Have you ever driven on the wrong side of the road?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Have you ever driven on the wrong side of the road?

Post by Spiral » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:56 pm

It happens. We've all done it. You go to a foreign country and drive on the wrong side of the road and you kill a teenager on a motorcycle and you tell police you will cooperate with the investigation and you contact the US authorities and flee the country and claim diplomatic immunity because your husband (not you) is a diplomat, you know? It happens. We've all done it.
This user liked this post: Bfcboyo

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Re: Have you ever driven on the wrong side of the road?

Post by thatdberight » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:00 pm

Spiral wrote:It happens. We've all done it.
This bit's almost certainly true. Makes you wonder why we administer justice on the grounds of the awful chance that it matters rather than the fact it happened.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:02 pm

Once turned left onto the left side of the road in Tenerife and into the path of a Police car. Realising my mistake, instantly, I pulled to the right, and saw the Policeman shake his head (and smile).

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:43 pm

My sister had a horrendous accident doing just this.
She had driven 250miles from Calais on the right and was used to driving abroad but she came to a ‘T’ junction turning right. There was an extremely wide cycle lane that she spotted but it caused her to lose her line for which lane she needed. She missed her lane and ended up facing oncoming traffic. No fatalities thankfully but a goodly spell banged up in hospital.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:46 pm

Spiral wrote:It happens. We've all done it. You go to a foreign country and drive on the wrong side of the road and you kill a teenager on a motorcycle and you tell police you will cooperate with the investigation and you contact the US authorities and flee the country and claim diplomatic immunity because your husband (not you) is a diplomat, you know? It happens. We've all done it.
Yea Stewart Lee we have.
This user liked this post: Damo

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:11 am

Who needs justice, or even an apology, when we can share personal anecdotes, am I right?

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3747 times
Has Liked: 7519 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:24 am

Only in France.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:55 am

Spiral wrote:Who needs justice, or even an apology, when we can share personal anecdotes, am I right?
Sorry Spiral. My point was it’s easily done. You shouldnkt have asked the question if you didn’t want a reply.
BTW. She didn’t have immunity when they took her home it was given her husband when she got there. Which by right carries over to her. “We take care of our own”

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:47 am

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was having a pop at anyone on here, Tricky Trevor. That wasn't the case. I was having a pop at Trump's admittedly and depressingly on-brand response to the issue raised about the incident and diplomatic immunity. There are reports emerging the husband wasn't a diplomat, but rather a NSA technician working alongside GCHQ, which might make this even more of a mess, but that's for later, I suspect. I feel for the lad's parents, I truly do. They feel as though their meeting with the foreign sec. was a publicity stunt, and they presumably get home and switch on the TV only to hear Trump downplay the episode. "It happens". He can't even feign compassion, showing in that press conference that he can only even begin to understand another person's suffering when it's filtered through the prism of his own experiences, so insular and narcissistic is he. He makes it about him, rather than the dead boy and his parents. Before anyone tries defending this t0sser, just imagine someone posting "it happens" on a RIP thread on this forum, for instance. Call me naïve or idealistic, and I'm well aware of the diplomatic realities at play, but he should be held to a higher standard of decency than said hypothetical random anonymous person on the internet.
These 2 users liked this post: mdd2 Tricky Trevor

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 559 times
Has Liked: 1392 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:54 am

Many years ago I had a mate who was in Kent Police, stationed in Dover and his job for two half-shifts each week was to flag down the cars that having came off the cross channel ferries, went the wrong way around the first roundabout (despite additional signs) and continued on the right/wrong, side of the road; they didn't ticket people, just set them right ie:left on 'how we do it here'. What surprised and amused him most about the task: He rarely pulled over a mainland European car, it was almost always the returning British drivers who'd got it wrong.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:52 am

Yep drove for 2 weeks in the States-no problem. Came back to UK driving on the left, turned into a side street and found myself driving on the right of the road briefly and once in Spain managed fine, negotiated a roundabout in Granada and came off driving on the left but quickly realised my error and corrected. Would have been interesting to see how far I would have travelled in Spain on an empty road as this seems to have been what this lady was doing.

timshorts
Been Liked: 410 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:39 am

I've driven on the wrong side in raf Mildenhall or maybe Lakenheath, can't remember which.
As it is effectively a US airbase, they all drive on the wrong side there even if it is in Suffolk.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 2691 times

Post by fatboy47 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:16 am

the damn roads over here are so narrow they dont have sides

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:40 am

Yes always found I have to concentrate when coming back to the UK from Europe and particularly on roundabouts. As for this lady she need bringing here to face justice.

