Extinction Rebellion

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Extinction Rebellion

Post by Darthlaw » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:11 pm

Have they blown it today with their protest on the Tube at Canning Town?

Seems a lot of folk are now turning against them, which can't be good for their valid cause.

Personally, I can't get my head around the decision to disrupt public transport let alone the lives of everyday commuters. I thought public transport was part of the solution?
This user liked this post: turfytopper

Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Re: Extinction Rebellion

Post by Spike » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:13 pm

what a bunch of Wallys

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:23 pm

It's claimed that this was an action against the common consensus of Extinction Rebellion (I don't know how true this is, the below is from a friend of a friend who is involved in them). It's certainly not done them any favours.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:26 pm

Protesting is all well and good for the first day but you soon lose public support.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:28 pm

Bizarre. If they're against public transport, what are they suggesting? Everyone stays at home?

Obviously it's just two guys here, but this is really damaging, they need to police themselves better or they'll lose support quick.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:30 pm

It shows how thoroughly they want us to change our lifestyles, if they're opposed even to mass transport powered by electricity. You'd have thought the Tube was as ecologically sound as any transport we have in this country; if even that is to be shut down ... :shock:

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:30 pm

Seeing some get a bit of a shoeing was a nice start to the day, hopefully they turn the water canons on the rest of them
These 2 users liked this post: Grumps Beaconsfield Claret

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:35 pm

They want to glue them selves to something ...

Then take the buggers to Barrow in Furness and the Submarine yards...

Let them glue themselves to a Sub about to be tested on its maiden dive.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Reckoner
Been Liked: 124 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Reckoner » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:40 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Seeing some get a bit of a shoeing was a nice start to the day, hopefully they turn the water canons on the rest of them
I pity you

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:42 pm

Reckoner wrote:I pity you

Cheers, lovely gesture
This user liked this post: Beaconsfield Claret

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:42 pm

The environment is a serious issue but people won’t take these protestors seriously. Anyone who climbs on top of a tube train deserves to get killed for being so stupid. When you are a student or on the dole the idea of us all living in the woods using no power is all well and good. The rest of us need to go to work so the benefit cheques and grants can still be funded. People’s patience is wearing thin as you can see.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:45 pm

Can't really see the logic in disrupting trains? Far better than everyone having a car and driving to work.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:50 pm

Whilst I am all for changing our lives to help the environment.

Many changes today I am not sure they are helping, like electric cars and machinery until we have fully renewable electric generation.

I fully support wind turbines and renewables. I think a work group should be put together of volunteers to design a new more efficient wind turbine as the current ones are really flawed in their design.

Allegedly the main protesters are being paid £400 per week to protest.

They are turning the vast majority against them. Which is a shame because done correctly they could actually drive some good changes.

d1sc0
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by d1sc0 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:51 pm

Here is a novel idea. Form as a political party. Stand for election. Debate in parliament etc. If enough people agree you will get in.

Not a Brexit debate but it kinda proves the point. Farage has never been an MP however with UKIP was a major influence in getting a referendum in the first place.

We have a democratic and political process. Use it.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:53 pm

d1sc0 wrote:Here is a novel idea. Form as a political party. Stand for election. Debate in parliament etc. If enough people agree you will get in.

Not a Brexit debate but it kinda proves the point. Farage has never been an MP however with UKIP was a major influence in getting a referendum in the first place.

There’s a Green Party, buts that’s been taken over by strange fundamentalists.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:55 pm

at least they are making a stand, most of us are apathetic slobs who just sit back and take it.
it needs people with the will to stand up against apathy and do nothing governments, otherwise the problems just continue unabated.
This user liked this post: Heathclaret

d1sc0

Post by d1sc0 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:58 pm

Yes we do have a green party and over the years they have affected change on the inside. And fair play to them for that.

Want my support do it properly. Want to affect decent hard working people just trying to go about there daily lives. Throw the book at them.

Reckoner

Post by Reckoner » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:59 pm

Disrupting public transport was a totally inappropriate form of protest - as pointed out it is one of the things that should be encouraged. I don't think the intention was to protest against public transport but rather just again gain publicity for the message that action is needed. Its backfired today, obviously.

Extinction Rebellion though isn't an organised and coordinated protest group, its a message that is attempting to put climate change at the front of politician's policy making. Individuals cant reverse what is happening it needs coordinated action from governments, and unfortunately that includes governments that focus on their leaders self interest rather than any greater good such as China, Russia and the US.

