Clapping today

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Re: Clapping today

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:13 am

DCWat wrote:Does the club charge for the privilege?

Best thing to do would be to say that from next season all are restricted to the designated game.
That would make most sense; announce it as the policy then they wouldn't have to refuse requests.
This user liked this post: ElectroClaret

Leisure
Been Liked: 3772 times
Has Liked: 12363 times

Post by Leisure » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:14 am

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Lets have this right.....nobody over the age of 30 surely gives a toss that when they die they get a round of applause in the minute of their age at time of passing. They didnt grow up in this pointless social media age where everybody wants 15 mins of fame online. I am sure that the 3 we are now being expected to clap would not have given a toss about strangers clapping them.
Obviously it won't matter to them but it will certainly matter to their family and friends!

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:18 am

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Lets have this right.....nobody over the age of 30 surely gives a toss that when they die they get a round of applause in the minute of their age at time of passing. They didnt grow up in this pointless social media age where everybody wants 15 mins of fame online. I am sure that the 3 we are now being expected to clap would not have given a toss about strangers clapping them. They would want them cherishing the times they spent together.
Absolutely. Specific recognition should be in exceptional circumstances only e.g. the passing of a Burnley legend where personally I would prefer one minute silence. The rest is marked at the annual memorial - it's what that is for. All this clapping stuff and it's regularity is way over the top.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:20 am

wilks_bfc wrote:So we are having one on 57, 60 & 64?

I really hope Chelsea don’t score in any of those minutes then
I posted that a long time ago on a similar thread.
The more often this happens the higher the odds that eventually it will coincide with a disastrous minute for us on the pitch, and it will turn out really badly.
Just imagine a controversial VAR goes against us for an Ashley Barnes red card on 56 mins, another VAR for a dodgy penalty against us on 60 and then a disallowed goal for us on 64 and we're expected to applaud like happy clappers.
It should all be left to the annual memorial, but if any compromise is to be made then all 3 (or in future maybe more), should be done immediately before the teams come out onto the pitch. We can then - if we choose - look at the screen and applaud, and it doesn't distract us or the players from the actual game.
These 2 users liked this post: Grumps paulatky

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:23 am

I don't know Paul, I just know that it has been arranged for this mark of respect to a lifelong Claret fan. Nobody is forced to clap and I'm sure the family would not want anyone to be upset over it.
I do agree that on the morning of the match it is poor judgement and insensitive to start this thread. Sometimes there is time to be silent and sometimes a time to speak. Sorry Cleveleys
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32240 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:25 am

DCWat wrote:Does the club charge for the privilege?

Best thing to do would be to say that from next season all are restricted to the designated game.
I would assume they charge, they do for everything else on the big screen.

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1506 times

Post by Goodclaret » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:30 am

I enquired at the club two years ago when Jordan, the young Accrington academy player, tragically passed away and they were going to charge me £50 for putting a picture of him up on the screen. I declined.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:32 am

Goodclaret wrote:I enquired at the club two years ago when Jordan, the young Accrington academy player, tragically passed away and they were going to charge me £50 for putting a picture of him up on the screen. I declined.
Just checked - it is £50
This user liked this post: Goodclaret

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:40 am

Elizabeth wrote:I don't know Paul, I just know that it has been arranged for this mark of respect to a lifelong Claret fan. Nobody is forced to clap and I'm sure the family would not want anyone to be upset over it.
I do agree that on the morning of the match it is poor judgement and insensitive to start this thread. Sometimes there is time to be silent and sometimes a time to speak. Sorry Cleveleys
Truly sorry for anyones loss. It is just I only saw the tweet this morning for the 57th minute clap hence me asking. Although when one is already arranged for the 60th minute which it had been and then now one in 57th and 64th you your self must admit this is a bit of shambles. You can not tell me that the 64th minute clap will be respected in the same way as the 57th minute one. I dont want anyone upset over this but why isnt the once a year memoriam any good anymore.

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:41 am

ClaretTony wrote:Just checked - it is £50
This makes the whole thing even worse. Next the club will advertising the deaths of fans cats and dogs as long as they can profit by 4.5k a match

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:42 am

With the average age of our support base increasing, this is only going to become more frequent. Always find it a really weird thing to request or partake in.

Do they make the same requests at the local supermarket they used to use? Or the bus that took them to work everyday? Why a football match?
These 2 users liked this post: Cleveleys_claret paulatky

taio

Post by taio » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:43 am

ClaretTony wrote:Just checked - it is £50
This is bonkers on two counts.
These 2 users liked this post: Cleveleys_claret nil_desperandum

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6721 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:47 am

Part of my matchday experience is having a few in the miners in the old days it was more enjoyable then the football TBH. I wouldn't expect my picture going up on the tele in there and everyone feeling they needed to clap me because it was something I liked to do.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:48 am

taio wrote:This is bonkers on two counts.
Why?

