Julie Cooper MP to stand down .... ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Re: Julie Cooper MP to stand down .... ?

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:02 pm

Spijed wrote:Low bank, do you think the Brexit candidate will still stand as it sounds like Farage is wavering over the number of candidates?

I certainly dont have that level of knowledge about the party.

Alli know is Stewart is really keen and would be a good MP.
These 2 users liked this post: Spijed Top Claret

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:06 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:I certainly dont have that level of knowledge about the party.

Alli know is Stewart is really keen and would be a good MP.
Certainly have a lot of admiration for you to go knocking on doors in all weather.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:00 pm

Spijed wrote:Certainly have a lot of admiration for you to go knocking on doors in all weather.

Today was pretty standard, didn’t get any abuse which is always good.

Sure we will before Dec 12th.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:05 pm

Burnley won lowbank, you were lucky.
Seriously I think the Brexit Party will do very well in Burnley

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:37 pm

Spijed wrote:And the Tories aren't?

A candidate who says women are partially to blame if they are raped.
JRM says people are too thick to leave a burning tower block.
A MP who's says JRM is cleverer than people who burnt to death in a tower block.

Have you seen the polls or do you need a trip to spec savers?

Labour are going to get wiped out. Fukin great news for the economy and the union

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:45 pm

Elizabeth wrote:Burnley won lowbank, you were lucky.
Seriously I think the Brexit Party will do very well in Burnley
Based on today, Stewart could do really well.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:47 pm

Top Claret wrote:Have you seen the polls or do you need a trip to spec savers?

Labour are going to get wiped out. Fukin great news for the economy and the union
Wiped out, as in how many seats do you really think each party will end up with after the election?

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:49 pm

I hope he does well enough to help get rid of Julie Cooper

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:04 pm

Over three years of a total inept Tory government led by May and the useless Labour rabble still can't take them to the cleaners. If Labour were up to it the Tories would be buried now with Labour looking forward to a 150 seat majority. Thank god Boris has stepped up to the plate and saved us from Corbyn and his lefty loonies

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:34 pm

I luv my wife wrote:Clarets4me
Afraid so to busy buying Christmas cards and a nice electric Christmas tree for the front window from Dawsons of clitheroe
You're SO Ribble Valley these days, darling !! :D :D

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:06 pm

It appears the runners and riders may now be complete, although the deadline for receipt of nomination papers is Thursday 14th November at 4 pm ...

Labour - Julie Cooper
Conservative - Antony Higginbotham
Lib/Dem - Gordon Birtwistle
Brexit Party - Stewart Scott
B&PIP - Charles Briggs
Green - Dr Laura Fisk

William Hill have Labour at 8/11, Conservative at 2/1, Lib/Dems at 6/1 and Brexit Party at 20/1 .....

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:03 pm

Clarets4me wrote:It appears the runners and riders may now be complete, although the deadline for receipt of nomination papers is Thursday 14th November at 4 pm ...

Labour - Julie Cooper
B&PIP - Charles Briggs
Green - Dr Laura Fisk

William Hill have Labour at 8/11, Conservative at 2/1, Lib/Dems at 6/1 and Brexit Party at 20/1 .....

Have you seen the collapse of the Labour vote in the NW, 55% down to 30% .

I think it’s a fight between Antony and Stewart.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:54 pm

Big week looming for Farage
How far will he take it?
Realistically in my opinion could be the difference between getting Brexit or not for the 17.4, plus the millions of remain voters who have no problem seeing it happen.
The only people being squeezed should be the remain voters who have never accepted the democratic vote in 2016.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10257 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:12 pm

Evenin', Ringo.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:03 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:Have you seen the collapse of the Labour vote in the NW, 55% down to 30% .
I think it’s a fight between Antony and Stewart.
It might have been on the other thread, but I've said before that I can't see Labour's vote on Polling Day falling to below it's historical low of 31.3%, or in other terms, between 13 - 14,000. For that to happen, between 25-30% of people who voted Labour in 2017, would have to vote elsewhere or abstain.
Over 46% of Labour's local election vote in May came from just 3 of the 15 Council wards in Burnley, all with a large proportion of Asian heritage voters. You can be sure they'll be well organised come December 12th.