Its very easy to be critical and throw derogatory terms around like Boris does, but the protestors include a wide cross section of ages and society who want something better for the future generations. The protests may not have any significant effect but at least these people are trying - not something that can be said by the people who find it easy to be critical.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:59 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:at least they are making a stand, most of us are apathetic slobs who just sit back and take it.
You're right, and I was all with them. But taking a stand against public transport, particularly a service used by thousands of working class shift workers in Canning Town seems a really poorly chosen target.
This user liked this post: houseboy

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:11 pm

Lots of criticism and condemnation from those on the left of politics who generally support action on climate change and quite rightly so as was a terribly conceived stunt to pull.

I think this though illustrates where the left side of politics trumps the right in that it is far less tribal and much more willing to critisise itself when it gets something wrong
These 3 users liked this post: ZizkovClaret Buxtonclaret CombatClaret

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:23 pm

An absolute massive own goal to target public transport powered by electricity. I'm all for environmentalism, but some of them are clearly going off the rails on a crazy train.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:24 pm

Bosscat wrote:They want to glue them selves to something ...

Then take the buggers to Barrow in Furness and the Submarine yards...

Let them glue themselves to a Sub about to be tested on its maiden dive.
Boss - that is shocking - are you suggesting we kill them? :lol:
Actually mate I don't know a lot about them but saving the planet is always a good cause in my eyes, but to be fair public transport is often cited as one of the answers so targeting that seems a bit odd. Also I do have a bit of a problem with people who stop others going about their daily (and largely harmless) business. I even have a bit of a heartless view of those who commit suicide by throwing themselves off motorway bridges or in front of trains. I know they are sad and not of totally sound mind but why would they want to cause misery to thousands by their actions?

But to suggest killing the protesters? Boss you are a truly unfeeling, uncaring and .......... oh what the heck, you've always been okay in my book. :lol: :lol: :lol:

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:33 pm

Reckoner wrote:Disrupting public transport was a totally inappropriate form of protest - as pointed out it is one of the things that should be encouraged. I don't think the intention was to protest against public transport but rather just again gain publicity for the message that action is needed. Its backfired today, obviously.

Extinction Rebellion though isn't an organised and coordinated protest group, its a message that is attempting to put climate change at the front of politician's policy making. Individuals cant reverse what is happening it needs coordinated action from governments, and unfortunately that includes governments that focus on their leaders self interest rather than any greater good such as China, Russia and the US.

Its very easy to be critical and throw derogatory terms around like Boris does, but the protestors include a wide cross section of ages and society who want something better for the future generations. The protests may not have any significant effect but at least these people are trying - not something that can be said by the people who find it easy to be critical.
Fair points really. Legitimate protest, especially about the environment, is to be applauded but as you rightly say to disrupt ordinary people from earning their living is not the way to do it. Better that they had tried to disrupt the house of commons (let's face it they could do with something to stir them up). The environment (and population growth) are the biggest single threat to life on this planet at the moment (probably more so than war) and it is good that someone is trying to raise awareness of it but there are ways and means and unfortunately this is not really one way because a lot of their support will evaporate as a result and that would be sad.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:37 pm

I’m genuinely sympathetic to their cause but ******* people off seems a bizarre way to go about it.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:50 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:I’m genuinely sympathetic to their cause but ******* people off seems a bizarre way to go about it.
its all over the news, so they did it right. if we are debating it on a footie messageboard, then so will thousands of others.
Its impactive, and for all those annoyed or inconvenienced by them, so what.

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Darthlaw » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:52 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:its all over the news, so they did it right. if we are debating it on a footie messageboard, then so will thousands of others.
Its impactive, and for all those annoyed or inconvenienced by them, so what.
Most are talking about their actions, not their cause.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:58 pm

I’d say they have less support now.

Reckoner

Post by Reckoner » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:59 pm

Darthlaw wrote:Most are talking about their actions, not their cause.

Today they are. But climate change is being talked about by more politicians and large organisations partly as a result of ER's efforts to make the issue a priority. They've done more than the Green party and generally their demonstrations have been appropriate so I hope today's own goal ios seen for what it is in context.

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:46 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:I’d say they have less support now.
From what I gather, in many ways they're not looking for support, just awareness.

It isn't really the man in the street they're trying to influence. They don't want low level interventions like walk rather than drive, recycle more, etc they believe that the solution to the problem is very significant changes implemented soon and that will require very high level (governments, multinationals, etc) intervention.

I guess it's a form of non-violent terrorism.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:51 pm

Reckoner wrote:Today they are. But climate change is being talked about by more politicians and large organisations partly as a result of ER's efforts to make the issue a priority. They've done more than the Green party and generally their demonstrations have been appropriate so I hope today's own goal ios seen for what it is in context.
Until they talk about it in China then their actions are futile. They protest in the U.K. because they know the police won’t react like those in Paris or Barcelona (never mind Beijing).