If they charge £50 to have a birthday message displayed, why shouldn’t an ‘in memory’ one be charged the same

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:49 am

Cleveleys_claret wrote:but why isnt the once a year memoriam any good anymore.
I was the one who suggested the in memoriam to the club some years ago having seen something similar on tv at Southampton. It was dismissed out of hand by then chief executive Paul Fletcher who wouldn’t allow it; he would only permit applause and with the players off the pitch.

Lee Hoos was the one who supported it and we held the first one in January 2013 when we played Palace. I received a lot of criticism on the message board for it because I was told football is for football. But it got a lot of support, has become established and in my opinion it is the right way to remember fellow Clarets. If people don’t want to support it they can even stay on the concourse. I’ve since had very positive comments about it from some of the players too.

Unfortunately the continuing mid game applauses will eventually make it redundant.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:50 am

Leisure wrote:Obviously it won't matter to them but it will certainly matter to their family and friends!
My Grandad was a massive claret but when he passed away I didn't expect a minutes applause on the Turf. Family and friends attended his funeral and we marked his passing in our own way. I don't see why a stadium full of people being forced to clap along for a complete stranger is a benefit to anyone tbh.
These 4 users liked this post: ClaretTony bfcjg longsidepies paulatky

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:51 am

I respect your reply. Please understand that I would be more than happy to debate this on any other day than today.
I will simply refer you to my first post this morning about the significance to the family of the Chelsea game.
The family are still suffering their great loss and this could the first part of the healing process for them.
These 3 users liked this post: Leisure cricketfieldclarets conyoviejo

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:57 am

ClaretTony wrote:I was the one who suggested the in memoriam to the club some years ago having seen something similar on tv at Southampton. It was dismissed out of hand by then chief executive Paul Fletcher who wouldn’t allow it; he would only permit applause and with the players off the pitch.

Lee Hoos was the one who supported it and we held the first one in January 2013 when we played Palace. I received a lot of criticism on the message board for it because I was told football is for football. But it got a lot of support, has become established and in my opinion it is the right way to remember fellow Clarets. If people don’t want to support it they can even stay on the concourse. I’ve since had very positive comments about it from some of the players too.

Unfortunately the continuing mid game applauses will eventually make it redundant.
It is by far the best way to go about it. The problem is is that once you open the door (the club by doing it each match, not your idea) it is hard to close it without the club looking like the bad guy. Nor does it help that they charge for it. Fingers crossed people get bored of it and everyone starts using the memoriam date again

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:10 pm

jrgbfc wrote:My Grandad was a massive claret but when he passed away I didn't expect a minutes applause on the Turf. Family and friends attended his funeral and we marked his passing in our own way. I don't see why a stadium full of people being forced to clap along for a complete stranger is a benefit to anyone tbh.
'being forced to clap' - now you are being silly! :lol:

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:15 pm

Leisure wrote:'being forced to clap' - now you are being silly! :lol:
To be honest I thought the daftest post on this thread was suggesting people go for a pint if they don’t agree with it. People feeling they are being forced to clap is how it can feel, it’s far from silly.
This user liked this post: paulatky

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:24 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Really?
Yes, really! Please elaborate, as I'm at a loss to understand just how someones enjoyment will be interrupted by other fans clapping?

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:25 pm

ClaretTony wrote:To be honest I thought the daftest post on this thread was suggesting people go for a pint if they don’t agree with it. People feeling they are being forced to clap is how it can feel, it’s far from silly.
Being forced how/by whom?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:31 pm

Leisure wrote:Yes, really! Please elaborate, as I'm at a loss to understand just how someones enjoyment will be interrupted by other fans clapping?
I am there to watch a football match. My attention is on the football match. End of story for me.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:35 pm

Leisure wrote:Being forced how/by whom?
No one is forced, and personally I don't agree with it, but when it happens something inside me forces me to join in, since once it is up there I feel that I have to respect it, (but i'd rather it not happen).

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:39 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I was the one who suggested the in memoriam to the club some years ago having seen something similar on tv at Southampton. It was dismissed out of hand by then chief executive Paul Fletcher who wouldn’t allow it; he would only permit applause and with the players off the pitch.

Don’t see the difference between the two personally.

You can stand and observe either, respect either or choose not to for either. Insensitive post especially on the day of the request.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:41 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I am there to watch a football match. My attention is on the football match. End of story for me.
Except before the Leicester game? And on armistice day games?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:44 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Don’t see the difference between the two personally
cricketfieldclarets wrote:Except before the Leicester game? And on armistice day games?
They are observed BEFORE the game. That's entirely different.
These 3 users liked this post: nil_desperandum wilks_bfc paulatky

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:45 pm

Leisure wrote:Being forced how/by whom?
When it starts you always get a few blank looks, then people generally join in, due to feeling some sort of obligation, despite not knowing what they're supposed to be applauding for.
This user liked this post: paulatky

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:45 pm

ClaretTony wrote:They are observed BEFORE the game. That's entirely different.
Not really especially if you are ONLY there for the football.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:48 pm

Here’s a novel thought.