It would delight some posters to see the pro Brexit Conservatives and the Brexit party battle for their share of 28,000 Burnley " Leave " voters, and come the early hours of 13th December, Labour retain the seat with a historically low number of votes. :o

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:01 pm

Clarets4me wrote:It might have been on the other thread, but I've said before that I can't see Labour's vote on Polling Day falling to below it's historical low of 31.3%, or in other terms, between 13 - 14,000. For that to happen, between 25-30% of people who voted Labour in 2017, would have to vote elsewhere or abstain.
Over 46% of Labour's local election vote in May came from just 3 of the 15 Council wards in Burnley, all with a large proportion of Asian heritage voters. You can be sure they'll be well organised come December 12th.

It would delight some posters to see the pro Brexit Conservatives and the Brexit party battle for their share of 28,000 Burnley " Leave " voters, and come the early hours of 13th December, Labour retain the seat with a historically low number of votes. :o
Well I suggest you underestimate the intelligence of Labour voters.

They have been told they were to thick to know what they voted for.

The millionaire labour leaders know better than they do and they should get back in their holes.

The leader of the party they have supported is now led by a terrorist supporting , anti army, anti British leader.

WE ARE NOT THICK.

We will vote you out.
This user liked this post: Clarets4me

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:21 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:Well I suggest you underestimate the intelligence of Labour voters.

The millionaire labour leaders know better than they do and they should get back in their holes.

The leader of the party they have supported is now led by a terrorist supporting , anti army, anti British leader.

WE ARE NOT THICK.

We will vote you out.
If what you say is true then the Conservatives will be heading for a majority that the likes of Margaret Thatcher & Tony Blair could only dream of!

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:02 pm

We will see in a few weeks time.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:14 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:Well I suggest you underestimate the intelligence of Labour voters.

WE ARE NOT THICK.

We will vote you out.
If you think Corbyn is all the things you’ve written then I’m afraid you are thick.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:40 pm

Clarets4me wrote:It appears the runners and riders may now be complete, although the deadline for receipt of nomination papers is Thursday 14th November at 4 pm ...

Labour - Julie Cooper
B&PIP - Charles Briggs
Green - Dr Laura Fisk

I'd favour Labour to hold but those odds are crazy,and how on earth are the Lib Dems so low in a seat which voted 66% leave,i can't see the BP winning but i can see them being major spoilers,and taking a good chunk of voters from both major parties,whether their intervention helps Labour or the Conservatives we'll have to wait and see,you'd think it would benefit Labour more,but they could damage the Labour core vote quite a lot,add in the Corbyn factor and this seat could be a tory gain come December.

Whether they would retain it at the next election if UK politics returned to normality is another :?: entirely,but given the annoyance over brexit,i can see some dyed-in-the-wool Labourites lending their vote to the Conservatives as a one-off,Julie Cooper seems a marmite MP to boot,now in a usual election cycle this could be overcome by Labour,but UK elections are anything but usual just now.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:31 am

Gordon Birtwistle has reposted a link from the Lib/Dem National response team on his Facebook page ...

It says, " Now two old white men want to argue about how to take you out of Europe ... "

The Lib/Dems may have fallen down on the " targeted message " front here ..... both Gordon Birtwistle and Gordon Lishman, their Candidate for the Pendle contest are aged, er .. 72, and most certainly " white brothers " !!! :oops:

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:54 am

Clarets4me wrote:Gordon Birtwistle has reposted a link from the Lib/Dem National response team on his Facebook page ...

