Hampstead Claret RIP

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Re: Hampstead Claret RIP

Post by tim_noone » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:23 pm

Siddo wrote:Met him a few weeks ago in the Bridge. He was with some friends of mine and said, "excuse me, and I apologize for asking, but do you post on up the Clarets?" I said I might do.....he said "are you called Siddo?" I was absolutely gobsmacked and we then started talking about our posts and how we posted mainly for a laugh and that we did admit to sometimes trying to wind certain people up. I remember telling him he was a legend, but now I will never know how he knew I was "Siddo".
R.I.P. mate you really were a legend on here and will be remembered by a lot of posters in posts of the future.
if your mates knew.... He'll have known....and I bet you drank in the Waterloo in the seventies :D I'll know your by your real name ...but not Siddo.
This user liked this post: Siddo

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:26 pm

Been thinking about hampstead all day. Seems strange being so touched by the passing of a person I do not think I have ever met.
Had a few disagreements with him on here and been fully agreed with him on many points.
I feel incredibly sad that I wont read his opinions again.
I've had a couple of beers tonight, and I'm sorry if I come across as being overly sentimental when I say this, but to anyone that I have disagreed/argued/rubbed up the wrong way/seemed offended by something they have posted. I value every single contribution and reply that every single one of you make. Even if I dont agree with it. Peace and love to all
These 32 users liked this post: tim_noone Lancasterclaret Stalbansclaret crundale mdd2 Wile E Coyote nil_desperandum PhiladelphiaChris fatboy47 dougcollins Rick_Muller Clarets4me CrosspoolClarets quoonbeatz Siddo mybloodisclaret Quicknick Buxtonclaret dermotdermot bfcjg MrTopTier longsidepies Andingle jrtod61 Lord Beamish Dark Cloud Chuckypad Reb BOYSIE31 Foshiznik JohnMcGreal ClaretTony

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:49 pm

Damo wrote:Been thinking about hampstead all day. Seems strange being so touched by the passing of a person I do not think I have ever met.
Had a few disagreements with him on here and been fully agreed with him on many points.
I feel incredibly sad that I wont read his opinions again.
I've had a couple of beers tonight, and I'm sorry if I come across as being overly sentimental when I say this, but to anyone that I have disagreed/argued/rubbed up the wrong way/seemed offended by something they have posted. I value every single contribution and reply that every single one of you make. Even if I dont agree with it. Peace and love to all
Possibly one the finest things ever posted on here Damo.

Fair play mate.

Just glad for people like Hampstead that they got to see the clarets back in the top league.
These 5 users liked this post: Stalbansclaret mdd2 Damo Clarets4me jrtod61

cricketfield73
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 440 times

Post by cricketfield73 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:24 pm

Very sad news, his music threads were a fabulous contribution to the forum.
RIP Hampstead, a great poster.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:29 pm

Siddo wrote:Met him a few weeks ago in the Bridge. He was with some friends of mine and said, "excuse me, and I apologize for asking, but do you post on up the Clarets?" I said I might do.....he said "are you called Siddo?" I was absolutely gobsmacked and we then started talking about our posts and how we posted mainly for a laugh and that we did admit to sometimes trying to wind certain people up. I remember telling him he was a legend, but now I will never know how he knew I was "Siddo".
R.I.P. mate you really were a legend on here and will be remembered by a lot of posters in posts of the future.
that's a nice memory to have siddo,
I think I crossed swords with him once or twice on here, but I liked his posts too.
This user liked this post: Siddo

yTib
Been Liked: 704 times
Has Liked: 657 times

Post by yTib » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:49 pm

we had our moments but largely agreed.

i never met him, didn't know his name or what he looked like but i am genuinely upset by this.

farewell pal.
These 3 users liked this post: tim_noone Damo dermotdermot

Brucefanclaret
Been Liked: 203 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Brucefanclaret » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:16 pm

Very sorry to hear this. RIP from one Bruce fan to another.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2561 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:44 pm

Crikey, what sad news. Often really sound, sometimes a bit of a bell (cos he was so easy to wind up), but always one of the real characters on here and the previous board.

RIP.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:48 pm

I understand from reading the " runes ", that Hampstead was a good mate of one of our close friends, who was at St.Teds with him in the 1970's ..

The last two interactions I found between us was a post with him gently chiding me for " moving to the right " politically, but within a week, was thanking me profusely for posting " A Black and White Night ", the Roy Orbison TV Special, which he'd not seen before, and had much enjoyed ..

