ARTICLE: Thrilling finale as Burnley hang on against City

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32393 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

ARTICLE: Thrilling finale as Burnley hang on against City

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:18 am

Latest from the 1959/60 season

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/thrilling-f ... ainst-city" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Re: ARTICLE: Thrilling finale as Burnley hang on against City

Post by Suratclaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:29 am

What a brilliant series this is! These reports are bringing back so many memories not only of that superb season but of local events as well.
That game was not for those of nervous disposition...particularly the last ten minutes or so! But then Burnley have always kept us on the edge of our seats so to speak. I've said this previously but modern day coaches would have been having apoplexy at defences.
Can't wait for the next game!
This user liked this post: dsr

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:22 am

Suratclaret wrote:What a brilliant series this is! These reports are bringing back so many memories not only of that superb season but of local events as well.
That game was not for those of nervous disposition...particularly the last ten minutes or so! But then Burnley have always kept us on the edge of our seats so to speak. I've said this previously but modern day coaches would have been having apoplexy at defences.
Can't wait for the next game!
That game sort of reminded me of the home game against Blackpool in the 1972/73 second division title winning season. We were 4-0 up just past the hour and still 4-1 in front with seven minutes to go, then found ourselves hanging on at 4-3 for the last few minutes.
This user liked this post: Suratclaret

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2530 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:27 am

Not too sure that I attended this game. My mum was always keen for me to go with my dad and brothers but she was always concerned when we played the bigger city clubs. I think this might have been the case here. Everton was always off the fixture list, certainly for another season or two.
As with Suratclaret though some great memories revived from my childhood. Beetle drives,2d, Rinso and the weekly wash( running through bedsheets filling the backstreet hung out to dry and getting a telling off for doing so). Many iconic names in the City line-up too and another side with a dangerous looking forward line. Really enjoying this series.
This user liked this post: Suratclaret

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7178 times

Post by Quicknick » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:31 am

You suggest White had his critics, Tony. Was he the butt of the terrace bigots? We've had a few of those over the years. I had never heard of White until this wonderful series.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:32 am

Silkyskills1 wrote:Many iconic names in the City line-up too and another side with a dangerous looking forward line. Really enjoying this series.
And they'd added a certain Denis Law by the time we played them again that season

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:34 am

Quicknick wrote:You suggest White had his critics, Tony. Was he the butt of the terrace bigots? We've had a few of those over the years. I had never heard of White until this wonderful series.
I suppose it is more a case of when you came into the team for the absent Jimmy McIlroy, as he often did, then you are not going to be the most popular player. I didn't see very much of him at all and to be honest can't remember too much about him.

I think he was the first player who featured in that season to pass away. He died in December 2000 at just 64.

Suratclaret

Post by Suratclaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:46 am

ClaretTony wrote:And they'd added a certain Denis Law by the time we played them again that season
You know,for the life of me I can't remember how that match ended :D :D :D
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1279 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:55 pm

Plenty of goals as was the norm between these two sides at the time. But the key from our point of view was the win which ended a poor spell of results and kickstarted our season.

Petersa
Been Liked: 206 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by Petersa » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:10 pm

Forget the football is there a report on a weekend of Ian Cherry playing on his organ

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:29 pm

Anyone ever sampled the UCP tripe mentioned in the article?!

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:40 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:Anyone ever sampled the UCP tripe mentioned in the article?!
There used to be a tripe stall on Haslingden market in the 1950's and 1960's JDM. Never tried it and never wanted to but one relative of mine swore by it!!!!!!!
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

JohnDearyMe

Post by JohnDearyMe » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:57 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:There used to be a tripe stall on Haslingden market in the 1950's and 1960's JDM. Never tried it and never wanted to but one relative of mine swore by it!!!!!!!
Haha. Just the thought of it turns my stomach!

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1141 times

Post by FCBurnley » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:29 pm

Was on this game and remember it well. Started celebrating a bit too soon and nearly threw a point away. Still behind Rovers and PNE so POTTS OUT. And yes I have had lots of UCP tripe both cold and warm with onions. Also trotters and elder (not Alex). Delicious

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1141 times

Post by FCBurnley » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:30 pm

Was on this game and remember it well. Started celebrating a bit too soon and nearly threw a point away. Still behind Rovers and PNE so POTTS OUT. And yes I have had lots of UCP tripe both cold and warm with onions. Also trotters and elder (not Alex). Delicious but not as good as black pudding

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:01 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:Anyone ever sampled the UCP tripe mentioned in the article?!
My dad loved tripe and trotters. We even had a tripe shop just round the corner from where we lived. Must say I couldn’t even think of eating the stuff.

JohnDearyMe

Post by JohnDearyMe » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:27 pm

ClaretTony wrote:My dad loved tripe and trotters. We even had a tripe shop just round the corner from where we lived. Must say I couldn’t even think of eating the stuff.
Wow, a whole shop dedicated to tripe!

Great series of articles, not just for the football but the social history and the memories it provokes on here.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:45 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:Haha. Just the thought of it turns my stomach!
Nutritious apparently but then we tend to believe our older brothers.Always wrapped in newspaper when it arrived as were fish and chips but I know which I preferred.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7178 times

Post by Quicknick » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:47 am

ClaretTony wrote:I suppose it is more a case of when you came into the team for the absent Jimmy McIlroy, as he often did, then you are not going to be the most popular player. I didn't see very much of him at all and to be honest can't remember too much about him.

I think he was the first player who featured in that season to pass away. He died in December 2000 at just 64.
I googled him after reading an earlier article in this series and noted his death. Whatever his detractors may have said, he played quite a few games and scored several goals in a champions of England side.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:15 am

JohnDearyMe wrote:Wow, a whole shop dedicated to tripe!

Great series of articles, not just for the football but the social history and the memories it provokes on here.
I assume there would have been several tripe shops around town, the one I referred to was on Lyndhurst Road. It's Jimmy Anderson's dad's opticians now.

Petersa

Post by Petersa » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:31 am

Nothing nicer than tripe and chips. My Grandma used to say if it was twice the price more people would eat it

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:35 am

Petersa wrote:Nothing nicer than tripe and chips. My Grandma used to say if it was twice the price more people would eat it
That's an old saying is that about the price - I'm not sure I'd ever want to touch the stuff if it were free to be honest.

Suratclaret

Post by Suratclaret » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:21 pm

Used to be several tripe stalls on the open market back in the day and there was a shop in Padiham which sold green tripe i.e. unbleached. Tried tripe once and never again.
I remember one match at the Turf years ago when Burnley were absolutely dire. There was someone standing nearby who, with about 15minutes to go, said he'd seen better tripe on Burnley market and off he went.

Petersa

Post by Petersa » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:20 pm

ClaretTony wrote:That's an old saying is that about the price - I'm not sure I'd ever want to touch the stuff if it were free to be honest.
Sadly you can't get it where I now live. In days gone by when I could my good lady would get me single portion bring it home but other than that would not touch it! It really is lovely, you don't know what you're missing.