It says, " Now two old white men want to argue about how to take you out of Europe ... "

The Lib/Dems may have fallen down on the " targeted message " front here ..... both Gordon Birtwistle and Gordon Lishman, their Candidate for the Pendle contest are aged, er .. 72, and most certainly " white brothers " !!! :oops:
And here's me thinking that the Liberals were opposed to racism, sexism, and ageism ... :twisted:

aggi
Been Liked: 2123 times

Post by aggi » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:53 am

WE ARE NOT THICK.

We will vote you out.
The thing is that's how you think, not how most people think.

Personally I think the odds that someone else put up are probably fairly accurate.

Plus, all this " terrorist supporting , anti army, anti British leader." does make you sound thick. I don't think Corbyn is particularly competent but the anti-British stuff is for those who uncritically believe the Daily Mail and Guido Fawkes and the like.

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:31 am

aggi wrote:The thing is that's how you think, not how most people think.

Personally I think the odds that someone else put up are probably fairly accurate.

Plus, all this " terrorist supporting , anti army, anti British leader." does make you sound thick. I don't think Corbyn is particularly competent but the anti-British stuff is for those who uncritically believe the Daily Mail and Guido Fawkes and the like.
He did lay a wreath for terrorists though...

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:31 am

aggi wrote:The thing is that's how you think, not how most people think.

He did lay a wreath for terrorists though...

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:03 am

AndyClaret wrote:He did lay a wreath for terrorists though...
There are no terrorists buried where he laid a wreath.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:07 am

WE ARE NOT THICK.

We will vote you out.
With a post like that you’re far too thick to speak for Labour voters.

aggi

Post by aggi » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:13 am

AndyClaret wrote:He did lay a wreath for terrorists though...
It seems a little inconclusive https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck ... wreath-row" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (and obviously it would be hugely hypocritical for anyone who supports the Brexit party in the North West to complain about a politician supporting terrorists).

Plus that doesn't really show any anti-army, anti-British sentiment.

Lord Rothbury
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Lord Rothbury » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:34 am

Clarets4me wrote:It might have been on the other thread, but I've said before that I can't see Labour's vote on Polling Day falling to below it's historical low of 31.3%, or in other terms, between 13 - 14,000. For that to happen, between 25-30% of people who voted Labour in 2017, would have to vote elsewhere or abstain.

Whilst Labour will remain strong in the Asian dominated areas ,whatever happened to the Asian Lid Dem vote of a couple of elections ago,they will get hammered in other areas of the town.Gannow ,Rosegrove & Lowerhouse and possibly Padiham will see the Labour vote evaporate to next to nothing. Charlie Briggs will poll heavily in these areas maybe not enough to win overall but enough to affect the overall result.My fear is it maybe enough to allow the inept Julie Cooper to sneak home by default.

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:43 am

aggi wrote:It seems a little inconclusive https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck ... wreath-row" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (and obviously it would be hugely hypocritical for anyone who supports the Brexit party in the North West to complain about a politician supporting terrorists).

Plus that doesn't really show any anti-army, anti-British sentiment.
Why, when he says he talks to terrorists to broker peace, doe's he only ever talk to one side ?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:33 am

Lord Rothbury wrote:Whilst Labour will remain strong in the Asian dominated areas ,whatever happened to the Asian Lid Dem vote of a couple of elections ago,they will get hammered in other areas of the town.Gannow ,Rosegrove & Lowerhouse and possibly Padiham will see the Labour vote evaporate to next to nothing. Charlie Briggs will poll heavily in these areas maybe not enough to win overall but enough to affect the overall result.My fear is it maybe enough to allow the inept Julie Cooper to sneak home by default.

