Var needs to be put in professional hands

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
WestMidsClaret
Posts: 1284
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:55 pm
Been Liked: 485 times
Has Liked: 455 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by WestMidsClaret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:09 am

Darnhill Claret wrote:But every decision that you disagree with just confirms how wank referees are because you are never wrong.
Me?

Darnhill Claret
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:55 pm
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:11 am

And if you admit that you are sometimes wrong, then you must acknowledge human error, that can never be eliminated.

Darnhill Claret
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:55 pm
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:11 am

Anyone using the expression wank.

WestMidsClaret
Posts: 1284
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:55 pm
Been Liked: 485 times
Has Liked: 455 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by WestMidsClaret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:13 am

If you're chatting to me then you obviously dont know me. I hold my hands if im wrong. I dont hide behind an institue. Bit weird.

Darnhill Claret
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:55 pm
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:16 am

And do you believe that ex players will not be subject to human error? Never miss an offence, be consistent, always make the same decision that you would make? And would you never question the decisions made by an ex professional player? What if you thought that ex player was a proper numpty?

WestMidsClaret
Posts: 1284
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:55 pm
Been Liked: 485 times
Has Liked: 455 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by WestMidsClaret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:20 am

No but they know the game better then people whove hardly played at a decent level. And i also said they dont necessaily have to actually ref the game, educate the ones that do want fi try it to certain things that happen in football like a player who doesnt actually trip anotherplayer etc. Are you a ref or ex ref?
Last edited by WestMidsClaret on Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darnhill Claret
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:55 pm
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:20 am

I’m chatting to anyone and everyone reading this thread. Obviously I don’t know you and by the same token you don’t know me. If you hold your hands up then you know ex professional players will make the same errors that current refs make. You’re letting your emotions cloud your judgement.

Darnhill Claret
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:55 pm
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:21 am

Ex player who qualified as a ref.

Darnhill Claret
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:55 pm
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:23 am

But that should make no difference whatsoever. My opinion holds no more authority than anyone else.

WestMidsClaret
Posts: 1284
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:55 pm
Been Liked: 485 times
Has Liked: 455 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by WestMidsClaret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:26 am

********.

No im really not. You're, incorrectly, assuming stuff. I havent said that you dont think you're ever wrong like you did with me. You're just trying to start a weird argument on the internet with someone you've never met. I've seen you post a lot if stuff to "try" and wind people up. Maybe you don't get enough attention at home i dont know but there's a whole world out there. Any way its a bit weird.

evensteadiereddie
Posts: 4890
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:45 pm
Been Liked: 1498 times
Has Liked: 4452 times
Location: Staffordshire

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:26 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:You need to loosen that foil hat.

Fair dos - I'm happy to listen to your justification of that decision. Pray tell.

Darnhill Claret
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:55 pm
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:28 am

Have you not noticed how often a player pundit makes a call that disagrees with a ref and how often the player pundit is wrong. Certainly more often than the ref. That’s the evidence that I will use to confirm my opinion that an ex-player will not make a better ref unless he learns the laws of the game. Are you really saying that you are never amazed by how often ex-players show that they don’t know the laws of the game which is pretty damn basic.

WestMidsClaret
Posts: 1284
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:55 pm
Been Liked: 485 times
Has Liked: 455 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by WestMidsClaret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:29 am

Ex player who did you play for?

Darnhill Claret
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:55 pm
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:53 am

Didn’t say what you think I said, but if a person twice makes a statement that refs/professionals are wank then that is someone making a very strong statement with a very broad brushstroke. A person making such statements might give the impression that they believe they are always right. I also said I think you are letting your emotions cloud your judgement. Having read Post 60 perhaps it’s not me making the most assumptions.

Darnhill Claret
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:55 pm
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:03 am

Does the Level I played at determine the validity of my opinions or something?

When I did my initial ref training my mentor was Ivan Smith and I played under the watchful eye of Eli many years ago. But I don’t want any point scoring here so please don’t tell me who you played for as I disagree with your opinion that ex-players would automatically make better refs.

All opinions are equally valid, they are just opinions, but many pundits don’t help to strengthen your ex-player theory. That’s all.

Darnhill Claret
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:55 pm
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:16 am

I don’t do wind-ups, I haven’t the patience of an Imploding Turtle or KRBFC and I only flit on and off here between the other bits of my life. Sometimes I do a couple of hours, sometimes just a few minutes, sometimes I just read. I will occasionally challenge some opinions that I disagree with, rarely have the urge to agree with everyone else. What’s the point? Or if I can help with someone’s requests on any subject I will.
In the past my stubborness has had me sticking up for Stan Ternent and Brian Jensen when I felt a different opinion was required to add a bit of balance, but other than that I just chip in here and there.

