Southampton vs Leicester

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Re: Southampton vs Leicester

Post by Longside4evr » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:35 pm

They should have had a draw at Anfield they were rob there by Main
This Leicester team is very good in my view and will be 3 or 4 come the business end

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1852 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:37 pm

Longside4evr wrote:...
that's the difference with been an ambitious club
There's also the minor matter of their owners being worth US$4.9 billion. (Forbes)
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank turfytopper

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:39 pm

Longside4evr wrote:They should have had a draw at Anfield they were rob there by Main
And we should have had a draw at the King Power.

Leicester actually got pasted at Anfield, they only had two shots in the whole game.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:48 pm

Longside4evr wrote:Leicester unearth players season after season and make some astronomical profits allowing them to move forward, we where a head of them in the championship and that remarkable fight back with the get out of jail card it end condeming us with to much to do.
then us and them winning our leagues respectably with that next season playing in the champions league really kicked them on and all the building and very good recruitment has payed dividends.
we had a good chance to get some quality when we got our Europe placing and should have push our boundaries a bit more Heart Gibson and Vydra over a year on and its half a season from all three in over a year and i though we would have pushed on
Post full of pure ignorance, that or fishing.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3077 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:50 pm

Longside4evr wrote:Leicester unearth players season after season and make some astronomical profits allowing them to move forward, we where a head of them in the championship and that remarkable fight back with the get out of jail card it end condeming us with to much to do.
then us and them winning our leagues respectably with that next season playing in the champions league really kicked them on and all the building and very good recruitment has payed dividends.
we had a good chance to get some quality when we got our Europe placing and should have push our boundaries a bit more Heart Gibson and Vydra over a year on and its half a season from all three in over a year and i though we would have pushed on
Really sad read.
Leicester broke FFP in gaining promotion. They had a mega bucks sugar daddy to push them on, so they could afford to take a gamble on players, and they have unearthed some great ones. That first season up with SD when Taylor hit the post on the penalty and then they went straight up the other end and scored, probably changed both our seasons. They could easily have gone down instead of us. Despite all the talk of how Leicester are a potential top 4 side, it took an extremely dodgy VAR decision to rob us of a point at their place. All in all we should be celebrating our achievements, rather than looking on them enviously, or criticising our road to success.
These 11 users liked this post: ClaretLoup MT03ALG LeadBelly HunterST_BFC Spijed groove mdd2 Goodclaret evensteadiereddie AndrewJB ClaretTony

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1006 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by LeadBelly » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:27 pm

Leicester's success has been hugely tied in with the financial support from Thailand/King Power, though they've made pretty much the most of it.
Anyway, tonight I forgive them because Ive been able to take the p*** out of some Southampton supporters on the train on the way home + I've got Chilwell & Vardy (as Captain) in my Fantasy Football team.
59 points for 2 players in one game- that's more than I usually get in a week with all 11.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:33 pm

LeadBelly wrote:Leicester's success has been hugely tied in with the financial support from Thailand/King Power, though they've made pretty much the most of it.
Anyway, tonight I forgive them because Ive been able to take the p*** out of some Southampton supporters on the train on the way home + I've got Chilwell & Vardy (as Captain) in my Fantasy Football team.
59 points for 2 players in one game- that's more than I usually get in a week with all 11.
You just know some will have captained Chillwell.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:40 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Fair enough, I suppose VAR can also refer to the bloke watching the screens as well as the technology itself.
VAR stands for Video Assistant Referee so it actually is a person! The system they view incidents is a computer monitor so they can add the lines and do the freeze frame stuff

Helmshore Claret
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Helmshore Claret » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:02 am

Longside4evr wrote:They should have had a draw at Anfield they were rob there by Main
This Leicester team is very good in my view and will be 3 or 4 come the business end
Yep, they were robbed at Anfield, like we were at Leicester.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1663 times
Has Liked: 2972 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:18 am

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7173 times

Post by Quicknick » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:45 am

conyoviejo wrote:Southampton have been very unlucky.
Irony at its finest.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:41 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:Really sad read.
Leicester broke FFP in gaining promotion. They had a mega bucks sugar daddy to push them on, so they could afford to take a gamble on players, and they have unearthed some great ones. That first season up with SD when Taylor hit the post on the penalty and then they went straight up the other end and scored, probably changed both our seasons. They could easily have gone down instead of us. Despite all the talk of how Leicester are a potential top 4 side, it took an extremely dodgy VAR decision to rob us of a point at their place. All in all we should be celebrating our achievements, rather than looking on them enviously, or criticising our road to success.
And let's not forget the Kingpower stadium didn't cost them a single penny to build.

They went into administration and were able to completely write off the debt, whilst many local businesses went to the wall.
These 3 users liked this post: turfytopper Colburn_Claret tiger76

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:04 am

4:20 wrote:Biggest ever top flight away win, historic stuff.
Leicester also have the recorded for a top flight loss 12-0 away to Forest

And they hold the record for the highest top flight draw 6-6 against Arsenal
This user liked this post: 4:20

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:24 am

Steve1956 wrote:Leicester have unearthed a gem in Harvey Barnes.
And he was born in Burnley.

