We are unique

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1991 times

We are unique

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:30 am

Good article on Sky.
https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... now-unique" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 5 users liked this post: Chester Perry boatshed bill SonofPog bfcjg Leisure

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Re: We are unique

Post by Jakubs Tash » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:40 am

I like this paragraph.....

"Of the 14 teams to have been in the Premier League for the past four seasons, Burnley have made the fewest errors leading to shots and the fewest errors leading to goals. To illustrate how damaging it can be to unsuccessfully attempt to play expansive football, Fulham made more errors leading to shots in one season than Burnley have in four. They did not last long."
These 6 users liked this post: Steve1956 Leisure evensteadiereddie Vino blanco randomclaret2 Juan Tanamera

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:16 am

That article ties in closely with these comments by Aidy Boothroyd on Dyche's flexible approach

https://trainingground.guru/articles/bo ... ll-manager" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: Tricky Trevor

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:29 am

The main benefit of passing it out from the back is that when you eventually get to the opposition's final 3rd, most of your men are up there too, so you have more attacking power, as there's been a slow build up. Whereas long/direct play means you often don't have as many there - but that also helps us, as it means we're back into position quickly.

Anybody who knows much about football should know why we play the way we do. I agree with Neville who suggests teams feel pressured into passing it out from the back. And for many teams, they aren't good enough to do it, but they do it as it looks more attractive/skillful and it'll often mean dropping points in the process.
Last edited by FactualFrank on Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6485 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:30 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:I like this paragraph.....

"Of the 14 teams to have been in the Premier League for the past four seasons, Burnley have made the fewest errors leading to shots and the fewest errors leading to goals. To illustrate how damaging it can be to unsuccessfully attempt to play expansive football, Fulham made more errors leading to shots in one season than Burnley have in four. They did not last long."
Amazing stat,I love our club.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:32 am

An excellent read. I still can't get my head around the arrogance of managers and fans of other clubs criticising another teams tactics if those tactics are working. How many times over the last few years have you heard fans moaning about our style while their team sits BELOW us in the league? We aren't City or Liverpool or any other BIG club with money to burn so we play with what we have, it's up to them to beat us or crawl away and re-think their own tactics.
These 5 users liked this post: Steve1956 Tricky Trevor tim_noone Greenmile Juan Tanamera

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:39 am

FactualFrank wrote:The main benefit of passing it out from the back is that when you eventually get to the opposition's final 3rd, most of your men are up there too, so you have more attacking power, as there's been a slow build up. Whereas long/direct play means you often don't have as many there - but that also helps us, as it means we're back into position quickly.
Agreed, but the idea of playing long is although you have less players up there in the attack the opposition also have less men back to defend. I remember back in the days of Steve Kindon we played similarly for a while and it worked a treat because he had the speed of an Olympic sprinter, even though he wasn't a particularly skillfull player. Her scored a shedful of goals simply because we played a long ball in front of him to run onto and no bugger could catch him. Style means nothing if you aren't winning but winning without style is still winning.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:43 am

Good read, but we dont chant "anti football" when the opposition hits a long pass.

It's more tongue in cheek when we are either beating the opposition, or we have played some decent stuff and we have let them off the hook or not extended our lead.
This user liked this post: Bordeauxclaret

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:48 am

Says it all really and fine if winning but horrible when losing

dsr
Been Liked: 4573 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:52 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:Says it all really and fine if winning but horrible when losing
That's true of all styles of football. I'm sure Norwich fans didn't enjoy their pretty passing against Villa last week.
These 2 users liked this post: Greenmile Quicknick

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:59 am

Accurate article. We only look vulnerable when we've got a corner of our own or a free kick up near their box. Once our shape or 'framework' isn't spot on we can look like mere mortals trying to defend as we race back, but Dyche ensures it hardly ever happens.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:08 pm

FactualFrank wrote:The main benefit of passing it out from the back is that when you eventually get to the opposition's final 3rd, most of your men are up there too, so you have more attacking power, as there's been a slow build up. Whereas long/direct play means you often don't have as many there - but that also helps us, as it means we're back into position quickly.