Don’t often seem to ruffle anyone’s feathers, so maybe you’re my exception to the rule.

Darnhill Claret
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:55 pm
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:17 am

Hope you know me a bit better now, but I don’t wish to reveal all, so to speak.

Darnhill Claret
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:55 pm
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:27 am

Apologies to IT and KRBFC for referencing you both. I never realised I’d been noticed by anyone. Not sure if I’m flattered or offended.

WestMidsClaret
Posts: 1284
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:55 pm
Been Liked: 485 times
Has Liked: 455 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by WestMidsClaret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:30 am

You've twice made an assumption about me and twice been wrong. That's why I made an assumption about you. If you hadn't of said anything I wouldn't have retorted the way I did. One thing's for sure I'm not sitting here being judged by someone who doesn't know me. So maybe a bit less arrogance is needed. Have a good day.

Darnhill Claret
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:55 pm
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:32 am

WestMids, I must ask when an ex-player ref gets a decision right in your eyes I have a feeling he will be an ex-player and when he makes a decision that you disagree with he’ll be a ’wank ref’. Would I be guessing right?
Can’t find them emoji things so you’ll have to believe me when I say ‘big smiley’.

WestMidsClaret
Posts: 1284
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:55 pm
Been Liked: 485 times
Has Liked: 455 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by WestMidsClaret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:35 am

You're getting all weird now. "Smiley".

Hibsclaret
Posts: 1893
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 533 times
Has Liked: 329 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:36 am

WestMidsClaret wrote:The "professionals" are also wank. Most of them haven't played football at a decent level. It's mind boggling that hardly any ex players have tried their hand at reffing. That says something in itself. And I don't mean because it's a hard job. It's not what the institute want. That decision yesterday was a ******* disgrace not matter how much you dress it up.
Spot on.

We now have something akin to someone working on the shop floor and becoming a supervisor with experience and then making board level decisions....the ex players at a high level have the best knowledge as to how the game works so are best placed to apply the laws correctly....

However, they wouldn’t want the job because of the cash level and the hassle...

WestMidsClaret
Posts: 1284
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:55 pm
Been Liked: 485 times
Has Liked: 455 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by WestMidsClaret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:44 am

Hibsclaret wrote:Spot on.

We now have something akin to someone working on the shop floor and becoming a supervisor with experience and then making board level decisions....the ex players at a high level have the best knowledge as to how the game works so are best placed to apply the laws correctly....

However, they wouldn’t want the job because of the cash level and the hassle...
I know it isn't probably realistic but it's the only thing I can think of that would maybe ensure a better quality tbh. Most of the people at the top and most referee's haven't played to a decent level so don't really understand the ins and outs. I think they don't understand the players in footballing terms. Hence why there's so many clear mistakes. VAR is mainly backing up the ref. It isn't being used correctly. Maybe that'll come. Same happened with cricket at the beginning with Hawkeye

Darnhill Claret
Posts: 925
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:55 pm
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:49 am

No idea what I’ve been arrogant about, just thought wank refs was over the top and disagreed with your opinion that ex-players would improve the standard of refereeing. Just used tv pundits as my evidence and wished you could use an ex-player ref to further your argument. Anyway I shall wish you good day, but I make no assumptions about you but repeat that strong opinions can lead to assumptions being made by some. Again you’ve kind of ignored my point that inconsistency and human error will still be an integral part or reffing no matter what playing background a ref might have. I’m perfectly happy sharing a difference of opinion with anyone, but I’ll take care not to reply to any other posts from your good self in future. I hadn’t realised how touchy individual posters are. Don’t keep tabs on other posters. Just so you know I won’t respond further to anything that you post. Please ‘foe’ me or whatever it is that people do in similar instances. Come on Japan. Big smiley.

IanMcL
Posts: 15016
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:27 pm
Been Liked: 3026 times
Has Liked: 3410 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by IanMcL » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:46 pm

I think the mathematics has removed the real world decision making for the worse.

Offside based on a head looking around the back of the line, so the ball can be seen, a leg for balance etc. Impossible for a line, so should be ruled out as part of the decision equation.

Clear torso and you are off. Nothing else. Otherwise, you are deemed level and ok.

Also when Evan's trips himself up, that is still a goal!!!

GodIsADeeJay81
Posts: 3538
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am
Been Liked: 680 times
Has Liked: 1502 times

Re: Var needs to be put in professional hands

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:43 pm

WestMidsClaret wrote:No idea. What's the answer? We just continue to have wank refs?
Screenshot_20191020-134051.png
Screenshot_20191020-134051.png (212.93 KiB) Viewed 163 times
Just so you know, refs have to start at the bottom of the ladder, like most professions.
You'll not get many former pro footballers even considering the idea of reffing on a cold Sunday morning.

Post Reply