We are unique

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Re: We are unique

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:46 am

I think it would be good for Dyche to try another club as although he has done a good job here it would prove if he can play in more than one way. He has spent the most money of any burnley manager but we don’t play very expansive football. We play some good stuff sometimes but it seems like the players are instructed to play in a very limited way.

Occasionally we will score a goal fully played on the ground but that seems to be done against instructions. Our football reminds me of a slightly upgraded Pulis or Allardyce.

Until our style improves I can’t see any of the top ten appointing Dyche.
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:51 pm

The top 10 are usually the same 6 clubs nailed into the top 6 spots, every so often a season might produce something different like Leicester, but it rarely changes.

7-10 changes pretty much every season nowadays, even Everton are no longer the expected 7th club.

He's made a style that suits the club and it's financial position.
If he went to a richer club I'd expect him to produce a different style, but he'd also expect a certain amount of control at another club and there aren't many, if any, that would give him the same control that he gets here.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:57 pm

Giftonsnoidea wrote:I think it would be good for Dyche to try another club as although he has done a good job here it would prove if he can play in more than one way. He has spent the most money of any burnley manager but we don’t play very expansive football. We play some good stuff sometimes but it seems like the players are instructed to play in a very limited way.

Occasionally we will score a goal fully played on the ground but that seems to be done against instructions. Our football reminds me of a slightly upgraded Pulis or Allardyce.

Until our style improves I can’t see any of the top ten appointing Dyche.
I certainly don't remember Dyche carrying on from the sidelines because we've scored a goal against his instructions. ;) Is that really what you mean?

The point of our "long ball" reputation is that our defenders are told that their first priority is not to give goals away. If in doubt, kick it out. Better to welly it up the field and have a 75% chance of losing the ball than to play a pass on the edge of your own box and have a 10% chance of losing the ball. Safety first. Don't make mistakes.

icu81b4
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by icu81b4 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:28 pm

If the opposition has 11 players on the pitch costing millions, then even their midfield can't stop a ball 20ft in the air.

It's horses for courses I think with SD, I didn't think the game last week was fun to watch but we won, Had we played the same way as we did against Norwich, continuesly pressing and playing close we might have lost.

As long as we win more than we lose, I don't care how I'm happy.
UTC

BFCmaj
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 2107 times

Post by BFCmaj » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:54 pm

scouseclaret wrote:I love watching Burnley under Dyche. I love the fact that we have found a way of playing that can make life really difficult for - and sometimes beat - the bigger clubs, and I love even more listening to them whinge about it afterwards.
I love watching how we defend as a team. I love watching how we attack as a team and how every part of the team knows exactly what they should be doing in whatever circumstance they are in. The way Dyche has them set up is a thing to behold. It’s like a well oiled machine at times.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:18 pm

BFCmaj wrote:I love watching how we defend as a team. I love watching how we attack as a team and how every part of the team knows exactly what they should be doing in whatever circumstance they are in. The way Dyche has them set up is a thing to behold. It’s like a well oiled machine at times.
#me too :D
These 2 users liked this post: Down_Rover BFCmaj

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:43 pm

2-3 more years of it and you will soon get bored

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:48 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:2-3 more years of it and you will soon get bored
“Soon”....as in 2-3 years will mean 10 years of SD ?
Is that your definition of soon ?

I think we’ll all be fine cheers - you carry on hating him though eh

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:48 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:2-3 more years of it and you will soon get bored
Not if we are top half PL.

PS you have a very long definition of “soon”

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:25 pm

tim_noone wrote:#me too :D
#metoo :D

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:27 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:
2-3 more years of it and you will soon get bored

To coin a Steve-ism KNOB :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:12 pm

BFCmaj wrote:I love watching how we defend as a team. I love watching how we attack as a team and how every part of the team knows exactly what they should be doing in whatever circumstance they are in. The way Dyche has them set up is a thing to behold. It’s like a well oiled machine at times.
Bang on. Well said BFCmaj. There was a brilliant column in the i newspaper a couple of years ago that compared our team and how the players moved to a living, breathing organism with each part linked to the other instinctively. The intensity of games at the Turf Is unreal and I cant get my head round people criticising SD’s alleged style. “Mixed football” and “ finding different ways to win”..... yes please.
This user liked this post: BFCmaj

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:28 pm

Reading back through this thread I find it odd that many people seem to forget that we have lost only two games in the PL this season so far - one to Liverpool who will beat most teams this season anyway and the other very unfortunately away to Arsenal, where we did actually play good football but only hit the net once out of about 18 attempts. We should have also have had 3 points at Wolves but for that unfortunate late penalty. Whatever our 'style' is (and it's not all long ball) it is WORKING and other fans and managers are getting seriously p!ssed off because they can't find a way to beat it (mostly). All they can do is criticise it out of frustration and the fact that they feel superior in some way.

We grind out results and at this level with the players we have that is remarkable in itself. Sure we'd all like to watch Barcelona every week but until we get a sugar daddy funding us to a ridiculous degree we have to utilise what we have and that is what Sean Dyche is a genius at. Watch our set pieces and tell me we are not up there with the best when it comes to those. Unless Messi and Ronaldo become available on a free (assuming we could pay the wages) we are what we are, people should accept that.