VAR - Off the wall idea

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

VAR - Off the wall idea

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:49 pm

We have replaced a subjective opinion, based on what a Referee saw (or didn't see) with the subjective opinion of another Referee, based on what he/ she has seen on a series of TV sets.

Eliminate subjectivity.

It is not beyond the capability of technicians to create a computer program to analyse footage and, based on programable variables, decide whether someone was off-side or not; whether the ball was handled, or not; whether a foul was committed (not whether there was contact, but whether it was a foul... not sure on the difference, ask Sean Dyche). And, the result would be instant.

We must all agree that goal-line technology has been worthwhile, even if we don't always like it. It is objective and can be proved to be so.

Unless something is done, the VAR infant is in danger of being thrown out with the bathwater.

Thoughts??

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1991 times

Re: VAR - Off the wall idea

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:39 pm

It would help if the arbiters of VAR had the slightest interest in making it a success.
Sitting in a room in Burton with their burgers and beer is not the way to go.
Showing the incident on screen, as in cricket and both rugby codes, would also be an improvement. The ref can also watch the screen and not bother with a pitchside monitor. He can then communicate and discuss with the VAR official. Only then will we get the correct outcome.
This user liked this post: Steve1956

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32402 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:48 pm

The potential to remove subjective decisions has been discussed considerably in the media over the last few days following the complete mess over the weekend. I always believed using it for subjective decisions was a serious mistake.

As for sitting in a room at Burton, I think Stockley Park is some considerable distance away from Burton. :D

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:43 pm

ClaretTony wrote:The potential to remove subjective decisions has been di...

As for sitting in a room at Burton, I think Stockley Park is some considerable distance away from Burton. :D
Yep Stockley park is an industrial park near Heathrow. I think St George's is nearer Burton.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6485 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:54 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:It would help if the arbiters of VAR had the slightest interest in making it a success.
Showing the incident on screen, as in cricket and both rugby codes, would also be an improvement. The ref can also watch the screen and not bother with a pitchside monitor. He can then communicate and discuss with the VAR official. Only then will we get the correct outcome.
This ^

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:52 pm

ClaretTony wrote:The potential to remove subjective decisions has been discussed considerably in the media over the last few days following the complete mess over the weekend. I always believed using it for subjective decisions was a serious mistake.

Apologies. I heard on comms they were in Burton.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32402 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:55 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:Apologies. I heard on comms they were in Burton.
No. VAR HQ is at Stockley Park in Hillingdon.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:58 pm

How does the Championship, League One, League Two etc., etc function with only three onfield officials plus the other one who tries to answer questions
throughout the match and keep the peace?
Surely they can't handle a game properly without VAR --can they?
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:05 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:It would help if the arbiters of VAR had the slightest interest in making it a success.
How can you get the correct outcome if a ref in one match thinks it's a penalty but in another game the ref thinks differently even if the tackle/foul is exactly the same on later inspection?

chipbutty
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 132 times

Post by chipbutty » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:49 pm

Get VAR operated by CGI?

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:51 pm

I like the idea of VAR and support it but, last weekend showed the inconsistencies of having the human, subjective element.

The authorities MUST do something about it before it turns fans against football.

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:29 pm

Spijed wrote:How can you get the correct outcome if a ref in one match thinks it's a penalty but in another game the ref thinks differently even if the tackle/foul is exactly the same on later inspection?
Education. They tinker with interpretation every season but they never put out a pre-season video for the fans to learn what to expect. They say they have meetings with managers but why keep the paying public in the dark. Grey areas, far too many in football.

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:00 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:Grey areas, far too many in football.
That's where the "computer decides" idea is so perfect. Takes no account of man citeh's Billions, or the size of Harry Kane's feet. The criteria are set and everyone signs up to them. This nonsense about his toe being off-side can be catered for. Some years ago, attacking sides were given the benefit of the doubt (allegedly) with marginal off-side decision. That could be dealt with. The computer is given a margin of a given distance (3 inches works for most :lol: )

Take away the inconsistencies, take away the grey.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:05 am

RalphCoatesComb wrote:We have replaced a subjective opinion, based on what a Referee saw (or didn't see) with the subjective opinion of another Referee, based on what he/ she has seen on a series of TV sets.

Eliminate subjectivity.

It is not beyond the capability of technicians to create a computer program to analyse footage and, based on programable variables, decide whether someone was off-side or not; whether the ball was handled, or not; whether a foul was committed (not whether there was contact, but whether it was a foul... not sure on the difference, ask Sean Dyche). And, the result would be instant.