Reckoner

Post by Reckoner » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:05 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:Until they talk about it in China then their actions are futile. They protest in the U.K. because they know the police won’t react like those in Paris or Barcelona (never mind Beijing).
They are protesting in the UK because they are from the UK. I agree it needs countries like China, but the only pressure that can have any effect on China is from governments like the UK, and the UK government will only act if they think it is in their own interests because of domestic opinion. It may be futile but at least they are trying something which is better than watching someone trying something (even if futile) and finding fault. I admire them on the whole - but obviously the tube thing today was inappropriate and self defeating.
This user liked this post: AndrewJB

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:20 pm

Reckoner wrote:Disrupting public transport was a totally inappropriate form of protest - as pointed out it is one of the things that should be encouraged. I don't think the intention was to protest against public transport but rather just again gain publicity for the message that action is needed. Its backfired today, obviously.

Me thinks you mis judge them sir.

They have a large financial backing and it’s main organisers and protesters are being paid around £400 per week. The main amount are voluntary but mistake them for being unorganised.

Bear in mind they are organised enough and have enough funds to take the police to court.

damo_whitehead
Been Liked: 168 times
Has Liked: 110 times

Post by damo_whitehead » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:24 pm

Disrupting peoples commutes will never go down well. Feels like it has now become a class battle

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:27 pm

Reckoner wrote:
Extinction Rebellion though isn't an organised and coordinated protest group,
For a disorganised un-coordinated group they have huge funding and organisation then :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:32 pm

Bunch of nut jobs who are being used as puppets.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

damo_whitehead
Been Liked: 168 times
Has Liked: 110 times

Post by damo_whitehead » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:36 pm

The most ridiculous thing I saw today was a woman who had glued herself to a train saying, "we are not here to disrupt the trains".... erm...
This user liked this post: tim_noone

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:38 pm

Says Rightwinger with not even a hint of irony.
Last edited by evensteadiereddie on Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reckoner

Post by Reckoner » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:38 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:Me thinks you mis judge them sir.

They have a large financial backing and it’s main organisers and protesters are being paid around £400 per week. The main amount are voluntary but mistake them for being unorganised.

Bear in mind they are organised enough and have enough funds to take the police to court.

Daily Mail perhaps?

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:05 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:Me thinks you mis judge them sir.

Have you got a link to this? Being in London I've followed this reasonably closely and know some people involved and I haven't heard anything along these lines.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1778 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:06 pm

I have sympathy with the general principles, but I always thought if the Green Party ever took power you would really find out what loss of freedom is about. I won't go as far as to say Fascist.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:10 pm

dougcollins wrote:I won't go as far as to say Fascist.
You just did ;)
Last edited by Bosscat on Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: dougcollins

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:10 pm

Why are they targeting members of the public during their disruptions.

What if there was a paediatric cardiac surgeon who was on his way on to work to provide life saving surgery to a young child, only to be delayed because of some muppets.

Target the oil and gas companies and the government. Not ordinary folk trying to get to work

cbx750
Been Liked: 258 times
Has Liked: 372 times

Post by cbx750 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:12 pm

aggi wrote:Have you got a link to this? Being in London I've followed this reasonably closely and know some people involved and I haven't heard anything along these lines.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/e ... p-20547064" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

claret3561
Been Liked: 134 times

Post by claret3561 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:12 pm

They should all be threatened with jobs. Personally I can't wait to lye basking on some remote scottish beach in temperatures of 35°

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1778 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:17 pm

Bosscat wrote:You just did ;)
Oops.It was a silent 'Fascist'.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:27 pm

claret3561 wrote:They should all be threatened with jobs. Personally I can't wait to lye basking on some remote scottish beach in temperatures of 35°
I wondered why Steve1956 went North ;)

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:31 pm

Feckin morons each and every one of them, they need to get a life a wash and a job.
These 3 users liked this post: Right_winger Bosscat dpinsussex

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:37 pm

aggi wrote:Have you got a link to this? Being in London I've followed this reasonably closely and know some people involved and I haven't heard anything along these lines.
An unorganised group with no finance eh.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/p ... 64301.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gtclaret
Been Liked: 338 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:45 pm

d1sc0 wrote:Here is a novel idea. Form as a political party. Stand for election. Debate in parliament etc. If enough people agree you will get in.

The problem is, the environment is not a British problem, even winning an election will not stop the environmental damage, they would have to win power in India, China, USA and a lot of the third world

d1sc0

Post by d1sc0 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:55 pm

gtclaret wrote:The problem is, the environment is not a British problem, even winning an election will not stop the environmental damage, they would have to win power in India, China, USA and a lot of the third world
Totally agree. I doubt the Arabs do not wish the world to stop burning oil.

We could invest and invent the a power technology that is 'clean' whatever that is and make it cheaper than all the current alternatives. It wouldn't then matter what other countries did they would want what we have. How do you do that?

Stop trains and busses or get into parliament and affect change by getting investment in these areas? Hmmmm