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 647 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:28 am

Yep...When I went to my uncles place in California. He gave us a jeep to use for the holiday and when we were going down to the beach I strayed over and nearly ended up in the Ocean. So easily done if you're not used to it as muscle memory sometimes takes over..

I must have looked a right weirdo from that point on as I was constantly talking myself saying "keep right, keep right, keep right" :D

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Suratclaret » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:15 pm

Can't recall driving on the wrong side of the road but it's very common here in Thailand. Motorcycles, cars, pick up trucks and even school minibuses frequently do it so it's not surprising that there are so many accidents and people killed.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:32 pm

After stopping briefly to read a map, I once set off on the wrong side of the road in France, but quickly realised and moved over. I didn't kill anyone, but if I had, I'd have expected to be in court. (Rather than running away!)

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:44 pm

The only problem I've ever really had driving abroad is bruising my hand on the door by continuously trying to change gear with my left hand. I don't use the rear view interior mirror much either, I tend to use wing mirrors because it doesn't feel 'natural' looking right into the mirror. And why do we call driving on the right 'the wrong side of the road' when about 98% of the world drive on the right? It's us who drive on the wrong side. :lol:

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5000 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:46 pm

No, out of choice TBH I have never hired a car abroad and choose not to drive across the continent just in case.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1983 times
Has Liked: 2872 times

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:49 pm

I fully understand how the accident happened, and I have sympathy for the lady in that at least. What I don’t understand is the mindset that thinks running away deals with it. Even if America is willing to block extradition, she must be some piece of work for her to think that she has escaped this. If she can live with herself it says all you need to know, if however she is being kept on some kind of suicide watch, until it is safe to return to Britain, then that needs explaining. This could become a serious problem for the diplomats, at just the worst time possible, besides anything else.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:00 pm

Never driven on the wrong side of the road abroad, but I've done it plenty of times here.

I'm not expecting this woman to face the consequences of her actions and it's not the first time she's not paid attention whilst driving if the reports of her US driving record are true.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:08 pm

Lived in Spain and was taking directions off a co driver in the middle of Malaga centre
It was a case next left next right then left to much information flowed me in the end and I did the inevitable
Did a right turn at lights heading into on coming traffic the maneuver i had to make to correct my mistake was a site to behold

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:44 pm

Longside4evr wrote:Lived in Spain and was taking directions off a co driver in the middle of Malaga centre
It was a case next left next right then left to much information flowed me in the end and I did the inevitable
Did a right turn at lights heading into on coming traffic the maneuver i had to make to correct my mistake was a site to behold
I've driven in Malaga a few times and it is a bit awkward (but not as bad as Marbella). I could drive along that coast road all day though - love it. Was once driving from Malaga to a place near Estapona and decided to take the motorway - wound up accidentally taking the toll road and it was quite late at night. When we got to the toll booths they were shut and I remember thinking 'what the f*ck do we do now' (the barriers were down of course) and I had no change (assuming they had some coin acceptance). On closer inspection I discovered they took cards - relieved or what?

Love driving abroad though - when you get used to it it feels more natural somehow.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:37 pm

Driving abroad does feel more natural, but that's because cars are actually meant to be LHD originally so the steering wheel is more central to the seating position etc.
A RHD cars steering wheel is offset to the left slightly.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Orlando has many crashes caused by tourists driving on the wrong side of the road and even in the wrong direction of the Interstate ( motorway). My advice to Brits driving abroad is to make sure the driver is next to the central reservation or central road markings. If the driver is next to the kerb you are in big trouble. Car parks are also dangerous places to drive for visitors. This is not a defense of the American lady who clearly was at fault. Just trying to give advice to anybody driving abroad for the first time.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1778 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:30 pm

I've driven through Naples, driving on the wrong side would be instantly catastrophic.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:26 pm

houseboy wrote:The only problem I've ever really had driving abroad is bruising my hand on the door by continuously trying to change gear with my left hand. I don't use the rear view interior mirror much either, I tend to use wing mirrors because it doesn't feel 'natural' looking right into the mirror. And why do we call driving on the right 'the wrong side of the road' when about 98% of the world drive on the right? It's us who drive on the wrong side. :lol:
Japan, India, Australia, Thailand, Malaysia, and New Zealand (I think) drive on the left like us.

It's the "natural" side to drive on if your heart is to left of centre in your body.