I cannot remember him once lapsing into name calling or abuse, even with those with whom he profoundly disagreed, and he always seemed prepared to listen to other points of view .... this board will be much the poorer for his passing ...

RIP Hampstead !
Last edited by Clarets4me on Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Wile E Coyote

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:55 pm

crundale wrote:Thanks for all of the above. Michael died last night from cancer here in Burnley, amongst his family who loved him dearly. As was his wish. He was 62 and was indeed a St Ted's lad. He could be irrascible and certainly opinionated, and frequently told off by his family for being so. He was also thoroughly decent, caring, funny and the best bloke I knew to share a drink with. We will miss him dreadfully.
That definitely describes the poster i remember on here. Think we had a few debates. Especialy about london.

Sad to read. Condolences to those closest to him. Rip.

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:01 pm

tim_noone wrote:if your mates knew.... He'll have known....and I bet you drank in the Waterloo in the seventies :D I'll know your by your real name ...but not Siddo.
Hi Tim. My mates didn't know my utc name, in fact they aren't football fans, so I have no idea how he knew me.
Only 2 people know my real name on here, Basil 6345789 and Bob the Scutter, but you have sussed me, but even with your previous clues I haven't guessed who you are....yet.
Hamps will be grinning away in heaven as I will never know how he knew me.

Rumbletonk
Been Liked: 313 times
Has Liked: 285 times

Post by Rumbletonk » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:08 pm

Seemed a decent sort. RIP Hamstead

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:08 pm

Siddo wrote:Hi Tim. My mates didn't know my utc name, in fact they aren't football fans, so I have no idea how he knew me.
Only 2 people know my real name on here, Basil 6345789 and Bob the Scutter, but you have sussed me, but even with your previous clues I haven't guessed who you are....yet.
Hamps will be grinning away in heaven as I will never know how he knew me.
Yes...bob the scutter who worked at the reform club....I can only think it's ants?? I knew every one who worked there from Burnley. The poster above your last post is my son :D no more clues now.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:15 pm

Sad news. I had a few disagreements with Hampstead on here, frequently about dogs and their owners following a report of a dog attacking a child. Always seemed a decent bloke. RIP Hampstead

Clevedon Claret
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 932 times
Location: Where Broadchurch is filmed or on the Orihuela Costa

Post by Clevedon Claret » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:15 pm

RIP Hampstead.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:20 pm

tim_noone wrote:Yes...bob the scutter who worked at the reform club....I can only think it's ants?? I knew every one who worked there from Burnley. The poster above your last post is my son :D no more clues now.
Not like you to be so shy, Tim ! :lol:

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:23 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Not like you to be so shy, Tim ! :lol:
No comment.... :D

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:24 pm

Had a real ding dong with him about Ireland and the troubles. He didn't like me after that.

Peace be with him and condolences to his family.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:38 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:Had a real ding dong with him about Ireland and the troubles. He didn't like me after that.

I recall and started that thred "apologies" it was regards the paras Leader General Kitson.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:23 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:Had a real ding dong with him about Ireland and the troubles. He didn't like me after that.
I'll be honest - I didn't get on with him either, but he was a Burnley fan and he'll be remembered as a Burnley fan.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:26 am

R.I.P. Hampstead

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1208 times
Has Liked: 7098 times

Post by Quicknick » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:30 am

Very sad news indeed. I enjoyed reading HC's posts; thoughtful, provocative. Always sad to lose a claret.

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:33 am

tim_noone wrote:Yes...bob the scutter who worked at the reform club....I can only think it's ants?? I knew every one who worked there from Burnley. The poster above your last post is my son :D no more clues now.
No, not Ants! You've got me thinking now mate. I thought I had identified you last night until you mentioned your lad. Grrrr!

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 965 times

Post by MrTopTier » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:35 am

Sad news indeed.

A poster who divides opinion is never a bad thing for such a popular message board. Who could ever forget the Coterie thread, classic thread that made for uncomfortable reading and hilarity in equal measure.

Always looked forward to the music threads, we shared much common ground, Bruce Springsteen, the war on drugs to name but two.
However was always worried when he posted a music stars name for obvious reasons.

I am another who only knew him through this board, sincere condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Hampstead
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

Eloise Laws
Been Liked: 321 times
Has Liked: 247 times

Post by Eloise Laws » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:56 am

I didn't know Hampstead, but it's always sad to read of the passing of a Claret...especially one who goes too soon. RIP, and condolences to his family and friends.

