The World on Fire - BBC drama

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

The World on Fire - BBC drama

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:00 pm

Anyone else watch this? How did the Polish kid get to France? I wish they’d employ a historian to help them through some of their gaffes.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Re: The World on Fire - BBC drama

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:06 pm

I've watched 3 episodes upto press I'm assuming episode 4 is available now, bit of a love story to it as well, the polish kid was getting bullied at school the last episode I watched.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:10 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:I've watched 3 episodes upto press I'm assuming episode 4 is available now, bit of a love story to it as well, the polish kid was getting bullied at school the last episode I watched.
Your not going to like episode five where they discuss a world after the war and how they hope europe unites and that their wishes are respected even after they’ve died.
This user liked this post: AndrewJB

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:35 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:I've watched 3 episodes upto press I'm assuming episode 4 is available now, bit of a love story to it as well, the polish kid was getting bullied at school the last episode I watched.
That Polish kid’s older brother - was hiding from Soviet and German troops in one episode, and then comes across a detachment of British soldiers. Did they travel all the way across Germany?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:17 am

Yes that was weird how he just appeared on the beach out of thin air,it's a decent drama but has some continuity issues,did he really think a solitary guy dressed in civvies wasn't going to stick out like a sore thumb on a beach full of uniformed soldiers.

I'd say the most powerful scenes were those set in Berlin,when the father of the epiletic child realised the depths the Nazis would sink to to ensure the purity of the master race,i'm not quite sure why he attacked the woman though,he claimed she was going to report the family to the authorities,but the authorities are well aware of his family's background anyway.

He does appear to be losing his mind and that can make people make irrational choices.

I found the banter between the officer and the sergeant amusing,typical gallows humour in a time of crisis.

You just know Lois and the RAF chap are going to become an item.

And Kasia Wow! she don''t no s**t does she,that's 2 Germans she's killed now,can't say i blame her they did shoot her mother in cold blood.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:22 am

They were in Danzig weren’t they? Think there was about 8 or 9 months between Danzig falling and Dunkirk so they certainly had the time to get across Germany.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:31 am

That Nazi woman in the factory was so ugly, the proprietor ironed out her wrinkles!

Sadly, for her, he was not very good at ironing.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:37 am

We started watching this but have been massively disappointed, so much so we've stopped, which is remarkable as my wife is a big Sean Bean fan.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:07 pm

For me, it's a thumbs up.

Obviously, there will be historical and dramatical mistakes and inconsistencies but, there are so many stories still to be told.

The Poles suffered terribly at the hands of the Nazis and the Soviets (Who could you dislike most between a rabid dog and a deranged bear?!). So many nations, especially the civilians, suffered. Roll with the programme and enjoy (correct word?) the drama.

I'm not a pacifist, but I hate War and its effects. Perhaps we should let VAR decide the outcome of any disputes!?!

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3171 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:56 pm

The "Dunkirk" scenes were filmed in St Annes

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:02 pm

Started watching this with some interest - which soon petered out. Quite dull, I think.

Jel
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 1169 times

Post by Jel » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:07 pm

A poor story well filmed!

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:58 pm

AndrewJB wrote:That Polish kid’s older brother - was hiding from Soviet and German troops in one episode, and then comes across a detachment of British soldiers. Did they travel all the way across Germany?
The german/Soviet pact of 1939 & danzig became west prussia, most of the western poland was annexed by german, following danzig it moves onto the Warsaw ghettos I think, it's a couple of weeks since I last watched a episode, so why would they need to travel across Germany? To avoid travelling through germany dropping into czechoslovkia & Austria & working into Eastern France could have been a route, albeit a longer 1.
Last edited by Jakubclaret on Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:13 pm

Some clever filming ,Wigan was used as Paris in some scenes!

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:59 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:The german/Soviet pact of 1939 & danzig became west prussia, most of the western poland was annexed by german, following danzig it moves onto the Warsaw ghettos I think, it's a couple of weeks since I last watched a episode, so why would they need to travel across Germany? To avoid travelling through germany dropping into czechoslovkia & Austria & working into Eastern France could have been a route, albeit a longer 1.
Czechoslovakia and Austria were controlled by German troops. Two armed Poles would have struggled to get across Germany, and without papers or food would have needed the help of Germans willing to risk their lives.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:08 pm

AndrewJB wrote:Czechoslovakia and Austria were controlled by German troops. Two armed Poles would have struggled to get across Germany, and without papers or food would have needed the help of Germans willing to risk their lives.
True I agree, it's unrealistic as are most dramas you've just got to go along with it & forget the Flaws, the insignias seems OK, at that particular time remember with the SS patrols concentrating on large settlements in order to make good a escape going to the wilderness was safer, albeit with its own set of problems, hypothermia & starvation.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:29 pm

It’s not that bad for the “ heartbeat / mummsy/ box ticky Sunday night slot Imo . Great cast and looks decent but it’s pretty dull and cliched with a touch of whimsy,though the Germans are nasty wicked Nazis , the women brave and there was even a huge gay black man , what more do you need .

