Eng v NZL world cup semi ( Rugby )

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IanMcL
Been Liked: 6386 times
Has Liked: 8732 times

Re: Eng v NZL world cup semi ( Rugby )

Post by IanMcL » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:33 pm

From what I saw, before setting off, an exceptional performance.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8518 times
Has Liked: 18264 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:44 pm

IanMcL wrote:From what I saw, before setting off, an exceptional performance.
Was up Mt Teide Ian during the 2nd half as when we went up it was 1/2 time and 10-0 .... then checked my phone when we got back down and there we were 19-7 with 3 minutes to go I shouted out the result and the party went wild :D :D

Lets hope for similar at 7,30 tonight at Turf Moor.....

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6386 times
Has Liked: 8732 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:47 pm

19-7 would do me Bosscat! :D

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:37 pm

DCWat wrote:I think it’s a very apt comparison. Or are you saying that footballers are generally lower class and therefore can’t act in a sportsmanlike way?

The nonsense in football would soon stop if something proper was done about it.
no, I am not saying anything remotely like that about footballers.
Rugby union is the preserve of the elite, the institutions like the BBC, with their highly paid media presenters adore it, as they do tennis and golf. They foist this stuff on the viewing public because they can. In turn, the media look for the wealthy jack the lad marketing angles to exploit it.
I hate rugby, and the fact that it has to be spoon fed to a largely unwillling public, is sickening.

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:53 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:Oh god, not that respect thing again, I've been hearing that for decades.
rugby has always been an elitist game with a miniscule following.
No comparison whatsoever with footballing culture is relevant.
At risk of point blank telling you that you are wrong - because I always feel that people deserve the benefit of the doubt - I have to say that if you go to, say, Wigan v. St. Helens, you might find the players are not such an "elite" as you think. At least, they are elite athletes who are teriffically fit, but they don't speak with plums in their mouths and they didn't, by and large, go to public schools.

And yet they still show respect to the referees. (And, incidentally, they also manage to be tackled without screaming in pain. And there is a school of thought that being jumped on by two or three twenty-stone heavies is generally more painful than being pushed in the back.)

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2472 times
Has Liked: 2008 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:14 pm

Organisers now looking to fine England for standing over the halfway line during the Hakka.
So they are allowed to intimidate you by doing their silly dance but when you man up to them you get fined. Crazy world.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:53 pm

dsr wrote:At risk of point blank telling you that you are wrong - because I always feel that people deserve the benefit of the doubt - I have to say that if you go to, say, Wigan v. St. Helens, you might find the players are not such an "elite" as you think. At least, they are elite athletes who are teriffically fit, but they don't speak with plums in their mouths and they didn't, by and large, go to public schools.

And yet they still show respect to the referees. (And, incidentally, they also manage to be tackled without screaming in pain. And there is a school of thought that being jumped on by two or three twenty-stone heavies is generally more painful than being pushed in the back.)
Last edited by conyoviejo on Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:53 pm

dsr wrote:At risk of point blank telling you that you are wrong - because I always feel that people deserve the benefit of the doubt - I have to say that if you go to, say, Wigan v. St. Helens, you might find the players are not such an "elite" as you think. At least, they are elite athletes who are teriffically fit, but they don't speak with plums in their mouths and they didn't, by and large, go to public schools.

Absolutely spot on DSR.. 8-)