ARTICLE: Eddie Had A Dream

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32526 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

ARTICLE: Eddie Had A Dream

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:46 pm

New book charting the career of Eddie Howe, including his time at Burnley.

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/eddie-had-a-dream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rowls
Been Liked: 5100 times
Has Liked: 5168 times

Re: ARTICLE: Eddie Had A Dream

Post by Rowls » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:52 pm

Given his success at Bournemouth, over two spells, it's remarkable just how mediocre he was here.

And 'mediocre' is being generous too.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:55 pm

Rowls wrote:Given his success at Bournemouth, over two spells, it's remarkable just how mediocre he was here.

Watching Trippier cross to Austin bang. Far from mediocre.

Thanks Eddie for the players you brought here.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2219 times
Has Liked: 2210 times

Post by fidelcastro » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:57 pm

Rowls wrote:Given his success at Bournemouth, over two spells, it's remarkable just how mediocre he was here.

I always got the feeling he didn't really want to be here.

Whether it was his agent putting pressure on him to better himself, I'm not sure, but we were going backwards under him, that's for certain.

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:58 pm

Perfect man for Bournemouth. Even with the money he had available it is unbelievable success.

Never looked comfortable at Burnley.

I will always be thankful to him. He did do his bit in transitioning from Coyle’s ageing squad to a younger setup that Sean has taken forwards so well.
These 2 users liked this post: Buxtonclaret AfloatinClaret

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:00 pm

Some brilliant signings that gave SD a great platform to start from,

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:03 pm

I have a lot of respect for EH and enjoyed a lot of what he was trying to achieve. Unfortunately he was doing the job with the proverbial 'one hand tied behind his back', following on from the departure of OC and the poor appointment of Brian Laws imo, when the 'powder store' was getting low.
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2219 times
Has Liked: 2210 times

Post by fidelcastro » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:09 pm

It'll be interesting if there are any new revelations from his time here.

Who will come in for stick? Laws, the board, the fans, the players?

I'm sure someone will soon tell us.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:15 pm

Eddie Brought some quality players to the turf but we were only going one way under his leadership and that was backwards. He had no idea how to set his defence out as Dyche proved.
To say he had his hands tied is rubbish, Dyche had the same hand and he proved otherwise

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:16 pm

Will probably be disliked on here mostly due to his changes to the youth system. His methods clearly work but just wasn't a good fit for us.

May have been different if it wasn't for his personal problems, I always thought we lacked the kind of players he needed for us to keep the ball effectively and buy into his way of playing.

Interestingly he's got Bournemouth mixing up their play a bit more now.

He'll probably get the England job in the future.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2472 times
Has Liked: 2008 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:19 pm

A marvellous attacking coach and an average defensive coach. Hasn't changed much really has he?

Selby Claret
Been Liked: 402 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by Selby Claret » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:23 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:A marvellous attacking coach and an average defensive coach. Hasn't changed much really has he?
Which is interesting given that he was a defender

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8726 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:57 am

Not my cup of tea for Burnley.
Disrespected players such as Grezza and tried to get the back four passing it back and forth, until the attackers are them up!
Yawn.

Signed good players for the first team and wasted money on some 'promising' nonentities.

Just like they all do.
Messed up youth system with his mate.

Done brilliantly for Bournemouth - a miracle worker.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1770 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:31 am

We were treading water under Howe, but maybe if he had stayed things might’ve eventually clicked...

There was a lot of reassessing to be done after Coyle and Laws and senior players such as Carlisle, Alexander and Jensen probably having too much unwanted influence around the club on reflection.

Certainly laid the foundation for a new manager to build on. He did an ok job all in all, it just wasn’t to be.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:12 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:A marvellous attacking coach and an average defensive coach. Hasn't changed much really has he?
From a very young manager battling for survival in league 2 whilst learning the ropes, to a young manager at an established club in the top flight, who play a brand of football the fans and footballing world want to see, whilst being linked with much bigger jobs and the national job whilst still with that same club he started at in league 2 ( minus a little stray away ).

I'd say he's changed a whole lot, and not just himself he has transformed but a whole club, and a whole town.

You only have to look at the open cheque books at Ewood, Man Utd, Everton, Derby and many more over the years through out the football pyramid to realise cash doesn't equal success.

Regardless of money, it's some story and a massive achievement.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3339 times
Has Liked: 1958 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:48 am

Did a good job clearing out the dead wood and bringing in some excellent replacement.

I don’t think it would have clicked for him here the way it has at Bournemouth though.

padihamclaret
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by padihamclaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:51 pm

Brought in some excellent players for us: Ings, Austin, Vokes, Trippier, Mee, Shackell (i thought he was crap under Howe but excellent under Dyche.) We came pretty close to getting in the playoffs under him. He set things up nicely for Dyche to come in. Can't help comparing him to Cotterill in that repsect.
I was quite bitter when we went down and he took Bournmouth up but I wish him all the best now. Seemed a nice guy as well

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32526 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:13 pm

padihamclaret wrote:We came pretty close to getting in the playoffs under him. He set things up nicely for Dyche to come in
We weren’t anything like close. In his one full season at Burnley we finished in the bottom half and when he left the following season we were hovering close to the bottom three and conceding goals for fun.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:55 pm

He had an eye for a player that's for sure but they all did better here once he left.

I remember being at Peterborough and we were getting tough a footballing lesson his demeanour said everything he didn't have a scooby doo how to change things he looked lost
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1769 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:20 pm

He tried to get us playing a certain style when the players at his disposal were not able to adapt. McCann in a midfield 4 didn't work. We could not keep possession so put unnecessary pressure on the back 4. We needed to score 3 or 4 to win a game as you could guarantee we would concede.

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:04 am

claptrappers_union wrote:We were treading water under Howe, but maybe if he had stayed things might’ve eventually clicked...

There was a lot of reassessing to be done after Coyle and Laws and senior players such as Carlisle, Alexander and Jensen probably having too much unwanted influence around the club on reflection.

Certainly laid the foundation for a new manager to build on. He did an ok job all in all, it just wasn’t to be.
There were a lot of tales from the Laws era that the power had very much shifted too much in favour of the players so it's not that surprising that Howe moved a fair number of them on. Plus, realistically, none of them went on to better things after Burnley.

One thing I do wonder about Howe is how things would have panned out if we'd managed to get Shackell when he first wanted him. He may not have been popular but he was an excellent defender for us and I wonder what impact he would have had in the defence if he'd been here longer.
This user liked this post: Herts Clarets

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1297 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:06 am

In fairness he did bring in some quality and he has been remarkable for Bournemouth, but I never really took to the man. His teams were poor at defending and he over did the passing along the back four to the point of boring me rigid.

Doesn’t hold a candle to the guy who has replaced him.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony