El Camino

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
HieronymousBoschHobs
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Re: El Camino

Post by HieronymousBoschHobs » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:04 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:Dont worry its so dull that nowhere near enough happens to come close to tainting any good memories you may hold for BB
Completely disagree (SPOILERS following in case anyone hasn't watched it yet) and I'm quite surprised by some of the reaction on here. I wasn't expecting much since I thought Better Call Saul was fairly weak: good secondary character in the series and well acted, but not nearly enough there for two series - plus, the wranglings of the legal profession aren't nearly as interesting to me as a middle American meth empire. However, I thought this was a really well done feature-length epilogue (they've called it a movie but I doubt it could really stand on its own two feet).

Epilogues always risk being unsatisfying: in my experience they are quite common in older fiction, with authors using them to tie up the loose ends, but nowadays it seems more common to have a hanging conclusion which leaves the audience wondering. This one worked for me because Jesse was always the secondary character in the show. Walter White was the protagonist, he was the one who was most obviously 'breaking bad', and the show really hinged on his gradual descent into darkness. The focus of the final episode was on ending his character arc, not Jesse's; the latter's release was only really important in relation to our final perception of Walter White, who chose to save his life at the final moment thus finally releasing him from his torment and so redeeming himself somewhat. After that, we were only given a brief glimpse of Jesse being emotionally and literally released - it was just about enough, but, by the end, he was a far more sympathetic character than Walter and I think giving him a happy ending makes a lot of sense.

As for the episode/film itself: I thought they did a good job of capturing the trauma of Jesse's abuse and imprisonment (maybe this is why people are saying it is slow?). There was also some nice tension and a good twist when he went to look for the money and I thought the Tarantino-esque revenge he got at the end was really satisfying. Overall, 4 stars from this Roger Ebert-wannabe.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:40 am

Granny WeatherWax wrote:BB was awful. Didn’t get past series 2.
It’s all a matter of taste ( as the cat said when it licked the dogs arse) Though can’t deny I found it superb . That said these “ box set dictators” can get very touchy if you don’t like a particular show they slavered over .

Fretters
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 549 times

Post by Fretters » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:17 am

Finally just watched this. Been avoiding the thread until now.

It's quite slow but, personally, I enjoy slow burners with good dialogue. The revenge scene was great and I loved seeing Walt again. A nice tie-up to Jesse's story.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 357 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:26 am

I’ve watched it a few weeks ago. I’ve settled on that it wasn’t necessary. Nothing needed explaining after the finale episode

I was hoping it would attach itself to (the superior) Better Call Saul, but it’s seems separate to it.

As much as I enjoyed it and I agree, I holds up to the series, I don’t think they should’ve bothered, but some fans wanted to know what happened to Jessie - and that’s what they got - I didn’t want to know really unless it was important to the potential of more to come.