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:32 am

turfytopper wrote:And he was born in Burnley.
And he was pretty much unearthed by west brom when he went on loan there last year. It was Leicester recalling him after he'd set the championship alight in the first half of the season that stopped the baggies going up imo. One of Aston villa or sheff u have a lot to thank Leicester for.
This user liked this post: turfytopper

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:44 am

You don't just become a good team by spending money, to have to have something else there too.

It's all well and good to sneer and then and say "but they've spent 40 quadrillion", so what? It takes management and ownership to make a rich team good.

Well done Leicester.
This user liked this post: Longside4evr

Lord Beamish
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:12 am

I’ve just watched the highlights. Leicester were sensational, but Southampton were truly abject. How on Earth do you come back from that?

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5070 times
Has Liked: 6839 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:29 am

Oh when the goals go marching in.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:31 am

Lord Beamish wrote:I’ve just watched the highlights. Leicester were sensational, but Southampton were truly abject. How on Earth do you come back from that?
Well we did post boxing day 2018 and then it was 11 v 11

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:32 am

I'm a bit confused about the red card.
It's clearly a red in terms of the tackle, but it wasn't a foul - as in, Leicester went on and scored anyway, so when the player was sent off the next action was a southampton kick off.

The clear and obvious mistake is that the referee missed it - if the ref had seen it it would have been a red card and a free kick rather than a goal, so by extension that should be the outcome of the VAR review. Bring the play back to before the goal, send the player off and award a free kick.

I can't recall an instance in the past where a ref has seen a red card offence, waved play on, allows a goal and then goes back and sends the player off. It's usually one or the other.
It probably has happened, and I'm rather rambling, but it seems more than a little harsh.
This user liked this post: simonclaret

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:34 am

mdd2 wrote:Well we did post boxing day 2018 and then it was 11 v 11
Last Boxing Day was bad, no doubt about it, but Southampton’s defeat yesterday was several orders of magnitude worse than that.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:34 am

I'm amazed none of the so called bigger clubs were in for Tielemans. He'd certainly improve United and Arsenals midfield.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:40 am

Yoshida was responsible for possibly 5 goals. Valery 3.

If as a manager you can't even work out how to defend as a unit you must be gone, surely.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:41 am

Lord Beamish wrote:Last Boxing Day was bad, no doubt about it, but Southampton’s defeat yesterday was several orders of magnitude worse than that.
Agreed Beamish but it doesn't mean that the Saints cannot regroup after that performance and with 11 v 11 it would not have been 9-0 surely?
Suspect Soton will regroup once they change manager next week or the week after. Their next 4 games look losable- City x 2 away (league Cup and league) Everton home, Arsenal away and then two home games against Watford and Norwich.

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:44 am

mdd2 wrote:Agreed Beamish but it doesn't mean that the Saints cannot regroup after that performance and with 11 v 11 it would not have been 9-0 surely?
Suspect Soton will regroup once they change manager next week or the week after. Their next 4 games look losable- City x 2 away (league Cup and league) Everton home, Arsenal away and then two home games against Watford and Norwich.
The change of Manager was really what I was driving at. Hasenhuttl is a busted flush. There’s no way he’s stopping this ship from sinking.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:51 am

duncandisorderly wrote:I'm a bit confused about the red card.
It's clearly a red in terms of the tackle, but it wasn't a foul - as in, Leicester went on and scored anyway, so when the player was sent off the next action was a southampton kick off.

The clear and obvious mistake is that the referee missed it - if the ref had seen it it would have been a red card and a free kick rather than a goal, so by extension that should be the outcome of the VAR review. Bring the play back to before the goal, send the player off and award a free kick.

I can't recall an instance in the past where a ref has seen a red card offence, waved play on, allows a goal and then goes back and sends the player off. It's usually one or the other.
It probably has happened, and I'm rather rambling, but it seems more than a little harsh.
It's an interesting one. As I understand it, refs aren't supposed to play advantage for straight red card offences. Obviously it's different if the offence is missed and picked up by VAR. I wonder if, had the next break in play been the ball going out at the sideline, the game would restart with a throw in or a free kick to Leicester.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:17 am

Don't know whats happened to Southampton they had one of the best academies about bring youth through season after season
But sold and sold off all there talent now that's come to pass they look ordinary and need a complete overall.
I think they have gone through 7 managers in the last five years looking very unstable

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:35 am

Stalbansclaret wrote:Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Theres five points in there what you sneering at

First point they have recruited very well over the last six years building a team capable of challenging for a top six winning the league to boot

Second point they have sold players for very good profits to put money back to recruit

Third point when they beat us at the Turf that set them up for a very good run to survive putting us in a difficult position

