England tonight

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Re: England tonight

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:22 am

Winks was superb.

I mean, Bulgaria completely collapsed but Winks ran that midfield

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1813 times
Has Liked: 1794 times

Post by dougcollins » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:50 pm

Mr Southgate's demeanour was exemplary, full credit to him.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:53 pm

Thought the England team and Manager came across very well including Tyrone Mings. Wasn’t sure about him playing for England but he played well and managed the situation well.

The idiot doing the nazi salute should be named shamed and jailed. If he had done that in Germany he would have 6 months immediately. I would make him publicly explain why he supports a regime that was barbaric in maiming and murdering innocent people in the most twisted manners possible or if he really doesn’t that he is just plain stupid. Surely he can’t be employable or have a family.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2218 times
Has Liked: 2205 times

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:55 pm

Blackrod wrote:Thought the England team and Manager came across very well including Tyrone Mings. Wasn’t sure about him playing for England but he played well and managed the situation well.

The idiot doing the nazi salute should be named shamed and jailed. If he had done that in Germany he would have 6 months immediately. I would make him publicly explain why he supports a regime that was barbaric in maiming and murdering innocent people in the most twisted manners possible or if he really doesn’t that he is just plain stupid. Surely he can’t be employable or have a family.
There was more than just one person making salutes.

:(

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5159 times

Post by Rowls » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:55 pm

Spijed wrote:I just hope some Burnley fans are not thick enough to boo Gaëtan Bong when we play Brighton at home. After what happened last night it won't look good at all.
It's completely different and we shouldn't conflate the two issues.

Overt, clear and obvious racist insults and chants (Bulgaria) should NEVER be conflated with the unproven, uncorroborated allegations of a single individual.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:00 pm

Rowls wrote:It's completely different and we shouldn't conflate the two issues.

Overt, clear and obvious racist insults and chants (Bulgaria) should NEVER be conflated with the unproven, uncorroborated allegations of a single individual.
They shouldn't, but Bong made an allegation that he felt wasn't punished (albeit because of lack of proof).

If our fans now boo him, simply out of loyalty to Jay, then it will look terrible to the rest of the football world.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5159 times

Post by Rowls » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:08 pm

fidelcastro wrote:They shouldn't, but Bong made an allegation that he felt wasn't punished (albeit because of lack of proof).

If our fans now boo him, simply out of loyalty to Jay, then it will look terrible to the rest of the football world.
I would boo Bong because I do not believe his allegation and I think he was wrong. Wrong to think it and then wrong to act on it.

If the rest of the world want to mistakenly take that for something else that is their prerogative and they are wrong.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:18 pm

Rowls wrote:It's completely different and we shouldn't conflate the two issues.

It wouldn't look good though, booing a black player for whatever reason in the current environment.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:19 pm

Rowls wrote:I would boo Bong because I do not believe his allegation and I think he was wrong. Wrong to think it and then wrong to act on it.

If the rest of the world want to mistakenly take that for something else that is their prerogative and they are wrong.
It's a strange thing to make up, don't you think?

Even the FA said the complaint was made in good faith.

If players feel they can't make complaints of racist abuse against fellow footballers, because they'll be vilified by opposing fans, then what hope is there in stamping this out?

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:19 pm

Rowls wrote:If the rest of the world want to mistakenly take that for something else that is their prerogative and they are wrong.
They might well be wrong, but I suspect the bad publicity would do us no favours at all!

aggi
Been Liked: 2115 times

Post by aggi » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:39 pm

Rowls wrote:I would boo Bong because I do not believe his allegation and I think he was wrong. Wrong to think it and then wrong to act on it.

So you'd boo a player for reporting suspected racist abuse because you think (but don't know, and don't have any evidence to prove) he was wrong?

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Why do you think he was wrong?

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:34 pm

Erasmus wrote:Posts like that from Bin Ont Turf and Moffitt sadly predictable. Why not just come out and express your real views instead of trying to pretend to be normal people?
I did express my real view, what I didn't do is expand on it. It's nice sometimes to give the professional outrage-rs on here a chance to abuse someone on the subject of abuse.

The difference between last night and the many times black players have been abused in Eastern Europe when on International duty, was that something was done about it for once. Now of course that was a talking point for post match, but it went way over the top (especially the ITV host chap). It was as though Heysel had just occurred again.

Mings and co showed a lot more class than that.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:35 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:Yeah, Raheem, Tyrone, Wrighty - so what if you’re being compared to animals. Just get on with it!

You really are one of the most dreadful people on this forum. A flat out bigot.
Ref! Ref!

My man marker is tugging at my shirt.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 507 times
Has Liked: 1037 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:49 pm

Harry Winks May well have had a great game, but as I said I didn’t watch the first half and he was poor for the first 15 minutes of the second half. Glad to hear that he was one of our better performers in your opinions.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:53 pm

I actually thought Southgate was outstanding in every facet of his roll last night

bobinho
Been Liked: 4093 times
Has Liked: 6570 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:45 pm

In my humble opinion, and after hearing what Harry Kane has to say about it today, i'm a little disappointed.

Disappointed at the governing body and it's ineffectiveness in dealing with this issue.

Disappointed with both Southgate and Kane for not taking the whole team off the pitch. THAT would've been a proper statement. That would've woken the authorities up and forced them to react, even if that reaction would probably be to fine the English FA. We had an opportunity to take a real stand and make a proper statement, and it was missed. I think with hindsight, some may look back and realise not doing that was a mistake. The qualification points were more important I suspect.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1664 times
Has Liked: 2974 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:04 pm

Notwithstanding my earlier comments on this thread about the team conducting themselves well and with dignity I think I'm coming round to thinking the same as bobinho above. Those black-clad imbecilic bigots were so revolting, and the general abuse so unacceptable in human terms, that I think we should have just walked off and said we were simply not prepared to carry on playing football in front of a display of overt racism. That would be a gesture that resonated with UEFA and across Europe. We would still qualify for what it's worth btw even if they took the points off us.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:20 pm

The racism scenarios played out on here ridiculous....last night people on here were up in arms regards the Bulgaria game condemning racism.and the night before the assumption on this Board after an incident on colne rd Burnley was......it's the "usual "suspects" up that way.and most went with the flow as to who had done what..... Regards cars racing initially. Mock rage and Bigotry go hand in hand on here.you can't have it both ways.... :roll: