let into top and bottom rail with two setts of doors your talking 4 security bolts
If they drop straight into the original drilled out holes with no repair work that's half the job covered
But like you say you will after take two doors off to get to the bottom rail to fit your locks into the housings
it sounds like your door frame is the problem that will need splicing if you state that the bolt are protruding out of the door casing frame
their is another cheaper way round this if your handles are brush chrome or brass
get a plate made up that matches and screw this on to the casing head if its not a big smash through or rot damage

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8535 times
Has Liked: 18275 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:26 pm

As a retired Locksmith I would suggest a Joiner m8 ... especially if wood needs repairing/replacing ... also if you go down the Locksmith route DO NOT contact an agency ... make sure the advert includes a local address... most of the adverts in yellow pages or online that say "Local Locksmiths" (and have multiple phone numbers for towns in your area) are the agencies (I know I used to do subby work for them) they are a rip off for both the customer and the Locksmith... over charging for parts and labour prices....

Ask your neighbours if they have recommendations for Joiners or Locksmiths....

Hope you get sorted m8

Rackbolts are notorious for failing on external doors... but at least you have a reputable make in "Yale"

LoveCurryPies

Post by LoveCurryPies » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:58 pm

Thanks for the advice! ;)