To those who it means something to look at it, clap, respect it.

To those it doesn’t, ignore it. Nobody HAS to join in.

There have been quite a few recently. Some for people I knew. Some I didn’t.

For those I did know I’ve joined in, sang, clapped.

For those I didn’t know I’ve started not to join in. But respect that those who did know them did join in and it did mean something to them. To have their loved one on screen. Someone who they want to games with. Who left an empty seat next to them.

Nobody has to do anything. But respect those who want to. Don’t make it about you.
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure Elizabeth

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:49 pm

[quote="ClaretTony"]I am there to watch a football match. My attention is on the football match. End of story for me.[/quote

That's your personal choice and that's fine but others maybe can clap and still enjoy the match.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:50 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Not really especially if you are ONLY there for the football.
Once it's kicked off, I didn't think that actually needed any explaining.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:51 pm

jrgbfc wrote:When it starts you always get a few blank looks, then people generally join in, due to feeling some sort of obligation, despite not knowing what they're supposed to be applauding for.
How do you know that they only join in because they feel some sort of obligation? Did they tell you this?
Last edited by Leisure on Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:51 pm

jrgbfc wrote:When it starts you always get a few blank looks, then people generally join in, due to feeling some sort of obligation, despite not knowing what they're supposed to be applauding for.
You are spot on, people feeling some sort of obligation. Made worse the other week when some in front of us decided to stand for it, so blocking our view.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:53 pm

Leisure wrote:How do you know that they only join in because they feel some sort of obligation? Did they tell you this?
The confused looks on their faces before they start clapping is a bit of a give away.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:58 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Once it's kicked off, I didn't think that actually needed any explaining.
You’ve changed your tune.
Attachments
6F8F1C79-2791-4F5D-B434-2D2F7F836240.jpeg
6F8F1C79-2791-4F5D-B434-2D2F7F836240.jpeg (148.47 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
91CC9357-22F0-4797-9F42-24DDEE3265E5.jpeg
91CC9357-22F0-4797-9F42-24DDEE3265E5.jpeg (331.6 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
This user liked this post: ropecatchmonkey

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:06 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:You’ve changed your tune.
No I haven't, not at all. If you think dredging up old posts to have a go at me is fine then do it but it is making you look pretty stupid to be honest.

We had applause for Peter Noble rather than silence because that's what his family requested. It was done BEFORE the game, not during it.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

taio

Post by taio » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:08 pm

ClaretTony wrote:No I haven't, not at all. If you think dredging up old posts to have a go at me is fine then do it but it is making you look pretty stupid to be honest.

We had applause for Peter Noble rather than silence because that's what his family requested. It was done BEFORE the game, not during it.
Yes, totally different.

Awayfromburnley
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Post by Awayfromburnley » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:08 pm

Now don’t get me started on those that clap a funeral parade!!!!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:15 pm

ClaretTony wrote: We had applause for Peter Noble rather than silence because that's what his family requested.
No different.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:17 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:No different.
Yeah, you’ve deliberately edited out the next line which DOES explain why it’s different.
These 2 users liked this post: wilks_bfc nil_desperandum

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:20 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:Yeah, you’ve deliberately edited out the next line which DOES explain why it’s different.
Of course he has, because he's done his usual and jumped onto his have a go at me bandwagon. I'd say it's pathetic but in this instance it's actually shameful.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:22 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:So we are having one on 57, 60 & 64?
I wonder if Jose Mourinho will be making a comment on this.......
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretTony paulatky

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:25 pm

It’s been said time and time again but some people are struggling to grasp it - nobody has an issue with moments of respect/reflection BEFORE the game.

It’s the multiple moments in each game during the game that have become an issue, and as there now so many the meaning of them has become diluted in my opinion.

And comparing those to those like last week or for Remembrance Day is ridiculous
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:31 pm

jrgbfc wrote:The confused looks on their faces before they start clapping is a bit of a give away.
Thought you'd be watching the game, not looking at people's faces!

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:51 pm

I think that one applause we can all agree on is the one at the end of the match when we've won.

Come on BURNLEY!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:20 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Of course he has, because he's done his usual and jumped onto his have a go at me bandwagon. I'd say it's pathetic but in this instance it's actually shameful.
Not really.

People deal with grief in different ways. And if this helps those who have lost someone so be it. If you don’t agree that’s fine. But don’t disrespect it.

Someone I know of past recently. None of us will ever get adulation from playing. But if this is one way people can chant their name and clap then why not.

Some of them have friends and family far and wide around the world. And many can’t attend. But they can see a picture (or even a video) of their loved one being remembered at a place that brought so much joy to them.

What’s the issue in either joining in or ignoring.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:48 pm

Well at least it’s four a piece on celebrations

KefkaClaret
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 190 times

Post by KefkaClaret » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:52 pm

Is it a death for every goal conceded?

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2318 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:30 pm

2 more again today, I didn't join in. And I felt bad for not joining in but it is tedious and ridiculous.