That's why 6 parties splitting the vote is good news for Labour,a lot of leave voters could opt for the BP and Charlie Briggs,neither of those are likely to win,but if they curtail the Conservative share,Julie Cooper could well hold with a meagre %. :(

Look at the Peterborough by-election for proof of this,the BP and Cons polled over half the votes cast,but due to the leave vote splintering,Labour limped home with barely over 30%,don't be :o if there's a similar outcome in Burnley.

aggi

Post by aggi » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:51 am

AndyClaret wrote:Why, when he says he talks to terrorists to broker peace, doe's he only ever talk to one side ?
Who knows, and again it's hugely hypocritical for someone who is supporting the Brexit party to complain about terrorist supporting politicians and there's nothing about him being anti-army/British.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:52 am

Its a week in and the right are already concentrating on certain historical stuff while massively ignoring other historical stuff.

Its 2017 all over again

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:20 am

Lord Rothbury wrote:Whilst Labour will remain strong in the Asian dominated areas ,whatever happened to the Asian Lid Dem vote of a couple of elections ago,they will get hammered in other areas of the town.Gannow ,Rosegrove & Lowerhouse and possibly Padiham will see the Labour vote evaporate to next to nothing. Charlie Briggs will poll heavily in these areas maybe not enough to win overall but enough to affect the overall result.My fear is it maybe enough to allow the inept Julie Cooper to sneak home by default.
Voting in Trinity ward will be interesting. Over the last two years, the Greens have worked that ward assidiously, and in May, overturned a 2015 Labour majority of 441 to a massive 561 of their own. They did something similar last year, but I'm not convinced voters will stay with them in a National Election, especially one where one issue, Brexit, seems so dominant.

At local election level, the individual standing can play a big part. Our very own, Ian McL, ( who ensures Madge brightens our match-days ), is a Labour Councillor in Wiltshire, I suspect in a Constituency that is " true-blue ". Similarly, the Liberal Democrat vote in Whittlefield & Ightenhill, collapsed from 34.3% in 2014, to 3.3% four years later, when the quietly effective & popular Cllr. Tom Porter retired ....

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:27 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:Based on today, Stewart could do really well.
What does he stand for other than Brexit? (This isn't a loaded question, genuinely want to know)

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:27 am

I still think we will have a minority Labour Government propped up by SNP to get their second referendum and the Lib dems to stop Brexit by having a second referendum but I expect the Tories to have most seats but too few for a majority Government . All of that will mean more gnashing of teeth in the Commons and by the UK electorate.
We no longer live in interesting times but in worrying times. Thus far the Tories campaign has been shambolic with the latest stupid remarks concerning Labour's spending plans when their manifesto is not out yet. Add to that the balm pot Labour party saying a US trade deal will have us paying £500million more per week for our drugs when they should know Frank Dobson set up Nice which keeps drug costs as low as possible and at every opportunity try and convince us that the only way to run health care is via NHS or the US system.
SHAME ON BOTH THEIR HOUSES.

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:56 am

deanothedino wrote:What does he stand for other than Brexit? (This isn't a loaded question, genuinely want to know)
The Brexit Party have only ONE policy - to leave the EU with a clean (no deal) Brexit. This would immediately result in a hard border across Ireland which is obviously unacceptable.

With the Johnson deal on the table ready to be signed they have done their job and become irrelevant. They should stand down in all constituencies and allow a three way choice between Conservatives, Labour and Lib Dems.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:00 pm

Mala591 wrote:The Brexit Party have only ONE policy - to leave the EU with a clean (no deal) Brexit. This would immediately result in a hard border across Ireland which is obviously unacceptable.

With the Johnson deal on the table ready to be signed they have done their job and become irrelevant. They should stand down in all constituencies and allow a three way choice between Conservatives, Labour and Lib Dems.
The Johnson deal is crap.