Forth point we could have recruited better when got into Europe

Fifth point we haven't got big money men to allow us to buy 20 30 40 million pound players so we have to blood what we can afford and hope our academy comes good with some gems
Whats Hahaha about that Dick

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:41 am

Helmshore Claret wrote:Yep, they were robbed at Anfield, like we were at Leicester.
Two completely different games, we got rob at the King Power stadium that's a defiant
But i dont think our side at this point of the season would have held Liverpool at Anfield 1-1 till 3 minute of injury time

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:48 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:Really sad read.
Taylor hit the post and wasn't our regular pen taker why he did fancy it and took it unfolds the story.
They did and i despise them and everything about them but it doesn't take away what they have done in the history books does it

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:50 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Post full of pure ignorance, that or fishing.
Pure ignorance another blinded by facts and jumping on the band wagon Leicester will be in the top six come the end of the season

Helmshore Claret

Post by Helmshore Claret » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:10 am

jrgbfc wrote:I'm amazed none of the so called bigger clubs were in for Tielemans. He'd certainly improve United and Arsenals midfield.
Last week, Tielemans dwelt too long on the ball, was robbed by Lowton and had justice prevailed,would have been culpable for the equaliser. MOTD might then have had difficulty in making him MOM.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3077 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:15 am

Longside4evr wrote:Taylor hit the post and wasn't our regular pen taker why he did fancy it and took it unfolds the story.
They did and i despise them and everything about them but it doesn't take away what they have done in the history books does it
I'm not taking away what they've achieved , only the fine margins involved, and your disappointment that we haven't followed the same route. It was a path we could never tread, under the circumstances, but I wouldn't change places with them at all.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:25 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:I'm not taking away what they've achieved , only the fine margins involved, and your disappointment that we haven't followed the same route. It was a path we could never tread, under the circumstances, but I wouldn't change places with them at all.
Neither would i, poster's are hitting on my post as though i support them.
Hated Nigel Pearson, carn't get my head round how they escaped the administration saga and allowed to carry on like nothing was a miss corrupted club in my mind.
Vardy well probably won them more penalties at professional diving to win the league.
But all this dosnt merit what they done but they done it and if we had done the same we be ecstatic about it too.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:45 pm

ClaretMov wrote:Leicester also have the recorded for a top flight loss 12-0 away to Forest

And they hold the record for the highest top flight draw 6-6 against Arsenal
Sorry but these were presumably before 1992 and so have therefore been expunged from history.

Expunged - I like saying that word.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5267 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:49 pm

mdd2 wrote:Well we did post boxing day 2018 and then it was 11 v 11
Us last Boxing Day and Southampton last night are incomparable

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:37 pm

Southampton were Poorly McPoorpoor!

Helmshore Claret

Post by Helmshore Claret » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:51 pm

Longside4evr wrote:Two completely different games, we got rob at the King Power stadium that's a defiant
But i dont think our side at this point of the season would have held Liverpool at Anfield 1-1 till 3 minute of injury time
Not quite sure where we are going on this one! Leicester gained 2pts last week but only lost 1pt at Liverpool so ,overall, they are 1pt up thanks to the 'car crash' called VAR. As for us in a game at Anfield that's one for Mystic Meg. Also I am inclined to think that even the aforementioned lady would not have predicted a Norwich win over Man City.

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by ClaretEngineer » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:33 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:You don't just become a good team by spending money, to have to have something else there too.

It's all well and good to sneer and then and say "but they've spent 40 quadrillion", so what? It takes management and ownership to make a rich team good.

Well done Leicester.
I live here and I have to put up with all the Leicester is the centre of the universe nonsense...

...yes the free stadium thing does rankle a bit a from the moral perspective. However it’s upto the FA or whichever to impose sanctions. Something they didn’t do until after Leicester went into administration. Not really Leicester’s fault is it?

One thing we should be envious of is their scouting network. As you say, look at the players they bring in. They spend well and like us they go about it quietly.

GodIsADeeJay81
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:37 pm

Longside4evr wrote:Pure ignorance another blinded by facts and jumping on the band wagon Leicester will be in the top six come the end of the season
I fully accept that Leicester are best placed to get into the top 6.
I was referring to your post being full of crap.

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:02 pm

Helmshore Claret wrote:Not quite sure where we are going on this one! Leicester gained 2pts last week but only lost 1pt at Liverpool so ,overall, they are 1pt up thanks to the 'car crash' called VAR. As for us in a game at Anfield that's one for Mystic Meg. Also I am inclined to think that even the aforementioned lady would not have predicted a Norwich win over Man City.
That's dream land though isn't it Norwich got annihilate by Villa
Liverpool are solid as it wiĺl take a mammoth performance from a team to turn them over just like ciry when they were at toip of there game

Longside4evr

Post by Longside4evr » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:11 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:I fully accept that Leicester are best placed to get into the top 6.
I was referring to your post being full of crap.
You are deluded just chill out and see what a team as good as we have been can accelerate and cement a place dream on pal
My opinion you just keep yours in yer pants pal cos its idiotic opinion