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:01 am

Hampstead for me represented what was good about the UTC messageboard. I didn't know him other than through the music threads he instigated on the messageboard His music tastes were very similar to my own and I'd have loved the opportunity to talk music with him.

A big loss to UTC . RIP Hampstead. You'll be greatly missed on here!

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:16 am

the_magic_rat wrote:Hampstead for me represented what was good about the UTC messageboard. I didn't know him other than through the music threads he instigated on the messageboard His music tastes were very similar to my own and I'd have loved the opportunity to talk music with him.

A big loss to UTC . RIP Hampstead. You'll be greatly missed on here!
I've eventually twigged your moniker, " the magic rat ", Jungleland ! Hampstead would have appreciated that !!

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:43 am

:) That's me C4m! I know Hampstead, like St. Albans and quite a few others on here, was a big Bruce fan, as demonstrated by the 70th birthday thread.
This user liked this post: Stevie2112

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6416 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:57 am

A reminder of our certain mortality, I argued a few times with Hampstead on political threads but I always respected his opinion and often learnt from it. I never met you in person, but I know we would have got along.

RIP Hampstead, you'll be missed on here for sure.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:37 pm

the_magic_rat wrote::) That's me C4m! I know Hampstead, like St. Albans and quite a few others on here, was a big Bruce fan, as demonstrated by the 70th birthday thread.
Long may you continue to " drive your slick machine, over the Jersey state line " .... ;)

Stevie2112
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 473 times

Post by Stevie2112 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:58 pm

Just seen a facebook post,which has confirmed for me who HC was.A member of a great family,and i now he will have been in great hands until the end.Again,love and best wishes to all the family.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:36 pm

Very sad news when someone dies so young. I don't know whether I knew Hampstead or not but as I am 64 and also went to St Teds it is highly likely.

Bcap1959
Been Liked: 11 times
Has Liked: 494 times

Post by Bcap1959 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:55 pm

Sorry to hear this. Very rarely post but always read Hampstead’s posts. RIP Hampstead

Reb
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by Reb » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:14 pm

Really sorry to hear this, I am an infrequent poster these days, but Hampstead was always someone who's opinion I was interested to read.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:31 pm

Goodness Hamps no longer with us that was a shock . Always liked his posts .

Marsdenclaret
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Marsdenclaret » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:19 am

Hampstead Claret was a close and lifelong personal friend of mine. He loved his hometown and team all the time living in London as a teacher at University College Hampstead and in St Albans before retiring albeit briefly back to Burnley.
He loved interacting with posters on here every day and loved the craic. Sometimes you would miss trains because Hampstead was doing one last reply to a post before leaving for a match! He had just had his 64th Birthday when his short illness took him. Very very, unfair we all thought. He was dry, funny, satirical and had a great way with words. He was easy to wind up to boiling point at which a number of us would collapse laughing and then twenty minutes later it was all forgotten. His knowledge of all things music was legendary with Springsteen being his favourite performer. He had been to over a dozen shows over the years and always loved them. Nothing gave him greater pride than watching his beloved Clarets all over the country. He travelled up for most home games and saw every game Burnley played in the southern regions when he could. I know he had many friends and posters that he loved conversing with on here and it was an enormous part of his life that brought him a lot of joy.
On behalf of his closest friends and family I would like to thank you all for the all the wonderful tributes that you have posted on here on the passing of our good mate Hampstead Claret. A legend to many a friend to so many more.

U.T.C.

Thanks.

marsden claret
These 18 users liked this post: CleggHall conyoviejo Buxtonclaret fatboy47 Goddy Rick_Muller Lord Beamish Swizzlestick mdd2 yTib Tricky Trevor Darnhill Claret Damo Dark Cloud cricketfieldclarets JohnMcGreal HunterST_BFC Dublin_Claret

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:26 am

Many thanks for that Marsden, it fills in the gaps for many of us who "knew Hampstead" but didn't really know him!

Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:22 pm

RIP Hampstead condolences to your loved ones UTC!

Gp8419
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by Gp8419 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:57 pm

Rip to him a legend of this board! I am less than half his age and trust me they don’t make characters like him no more.He will be missed.Just a thought as I am sure all of his loved ones will be made aware by now,but would it be possible for them in the know to share his name now? Seems like quite a few are guessing they knew him and probably would? R.i.p mate
This user liked this post: crundale

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:06 pm

Clarets4me wrote:I cannot remember him once lapsing into name calling or abuse, even with those with whom he profoundly disagreed, and he always seemed prepared to listen to other points of view .... this board will be much the poorer for his passing ...