In terms of driving, I think there's always an aclimatisation period where you have to drive with more awareness, but after a few days it becomes second nature.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:45 pm

AndrewJB wrote: In terms of driving, I think there's always an aclimatisation period where you have to drive with more awareness, but after a few days it becomes second nature.
I disagree. I think it's easy to underestimate just how much road sense you build up from living somewhere even before you drive. Particularly in somewhere like the USA where they have a much more informal approach to road infrastructure (e.g. many freeway ramps are short narrow approaches) it's easy, especially once conditions are more difficult, to make significant mistakes.
This user liked this post: AndrewJB

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:41 pm

houseboy wrote:I've driven in Malaga a few times and it is a bit awkward (but not as bad as Marbella). I could drive along that coast road all day though - love it. Was once driving from Malaga to a place near Estapona and decided to take the motorway - wound up accidentally taking the toll road and it was quite late at night. When we got to the toll booths they were shut and I remember thinking 'what the f*ck do we do now' (the barriers were down of course) and I had no change (assuming they had some coin acceptance). On closer inspection I discovered they took cards - relieved or what?

Love driving abroad though - when you get used to it it feels more natural somehow.
Yes Marbella can be murder its very difficult to negotiate the AP-7 is the coastal rd that runs from Malaga to as far a field as Algeciras load of accidents on that Rd
Drove through France down to the Costa Del Sol on numerous occasions and all over Spain once you get used to it is not that bad

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:24 pm

thatdberight wrote:I disagree. I think it's easy to underestimate just how much road sense you build up from living somewhere even before you drive. Particularly in somewhere like the USA where they have a much more informal approach to road infrastructure (e.g. many freeway ramps are short narrow approaches) it's easy, especially once conditions are more difficult, to make significant mistakes.
True. Depends on where you're coming from / going. I find it easy going back to Canada and driving, but new Canadians here often get freaked.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:11 am

AndrewJB wrote:Japan, India, Australia, Thailand, Malaysia, and New Zealand (I think) drive on the left like us.

It's the "natural" side to drive on if your heart is to left of centre in your body.

In terms of driving, I think there's always an aclimatisation period where you have to drive with more awareness, but after a few days it becomes second nature.
I think Egypt and (according to my daughter) Cyprus drive on the left as well. You're right about acclimatisation, the first day or so I have to be more vigilant then it gets easier (I still have the problem with my left hand for a little longer).

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:16 am

Longside4evr wrote:Yes Marbella can be murder its very difficult to negotiate the AP-7 is the coastal rd that runs from Malaga to as far a field as Algeciras load of accidents on that Rd
Drove through France down to the Costa Del Sol on numerous occasions and all over Spain once you get used to it is not that bad
I've done the journey through France to Morocco down through central Spain (through Madrid). Beautiful drive over the Pyrenees but central Spain is hot as hell, it's not much better than dessert. We were in a minibus that had no aircon (it was back in the 70s) and we kept having to stop for water, which warmed up within about 20 minutes. Having the windows open wasn't much help because it was like having a hairdryer on. All good fun.

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 694 times
Has Liked: 600 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:34 am

Just come back from Orlando had car while there with no issue, more problem with tolls than anything else, my cousins came down from Jacksonville and they said Orlando was one of the worst places to drive even for the yanks, I drive HGV's for a living so that may help. The woman in question would never have gone to jail a smacked wrist and a fine to not face up to what she has done is a disgrace.

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:29 am

I've done it a few times in the US, with an automatic car which means there's one less thing to think about. Although it gets easier I can never fully relax as I know if I do an absolute clanger is likely to follow, as someone mentioned old habits die hard.

Hroogar
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Hroogar » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:53 am

Drove from Dallas to Austin. in Austin turned right , which was the wrong side of the road, and straight down a one way street, unfortunately the wrong direction with large American cars coming towards me. Stopped, had no idea what to do next. As I was contemplating there was a knock on my window which was an all American cop complete with gun. After I explained he asked for my map and indicated to me which direction to go to to get to my hotel.
He more or less saluted and I set off feeling relieved. Found the freeway easily after following his directions - coasting along - then a police car hooted and indicated for me to pull over - what had I done now!! Winding my window down and taking huge gulps of air waiting to hear of my offence - the same cop apologised and said "Sorry I didn't give you your map back!)

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:47 pm

I have never, but I had some old clown in a car with foreign plates come round one of the roundabouts in Colne the wrong way driving directly at me,causing me to swerve, before he continued on his merry way, appearing to be totally oblivious of any wrongdoing