ARTICLE: The Clarets help Olympic preparations

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32409 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

ARTICLE: The Clarets help Olympic preparations

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:03 am

Latest from the 1959/60 season

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/the-clarets ... eparations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Re: ARTICLE: The Clarets help Olympic preparations

Post by Suratclaret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:51 am

I don't suppose it crossed Harry Potts' mind to field a weakened team. Can't imagine that happening today.
Interesting that the drought continued well into October. Presumably it couldn't be blamed on global warming/climate change as those terms hadn't been thought of then?
Interesting snippet about Norman Yates. He was very much into caring for the environment (environmentalist was another term not heard then). He lived on Ightenhill Park Lane and could be seen every day picking up litter from his neighborhood.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:08 pm

Suratclaret wrote:I don't suppose it crossed Harry Potts' mind to field a weakened team. Can't imagine that happening today.
Interesting that the drought continued well into October. Presumably it couldn't be blamed on global warming/climate change as those terms hadn't been thought of then?
Interesting snippet about Norman Yates. He was very much into caring for the environment (environmentalist was another term not heard then). He lived on Ightenhill Park Lane and could be seen every day picking up litter from his neighborhood.
I was more concerned for Miss Newbould having to carry her bucket of water up that hill. It's hard to believe now but looking at the pic, that's how it was when I was growing up. I think that could be Healeywood Road.

As for the team, games like that back then always saw the first team in action. Never a thought for weakened teams.

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:28 pm

Agreed that it looks like Healey Wood Rd. Fortunately, where we lived on Ormerod Rd was more or less on the level. One of my jobs was to carry buckets of water from the standpipe to, what would now be called a care home next door. I didn't really have any choice. My very first schoolteacher was a Miss Newbould who was a fearsome lady!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:51 am

The mill at the bottom is where my granddad worked and where both my uncle and my dad started their working lives - they always called it the Shoddy although I'm never sure that was it's correct name.