ARTICLE: Cheap rail fares but a derby day disaster

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

ARTICLE: Cheap rail fares but a derby day disaster

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:44 am

The latest news from the 1959/60 season

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/cheap-rail- ... y-disaster" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Re: ARTICLE: Cheap rail fares but a derby day disaster

Post by Suratclaret » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:37 pm

Absolutely fascinating report. Bryan Douglas always seemed to do something in these derby games. As well as the football, standpipes and shotguns...could be a Vinnie Jones movie!
The Blackburn game was a double treat...football and going on a train. Exciting times despite the result.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:05 pm

5 defeats in first 13 wouldn’t win much nowadays. Only 2 points for the win helping.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:14 pm

Suratclaret wrote:Absolutely fascinating report. Bryan Douglas always seemed to do something in these derby games. As well as the football, standpipes and shotguns...could be a Vinnie Jones movie!
The Blackburn game was a double treat...football and going on a train. Exciting times despite the result.
The shotgun story was interesting - but I can remember the standpipes as if it were yesterday, carrying buckets of water up for us, my auntie and grandma.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:14 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:5 defeats in first 13 wouldn’t win much nowadays. Only 2 points for the win helping.
Incredible, already as many defeats as we had in total in the two Sean Dyche promotion seasons.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:51 pm

I most certainly remember this game.It was the first time I'd seen us play away! Went with my dad and older brother. I can recall exactly where we were on the ground,too. We sat in the old Riverside seats,front row about midway between the halfway line and Blackburn End goal. Obviously very disappointed at the outcome but still being only 7 years old had no significant understanding of the ' rivalry' element of the game.
There was one thing I do recall as being very strange during the match though. It was a cheer from the crowd when the other team scored. Never really experienced that until then. I still expected that everybody present cheered when we scored and nobody did when the opposition scored. Suppose it was the beginning of many 'hard knocks' I was to endure through my time as a Claret. Wouldn't have it any other way,though. At least we were home in decent time for our tea and for me to be sent on the errand for the sports paper..........,........, and then be the last to get to read it.
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure Suratclaret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:17 pm

My first away game was also an Ewood defeat but it was a couple of seasons later.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:02 pm

The Douglas og was priceless, sadly it counted for nothing. Looking like relegation is possible now and Rovers in line to become Champions. POTTS OUT

claretblue
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 961 times

Post by claretblue » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:16 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:for me to be sent on the errand for the sports paper..........,........, and then be the last to get to read it.
you could read Silky? :?
...I only got to look at the pictures! :D

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:50 pm

claretblue wrote:you could read Silky? :?
...I only got to look at the pictures! :D
Used to love the reports from Granville Shackleton for us and Alf Thornton for the other lot. Incredible that they were able to get reports out in the time they had. Scrolled through every page and for some reason I chose Burscough as a non league side whose result I always looked out for. Great times and fond memories for me as you can probably gather.