Anybody who knows much about football should know why we play the way we do. I agree with Neville who suggests teams feel pressured into passing it out from the back. And for many teams, they aren't good enough to do it, but they do it as it looks more attractive/skillful and it'll often mean dropping points in the process.
It's very rare you can catch a premier league team out who are set and waiting, that's why most like to play the counter attack.

We like to shoot early (all of Ashley Barnes premier league goals have come with him having two touches or less) to catch keepers out.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6447 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:05 pm

subtle reminder from SD perhaps...???
"If I went to a different club with different skill sets, trust me, I'd play a different way"

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:52 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:subtle reminder from SD perhaps...???
So, SD will leave if he gets offered the Everton job? ;)

claretburns
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:57 pm

The amount of times I have heard from friends who support other teams or opposition fans on match day after we have won a game, "Burnley are rubbish", "football is awful", "just lump it forward to the big guys up front", I always have a wry smile on my face and think if we're that rubbish and that predictable how did we win the game. I think if anything Dyche's style makes other managers look bad, you knew all last week how we were going to play against Everton and beat them comfortably in my opinion, it seems like all the world knows how Burnley are going to play in games except for the opposition managers who get schooled constantly by Dyche and his staff.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:41 pm

houseboy wrote:An excellent read. I still can't get my head around the arrogance of managers and fans of other clubs criticising another teams tactics if those tactics are working.
Or fans like Stokes who get Pulis binned cos they don’t like his brand of football and then reap what they sow.
And all those other fans who have had mangers canned for not playing the “insert team” way but have empty trophy cabinets.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:45 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:Or fans like Stokes who get Pulis binned cos they don’t like his brand of football and then reap what they sow.
And all those other fans who have had mangers canned for not playing the “insert team” way but have empty trophy cabinets.
West ham, still insist on the West ham way..... 1966 was the last time they played that way..... Everton are heading the same way

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:54 pm

MACCA wrote:Good read, but we dont chant "anti football" when the opposition hits a long pass.

It's more tongue in cheek when we are either beating the opposition, or we have played some decent stuff and we have let them off the hook or not extended our lead.
If you believe the media when Burnley play a long pass forward it's the long ball game but if City or Liverpool or any of the big six do it (or West Ham) it's suddenly becomes an incisive forward pass. Bias is a strange thing ain't it?
These 4 users liked this post: Leisure GodIsADeeJay81 Juan Tanamera Quicknick

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:08 pm

houseboy wrote:If you believe the media when Burnley play a long pass forward it's the long ball game but if City or Liverpool or any of the big six do it (or West Ham) it's suddenly becomes an incisive forward pass. Bias is a strange thing ain't it?

Not really as Liverpool and City will play far fewer, often to a player rather than into an area or space like we do.

We turn teams around to ease pressure and win throw ins etc in the final 3rd.

It's part of the game plan.
We cant pretend we dont play long ball as we clearly do.

But it's not going to change anytime soon, that's what we do, and we do it well.

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:18 pm

Liverpool in particular seem to have Mane & Salah chasing balls over the top quite regularly.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:05 pm

There's a lot to be said, if you are a relatively poor club financially, in doing something different from the rest. If you try and sign players who can play the way everyone else plays, then you don't get the best ones. If you try and sign players who play a different way, you can get players like Mee and Tarkowski who the other teams don't want. Mee, in particular, is one of the very best at what he does; if we tried to replace him with the ball-playing John Stones type, we would probably get perhaps the 40th best ball-playing centre half in the league.
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill Clarets4me

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:56 pm

"If I went to a different club with different skill sets, trust me I'd play a different way"
SD must really like himself
He could have brought in players with different skill sets here couldn't he ?
Also, not the best comment for our players to read, given this could feel like a put down of their own personal footballing skills
Absolutely no doubt, he has done a great job at Burnley, but I haven't seen any evidence of moving this club on from his long ball tactics in all his time here
Outside of this club I would think most people put him in the Allardyce/Pulis bracket
If he is looking to promote himself to potential "bigger" clubs he has to walk not talk
And not make comments like the one above

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:00 pm

We don't play long ball all the time though...

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 194 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:09 pm

No one likes us"..............

I don’t care...................