I'd still like to know what they stand for since they'll likely pick up a number of votes because of Brexit (it won't be my vote though)

CardyTheClaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by CardyTheClaret » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:11 pm

mdd2 wrote:I still think we will have a minority Labour Government propped up by SNP to get their second referendum and the Lib dems to stop Brexit by having a second referendum but I expect the Tories to have most seats but too few for a majority Government . All of that will mean more gnashing of teeth in the Commons and by the UK electorate.
We no longer live in interesting times but in worrying times. Thus far the Tories campaign has been shambolic with the latest stupid remarks concerning Labour's spending plans when their manifesto is not out yet. Add to that the balm pot Labour party saying a US trade deal will have us paying £500million more per week for our drugs when they should know Frank Dobson set up Nice which keeps drug costs as low as possible and at every opportunity try and convince us that the only way to run health care is via NHS or the US system.
SHAME ON BOTH THEIR HOUSES.
Labour/SNP coalition - 20/1 with Bet365. Fill your boots. Tory Majority now firm favourite at 8/11. Labour majority now slipped to 20/1 from 12's.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:33 pm

AndyClaret wrote:Why, when he says he talks to terrorists to broker peace, doe's he only ever talk to one side ?
Beyond the smear campaign: https://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.com/ ... w.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:40 pm

deanothedino wrote:What does he stand for other than Brexit? (This isn't a loaded question, genuinely want to know)

His personal leaflet is being printed, should be available this week.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:42 pm

Mala591 wrote:The Brexit Party have only ONE policy - to leave the EU with a clean (no deal) Brexit. This would immediately result in a hard border across Ireland which is obviously unacceptable.

Not true to be fair, they have several policies.

Importantly we need one on the NHS and defence.

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:49 pm

AndrewJB wrote:Beyond the smear campaign: https://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.com/ ... w.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I stopped reading at "McGuiness was not IRA", quite incredible.

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:21 pm

brexit party will certainly be getting my vote, likewise the rest of the family.

I know that much.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:49 pm

ClaretMoffitt wrote:brexit party will certainly be getting my vote, likewise the rest of the family.

I know that much.
So what are you voting for exactly?

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:56 pm

AndyClaret wrote:I stopped reading at "McGuiness was not IRA", quite incredible.
Of course you did.

Corbyn met with members of Sinn Fein. And if you'd read further you'd see he also met with Loyalist groups - some of whom might also have had involvement with the paramilitary side of things, but he met them in a political capacity. We know now the Thatcher government was speaking with the IRA at the time (while telling everyone she'd never do that).

What's really disgraceful is that people like you take the actions of a man working for peace over thirty years ago, and misrepresent them as being "against our country" - while at the same time Johnson was in a university club that smashed up restaurants, and burned fifty pound notes in front of homeless people. Which of them hates the ordinary people of Britain?
This user liked this post: longsidepies

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:49 am

Lowbankclaret wrote:Not true to be fair, they have several policies.

Importantly we need one on the NHS and defence.
Is this not the NHS policy?

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:07 am

Judging by his Twitter feed the only other thing I can spot amongst a load of hysterical retweeting of Brexit "facts" is the occasional bit of denying climate change.

https://twitter.com/stewartscott62?lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:45 am

aggi wrote:Judging by his Twitter feed the only other thing I can spot amongst a load of hysterical retweeting of Brexit "facts" is the occasional bit of denying climate change.

https://twitter.com/stewartscott62?lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They’ve refused to do a manifesto. Even the Monster Raving Looney Party used to produce a manifesto.

AndyClaret

Post by AndyClaret » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:30 am

AndrewJB wrote:Of course you did.

Corbyn met with members of Sinn Fein. And if you'd read further you'd see he also met with Loyalist groups - some of whom might also have had involvement with the paramilitary side of things, but he met them in a political capacity. We know now the Thatcher government was speaking with the IRA at the time (while telling everyone she'd never do that).

What's really disgraceful is that people like you take the actions of a man working for peace over thirty years ago, and misrepresent them as being "against our country" - while at the same time Johnson was in a university club that smashed up restaurants, and burned fifty pound notes in front of homeless people. Which of them hates the ordinary people of Britain?
The DUP say different, they despise him.