We must all agree that goal-line technology has been worthwhile, even if we don't always like it. It is objective and can be proved to be so.

Unless something is done, the VAR infant is in danger of being thrown out with the bathwater.

Thoughts??
lol. no.

There's nothing wrong with replacing one subjective opinion with another if the new opinion is more accurate. VAR achieves that. It doesn't need to be replaced, it needs to be reformed.

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:14 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:There's nothing wrong with replacing one subjective opinion with another if the new opinion is more accurate. VAR achieves that. It doesn't need to be replaced, it needs to be reformed.
Exactly. Reform it completely. Take away human misinterpretation.

The stakes are too high (financially) for VAR to go tits-up.

Unfortunately, the pundits make things worse. "He was caught. He had a right to do down" Bullsh!t ! That's the first thing that needs stamping out!

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:28 am

RalphCoatesComb wrote:
The authorities MUST do something about it before it turns fans against football.
I’ve been in Australia now for 9 years. Decided I’d get my football fix with the A-League. The quality wasn’t great, but over the first 4 years it was improving. I got my first season ticket for Melbourne Victory and enjoyed the season. The following season VAR came in. Omg it was terrible. I ditched the season ticket, the football was now almost unwatchable. I stayed at home and watched on tv. But even this became less and less as VAR didn’t improve. Now I only see the A-League on the sports news. Crowds are dropping, viewing figures are down. 4 years of VAR and it’s killing the game. IMO.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:45 am

RalphCoatesComb wrote:Exactly. Reform it completely. Take away human misinterpretation.

The stakes are too high (financially) for VAR to go tits-up.

Unfortunately, the pundits make things worse. "He was caught. He had a right to do down" Bullsh!t ! That's the first thing that needs stamping out!
Do you know why it works in tennis? Each camera works independently (there's about a dozen) is hooked up to a computer and is tracking and predicting the trajectory of the ball and return the result inside 10 seconds. It'll take a lot more cameras in football for Hawkeye to track the ball but tracking the ball can definitely be done. But doing so won't achieve anything worthwhile achieving for the cost. Why? Because tracking people is much, much harder than tracking a ball. Hawkeye, when tracking a ball, tracks it frame-by-frame by identifying it based on the colour, shape and size of it, and triangulation is done by taking each frame from the dozen or so cameras to turn a collection of 2d images into a 3d map of the balls trajectory.

To track a person like that would probably be impossible, certainly quickly enough to return a result in a practical amount of time for the result to be useful. Remember, it's about 10 seconds for a ball - one ball - so imagine how much time it'd take to track 22 humans all at once along with all the different sizes, shapes and colours they make and come in.

Hawkeye can't even get their system working to call foot-faults. The idea that Hawkeye can take human subjectivity out of football refereeing anytime soon for things like offside is a pipe dream.

aggi
Been Liked: 2115 times

Post by aggi » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:57 am

RalphCoatesComb wrote:We have replaced a subjective opinion, based on what a Referee saw (or didn't see) with the subjective opinion of another Referee, based on what he/ she has seen on a series of TV sets.

Eliminate subjectivity.

Thoughts??
Putting aside the technical issues of whether this is possible using technology in this way isn't necessarily going to remove bias.

You'd start by showing the computer loads of examples of penalties in the past. What it will learn from that is that if Raheem Sterling collapses to the ground it's probably a penalty. If Ashley Barnes does it probably isn't.

There have been a lot of problems with attempting to do the same kind of thing in areas such as recruitment. What the result has been is that the system reinforces existing bias as that's the behaviour it's been taught.

dsr
Been Liked: 4572 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:43 am

RalphCoatesComb wrote:That's where the "computer decides" idea is so perfect. Takes no account of man citeh's Billions, or the size of Harry Kane's feet. The criteria are set and everyone signs up to them. This nonsense about his toe being off-side can be catered for. Some years ago, attacking sides were given the benefit of the doubt (allegedly) with marginal off-side decision. That could be dealt with. The computer is given a margin of a given distance (3 inches works for most :lol: )

Take away the inconsistencies, take away the grey.
3 inches isn't enough for offsides. A running footballer covers 3 inches in a hundredth of a second, and the TV cameras don't do 100 frames per second, so any assessment of 3 inches offside is bogus. It's like trying to measure food ingredients on bathroom scales - OK if you're bulk baking and using 20 pounds of flour, but hopeless for 8 ounces.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 513 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:58 am

Talk about asking for the impossible. There are always going to be subjective decisions in football and until the rules are 100 percent black and white I don't see that changing with or without VAR.