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:29 pm

Anti Football
Na na na nana
Anti Football
Na na na nana
Anti Football
Na na na nana
Anti Football
Na na na nana

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1041 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by MrTopTier » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:37 pm

if we tried to replace him with the ball-playing John Stones type, we would probably get perhaps the 40th best ball-playing centre half in the league.
So we'd end up with John Stones then :lol:
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller dsr

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:38 pm

jojomk1 wrote:"If I went to a different club with different skill sets, trust me I'd play a different way"
Also, not the best comment for our players to read, given this could feel like a put down of their own personal footballing skills
Absolutely no doubt, he has done a great job at Burnley, but I haven't seen any evidence of moving this club on from his long ball tactics in all his time here
Outside of this club I would think most people put him in the Allardyce/Pulis bracket
If he is looking to promote himself to potential "bigger" clubs he has to walk not talk
We won’t pay the transfer fees or the salaries of players with the quality to play that style of football SUCCESSFULLY. We are who we are and he knows it. It is working don’t try and fix it.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:19 pm

jojomk1 wrote:"If I went to a different club with different skill sets, trust me I'd play a different way"
Look at how Everton are doing. They play more passing football, and at present aren't playing it very well - but they have spent the money to get the players who can (or apparently can't) do it.

I saw on one of their message boards, a thread assessing whether their players who cost £20m or more were successes or failures. Do you know how many £20m+ players they have got? 16 (Sixteen), as the teleprinter might say.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:24 pm

I'm trying to think of the last time a 'long ball' directly led to a goal for us.

Unless they're turning their noses up at crosses into the box now as well.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:26 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:Or fans like Stokes who get Pulis binned cos they don’t like his brand of football and then reap what they sow.
Again, Stoke finished consistently higher in the Premier League after potting Pulis. He’s a dinosaur who they were right to want to see the back of.

FWIW, Dyche is nothing like Pulis.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:50 am

Consistently higher, but only a couple of places higher, right up until it all went pear shaped and now they're nailed.to the bottom of the championship.

If a change in manager had led to them pushing for a European spot then it would've been worth it, but it didn't and now they're worse off and it was rumoured recently they were considering hiring him again.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:08 am

Question is, if we reduce possession in our own half so much how does Ben Mee keep making mistakes?

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:43 am

SD must really like himself....
What, like taking us up twice, keeping us up multiple times and getting us into Europe? On a considerably smaller budget at a small unfashionable club? Making us hundreds of millions and funding a state of the art training centre?

He's not exactly been unsuccessful has he? And he's not running his mouth either. Jeez!
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:48 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Consistently higher, but only a couple of places higher, right up until it all went pear shaped and now they're nailed.to the bottom of the championship.

If a change in manager had led to them pushing for a European spot then it would've been worth it, but it didn't and now they're worse off and it was rumoured recently they were considering hiring him again.
That was nothing to do with changing the style of play though. Changing the style/manager resulted in consistently higher placed finishes three years running. Bad recruitment took them to the bottom of the Championship. And it appears they were justified re Pulis when you look at his record at West Brom and Boro. Bored of fans being blamed for wanting to see more than functional, inane football week in, week out, as inferred in the original post I quoted.

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:52 am

I think it's the opposite actually, teams play out from the back to invite a high press, so if you can pass through the press then you can be quickly onto their back four with the team out of shape. Very hard to do, only City can do it successfully.
These 2 users liked this post: Jakubs Tash BOYSIE31

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:12 am

AndyClaret wrote:I think it's the opposite actually, teams play out from the back to invite a high press, so if you can pass through the press then you can be quickly onto their back four with the team out of shape. Very hard to do, only City can do it successfully.
Agreed. And this is where the phrase, "Beat the press", comes from.

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:11 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:We won’t pay the transfer fees or the salaries of players with the quality to play that style of football SUCCESSFULLY. We are who we are and he knows it. It is working don’t try and fix it.
I agree except would say cant pay the transfer fees and wages rather wont

Look how many clubs have spent fortunes trying to build a team that play the 'Premier League way' and have failed

Given our financial resources we will never have an expansive team in the Premier League

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:40 am

dsr wrote:That's true of all styles of football. I'm sure Norwich fans didn't enjoy their pretty passing against Villa last week.
But I prefer to watch football played on the grass.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:42 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:Liverpool in particular seem to have Mane & Salah chasing balls over the top quite regularly.