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:01 pm

It's pretend!!!!!

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:09 pm

Grumps wrote:It's pretend!!!!!
Shush - AndrewJB thinks it's real :roll:
These 2 users liked this post: Grumps DHClaret

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:59 pm

Just finished watching. Thought it was a very good watch. Series 2 should be good.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:50 pm

Dyched wrote:Just finished watching. Thought it was a very good watch. Series 2 should be good.
Yes it definitely deserves a 2nd series,the acting is top notch from all the cast,and crucially it portrays the grim reality of war for the civilian population as well as the miltary,you might have to wait a while for the next set of episodes as this season took 2 years to create.

If all goes to plan there's 6 seasons in the pipeline covering the entire wartime period,this is the type of high quality production that the BBC do very well.

longsidetrumpet
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by longsidetrumpet » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:25 pm

Poor fare really. Some TV drama is very good at the moment, but this was a huge disappointment, abandoned halfway through episode one. The Accident I gave about the same amount of time to, totally unreal.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:33 am

longsidetrumpet wrote:Poor fare really. Some TV drama is very good at the moment, but this was a huge disappointment, abandoned halfway through episode one. The Accident I gave about the same amount of time to, totally unreal.
So you’ve managed to assess a war time drama series based on the first 30 minutes when, if I remember correctly, the war hadn’t even started!
This user liked this post: karatekid

longsidetrumpet
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by longsidetrumpet » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:48 pm

martin_p wrote:So you’ve managed to assess a war time drama series based on the first 30 minutes when, if I remember correctly, the war hadn’t even started!
What you mean, during the Phoney War? Everything about this production smelled phoney from the start. I see it was in the Sunday night snooze slot

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:26 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:Shush - AndrewJB thinks it's real :roll:
When they’ve made so many efforts (and spent so much money) to make a quality historical drama, you’d think having a couple of historians on board to stop obvious errors would be a no brained. A Pole might have escaped to Sweden, or across the Rumanian frontier in the south - so no need to change the main story. And the Ju87 was a dive bomber, so wouldn’t have dropped bombs in a swooping attack. They were used as a weapon of terror as well - the whistles attached to their undercarriage producing a screech as they dived, which they were encouraged to do repeatedly even after dropping their bombs in order to instill more fear. I don’t think I’m asking for a lot in asking the writers and directors to be more faithful to reality.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:04 pm

AndrewJB wrote:When they’ve made so many efforts (and spent so much money) to make a quality historical drama, you’d think having a couple of historians on board to stop obvious errors would be a no brained. A Pole might have escaped to Sweden, or across the Rumanian frontier in the south - so no need to change the main story. And the Ju87 was a dive bomber, so wouldn’t have dropped bombs in a swooping attack. They were used as a weapon of terror as well - the whistles attached to their undercarriage producing a screech as they dived, which they were encouraged to do repeatedly even after dropping their bombs in order to instill more fear. I don’t think I’m asking for a lot in asking the writers and directors to be more faithful to reality.
Ok then, but you also need to realise & acknowledge that in order for this happen across the board additional expenses will be incurred, at a time of austerity which you keep reminding other people about on the political threads, realistically a price hike for the TV licence will be necessary or you make allowances for odd flaws.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:54 am

AndrewJB wrote:When they’ve made so many efforts (and spent so much money) to make a quality historical drama, you’d think having a couple of historians on board to stop obvious errors would be a no brained. A Pole might have escaped to Sweden, or across the Rumanian frontier in the south - so no need to change the main story. And the Ju87 was a dive bomber, so wouldn’t have dropped bombs in a swooping attack. They were used as a weapon of terror as well - the whistles attached to their undercarriage producing a screech as they dived, which they were encouraged to do repeatedly even after dropping their bombs in order to instill more fear. I don’t think I’m asking for a lot in asking the writers and directors to be more faithful to reality.
I’m well behind on it to be honest, just finished episode 5, you’ve also got the fit English & polish birds in the drama, sod the historians & the odd WW2 mistakes it’s better to feature some attractive women & spend money that way, you are more forgiving with historical mistakes, I couldn’t care less if the panzers look like 7TPs or BT-2s.