RIP Hampstead !
Me and Hampstead had some feisty discussions and a few ding-dongs - we're at opposite sides of the political divide.

We sometimes exchanged "frank" opinions and, at first, we seemed to get under each other's skin. But as time wore on, there was a deep respect for each other and we learned to get along and disagree well, which is tricky on the internet.

I looked forward to his posts and he came across as warm and genuine. The measure of his character is that although he disliked my politics he was always warm and friendly on music or football threads.

The warmth of feeling for him here is very evident. I never met him in RL or knew his name but I'm sure he was the kind of guy who it would have been a pleasure to share a pint with.

He'll be sorely missed. I miss him posting on here already and it's incredibly sad.

Everybody got the feeling that he was a nice, genuine and passionate man.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends.
These 4 users liked this post: fatboy47 Rick_Muller Stalbansclaret Clarets4me

crundale
Been Liked: 96 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by crundale » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:26 pm

Rowls thanks for that. My brother was called Michael Collins. Quite a large family. Irish hereditary, mostly still about Burnley. We used to tell him off over his obstreperous responses to you and a few others. If you had met him and had a drink together I reckon you would have enjoyed his company and he would have enjoyed yours.
These 4 users liked this post: Rowls Clarets4me Stevie2112 nil_desperandum

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:39 pm

crundale wrote:Rowls thanks for that. My brother was called Michael Collins. Quite a large family. Irish hereditary, mostly still about Burnley. We used to tell him off over his obstreperous responses to you and a few others. If you had met him and had a drink together I reckon you would have enjoyed his company and he would have enjoyed yours.
I'm confident we'd have got on well crundale. I'd have loved to meet him properly.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
This user liked this post: crundale

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:59 pm

crundale wrote:Rowls thanks for that. My brother was called Michael Collins. Quite a large family. Irish hereditary, mostly still about Burnley. We used to tell him off over his obstreperous responses to you and a few others. If you had met him and had a drink together I reckon you would have enjoyed his company and he would have enjoyed yours.
" crundale ", our friend is Ian Doney, who I believe knew your brother well, I don't know if you're younger or older than Michael, but you may remember the late Mick Clancy, who died at a very young age. Mrs Clarets4me is his sister ...

Our thoughts are with you all ...

crundale
Been Liked: 96 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by crundale » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:04 pm

Clarets4me. I was at school with Dale. Another lad who left far too early. And yes, Ian was a good mate of Micky. My best wishes.
This user liked this post: Clarets4me

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:02 pm

Crundale, please pass on my sympathies. I only knew Michael by sight at school but knew one of his brothers a little better. (That one would be 59/60ish) Like everyone else, I read and enjoyed many of HampsteadClaret's music and football related posts.

Clarets4me, I was thinking of Mick Clancy earlier this afternoon while dog walking. We had a forum thread remembering him back in 2012, even though he died many years earlier. Gone but will never forgotten!

Earlier this year, I heard Neil Tomlinson had died. Another good school friend.

ps. I was in the same class as Ian Doney and Tom Pickles.
This user liked this post: Clarets4me

CaptainKirk
Been Liked: 385 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by CaptainKirk » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:08 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:Crundale, please pass on my sympathies. I only knew Michael by sight at school but knew one of his brothers a little better. (That one would be 59/60ish) Like everyone else, I read and enjoyed many of HampsteadClaret's music and football related posts.

Clarets4me, I was thinking of Mick Clancy earlier this afternoon while dog walking. We had a forum thread remembering him back in 2012, even though he died many years earlier. Gone but will never forgotten!

Earlier this year, I heard Neil Tomlinson had died. Another good school friend.

ps. I was in the same class as Ian Doney and Tom Pickles.
I think you mean Steve Doney?

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:19 pm

CaptainKirk wrote:I think you mean Steve Doney?
You are correct! :lol:

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:19 pm

Mick was the same year as Ian Doney

I once remember Mick featuring in the audience of 'Question Time' which probably won't surprise readers of the board.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Marsdenclaret

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:26 pm

RIP Hampstead

Condolences to all friends and family x

basil6345789
Been Liked: 481 times
Has Liked: 2289 times

Post by basil6345789 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:37 pm

Just realised that we have now lost 2 good Burnley lads, both named Mick Collins, in recent months.