There are long balls over to feet or for people to run onto and there are aimless balls pumped anywhere - the latter is mainly us

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:46 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:But I prefer to watch football played on the grass.
Aye volleys smashing into the back of the net are boring. We should be playing those corners along the grass and doing a series of dummies and fancy flicks - it would be super viewing
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 BFCmaj

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:02 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:But I prefer to watch football played on the grass.
And I prefer it played in the penalty area. Preferably the opposition penalty area, of course - but pretty passing in midfield and at the back is very easy to get bored with, unless done very well and as a means to get it into the penalty area.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:02 am

4-4-2 from a small club in La Liga is also causing serious upset - a bit different to how we do it, but the commitment and application is winding up the entitled teams/fans - Getafe from TIFO Footbal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMN86nH1vuI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:57 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:There are long balls over to feet or for people to run onto and there are aimless balls pumped anywhere - the latter is mainly us
Aimless balls pumped anywhere? Wow. Bit of an extreme and baffling view.

Do you not think if we just played "aimless balls pumped anywhere" that we would be found out at this level and just end up losing heavily every week?
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:00 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:Because its my club but would also like to actually watch football sometimes.

As Mr Clough once said : If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there. :D ;)
“My club”....my arse
Seriously why do you spend so much time and money doing something you don’t enjoy ?
Why would you just not stop watching / following them until they get rid of the manager and bring in someone who will play the kind of football that you seem to think is “proper football” ?

Truth of the matter is that “fans” like you will always find something to complain about - and you absolutely love doing it. Don’t you think that we have all sat next to fans like you ? They are never happier than when they are complaining.
We had someone near us who for years spent the whole game tearing into Robbie Blake. And more recently there was another bloke who hated Danny Ings and criticised him for the whole of that promotion season when he was voted the leagues best player....he was gutted when Ings left as he then needed to find someone else to shout at to fulfil his need to be unhappy at the game and seek attention.
These 3 users liked this post: simonclaret GodIsADeeJay81 Greenmile

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:04 pm

TVC15 wrote:“My club”....my arse
Seriously why do you spend so much time and money doing something you don’t enjoy ?
Why would you just not stop watching / following them until they get rid of the manager and bring in someone who will play the kind of football that you seem to think is “proper football” ?

Truth of the matter is that “fans” like you will always find something to complain about - and you absolutely love doing it. Don’t you think that we have all sat next to fans like you ? They are never happier than when they are complaining.
We had someone near us who for years spent the whole game tearing into Robbie Blake. And more recently there was another bloke who hated Danny Ings and criticised him for the whole of that promotion season when he was voted the leagues best player....he was gutted when Ings left as he then needed to find someone else to shout at to fulfil his need to be unhappy at the game and seek attention.
And you won't see any of those type of players in a Dyche team sadly

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:07 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:And you won't see any of those type of players in a Dyche team sadly
Steven Defour?

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:22 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:And you won't see any of those type of players in a Dyche team sadly
What type of players ?
Danny Ings ?
Nah he would never get in a Dyche team.
Stay off the hooch eh

chipbutty
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 132 times

Post by chipbutty » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:45 am

Burnley are probably in their best position ever, ever. And some fans don`t realise that Sean Dyche has lots of reasons to like himself around here!

dsr

Post by dsr » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:52 am

chipbutty wrote:Burnley are probably in their best position ever, ever. And some fans don`t realise that Sean Dyche has lots of reasons to like himself around here!
Last Sunday, I asked myself the question "do I want Newcastle to lose to Man United because they are at the bottom of the league, or do I want them to win so we can stay ahead of Man United". And then I thought "what a nonsensical question that would have been at any time in my Burnley-supporting career". And then I thought "there can't be any of our fans unhappy with the club and management as it is now".

And then ...

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:24 pm

I love watching Burnley under Dyche. I love the fact that we have found a way of playing that can make life really difficult for - and sometimes beat - the bigger clubs, and I love even more listening to them whinge about it afterwards.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat BFCmaj