How can you eliminate subjectivity from, for example, handball/ball to hand?

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:06 pm

aggi wrote:What it will learn from that is that if Raheem Sterling collapses to the ground it's probably a penalty. If Ashley Barnes does it probably isn't.
Sterling is better at diving than Barnes.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2333 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:23 pm

Here's a thought ....

Give the Referee back control, one official with VAR to suggest to the Referee that he might want to look again at an incident. Also, Referee can ask to look at a goal/penalty/foul play incident. He goes to the side of the pitch, watches the monitor and acts accordingly ... Replays on big screens if facilities are there ..

Referee regains his authority, and gets to make the decision based on the best information available ...

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:27 pm

boyyanno wrote:Talk about asking for the impossible. There are always going to be subjective decisions in football and until the rules are 100 percent black and white I don't see that changing with or without VAR.

How can you eliminate subjectivity from, for example, handball/ball to hand?
This is it. If there's 5 referees on the field, some decisions will still be subjective. If there's a few people working for VAR that'll be subjective. As for technology, it'll be possible, but the algorithm will be very in-depth and it'll only be as good as the person programming it.

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:29 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Referee regains his authority, and gets to make the decision based on the best information available ...
Good idea but is fatty-boy Moss going to overturn himself? He'd be lucky to make it the the monitor before the half-time whistle was due ;)

RalphCoatesComb

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:32 pm

FactualFrank wrote:As for technology, it'll be possible, but the algorithm will be very in-depth and it'll only be as good as the person programming it.
Correct. If they can land a man on the moon with a ZX-Spectrum, anything is possible. Have you not been watching "The Capture"?

Carport
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Carport » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:09 am

I expect the use of AI including machine learning to be common place in football within the next decade given the rate of technological advance. So yes I can see VAR become more and more objective as computerised image analysis is utilised; eventually becoming performant in near real time and even replacing referees entirely within perhaps fifty years. For now, a quick fix solution might be to introduce a timer for VAR decisions. The VAR referee has sixty seconds to decide whether the infield ref has missed something clear and obvious. If the VAR ref can’t make such a decision within sixty seconds because the circumstances are too complex or finally balanced to be able to judge within that time frame then it follows that the original decision cannot be a clear and obvious error. On field decision stands. Doesn’t delay play too long. Could display ticking clock for crowd to see to add to the tension. I expect Wood’s goal vs Leicester would have stood as the decision came well after one minute.

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:34 am

"...... I expect Wood’s goal vs Leicester would have stood as the decision came well after one minute."

Without VAR being in use, Wood's goal v Leicester would have stood because the onfield officials gave a goal.
Quite a novel idea for the onfield officials to make a decision, they have only been doing it for well over one hundred years without interference ---just how has the game survived?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:44 am

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:"...... I expect Wood’s goal vs Leicester would have stood as the decision came well after one minute."

Without VAR being in use, Wood's goal v Leicester would have stood because the onfield officials gave a goal.
Quite a novel idea for the onfield officials to make a decision, they have only been doing it for well over one hundred years without interference ---just how has the game survived?
But did the Ball cross the line? Wembley 1966

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:53 am

A.I. algorithms to decide if someone tripped up or not? We've already lost the plot with VAR.

It's just a sport, a way for people to keep fit and compete. And at the top level, a form of entertainment. That's it though.. nobody dies or gets locked up if we get an offside wrong. We're losing way more than we're gaining, even if we have 20 refs, a dozen VARs and an AI robot doing 20,000 calculations a second.

Imagine John Francis winner at York in 2022, instead of 1992. He bundles the ball in, and a few thousand clarets applaud then nervously look to a screen to see if they can celebrate properly or take the ridicule of York fans because it hit someone's hand or there was a foul a minute earlier.

100%, VAR is just for joyless geeks.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:46 pm

tim_noone wrote:But did the Ball cross the line? Wembley 1966
Easy answer, tim, according to the officials it crossed the line and nothing that can be done, digitally or otherwise, will change the result.
The use of goal line technology is a good thing because it is black and white, however, the use of VAR....................................

"......100%, VAR is just for joyless geeks."

Unfortunately, notts, it is exactly what the modern fan and pundit want in the game so that everything will be 100% correct ----which is what they are achieving -----isn't it? ;)